• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Image Solicits for April!

Some of the new stuff.......

STL040507-231x350.jpg

BLACK CLOUD #1 (MR)
(W) Jason Latour, Ivan Brandon (A/CA) Greg Hinkle, Matt Wilson
SERIES PREMIERE
Zelda was born in a world of dreams, and hers burned bigger than anyone had ever seen.
Now she’s on the run in our world, the dreams broken in her hands.
But the pieces are for sale, the rich and the powerful are buying, and suddenly her world isn’t the only place Zelda’s running from.
From the creators that brought you Spider-Gwen, SOUTHERN BASTARDS, and DRIFTER, and the incredible colorist of THE WICKED + THE DIVINE, comes a place where dreams come true–and today, they go to war.

STL040743-227x350.jpg

ROSE #1 CVR A GUARA
(W) Meredith Finch (A/CA) Ig Guara
SERIES PREMIERE
A classic fantasy tale about a girl trying to restore balance to a broken world. Rose must connect with her Khat-Thorne-to become the Guardian the world needs. But things aren’t easy for Rose and Thorne, the powerful sorcerous Drucilla has many powerful and demonic allies-all of them focused on stopping one scared little girl who’s desperately trying to stay alive and do what’s right. Written by MEREDITH FINCH (Wonder Woman, Little Mermaid), and drawn by fan-favorite artist IG GUARA (Batman: Arkham Knight, Blue Beetle, The Ravagers).

STL040745-233x350.jpg

PLASTIC #1 (OF 5) CVR A ROBINSON (MR)
(W) Doug Wagner (A) Daniel Hillyard, Laura Martin (CA) Andrew Robinson
SERIES PREMIERE
Retired serial killer Edwyn Stoffgruppen is in love with Virginia, a girl he “met online.” Her affection quiets his vile urges. Together, they tour the back roads of America in their LTD, eating doughnuts and enjoying their healthy appetites for each other. Life is good…until a Louisiana billionaire kidnaps Virginia, forcing Edwyn to kill again in exchange for her freedom.
Oh, and did we mention that Virginia is a sex doll?
“This is the weirdest shit I’ve ever read. I love it!” – ROBERT KIRKMAN (THE WALKING DEAD, OUTCAST BY KIRMAN & AZACETA, INVINCIBLE)

STL040748-229x350.jpg

ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN #1 (MR)
(W/A/CA) Kyle Starks
SERIES PREMIERE
Eisner-nominated comic creator, KYLE STARKS (SEXCASTLE), would like to invite you to enter the magical world of hobos. The world’s toughest hobo is searching through post-World War II America for the mythological Rock Candy Mountain, and he’s going to have to fight his way to get there. Lots of hobo fights. So many hobo fights.
A new action-comedy series full of high action, epic stakes, magic, friendships, trains, punching, kicking, joking, a ton of hobo nonsense, and the Literal Devil. Yeah. The Literal Devil.

Sandfox

I like how in The Oath Spencer pokes at
how wrong it is that the heroes "biggest battles" are always against each other. I expect Secret Empire to buck this trend.

It's pretty funny how Steve pretty much took over the country this week and now we just need to wait for his aliens.
"COMICS! |OT| February 2017: Happy Valiant Day! No, wait, that's not right..."

I have to be honest, Secret Empire looks like it might be quite good as Marvel events go. Cap has been pretty consistently their best book for like a decade now.

This event will actually have more than a year of build up unlike most other events.

Messi

SEX CRIMINALS #18 XXX ERICA HENDERSON VAR (MR)
(W) Matt Fraction (A) Chip Zdarsky (CA) Erica Henderson
Erica Henderson graces the cover of the OTHER comic obsessed with nuts and butts with her pervy pen. Insides are all the same though (SORRY). (STL040977)
MATURE THEMES
32pgs, FC SRP: $4.69

Perfect

Elsa Charretier did a Wicked and the Divine cover

How is the Patsy Walker a.k.a. Hellcat series? Thinking about picking up Vol. 1 because it looked interesting. Just finished up Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur and wanted something similar in tone.

Keep in mind I have no past familiarity with the character so would be going in completely blind.

Messi

That Deadly Class cover is suspect... Trying not to get my hopes up.

How is the Patsy Walker a.k.a. Hellcat series? Thinking about picking up Vol. 1 because it looked interesting. Just finished up Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur and wanted something similar in tone.

Keep in mind I have no past familiarity with the character so would be going in completely blind.

I wouldn't bother. Good art really simplistic writing. Just not at the same level as Moon Girl.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

I think that the first volume is worth checking out if you're interested. It falls off a bit after that (there's a whole Black Cat arc that's only ok) but the first 6 or so are nice solid light comic book action.

For backstory, all you need to know is that before she was a superhero, Patsy Walker starred in Archie style comics about teenagers in high school. This comes into play in the story.

Yep, it was always gonna be eight issues (though I do hope it will be back in some way)

Bummer. I didn't remember seeing comixology say # (of 8) before today.

I am so confused. Marvel news post hyped up Taskmaster vs. Steve Rogers in issue 10, but the issue with Task on the cover got bumped to 12. I guess marketing forgot that because they did a huge featurette on Tasky on their news mentioning issue 10.

Sandfox

I am so confused. Marvel news post hyped up Taskmaster vs. Steve Rogers in issue 10, but the issue with Task on the cover got bumped to 12. I guess marketing forgot that because they did a huge featurette on Tasky on their news mentioning issue 10.

Marvel changed up the issue order a while back and guessing it happened because Spencer decided to rewrite The Oath after it was pushed back.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

This list will most likely shrink between now and April but this it what I'm looking at right now.

BIRTHRIGHT #24
BLACK CLOUD #1
BLACK MONDAY MURDERS #5
BLACK ROAD #9
BLACK SCIENCE #30
COPPERHEAD #12
CURSE WORDS #4
DEADLY CLASS #28
DRIFTER #19
EAST OF WEST #34
FIX #9
I HATE FAIRYLAND #12
INJECTION #12
KILL OR BE KILLED #8
LAZARUS SOURCEBOOK #2 HOCK
MAGDALENA #2
MANIFEST DESTINY #28
MONSTRESS #12
MOTOR CRUSH #5
OLD GUARD #3
PAPER GIRLS #13
ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN #1
ROSE #1
SEVEN TO ETERNITY #5
SPREAD #21
WALKING DEAD #166
WICKED & DIVINE #28

The art is pretty cute. The character of Patsy is fun-loving and optimistic, which I liked. But, all said, the book is really not much better than ok. And goes downhill once Black Cat arrives.

Malyse

Monsters Unleashed is so much fun! At least the Avengers and SM/DP parts were...
The "To Be Concluded" in Black Panther concerns me.

Owzers

My banana bread I baked yesterday came out great, you can't even taste the paint.

Okay...there was no paint, but there were bananas.

Why do I get the feeling DC wants to relaunch Justice League Dark with Batman at the forefront?

YHaSZ9C.gif

I'm all for a Justice League Dark relaunch though. Zatanna deserves some spotlight, and I also miss Madame Xanadu.

I'm actually disappointed the latter wasn't in the animated movie.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
All caught up on Saga now

That was fantastic, not entirely surprised by the turn of events, but it was sad, and it was displayed beautifully imo

Malyse

Ghost Rider
is becoming increasingly comedically not about Ghost Rider. He was literally in 10 pages this issue and was out of frame in like half of those. GR straight up bailed halfway through the story. Like "fuck this I'm out" got in his car and drove the fuck away.

Ghost Rider
is becoming increasingly comedically not about Ghost Rider. He was literally in 10 pages this issue and was out of frame in like half of those. GR straight up bailed halfway through the story. Like "fuck this I'm out" got in his car and drove the fuck away.

That is hilarious

Lashley

Ghost Rider

Reason I dropped it after issue 1

The last bit did make me laugh though in your post

Malyse

That is hilarious
It really is. I think the writer pitched a Wolverine Hulk buddy comedy comic and was turned down, so now they're using GR to tell the story instead.
They even added Silk, Coulson, and May to the story. Ghost Rider has literally nothing to do with the plot right now, which is Hulk and Wolverine chasing this monster that's absorbing super powers.
Reason I dropped it after issue 1

The last bit did make me laugh though in your post

I'm ticking with it because I'm just curious how far they can push a Ghost Rider comic without Ghost Rider. This issues ends
with Silk calling Coulson and May so she along with Hulk and Wolverine can chase this thing into another part of the country.

Like, Robbie isn't even going with. He literally said, no, I'm cool here.
It's kinda amazing.

-----

I really love everything about Hulk. I love the art, I love the story, I love the coloring, everything.

Lashley

Finally read Reborn #1

The fantasy land Bonnie arrives in, is this meant to be heaven? Or some hallucination during her surgery?

Malyse

SS v JL 6
Boomerang: ... So lemme get this straight -- I'd be the only man on the island?
Wonder Woman: There'd still be no men on it.

Damn.

TheFlow

Banned
Lol why are you guys spoil tagging saga like that. It doesn't spoil anything and we already know it is a sad issue because of the words/gifs you guys are using around the tags.

Smh

Top Bottom