• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

In better news, Cyberforce X Deadly Class variant by Eric Canete:
IyMEMZV.jpg
https://twitter.com/EricCanete/status/817157472506888193

Comics were a mistake.

Messi

I think my love of comics is at an all time low. I feel the Marvel stuff over the past day or so has left me feeling meh about the whole thing. It reeks of ignorance from Marvel comics. Especially in a time where they just launched a few titles I really enjoyed.

Marvel abolishing their digital copy codes seems more and more stupid when you think on it, a perfect crystallization of what's wrong with current Marvel. Those codes enabled consumers to read in their preferred format, but we're also a great way to get people to try new series. Important, considering how the much of the line has become so idiosyncratic with books like Hellcat, Moon girl, Wasp, Hulk, Silver Surfer and so many others.

This just goes to show the dissonance in the entire Marvel line. If Marvel editorial was like "We're going all in on big and traditional event comics, so let's make sure the rest of the line reflects that with more traditional superhero books," at least the line would have some sort of cohesion. Adding codes to Civil War 2 kind of makes sense because it's like a mission statement for the Marvel universe.

Instead, half the line is made up of these individual weird books that I love but eschew traditional superhero tropes and aesthetics. That half isn't designed for traditional events and so end up coming off poorly when they become tie-ins or just ignore it all together. Packing codes for Civil War 2 in a book like Moon Girl doesn't work because those books don't fit.

A large part of why Rebirth is working because editorial's direction aligns with the line. It does mean weirder books like Bizzaro and Prez just don't have space in the line (thank god for Young Animal), but it brings consistency to the universe.

Owzers

Pretty Deadly Vol 1: It's snowing outside so i'm reading comics to protest. This book reminds me of The Dark Tower comic but without the wacky dialect. Also, i like this book because it allows me to say " Pretty Deadly is Pretty Good." So that's something. I was a bit lost towards the end about how
death's world was working
but it was an interesting read and felt rather self-contained as a trade, not sure if i'm in for volume two much like Tokyo Ghost. Random 7/10.

Sami Zayn in a whiny feud with Strahman is just crushing my wrestling spirit. Just let him die already, this is like letting Bendis have Gwenpool.

Pretty Deadly Vol 1: It's snowing outside so i'm reading comics to protest. This book reminds me of The Dark Tower comic but without the wacky dialect. Also, i like this book because it allows me to say " Pretty Deadly is Pretty Good." So that's something. I was a bit lost towards the end about how
death's world was working
but it was an interesting read and felt rather self-contained as a trade, not sure if i'm in for volume two much like Tokyo Ghost. Random 7/10.

Sami Zayn in a whiny feud with Strahman is just crushing my wrestling spirit. Just let him die already, this is like letting Bendis have Gwenpool.
Vol. 2 is a better WWI story than B1.

It's really weird how RAW has become the worst WWE show. Smackdown is more entertaining, but NXT is still number one.

mreddie

I think my love of comics is at an all time low. I feel the Marvel stuff over the past day or so has left me feeling meh about the whole thing. It reeks of ignorance from Marvel comics. Especially in a time where they just launched a few titles I really enjoyed.

The kicker? This is supposed to help LCS when it doesn't and they could have cut the price down but wanted to keep the extra dollar so they can force the bullshit.

The all ages loophole from the offer is bullshit when Unbeatable I think is T Rated. The All Ages books are the cartoon based stuff.

The line needs retooling and with precision.

mreddie

Smackdown is the better show but Cena about to be the top guy again.

I have no problem with Cena but who's he gonna face? Miz?

The kicker? This is supposed to help LCS when it doesn't and they could have cut the price down but wanted to keep the extra dollar so they can force the bullshit.

Trying to save the LCS is like trying to save Sears or Kmart. A fool's errand. You can only slow progress and convenience for so long.

mreddie

Trying to save the LCS is like trying to save Sears or Kmart. A fool's errand. You can only slow progress and convenience for so long.

My LCS have adapted to add gaming and merch but yeah, floppies have a stupid ass system behind it and it's gonna consume itself.

MartyStu

Wait, what did Marvel do?

Vyer

I almost quit the comics community for the most part. Not just this community but Twitter and Facebook groups as well. It's weird to me how political it is. I followed all these people in the industry and now I'm mostly put off by everyone crying for representation. I'm all for everyone being represented, I just don't have the passion and drive to be a part of a community who bickers quite a bit. It's an odd political battlefield. With that, I must put my head down, lower my voice, read some comics I like, drop the ones I don't and not worry about the future of the medium. It's been good in a sense that I get to enjoy the hobby at my pace but it's a negative because there is something enjoyable about being apart of a community. I'm more a loan wolf comic reader. I don't talk comics with anyone really anymore.

Because minority groups probably feel now more than ever that they've been made acutely aware there is quite a lot of resistance to them being represented, or at best a lot of apathy. They feel they have to be vocal to have a chance.

I really see nothing wrong with more people being represented. If anything the more off putting thing about it for me is just how much is in place to try to stop it. I naively would have thought that more of the people who have essentially been reading about simple themes like good vs evil, freedom from oppression and fighting for those that need help for decades might have taken something from it.

I think my love of comics is at an all time low.

Same. I don't think it's been this bad since 2007-08. And back then, an event with Secret in the title basically killed me reading comics until 2012 or so. So we'll see how that goes in the summer, I guess.

People may not like every DC title but they love the direction DC is going. People love a selection of Marvel titles but they hate the direction Marvel is going. If your company had a good direction then people will stay on board regardless of the titles they put out.

Get off the new comic treadmill. Take a step back and read or reread what you want. Not what just got released. The new good stuff will rise to the top and be available for cheaper later anyways.

Marvels current philosophy seems like a sure fire way to end in a quicker and quicker reset mode and erode reader confidence over time

+ Announce diverse set of characters and books with some fringe characters (good)
+/- Not have a lot of well known creators tied to them (could go either way)
- Release these books at $3.99, thus creating a huge barrier for people to give a book a chance. One arc? $16-$24 (bad)
- Almost all series get rebooted/cancelled in 8-14 issues (bad)
- repeat but now with a readership less likely to jump on due to it being good and cancelled shortly after (why invest) or its bad and the high cost makes you not want to try new things less (bad)

Even with MU where I don't have to shell out $4 an issue I see these new books and wonder why bother trying to get into it if marvel themselves are so antsy they won't let things just breath. Why waste my time? I'll read other things instead

Get off the new comic treadmill. Take a step back and read or reread what you want. Not what just got released. The new good stuff will rise to the top and be available for cheaper later anyways.

Marvels current philosophy seems like a sure fire way to end in a quicker and quicker reset mode and erode reader confidence over time

+ Announce diverse set of characters and books with some fringe characters (good)
+/- Not have a lot of well known creators tied to them (could go either way)
- Release these books at $3.99, thus creating a huge barrier for people to give a book a chance. One arc? $16-$24 (bad)
- Almost all series get rebooted/cancelled in 8-14 issues (bad)
- repeat but now with a readership less likely to jump on due to it being good and cancelled shortly after (why invest) or its bad and the high cost makes you not want to try new things less (bad)

Even with MU where I don't have to shell out $4 an issue I see these new books and wonder why bother trying to get into it if marvel themselves are so antsy they won't let things just breath. Why waste my time? I'll read other things instead

I don't understand this part of modern Marvel. Why do they do this? It's really cool that they want to try all these different ideas but it's basically an inevitability that all these comics will end by like issue #12.

Sandfox

I don't understand this part of modern Marvel. Why do they do this? It's really cool that they want to try all these different ideas but it's basically an inevitability that all these comics will end by like issue #12.
A combination of Secret Wars relaunching everything not too long ago and books being cancelled/retooled.

ElNarez

Banned
Oh also "make every other comic an event tie-in or a stunt or both", which goes into "only marketing the events and stunts while your line of cool diverse comics struggles in obscurity because the people you want to be reading these books do not know about them", which goes into "generally being shit at marketing and advertising the direct market single issues that, depending on how your LCBS is run, can mean an arcane ritual most people do not have the time for, instead of the trades, which people can look for and get on Amazon as fast as it took me to write that sentence. By which I mean the words "that sentence", in the previous sentence."

Read wonder woman earth one

Didn't think it was as good as I wanted it to be. Theres a lot of great ideas in it and I think the frame of the work is good but there are some places where its poorly executed. I think its occasionally clear Morrison didn't have a good handle on what he was going for until late.

Some parts especially anything to do with the sorority girl seemed like holdovers from previous versions of the story and cringy

Art wise, Paquette and Fairbairn do stellar work. There are some decisions I think could have been better. For example, the concept of the nature of amazon sexuality in the book I think works well but Paquette work it past cheesecake poses without pretense.

Almost every amazon looks like they're posing rather than acting in the story. I think Paquette misses the mark on sexual vs sensual depictions. Everyone is almost always trying to look as pretty as possible and it comes off as very standard male gaze. This book was supposed to rethink what a utopia of only women is supposed to look like and it doesn't make that mark here.

Fairbairn is pretty much perfect however. His color choices are as good as they can be, I think there are sometimes he could render a little less when Paquette lays off the detail but that's it.

Random 7/10 its a devastatingly pretty mess at times. Maybe the sequel will be better/focused

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Oh also "make every other comic an event tie-in or a stunt or both", which goes into "only marketing the events and stunts while your line of cool diverse comics struggles in obscurity because the people you want to be reading these books do not know about them", which goes into "generally being shit at marketing and advertising the direct market single issues that, depending on how your LCBS is run, can mean an arcane ritual most people do not have the time for, instead of the trades, which people can look for and get on Amazon as fast as it took me to write that sentence. By which I mean the words "that sentence", in the previous sentence."

The fringe titles also have to compete with extra issues of all the mainline titles each month.

Image comics and DC are still awesome though. At least they aren't award losers like Valiant.

I still think Valiant has a few solid books.

I thought Wonder Woman earth one was another boring origin book and not much else.

I didn't dislike Wonder Woman Earth One, but I feel like Diana's origin story (and however many variations of it) has been told to death at this point. The art was pretty swell, though.

The Avengers #2.1
I still don't know the purpose of this book. Is it supplementary to the core Avengers book? I mean, both are written by Waid. Regardless, this is still a fun book and funny that everyone was a dick during the Silver-Age. Hawkeye being a creeper is funny enough. I do think it's interesting that
the Stranger mentions a new surge in mutant power, and IvX will see that mutants return to pre-M-Day status. Perhaps this girl will become a new villain for the Avengers to fight? If that's what this book is supposed to be, that would be pretty dope.

The Mighty Thor #14
A lot of great action in this book. A lot. This continues to be an awesome book in the most over-the-top of ways. And have I commented on how I love the use of thought bubbles. On the note of the plot:
Loki definitely seems more displeased with Malekith after this, and the War of Realms was a prophesized event as we saw in the Mjolnir origin issue. So Malekith wants a war for obvious reasons though it's very apparent that he knew about it, so I'm wondering what the endgame of the prophesy is. Also I have a question: when did Malekith get his own personal Bifrost?

This book doesn't stop being good.

The Unstoppable Wasp #1
This was a super fun, adorable, and heartwarming issue. With bright, energetic, amd colorful art. The science aspect of the book is great, and the fact that this book makes it very obvious that it's going to be a feminist book and doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks is exactly what's needed in this day and age. It shouldn't give a fuck. And I love Nadia as a character. Loved her from the moment she showed up and her ANAD Avengers issue sold me hard on her as a character.

BUT I do feel that relentless cheeriness of the book really isn't hitting my sweet spot. I'll pick up some more issues, but I do hope this doesn't become a Moon Girl scenario.

Hawkeye #2
This is still a pretty enjoyable book. Hopefully this book won't spend a ton of time on this case and hopefully do it Alias style where it's just doing case after case while developing characters along the way. The theme of this
TCB crew seems to be about exes, so I'm wondering why they'd kidnap Mikka? Larry claims he wasn't going to those lengths, but there's very much some kind of mind-control going on and the odds are high he doesn't remember some of it. Now Quinn, I wouldn't be surprised if he's involved, but I hope it's not that obvious. Now, Ramone is interesting: she claims the situation with her and Mikka is "complicated." So that's the most interesting angle. Was Ramone the other person and managed to break away from TCB? And they're using Mikka to drage her back in?
There truly are questions abound.

I like this book.

Caught up to issue 40 of Saga. Still my favorite ongoing. The characters, art, quirky interactions, crazy moments, and really the progression it shows of characters over time all come together into a great series that is always enjoyable to read. This will be one series that will be very interesting to reread when it's all done.

Sandfox

DC's next event should be a Crisis solely about Wonder Woman's origins.

The Avengers #2.1
I still don't know the purpose of this book. Is it supplementary to the core Avengers book? I mean, both are written by Waid. Regardless, this is still a fun book and funny that everyone was a dick during the Silver-Age. Hawkeye being a creeper is funny enough. I do think it's interesting that
the Stranger mentions a new surge in mutant power, and IvX will see that mutants return to pre-M-Day status. Perhaps this girl will become a new villain for the Avengers to fight? If that's what this book is supposed to be, that would be pretty dope.

The Mighty Thor #14
A lot of great action in this book. A lot. This continues to be an awesome book in the most over-the-top of ways. And have I commented on how I love the use of thought bubbles. On the note of the plot:
Loki definitely seems more displeased with Malekith after this, and the War of Realms was a prophesized event as we saw in the Mjolnir origin issue. So Malekith wants a war for obvious reasons though it's very apparent that he knew about it, so I'm wondering what the endgame of the prophesy is. Also I have a question: when did Malekith get his own personal Bifrost?

This book doesn't stop being good.

The Unstoppable Wasp #1
This was a super fun, adorable, and heartwarming issue. With bright, energetic, amd colorful art. The science aspect of the book is great, and the fact that this book makes it very obvious that it's going to be a feminist book and doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks is exactly what's needed in this day and age. It shouldn't give a fuck. And I love Nadia as a character. Loved her from the moment she showed up and her ANAD Avengers issue sold me hard on her as a character.

BUT I do feel that relentless cheeriness of the book really isn't hitting my sweet spot. I'll pick up some more issues, but I do hope this doesn't become a Moon Girl scenario.

Hawkeye #2
This is still a pretty enjoyable book. Hopefully this book won't spend a ton of time on this case and hopefully do it Alias style where it's just doing case after case while developing characters along the way. The theme of this
TCB crew seems to be about exes, so I'm wondering why they'd kidnap Mikka? Larry claims he wasn't going to those lengths, but there's very much some kind of mind-control going on and the odds are high he doesn't remember some of it. Now Quinn, I wouldn't be surprised if he's involved, but I hope it's not that obvious. Now, Ramone is interesting: she claims the situation with her and Mikka is "complicated." So that's the most interesting angle. Was Ramone the other person and managed to break away from TCB? And they're using Mikka to drage her back in?
There truly are questions abound.

I like this book.
The point of the Avengers book seems to be fro setting up
Avenger X who could be either a hero or villain depending on how the story goes.

mreddie

Marvel is the New England Patriots, FUCK YOU WE HAVE MONEY

DC is the Dallas Cowboys, HEY WE WON SUPER BOWLS YEARS AGO AND NOW AFTER 20 YEARS WE BACK ON TOP

Vailant is Kansas City, We Matter Kinda?

Image is Seattle, cocky ass franchise after one big win.

Messi

Marvel is the New England Patriots, FUCK YOU WE HAVE MONEY

DC is the Dallas Cowboys, HEY WE WON SUPER BOWLS YEARS AGO AND NOW AFTER 20 YEARS WE BACK ON TOP

Vailant is Kansas City, We Matter Kinda?

Image is Seattle, cocky ass franchise after one big win.

Valiant is the Browns.

Champions #3
Dope issue. Really great team chemistry, and I like that there's the no real overarching plot. We got some good character moments and interactions, and I love how every character is useful and brings something to the table. Ramos' art is real energetic and kinetic, but I felt some of the action got a little confusing at points. And oh shit
Gwenpool coming in hot!
Still my favorite Marvel team book.

Captain America: Sam Wilson #17
Fantastic issue. As much as I liked the little break from the plot, it was nice to come back to it. The development with Joaquin was good after he'd been pretty much sidelined since the Serpent Society arc, plotwise. I also liked the increased focus on Rage and Sam's relationship with him. Renaud's art is solid as well. Good issue all around.

Top Bottom