• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Nemesis is basically "hey, what if Batman was (more of) an asshole?"

isn't "what if *created character* was more of an asshole" like 90% of Millar's output tbf

Do people in neogaf not like Valiant.

lJf4Ajb.png

caliph95

I'm just new so i was just confused about these valiant jokes and while i never been to any dedicated forums beside Neogaf in ages i assume at least comic fans don't hate Valiant.

I'm just new so i was just confused about these valiant jokes and while i never been to any dedicated forums beside Neogaf in ages i assume at least comic fans don't hate Valiant.

It's kind of a running joke. The Valiant banner for the first OT Messi and I made back in September looked like this:

o2pccFt.png

It was funnier when Launchpad posted all the time. He is a true Valiant fan.

I don't hate Valiant. I don't think about them at all

VanWinkle

It's just a long running joke. Valiant has some great stuff just like any other publisher.

Time for the listacular Almost-Completely Marvel-less list.

Detective Comics #948
Wonder Woman #14
Invisible Republic #14
Motor Crush #2
Jessica Jones #4
Deep #1

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
After three months of no Image Comics I've finally gotten caught up on all the new series that debuted in the second half of 2016. Here are the winners and losers....

Sticking With:
Kill or Be Killed
Black Monday Murders
Moonshine
Seven to Eternity
Violent Love

Dropped:
Horizon
Surgeon X
Glitterbomb

Undecided:
Motor Crush

After three months of no Image Comics I've finally gotten caught up on all the new series that debuted in the second half of 2016. Here are the winners and losers....

Sticking With:
Kill or Be Killed
Black Monday Murders
Moonshine
Seven to Eternity
Violent Love

Dropped:
Horizon
Surgeon X
Glitterbomb

Undecided:
Motor Crush
Isn't Black Monday going on hiatus?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Happy to be the dozenth person to say that Unbeatable Wasp is lovely. She's got a real Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt to her. Love the positivity, love the Mockingbird stuff. Absolutely love that she makes friends everywhere she is.

And the letters page with real life female scientists is the icing on the cake.

Fully recommend.

Old Man Logan #16
So let's start off by asking why the fuck
Dani is white? Or is she just really, really light-skinned? I don't recall her being that light in other iterations, but I may be remembering wrong
. That incredibly questionable incident aside, I thought this issue was pretty good, as most are. Returning to the overall storyline of Old Man Logan, we have a couple things that I want to point out:
Really? The Brood? Again? I just read this storyline in Astonishing X-Men. And also: I'm banking that it's a hallucination to fuck with Logan. Why would they bother to tie Danny up if they wiped everyone out?
This issue also has one of Sorrentino's best two-page spreads EVER. AMAZING.

Best solo book.

The Unworthy Thor #3
Daaaaaamn I was not expecting this to be as high on the cosmic tier as it is. I'm very curious though:
Thanos escaped from the Ultimates, but he had nothing beforehand. No allies, nothing. So when did he hook up with Proxima and Black Swan? And I'm very curious as to who is in the hood. Enchantress? Bill noted that the magic is familiar, the figure acknowledges familiarity with Thor, and the figure's speech text indicates Asgardian (or possibly one of the Greek pantheon?). The speech bubble is black, though, and I'm not familiar with any Asgardians using that type of speech, but it could be an effect of the hood.

It's very intriguing and the action in this book is super great.

Moon Knight #10
So this is the most straightforward issue of this book yet. I wasn't aware that
Marc was Jewish, or that he had been diagnosed since childhood. And the revelation that Khonshu had chosen him as his avatar when he was a child. I am intrigued as to whether or not Marc is actually his son, but I doubt it
. Artistically this issue is spectacular. I love the mind games it pulls. Smallwood and Bellaire do fine work indeed.

JTripper

Finally finished No Man's Land after years of putting it off only to constantly restart it and never get past Vol 1.

That was some fucking event. It starts and ends on such highs, and there are some really great issues throughout in between. My only complaint would be that it felt like it succumbed to the somewhat dated method of comic books in the 90s where tie ins and event-centric issues were just purely throwaway side stories that really didn't advance anything. Same problem I had while reading Knightfall, though No Man's Land handled it much better and definitely felt more modern as a result.

But, that's kind of also the event's biggest strength. It's about Gotham in ruins and everyone is scattered around trying to do stuff according to their own agenda, so in a way the scattershot-issue storytelling sorta makes sense here.

I finished Vol 4, the final one, in just a single day. The volume itself is basically just the entire final act and everything comes to a head, and it's glorious. The drama between Gordon, his family, the Batfam, Azrael and Cass (who share possibly the most joyful moment in the entire arc), Huntress and Pettit, Dr. Thompkins, that Two-Face court issue, THAT FUCKING LAST JOKER STORY, and that final New Year's Eve issue: Brilliant stuff (even if that final issue seemed to end everything kind of abruptly. I thought it still worked).

The arc also really made me love Cass, a character I never really warmed up to despite reading all of the recent stuff Tynion did with her in B&R Eternal and Tec. Definitely going to scout out the new trades of the early-2000s Batgirl run at some point.

On to Bruce Wayne: Murderer next!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Spread has caught my eye on a number of occasions but I never took the plunge. How is it?

I really liked the first two arcs. Third arc didn't quite grab me like the first two. There was an artist change so that probably had a little bit to do with it. Plus a few of the more interesting characters introduced in the second arc were absent in the third. Hoping they are brought back in this new arc. It's definitely worth a shot.

Green Arrow #13
I'm really enjoying this arc so far. A lot more enjoyable than those last two arcs. There's a lot of tension, and while there isn't a lot of physical action, there's enough going on that the attention grabbed and held. Truly a delightful issue. Curious as to
who the mayoral candidate is and what that's all about

Just a really cool arc so far. Although, what's "mansplaining"? Is that when a man explains something to a woman in a condescending way? Because that seemed like a weird way to use it.

Green Arrow #14
Hooooooo shit son! Revelations and action and shit! This is a nonstop action thrillride if there ever was one. Damn fine issue! Ollie gets his ass kicked in this book a lot though. Like shit Percy, give the boy a break once in awhile.

Midnighter and Apollo #4
Why is this one of the best books out there right now? Is because one of the villain factions is called the Lords of the Gun? Is it because it's an emotional tale of two lovers conquering hell itself? Or is it just because it's that fucking dope?

Titans #6
Man this issue was a blowout. It took awhile to get here, and mind you I lost a little bit of faith, but that emotional punch really got me. It wrangled me in way harder than before. While the ending tease is a bit whatever, the main arc coming up looks to be exciting. This should be fun.

Detective Comics #947
Shiiiiiiiiiit that was a good ending.
Spoiler fucking runs this town now with a return to her classic look. Plus whatever the fuck is happening to Tim

Shit's real, son. Real for real.

PsychBat!

Banned
The Unworthy Thor #3
Daaaaaamn I was not expecting this to be as high on the cosmic tier as it is. I'm very curious though:
Thanos escaped from the Ultimates, but he had nothing beforehand. No allies, nothing. So when did he hook up with Proxima and Black Swan? And I'm very curious as to who is in the hood. Enchantress? Bill noted that the magic is familiar, the figure acknowledges familiarity with Thor, and the figure's speech text indicates Asgardian (or possibly one of the Greek pantheon?). The speech bubble is black, though, and I'm not familiar with any Asgardians using that type of speech, but it could be an effect of the hood.

It's very intriguing and the action in this book is super great.
I think that is
....Hela

Top Bottom