• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Messi

Absolutely love these. Zodiac Master is a hell of a deep pull and goober Robin is adorable.

I also got a duplicate Nurse Harley
or nurse Kelly Sue DeConnick, as I like to call her
if anyone wants it. Let me know.

Oops posted this in December first.

I've been trying to get her. But it's quite difficult.

Tizoc

Right then, caught up to some comics

Cage 2 & 3
Genny really is showing off the art here. If anyone's not picking it up right now, I'd recommend getting the collected edition when it goes up. The overall story is short but the art is pretty dynamic.

Great Lakes #3
Issue was mostly character centric as the team discuss the past and their current lives.
Also the word 'Fursona' is used.

'She-'Hulk #1
Not bad so far, but let's see where this goes.

Klaus & the Witch of Winter #1
Don Roma's art is spectacular as always, and the issue had the usual Morrison fast paced-ness and...odd stuff that totally happened.

Sonic #290
YkP01WC.jpg

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Tizoc

I just beat Batman Telltale, and it is a game which I strongly recommend checking out as it is a different take on the Batman mythos.

So weird. There are aspects of that art that look great... but Emma looks messed up.

Indeed the art has some good stuff going for it but yeah Emma was just...what.

shingi70

Banned
Cyborg #6: about a month ago I gushed over a past issue of cyborg. This issue was just okay, I do like the more serious side of Victor Stone but push into too much and it gets a bit depressing. The Teen Titans animated series got it the best when he's mostly a comedic guy so the pay off works when shit gets real internally. So Cyborg still seems to have he ability to turn into a regular dude but it's less bio organic than in the last series. The fact that he barley uses this power could be seen in two different ways, either Victor is cool being disabled or he doesn't use tad human and purposely further detached himself from others.

Cyborg #7: A but better. I do like in the context of a superhero universe that you have someone who gets involved in a calculated injury on the off Chance they get super powers. I'm ready for the fake Silas Stone plot to be done because it was the least interesting thing about this issue and it's over taking the plot. A PMC built on taking over the world while creating its own super powered soldiers as sleeper agents is a great idea. The ending is pretty messed up and answers the question of Cyborg is man or machine.

shingi70

Banned
Detective Comics 945: A pretty Dense book, a lot of plot and character development done in 22 pages. Best Batman and team book out right now. Love the change of artist between the Tompkins interviews and the main book.

Detective Comics 946: Shiiiiiittt, this book is awesome. I Wish I was better at desribing art because Barrows, Lucas, and the two Ferrerias kill it. Those splash pages of the victim syndicate being taken out is great, and the way panels can change art style from painterly to more house style while keeping a noirish tint is amazing. The Clayface and Oprhan sequences were pretty cruel in the ways to take down their opponents.

Detective Comics: 947: Hot Dawn that was great, book really bounced back from Monster Men.

TheFlow

Banned
All caught up on monstress.

It is crazy how much depth and violence this book has. I feel like each issue is a double issue. I also love the backups at the end and fan stuff

Owzers

Finished darkseid war vol 2, really didn't like the book despite pockets of enjoyment. Just the whole thing,
the way the new gods were implemented, wonder woman's repetitive narration, grail, myrina, the antimonitor, the crime syndicate, Steve.

Nah, it's going on as planned. Just Ben tired of getting asked the same question.

Yea, despite the flashy headline Polygon have up today, I think he's really been saying that same thing for months. It won't go ahead until it's ready, and it'll only be ready when he says so.

Dusknoir

Teen titans #3 was pretty good. Better then the second one. Only shit part was the art in the beginning depicting Robin. His face looked like shit.

Also it took me a hour to beat Dark Souls 3 first boss. I don't know it I wasted my money yet but it was fun.

TheFlow

Banned
Teen titans #3 was pretty good. Better then the second one. Only shit part was the art in the beginning depicting Robin. His face looked like shit.

Also it took me a hour to beat Dark Souls 3 first boss. I don't know it I wasted my money yet but it was fun.
Took you an hour? Oh honey. That is my favorite tutorial boss

Messi

I was browsing Amazon and found some stuff. Did we know that little gotham was getting a hardcover or that Trinity Rebirth is also getting a hardcover.

I was browsing Amazon and found some stuff. Did we know that little gotham was getting a hardcover or that Trinity Rebirth is also getting a hardcover.
No, but we did know that retailers really liked last year's "Let's reprint Cass!Batgirl and a couple of other random books" direction. More books on the shelves always help and Li'l Gotham is a favorite.

Messi

No, but we did know that retailers really liked last year's "Let's reprint Cass!Batgirl and a couple of other random books" direction. More books on the shelves always help and Li'l Gotham is a favorite.

Lee Garbetts Batgirl is coming out later this year. That's the Stephanie run. Also volume 2 of Rucka Wonder Woman and Ruckas Batwoman.

Though it might be you. PM your address. It's all yours.

Attractive Oswald Cobblepot is the most surprising to me.

Will do. Thank you :p

VanWinkle

Lil Gotham Deluxe Edition was on Amazon US for a long time and then it disappeared many months ago. Is it back on there, or is this on another Amazon?

Yea dark souls 3 has so many awesome bosses. You will get rekted but don't give up

Just decided to play through it again since I didn't play the DLC yet, and I skipped a lot of optional bosses because I didn't look up how to get them.

Faith build felt like such a waste until I got sunlight spear, sogood now. Shame you can't get it until the very end of the game though.

Archdragon peak boss battle was visually amazing though.

Comic wise I'm reading claremont's x-men run right now, not really feeling it that much. People swore up and down that it was like the best comic book run ever but not feeling it. I feel like a lot of these older runs you had to be there to really appreciate it, as I find myself preferring a lot of the newer runs. The exception being Swamp Thing & Sandman ofc.

TheFlow

Banned
Just decided to play through it again since I didn't play the DLC yet, and I skipped a lot of optional bosses because I didn't look up how to get them.

Faith build felt like such a waste until I got sunlight spear, sogood now. Shame you can't get it until the very end of the game though.

Archdragon peak boss battle was visually amazing though.

Comic wise I'm reading claremont's x-men run right now, not really feeling it that much. People swore up and down that it was like the best comic book run ever but not feeling it.
Oh man the best boss imo is the optional boss in D3. The one with the
dragon and lightning

Claremonts x men actually improves and improves.

Lil Gotham Deluxe Edition was on Amazon US for a long time and then it disappeared many months ago. Is it back on there, or is this on another Amazon?

I would buy this so quick. The nature of buying it for the kid and to read myself means it's about one of the only series I have in floppy. Would love it on the shelf.

Comics are so confusing. Read a Totally Awesome Hulk that was all cool smashing and genuine feels and the next issue was some Jeremy Lin basketball dumpster fire. Glad I dropped that book. *shakes fist*

Should I try Unstoppable Wasp, you guys? Who is hyped for this?

Messi

Comics are so confusing. Read a Totally Awesome Hulk that was all cool smashing and genuine feels and the next issue was some Jeremy Lin basketball dumpster fire. Glad I dropped that book. *shakes fist*

We all are. We are big Elsa Charretier Stan's here.

mreddie

I would have skipped those 2 issues anyways, next arc has Silk, Jimmy Woo, Shang Chi and Ms. Marvel.

<---- Maybe...

I would have skipped those 2 issues anyways, next arc has Silk, Jimmy Woo, Shang Chi and Ms. Marvel.

<---- Maybe...
You know, it feels like every Marvel teen hero issue the last few months have been character crossovers when they weren't busy with CWII. Probably due to wanting more people to pick up the Wasp and Riri books since seeing them in Moon Girl etc might make people want them(haven't worked thus far as far as we've seen). Ghost Rider is such a thinly veiled "Do you want to pick up a All-New Fantastic Four later?!" book in this first arc.

What are some good Star wars conmics?. Want to get some from this comixology sale.

Heard good things about Darth vader
Vader's the only one I've read, and I'm only a little ways in, but it's pretty good. Larrocca's art is good, but insanely stiff. Which is both oddly great and awful.
Jorge Jimenez is a fucking GOD. I mean look at this!

That issue was so good.

That whole book is so good

Holy crap! Is that the Superman annual?
Sure is~

Ryan Higgins of The Comic Conspiracy and The Geekbox podcasts went over his sales in 2016:
Marvel and DC represent nearly 90% of our single issue sales, which is about 60% of our overall sales. We NEED them both to sell well.
Here's our breakdown per category:
New single issues - 57.33%
New GNs - 14.8%
Used GNs - 2.72%
Toys/Statues - 7.82%
Back Issues - 8.33%
And my favorite:
Supplies - 3.73%

Stores that still give away free bags and boards? Say goodbye to 4% of your sales.
Heh.

Owzers

i stopped reading comics for a bit because i figured they wouldn't still be a thing in 2017 but here we are, talking about these paper mistakes.

Ashby

Hey, guys I just made a thread but realized that this would likely be a better place for this question:

I've fallen behind on comics and all the stores around me will routinely order so little that they'll run out of stock on titles I want to buy the day after new release, let alone a week or two later. I've used Midtowncomics.com to catch up before but the last time I did they took so freakin' long to get me my order that it put me behind again! I know of DCBS but their website looks like it's more for just setting up a pull list? I don't get how to just look for a back issue and add it to my cart easily like on Midtowncomics. Any alternate suggestions? Thanks!

PsychBat!

Banned
You know, it feels like every Marvel teen hero issue the last few months have been character crossovers when they weren't busy with CWII. Probably due to wanting more people to pick up the Wasp and Riri books since seeing them in Moon Girl etc might make people want them(haven't worked thus far as far as we've seen). Ghost Rider is such a thinly veiled "Do you want to pick up a All-New Fantastic Four later?!" book in this first arc.
It's frustrating.

Vibranium

Banned
Time to start posting here in the new year again. Due to budget reasons I had to stop buying new comics due to the awful Canadian dollar hurting me on top of the already high monthly prices. Happy new years guys.

So I started Marvel Unlimited and I'm going to be doing that for a while. Invincible and Monstress are the only exceptions for me buying new issues. I really wish there was a paying option on Unlimited to get all of the latest Marvel books instead of the 6 month delay. Like I'd pay a larger amount of money for a year to get every Marvel book on release rather than having to wait.

Top Bottom