• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

mreddie

You know, it feels like every Marvel teen hero issue the last few months have been character crossovers when they weren't busy with CWII. Probably due to wanting more people to pick up the Wasp and Riri books since seeing them in Moon Girl etc might make people want them(haven't worked thus far as far as we've seen). Ghost Rider is such a thinly veiled "Do you want to pick up a All-New Fantastic Four later?!" book in this first arc.

Moon Girl already had Kamala and Riri is coming
Riri is about to have her enter the MU whole
Nadia is gonna have MG in Issue 2
Ms Marvel herself had Nova and Miles by issue 6

It goes on...

I think they want some books to get a rub from the guest stars and its readers.

Vibranium

Banned
I can't wait to read Civil War II on MU to see how bad it was.

Oh man, I just read that apparently the last Black Widow issue is going to finally resolve the brainwash thing with Bucky. Maybe we can get a Winter Soldier+Black Widow team-up book after this. Bucky is suffering in Thunderbolts, he'd work way better with one or two spy characters.

Ross61

I can definitely see Dan Abnett doing the JSA Rebirth after he's done with Earth 2: Society. If he can bring Bruno Redondo with him that's be lit.

Malyse

I would totally dig a comic reader app that let me read every appearance of a character in chronological order, crossovers, cameos, and everything in between. Maybe even a thing that pulls future issues with that character. Once you got the structure in place it would be pretty simple to maintain, what with how the wikia's for Marvel and DC list every character that appears in an issue.

It goes on...

I like the concept of teen heroes being friends. And I like the concept of them building that Champions roster.

You want me to pay them a visit? I just found out they're not far away from where I live. Tell them BK says hello!
giphy.gif

Actually that's a bit harsh, but I like the gif

It goes on...

The safest thing to do is not buy any of them.

:D

I would have skipped those 2 issues anyways, next arc has Silk, Jimmy Woo, Shang Chi and Ms. Marvel.

Makes sense, but I don't want to have to read every solicit. I want to be able to support books and trust their consistency enough to have them on my pull. But doing that leads to Hulk and Spidey/Deadpool dropping hot flaming turds on me. Oh well, whatever. I will happily drop all books that are not awesome. Because like this person...

Time to start posting here in the new year again. Due to budget reasons I had to stop buying new comics due to the awful Canadian dollar hurting me on top of the already high monthly prices. Happy new years guys.

I am Canadian. Which is not ideal when you pull comics monthly. My shop ads 30 percent to the cover price.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
And that's Titans & Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps dropped. Neither story interested me, and Titans is going nowhere.

Malyse

Spidey/DP is a werid thing to me, half of the issues hit and then the filler is meh and then you got the P/T issue.

The Christmas issue wasn't very good either. Deadpool was saying some un-Deadpool things. On the side, I'm tired of the MRA/GG type crowd thinking that Deadpool is one of them when he's absolutely not. He'd absolutely have a tumblr and be a "SJW". But yeah, the P/T issue was one of the worst issues of anything I've ever read.

Also, do you think they fixed Deadpool's face as a favor to Fox?

Nudull

Banned
Makes sense, but I don't want to have to read every solicit. I want to be able to support books and trust their consistency enough to have them on my pull. But doing that leads to Hulk and Spidey/Deadpool dropping hot flaming turds on me. Oh well, whatever. I will happily drop all books that are not awesome. Because like this person...

I am Canadian. Which is not ideal when you pull comics monthly. My shop ads 30 percent to the cover price.

Woah, when did you come back? I take one peek back in here, and I'm seeing ghosts. o.o

shingi70

Banned
Reading that thread Slay made, make realize I'm your typical caroal corps me ever who likes the idea and look of Captain Marvel more than the character. I really feel Marvel dropped the ball after Kelly Sue left, but even that book didn't add much to carol expect Women kick ass.

Owzers

having read Darkseid War vol 1 and 2 on my ipad air 2, i'm still kinda iffy on digital. I like the color pop but they just don't seem like comics, they are small and almost too colorful, they look more like ipad wallpaper than a comic book. Double page spreads.....they are so tiny and then rotating my ipad makes it look like a screenshot, not a large sprawling scene.

Paper comics.

Or an ipad pro :/ So much money...and although it would be great for comics, it's kinda too big for a loungy browsy device. I don't need that large a screen for hearthstone.

VanWinkle

having read Darkseid War vol 1 and 2 on my ipad air 2, i'm still kinda iffy on digital. I like the color pop but they just don't seem like comics, they are small and almost too colorful, they look more like ipad wallpaper than a comic book. Double page spreads.....they are so tiny and then rotating my ipad makes it look like a screenshot, not a large sprawling scene.

Paper comics.

Or an ipad pro :/ So much money...and although it would be great for comics, it's kinda too big for a loungy browsy device. I don't need that large a screen for hearthstone.

Double page spreads are just so purpose-defeating on digital. They're supposed to be this big bombastic moment, TWICE as big as a full, normal page. But instead, we get something that's half the size of a regular page. Like, it completely ruins it.

Double page spreads are just so purpose-defeating on digital. They're supposed to be this big bombastic moment, TWICE as big as a full, normal page. But instead, we get something that's half the size of a regular page. Like, it completely ruins it.
They work well on an iPad Pro. But yes for an iPad Air or something similar you need guided view and it takes a bit of a hit.

Vibranium

Banned

Yes, it's awful. I am mainly digital these days, and Comixology only charges in USD so I have to do the price conversion before making decisions on what to pull. Local shops have upped the prices too, but it's not as bad as online.

I wish Amazon would add CAD support, maybe make it...a little lower than what it's at? I'm dreaming.

Double page spreads die digitally. Momentum is dead. One page splashes however, look dope.

Two page mode on a large monitor looks great though when a double page spread hits!

They work well on an iPad Pro. But yes for an iPad Air or something similar you need guided view and it takes a bit of a hit.

Is two page mode on the iPad pro readable in landscape?

Sandfox

Comics are so confusing. Read a Totally Awesome Hulk that was all cool smashing and genuine feels and the next issue was some Jeremy Lin basketball dumpster fire. Glad I dropped that book. *shakes fist*

Should I try Unstoppable Wasp, you guys? Who is hyped for this?
As a basketball fan the Lin story is a fun little thing to me.
Reading that thread Slay made, make realize I'm your typical caroal corps me ever who likes the idea and look of Captain Marvel more than the character. I really feel Marvel dropped the ball after Kelly Sue left, but even that book didn't add much to carol expect Women kick ass.
If anything I would argue KSD changed the character into something she isn't and now we're seeing the real Carol come back.

Geist-

Just read through the currently released issues of Monstress, it's really damn good, and the art is great. I don't find that kind of world building in a comic very often.

Hnng. Multiversity has an interview up with Scott Allie about the mignolaverse in 2017, would avoid if not caught up since it has a few spoilers in there. Mostly concerns the already announced minis they have lined up, but in regards to the next series of BPRD :

”B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth" has ended, but ”B.P.R.D." the series isn't done yet. There's still one last story cycle to go. Are there plans for the next cycle to begin in 2017?

Scott: Yup! Work is underway, with the first issue drawn, and a small stack of covers completed. Standby...

He also says Abe was originally supposed to be 50 issues but had to cut it back to match up with the end of Hell On Earth, and we should be surprised where we next see him in the modern day.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished bprd 1948

That final panel with baby hellboy and the saw 😭 Poor little guy

Edit: I've been following that multiversity reading order. So, after hellboy in hell, what do I read? What was released after that?

Messi

I say this as a fellow COMICGAFFER but 99/100 times unless you're FREEZASAURUS GIFFING for MESSI, more than 7 GIFS on a page is just CRUEL

Just finished bprd 1948

That final panel with baby hellboy and the saw 😭 Poor little guy

Edit: I've been following that multiversity reading order. So, after hellboy in hell, what do I read? What was released after that?

Well if you've read all of Hellboy and made it up to 1948, you could do Vampire if you like, that follows straight up (more of a sequel to 1947) or just go onto Hell On Earth. Don't read Abe until it's time, but you'll know. It's very obvious when he gets his own book.

There's Witchfinder etc too, they offer some good lore related to some of what you've read/will read but also stand well enough on their own just to read them when you like. If you're following that reading order, you can't really go wrong.

shingi70

Banned
Catching up with flash, ignoring he's the flash, why Is Iris on Barry about Wally. Last time I checked dude wasn't apart of big brother, or have ,ore than a working relationship with iris.

Top Bottom