• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

mreddie

Why? I've been curious about it for awhile now.

He fits with DC, couldn't get anything to click at Marvel.

It's weird since John's lineup is the traditional lineup.

Lemire and Sorrentino off OML? That's that book done for me then. I'm grateful for what we've had of it. I think it's been top quality.

But I would be happy to see Lemire do less corporate comics. Sweet Tooth is probably my favorite series of all time. I would like for to him to direct his creativity towards solo efforts.

I think Lemire is calming down on the Big 2.

shingi70

Banned
Just realized the flash of China that's on the cover of Apirls New Superman is the same girl who got her speed during the first story arc of the flash comic.

After reading chrononauts and Tokyo ghost, I'll probably read Joe the barbarian and the wake and maybe I'll figure out why SGM can't seem to draw a good comic with good writers.

Owzers

I read three issues of Paper Girls, 6-8, still seems kinda good but doesn't do much for me, the plot is still kinda goofy.

frye

After reading chrononauts and Tokyo ghost, I'll probably read Joe the barbarian and the wake and maybe I'll figure out why SGM can't seem to draw a good comic with good writers.

report back when you do, my dude's inability to go above "just okay" no matter who he's working with is one of the great mysteries of modern comics

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Alex Ross is too good.

v6AhB24.jpg

I just noticed that the World of Wakanda creative team that Marvel promoted as their first time having a black woman writing is already gone in the solicits. That didn't take long.

Damnit. I got too wasted this past weekend and when I jumped into bed and fell out of it I caused a raukus of things to fall including my Samsung Tab S 10.5. It don work no more. Should I just get another one?

There isn't an approximately 11 inch OLED tablet is there? I took a look online and got a bit confused, so I guess not. Man, having a gf has really drained my finances. I don't need to be spending the money but a tablet to read comics is just perfect for my situation of reading while other half is asleep. Always have trades, but need a tablet too.

Thank god my MBP didn't get trashed, but I am itching to read comics in the night time.

Sandfox

I just noticed that the World of Wakanda creative team that Marvel promoted as their first time having a black woman writing is already gone in the solicits. That didn't take long.
The way the book works is that it brings a writer in to tell a story about certain people from Wakanda(hence the title) and then someone else comes in when they are done to tell a story. Gay's story ends with #5.

Hobobloke

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I've been out of comics ever since the mid/end of 2013 (and even then I'd only been reading a year or two) and wanted to get some advice on what was worth continuing out of what i was reading.

I know I'll pick up what I've missed of Chew and Saga and I bought the volumes of Superior Spidey I didn't have when they were on sale on CMX a little bit ago.

The ones I'm not sure about are:

Thor: God of Thunder (pretty keen to at least finish the god-bomb arc)
FF
The Manhattan Projects
East of West
Lazarus

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I've been out of comics ever since the mid/end of 2013 (and even then I'd only been reading a year or two) and wanted to get some advice on what was worth continuing out of what i was reading.

I know I'll pick up what I've missed of Chew and Saga and I bought the volumes of Superior Spidey I didn't have when they were on sale on CMX a little bit ago.

FF
The Manhattan Projects
East of West
Lazarus

Definitely stick with East of West and Lazarus.

PsychBat!

Banned

FF
The Manhattan Projects
East of West
Lazarus

Thor God of Thunder is superb comics, I can't recommend it enough.
RECOMMENDED

FF by Hickman will seem weird if you're missing any of the nuance of the other book by Hickman (Fantastic Four specifically #570–588, don't worry about reading anything before that) but boy oh boy it's totally worth it. Arguably Hickman's best work at Marvel, it's like, imagine seeing Hickman LITERALLY making ideas with his hands and feet out of thin air like he's controlling the cosmos around him AND pulling thoughts from your head from behind your ear and smacking you with your own thoughts. That's Fantastic Four and FF (and by extension everything he's ever done at Marvel) in a nutshell. It is fantastical and scientific and somehow the most human story he's ever written. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED

Now The Manhattan Projects... my favorite Hickman book overall, is bonkers. These characters that he has made in this book, they're not good people, he wants you to know that. They're terrible beings, I would go so far as to say they're not human anymore so expect the WORST that humanity has wrought here. Expect the most insane shit to go down in this book from cannibal aliens to super commies and that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you like watching the world burn through alternative historical fiction all in the name of SCIENCE and PROGRESS then this is your acid.
STRONGLY RECOMMENDED

It's been a while since I've read East of West, but what I do remember is that Hickman does a stupendous job with world building and this might be his best work when it comes to that. But I've heard positive things recently so I think people here would give you a good thumbs up on it.

Doom Patrol

Yup, still amazing. That cassette tape placement is grooooooosssss.

Flash

It seems like this book is on some kind of turn around. I think this is the third issue in a row that I have really really liked after almost dropping it. Nice to see the Rogues back.

Teen Titans

This book stays pretty good. Felt like not much really happened though.

Deathstroke

I was not a fan of this issue. The "point" of the issue just seemed really heavy handed and by time it said "All of us" I couldn't help but laugh. Plus the art was very sketch-like and came across as a mess to me. I came around a little bit by the end but only because it was less heavy handed or preachy than the first half.

Odyssey of the Amazons

This book was kind of hard to get into with it throwing a confusing battle and a shit ton of characters at you right from the start, but once I got around that I thought this book was awesome. It just seemed like a rough way to start a number 1 issue to me, it will probably end up being pretty polarizing because of that. I thought it ended up paying off for sticking through by the end.

Hal and the Green Lantern Corps

This was a straight up rip off. It felt like an elongated preview that was charged for. It was a comic equivalent of a clip show. It felt like a third of this issue was just large splash pages. Sure the art looked nice but this was an absolute pointless issue. If interested in spoilers and want to find out what I mean before getting:
It goes 60 years in the future to a grandmother on Xudar talking to her grand kids about the first time she saw Green Lanterns as they beat Starro. Then it does a run down with huge splash pages of the Green Lanterns and that is basically it. At the end you get a tease that her and her husband at some point become GL partners with what's his name from this planet...
That's it...

It was really dumb with some nice art.

kmfdmpig

Damnit. I got too wasted this past weekend and when I jumped into bed and fell out of it I caused a raukus of things to fall including my Samsung Tab S 10.5. It don work no more. Should I just get another one?

There isn't an approximately 11 inch OLED tablet is there? I took a look online and got a bit confused, so I guess not. Man, having a gf has really drained my finances. I don't need to be spending the money but a tablet to read comics is just perfect for my situation of reading while other half is asleep. Always have trades, but need a tablet too.

Thank god my MBP didn't get trashed, but I am itching to read comics in the night time.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I've been using a Tab S 10.5 for years and haven't found a worthy replacement yet for reading comics. The screen is just too good and the aspect ratio is perfect for portrait reading.

There are rumors that iPads will adopt OLED in the future, in which case the iPad Pro would become the clear best tablet for comics (even though the aspect ratio is not as close to that of a comic page the size more than makes up for it). There are also rumors that Google is working on Chrome OS tablets that can run Android apps. If that's true I expect we'll see more high end options again. Finally, Samsung is coming out with an Galaxy Tab S3, but I suspect that will just be a faster Tab S 2, which is an Android take on the iPad with the iPad's aspect ration and lower resolution.

If I were you I'd either buy a used Tab S again or else get something cheap as a stopgap for a year or two until there are better options. Something like this would work if you'd want to stick to Android:
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/asus-zenbook-3s-10

Many in this community prefer iPads, so those are an option as well, albeit a more expensive one.

I was reading up on some of the 2000s X-Men events... and from what I read of the Age of X summary it was straight up trash. Like... wow.

How did y'all manage to sit through that while it was occurring?

tim1138

Hal and the Green Lantern Corps

This was a straight up rip off. It felt like an elongated preview that was charged for. It was a comic equivalent of a clip show. It felt like a third of this issue was just large splash pages. Sure the art looked nice but this was an absolute pointless issue. If interested in spoilers and want to find out what I mean before getting:
It goes 60 years in the future to a grandmother on Xudar talking to her grand kids about the first time she saw Green Lanterns as they beat Starro. Then it does a run down with huge splash pages of the Green Lanterns and that is basically it. At the end you get a tease that her and her husband at some point become GL partners with what's his name from this planet...
That's it...

It was really dumb with some nice art.

The most interesting of the splash pages was the
the multitude of evil power rings being sent off to find bearers. Not all that thrilled about the War of Light rehash

the multitude of evil power rings being sent off to find bearers. Not all that thrilled about the War of Light rehash

I read a few of the earlier issues of Hal Jordan and its certainly better than the new 52 series but it feels like GL is stuck working with Johns' stuff. They really need to do something different if the book is going to be interesting again.

Green Lanterns in general have a lot of shit going on on the backburner right now.
There is the evil rings, there's the red lanterns where they were left on in GL's(being successful but GL's thinking they weren't, Larfleeze escaped and Volthoom mascurading as Rami.

tim1138

Green Lanterns in general have a lot of shit going on on the backburner right now.
There is the evil rings, there's the red lanterns where they were left on in GL's(being successful but GL's thinking they weren't, Larfleeze escaped and Volthoom mascurading as Rami.

I'm really interested to see the
Volthoom arc play out and see how Humphries connects Volthoom from the First Lantern stuff to Power Ring from Earth 3 and Forever Evil
in Green Lanterns.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I've been using a Tab S 10.5 for years and haven't found a worthy replacement yet for reading comics. The screen is just too good and the aspect ratio is perfect for portrait reading.

There are rumors that iPads will adopt OLED in the future, in which case the iPad Pro would become the clear best tablet for comics (even though the aspect ratio is not as close to that of a comic page the size more than makes up for it). There are also rumors that Google is working on Chrome OS tablets that can run Android apps. If that's true I expect we'll see more high end options again. Finally, Samsung is coming out with an Galaxy Tab S3, but I suspect that will just be a faster Tab S 2, which is an Android take on the iPad with the iPad's aspect ration and lower resolution.

If I were you I'd either buy a used Tab S again or else get something cheap as a stopgap for a year or two until there are better options. Something like this would work if you'd want to stick to Android:
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/asus-zenbook-3s-10

Many in this community prefer iPads, so those are an option as well, albeit a more expensive one.

Thanks for all the advice, and yeah man, it is very very unfortunate. Reading comics on it is quite amazing, and it's really annoying not having it handy. Hell, I could trade my PS4 Pro in for one and get extra cash. At the end of the month I will get paid but I need to be more careful with my money now, sadly.

The price for a used one also hasn't really gone down. But a faster one, also won't be of much use to me.

kmfdmpig

Thanks for all the advice, and yeah man, it is very very unfortunate. Reading comics on it is quite amazing, and it's really annoying not having it handy. Hell, I could trade my PS4 Pro in for one and get extra cash. At the end of the month I will get paid but I need to be more careful with my money now, sadly.

The price for a used one also hasn't really gone down. But a faster one, also won't be of much use to me.

If you're in the US it looks like they're around $200 on ebay and $250 on Amazon, which seems high for a 2.5 year old used tablet, but as you say, for comics there is no real need for more speed.

kmfdmpig

Is Hal Jordan any good, I thought the last run was lame, but I really liked Vendettis work on XO manowar.

It's pretty good. I wouldn't put it up against Johns' or Tomasi's runs from several years ago, but it's a solid book and the stronger of the two GL books (although the other Green Lanterns book has been pretty good recently as well).

Top Bottom