• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Messi

Isn't it kind of crazy to think some rebirth books are already at issue 15 and just last week the first volumes of some books were released. I wish DC and Marvel would stop treating trade readers like second class citizens.

Isn't it kind of crazy to think some rebirth books are already at issue 15 and just last week the first volumes of some books were released. I wish DC and Marvel would stop treating trade readers like second class citizens.

A) Don't you buy singles day one anyway?

B) Just because DC likes to double and triple-ship some books, I wouldn't expect their trade cycle to speed up any.

C) Sales of single issues are the figures they focus on, so to Marvel and DC, trade-waiters are second-class citizens. Trade sales have much less influence on what books get cancelled.

Messi

B) Just because DC likes to double and triple-ship some books, I wouldn't expect their trade cycle to speed up any.

C) Sales of single issues are the figures they focus on, so to Marvel and DC, trade-waiters are second-class citizens. Trade sales have much less influence on what books get cancelled.

I've stopped buying rebirth weekly. Was getting burnt out with how often books release.

I understand all of this. I believe the system is broken.

Sandfox

Brevoort said this was a myth back when the Cain twitter stuff was going on.

Messi

Yeah. They already have order numbers from retailers well in advance of an actual trade coming out. So they do take trade numbers into account.

Image proved you don't have to treat trade waiters like shit with bad release dates. plenty of those people who they got trades to catch up moved onto floppies for a new arc. One hand greases the other.

Old models are dying marvel and DC need to get with the times.

Roman

Definitely going to scout out the new trades of the early-2000s Batgirl run at some point.

Unfortunately nothing interesting or of stark consequence happens in that run in my opinion.

I found Bruce Wayne: Fugitive to be utterly awful and many characters' voices felt wrong.

Old models are dying marvel and DC need to get with the times.

But Marvel is getting with the times! But they are going their own path. Which is telling you to like Carol Danvers.

kmfdmpig

Finally finished No Man's Land after years of putting it off only to constantly restart it and never get past Vol 1.

That was some fucking event. It starts and ends on such highs, and there are some really great issues throughout in between. My only complaint would be that it felt like it succumbed to the somewhat dated method of comic books in the 90s where tie ins and event-centric issues were just purely throwaway side stories that really didn't advance anything. Same problem I had while reading Knightfall, though No Man's Land handled it much better and definitely felt more modern as a result.

But, that's kind of also the event's biggest strength. It's about Gotham in ruins and everyone is scattered around trying to do stuff according to their own agenda, so in a way the scattershot-issue storytelling sorta makes sense here.

I finished Vol 4, the final one, in just a single day. The volume itself is basically just the entire final act and everything comes to a head, and it's glorious. The drama between Gordon, his family, the Batfam, Azrael and Cass (who share possibly the most joyful moment in the entire arc), Huntress and Pettit, Dr. Thompkins, that Two-Face court issue, THAT FUCKING LAST JOKER STORY, and that final New Year's Eve issue: Brilliant stuff (even if that final issue seemed to end everything kind of abruptly. I thought it still worked).

The arc also really made me love Cass, a character I never really warmed up to despite reading all of the recent stuff Tynion did with her in B&R Eternal and Tec. Definitely going to scout out the new trades of the early-2000s Batgirl run at some point.

On to Bruce Wayne: Murderer next!

It was such a quality event. For the most part the writing was good throughout, with the one glaring exception of a Larry Hama book which was awful and stood out like a sore thumb.

TheFlow

Banned
Flow is a sellout and hypocrite list :p. Bolded is what I am hyping for best marvel issue.

Cap: Steve Rogers #9

Jessica Jones #4

Mighty Thor #15

Power Man and Iron Fist #12

Spider-Man #12

Rocket Racoon #2

saving my DC stuff till the end of the Month but I might cave on Shade since that issue looks so good.

Zombine

Banned
Catching up on Rebirth isn't terrible. It's about $30 to get yourself up to speed with a particular book if you've read the first few issues.

VanWinkle

I've stopped buying rebirth weekly. Was getting burnt out with how often books release.

Are you going the trade route? I hope you'll be buying the OHCs, since I know you, like me, are a big OHC fan.

VanWinkle

The fact they're dropping Deluxe HC's for every 12 issues is great for collectors.

Dude I'm SOO happy. Only bad thing is that I really want to read Superman now, and the first trade is out, but the OHC doesn't release until August. So I have to wait six months until I get it. :(

I believe the Amazon listings are wrong with their contents, btw. It says they include they combine two paperback volumes, so it won't necessarily be 12 issues. Like, Hal Jordan and the GLC will go be Rebirth #1 and #1-13 (whereas the OHC Amazon listing says Rebirth #1 and #1-12). Batman will be Rebirth #1, #1-6, and #9-15 (Amazon listing says Rebirth #1 and #1-12). And so on. Most of them are a bit off and the best way to see what it will include is by looking at what the two paperback volumes include.

Amazing, IMO. Beautiful art and a very compelling story.
Nice. Hopefully it'll be in the sale they'll probably do to promote the book.

BC: Marvel Sell Over A Thousand Variant Covers To Retailers At Knock Down Prices

Recently we ran a piece on how comic book retailers were amending the tier and ratio rates for their promotional covers line to make it easier for retailers to order them. A bit.

But it also coincides with Marvel offering over a thousand different older variant cover issues to retailers for knock down rates,

These are all books that over the last couple years — or even just a few months ago — retailers were given the privilege of buying at their standard discount only after agreeing to order dozens or hundreds of copies of the regular cover edition over what they could reasonably expect to sell.

Because the variants are so rare and collectible.

Just a word of warning…

Messi

Bitch Planet, another book that had the peoples eyes on it and then massive delays completely derailed it. One issue every few months doesn't cut it.

There are a few DC books I rather enjoyed but stopped buying due to the accelerated shipping schedule. It just gets too expensive to keep up. They make double-shipping sound like a good thing, but it's really not. They tried that with ASM years back, which eventually lead to them triple-shipping it. That didn't last very long.

Brevoort is a myth.

Messi

What a joke. And how does he afford living? Is that all from the Tradepaperbook money?

KSD writes for TV and they run a production company that is making a Sex Criminals TV show and Wicked and the divine. They were optioned by Universal TV while back.

So they are doing fine. I guess that's why comics aren't important anymore.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/matt-fr...sal-tv-sex-criminals-comic-series-1201380723/

Kelly Sue's Captain Marvel royalties, probably. One of them still works, at least.

giphy.gif

KSD writes for TV and they run a production company that is making a Sex Criminals TV show and Wicked and the divine. They were optioned by Universal TV while back.

So they are doing fine. I guess that's why comics aren't important anymore.

It took six seasons for Game of Thrones to overtake the books. Sex Criminals should be about six episodes.

Bizarre ordering. Justice League Vol. 1 being so high up is baffling. I don't even think it should be anywhere on that Top 20.
Same. I haven't read all those stories, but Origin wasn't great. It had some dope moments, though.

Sinestro Corps War was #1 though, and that's what really matters

I'm surprised Throne of Atlantis wasn't on there

It took six seasons for Game of Thrones to overtake the books. Sex Criminals should be about six episodes.

Which is fucking insane, since you'd think Martin would be able to keep ahead of the TV show at a rate of one season per year. By the time Martin finishes writing this series, no one will care anymore because HBO will have already finished it.

I'm just kidding. No way Martin lives long enough to finish the series at the rate he writes.

Top Bottom