• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

shingi70

Banned
I find marvel and DC approaches interesting. Marvel has about 3 full events going on right after another with CW2, IvX, MU, and secret empire.

DC has JL v SS, but surely Superman Reborn and the button are similar to events even if they don't feel like it. Maybe marvel needs to look at having less line wide events and going back to having family crossovers.

I find marvel and DC approaches interesting. Marvel has about 3 full events going on right after another with CW2, IvX, MU, and secret empire.

DC has JL v SS, but surely Superman Reborn and the button are similar to events even if they don't feel like it. Maybe marvel needs to look at having less line wide events and going back to having family crossovers.

I see Button as more of a cross-over, with the publicity of an event due to the subject matter. Superman Reborn seems like it should be somewhat of an event but doesn't seem to be getting much notice. Maybe I'm wrong on the notice front though.

I'm usually not really a fan of many cross-overs either unless they're handled well inside the individual books. If it's set up well and has a purpose and isn't just meant to be an easy way to get fans from one book to the other.

giphy.gif

mreddie

Maybe with IvX/Monsters, they'll double ship it with splitting Saiz and Acuna for the art but you know Axel is gonna delay it till fucking 2018

Civil War II: The Oath: Hmmm. I dunno I had mixed feelings about this issue. There are some allusions to the rise of Trumpism, but in the context of a super hero world. I'm not sure that's a good idea. It's problematic.

I'm curious about the logistics of this issue's massive delays, considering how heavily this ties into today's Captain Hydra #10 (I don't think this is even worth reading unless you are already reading Captain Hydra and read that first...even then, ehhh). It's not like that book stopped publishing and waited for CWII to catch up. Is this why that book has felt like it's been spinning its wheels the past few issues? It's interesting to think about.

Civil War II: The Oath: Hmmm. I dunno I had mixed feelings about this issue. There are some allusions to the rise of Trumpism, but in the context of a super hero world. I'm not sure that's a good idea. It's problematic.

I'm curious about the logistics of this issue's massive delays, considering how heavily this ties into today's Captain Hydra #10 (I don't think this is even worth reading unless you are already reading Captain Hydra and read that first...even then, ehhh). It's not like that book stopped publishing and waited for CWII to catch up. Is this why that book has felt like it's been spinning its wheels the past few issues? It's interesting to think about.
I honestly think the delays to CWII came down to a few things outside of the child birth that's the official reason the delays happened(you'd think with 9 months to prepare they would have either brought on a new artist for the post-birth issues from the start or planned for delays). Not expanded the event with issues were nothing happened.

Edit: Probably the final Dillion tribute.

Messi

I honestly think the delays to CWII came down to a few things outside of the child birth that's the official reason the delays happened(you'd think with 9 months to prepare they would have either brought on a new artist for the post-birth issues from the start or planned for delays). Not expanded the event with issues were nothing happened.

Edit: Probably the final Dillion tribute.

More issues = more money. It's nothing to do with delays. People still buy that shit in droves.

Civil War II: The Oath:There are some allusions to the rise of Trumpism, but in the context of a super hero world. I'm not sure that's a good idea. It's problematic.

I want to expand on this.

It reminds me of Zootopia.

I think the messages of Zootopia about xenophobia and racism are well-intended and generally good, except for one kinda major problem. The issues are presented in the context of a world where the minority that is discriminated against really is biologically engineered to kill "people," and there is a history there where that was pretty much how they spent every waking moment and almost every ounce of energy. It's not totally unreasonable for everyone else to react the way they did to the events of the movie given these circumstances.

This is an especially significant issue because some people really believe this, that some people are just born to be worse because of their race or ethnicity

It's almost become a common joke, hasn't it, that if mutants were real they would be lucky if shipping them off to Genosha was the worst thing that happened to them. And in a world where super heroes and villains exist and cause massive destruction every day, you would not be unreasonable to never leave your house again. And then your neighborhood gets leveled when the Sentinels come from the mutant teenager living two doors down, and then where do you go? It would inflict a state of constant madness and fear that would be intolerable to most reasonable people.

So for Cap to make these arguments of "well no wonder, you mocked them for being afraid," and tie certain images and concepts associated with Trump to Hydra and the Secret Empire story is problematic because the context of this fictional world is completely different. It's no coincidence that
Cap's ascension back to S.H.I.E.L.D. director comes just as that position is granted expanded powers, making him the most powerful man in the world as we move into this story
. These allusions seem pretty clear to me. And I'm not sure this is a good way to address these issues.

More issues = more money. It's nothing to do with delays. People still buy that shit in droves.
Yeah, more issues added actually had nothing to do with the delays. If you see a big seller getting delayed at marvel, more than likely its result of the company trying to maximize profit for all quarters.

I want to expand on this.

It reminds me of Zootopia.

I think the messages of Zootopia about xenophobia and racism are well-intended and generally good, except for one kinda major problem. The issues are presented in the context of a world where the minority that is discriminated against really is biologically engineered to kill "people," and there is a history there where that was pretty much how they spent every waking moment and almost every ounce of energy. It's not totally unreasonable for everyone else to react the way they did to the events of the movie given these circumstances.

This is an especially significant issue because some people really believe this, that some people are just born to be worse because of their race or ethnicity

It's almost become a common joke, hasn't it, that if mutants were real they would be lucky if shipping them off to Genosha was the worst thing that happened to them. And in a world where super heroes and villains exist and cause massive destruction every day, you would not be unreasonable to never leave your house again. And then your neighborhood gets leveled when the Sentinels come from the mutant teenager living two doors down, and then where do you go? It would inflict a state of constant madness and fear that would be intolerable to most reasonable people.

So for Cap to make these arguments of "well no wonder, you mocked them for being afraid," and tie certain images and concepts associated with Trump to Hydra and the Secret Empire story is problematic because the context of this fictional world is completely different. It's no coincidence that
Cap's ascension back to S.H.I.E.L.D. director comes just as that position is granted expanded powers, making him the most powerful man in the world as we move into this story
. These allusions seem pretty clear to me. And I'm not sure this is a good way to address these issues.

It's the problem of trying to use the X-men and mutants as a metaphor for real-life race relations since the X-men teams, historically, have been really white.

As much as I'm enjoying Spencer on the Captain America books, I'm also wary of him venturing into real-world allusions. With Sam Wilson, the racism and discrimination he faces is personal. We experience it as personal instead of metaphor. In trying to make broader allusions to real-world events, the allusion overtakes character.

It's my problem with most genre "metaphor/allusion" stories; the focus turns to mapping the fiction plot with real world events. The metaphor becomes a puzzle. With this allusion what is Spencer actually trying to say? Right now, he seems to be explaining the allusion and stepping back to say "See? This fictional super hero story is almost like what's happening in real life! Is your mind blown?!"

Black Monday murders tpb is out

I wanna buy it

But I also wanna tweet at Hickman to ask him how many issues it'll last before he loses interest and drops it

mreddie

I find it funny DC is setting up an event where they find hope in darkness while Marvel is setting up a event that is dark.

Yeah, the symbolism loses meaning when you have a bunch of gods, aliens and superpowered beings saving the day from disaster. I get the symbolism from the Cap books but with the Oath thing, "YOU MOCKED THEM FOR BEING AFRAID"

Afraid from what? You saved the public a hundred times! Unless you slipped in some Ls, it makes no sense!

Owzers

I find it funny DC is setting up an event where they find hope in darkness while Marvel is setting up a event that is dark.

Yeah, the symbolism loses meaning when you have a bunch of gods, aliens and superpowered beings saving the day from disaster. I get the symbolism from the Cap books but with the Oath thing, "YOU MOCKED THEM FOR BEING AFRAID"

Afraid from what? You saved the public a hundred times! Unless you slipped in some Ls, it makes no sense!

DC is setting up an event they can include more button incentives with.

Paper Girls 9 and 10 are still more weird than good.

Dcbs emailed me about not having an order placed yet for this month...they know I'm thinking about a flop drop.

HAHAHAHAHAHA Just got an email from Mondo saying the Ramona Flowers figure got delayed to the second quarter. They say there are quality issues they want to improve, meaning the final production piece was dog shit.

COMICS! |OT| February 2017 It'll Happen and We'll Read It

This isn't bad, but I was hoping for something Valentine's Day-related. I'm too lazy to think of a title this month, so you guys handle it.

Wait didn't Alan Moore write Tank Girl or was that another author?

Tank Girl was created by Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin. At least you got the initials of one guy right.

Owzers

HAHAHAHAHAHA Just got an email from Mondo saying the Ramona Flowers figure got delayed to the second quarter. They say there are quality issues they want to improve, meaning the final production piece was dog shit.

This isn't bad, but I was hoping for something Valentine's Day-related. I'm too lazy to think of a title this month, so you guys handle it.

Tank Girl was created by Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin. At least you got the initials of one guy right.

COMICS lOTl February 2017. You're never alone when you have comics! Still sad though.

Uh, did you read the link? Didn't look like "dog" "shit". Just a shading issue.

But sure...people making cool things are dumb and stupid and pull constant choke jobs?

Seems like a dope attitude for 2017 in America.

Owzers

Uh, did you read the link? Didn't look like "dog" "shit". Just a shading issue.

But sure...people making cool things are dumb and stupid and pull constant choke jobs?

Seems like a dope attitude for 2017 in America.
Statues are a menace to good comic reading people everywhere. All we ask for are good paint jobs, hair pieces being glued on correctly and for parts to not be broken off.

Mindwipe

"COMICS! |OT| February 2017: Happy Valiant Day! No, wait, that's not right..."

I have to be honest, Secret Empire looks like it might be quite good as Marvel events go. Cap has been pretty consistently their best book for like a decade now.

Top Bottom