• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

TheFlow

Banned
People may not like every DC title but they love the direction DC is going. People love a selection of Marvel titles but they hate the direction Marvel is going. If your company had a good direction then people will stay on board regardless of the titles they put out.
It's marvel people are staying on board regardless

And boom is not on image level.

TheFlow

Banned
Do you ever get the feeling image creators have big ideas for the first arc and then don't know how to continue post arc one but they do anyway

They wish.

Maybe they should pay their creators on time first.
Stealth birthright discussion

Sandfox

Do you ever get the feeling image creators have big ideas for the first arc and then don't know how to continue post arc one but they do anyway
BKV probably gets his endings from a random word generator and uses his writing skills to make it work.

What your saying is true, but some writers plan out longer than others.

DC's next event should be a Crisis solely about Wonder Woman's origins.

The point of the Avengers book seems to be fro setting up
Avenger X who could be either a hero or villain depending on how the story goes.
They kind of did that with Donna Troy, I think.

And also that makes sense.

I believe he's known the ending of Saga since he started. But like most creative work how they get there ebbs and flows.

I loved reading about how Gaiman wrote Sandman. If my memory is correct his approach is throughout arcs he'd toss various things up in air and then if he felt compelled he'd pull them back down when it suited a newer arc. Which is why it's really fascinating to deee the connections and threads of characters and character associations when it's all complete. Something when I was reading it monthly was really hard to notice or see as it could be years before he'd take some minor note from an arc and pick it back up

That ties into the previous comments I saw in this page about Marvel for cancelling at 12-14 issues. Not all ideas lend themselves to 50+ issues. And even if the idea was sustainable, not all creators have the skill to maintain quality. Because of personal investment (and maybe the scale for breaking even), it looks like Image series lend themselves to persisting longer at lower sales whereas DC/Marvel editorial would have dropped them a lot sooner.

Was ordering some comics and just realized Jock is doing the next All Star Batman arc and holy shit now I'm hype. Gonna finish up the last two issues of All-Star I have tonight.

Sandfox

Both Whitley and Spencer are seperately discussing on twitter how comic fans think there's some sort of agenda whenever a legacy character isn't a white male. The replies people have made to defend that kind of thinking has been hilariously bad.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Monstress' monthly sales are slowly slipping but it's Vol 1 TPB is showing nice legs. It has sold 24K copies through its first 5 months.

mreddie

Both Whitley and Spencer are seperately discussing on twitter how comic fans think there's some sort of agenda whenever a legacy character isn't a white male. The replies people have made to defend that kind of thinking has been hilariously bad.

Give it to us and we will laugh.

Holy shit, Flintstones this week was another spot-on issue.

Was ordering some comics and just realized Jock is doing the next All Star Batman arc and holy shit now I'm hype. Gonna finish up the last two issues of All-Star I have tonight.

Haloid pls, don't you have more figures to buy?

:D

Reborn is a big hitter for Image comics. Millar moves units.

Ehhh.... I stopped after #2. Dipped too much into fantasy territory for me.

Sandfox

Give it to us and we will laugh.
Off the top of my head:
-one person saying Jane and Sam are bad replacements compared to Bucky and Dick because they are obscure characters
-Someone used potential hate over turning Misty Knight white as a way to prove some sort of double standard
-Spencer is currently arguing with a dude who is convinced that there's an sjw conspiracy at Marvel and anyone saying otherwise is lying.

There's a lot because it's been going on all day.

mreddie

Off the top of my head:
-one person saying Jane and Sam are bad replacements compared to Bucky and Dick because they are obscure characters
-Someone used potential hate over turning Misty Knight white as a way to prove some sort of double standard
-Spencer is currently arguing with a dude who is convinced that there's an sjw conspiracy at Marvel and anyone saying otherwise is lying.

There's a lot because it's been going on all day.

Shit, if Twitter happened in the 80s and 90s people would riot over Rhodey or Thunderstrike

Messi

Reborn is a mini? Oo

Yup. Capullo is needed for the big event.

Also

Sometimes he goes way too far

500x1000px-LL-f21ccd42_jz8ndk.jpeg

Well I am glad to know it is a mini. No way can the concept of the book go past 25 chapters without plot holes

It seems like a lot of books are ending up as minis now. Which I guess is a good thing since the industry has a pretty high turnover rate of new series at the moment.

Owzers

Nemesis was just a book on the road to never buying Millar books monthly, might get the Reborn trade pending finalized impressions.

Boogiepop

And I continue my chug through Valiant, following a reading order. Read through the second Eternal Warrior trade, the first Rai one, and the big old Armor Hunters deluxe thing today. So that... was a lot of comics. Thus far I've liked Valiant's stuff okay for the most part (Shadowman, while it hit an okay issue or two, was damn rocky pretty much the whole time), with some of them even proving pretty darn good, but nothing's really blown me away yet. As in I don't regret picking up or reading this stuff, but there's nothing here that I'd feel a strong need to pick up in physical or outside of a sale or whatever. Still, got a good bit left to read in the old digital backlog before I'm through it yet.

Top Bottom