• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

PsychBat!

Banned
ysZDnvR.jpg
Freeza be proud

edit: son of a bitch i hate mobile imgur linking. I went to ikea, bought a glass shelf/case whatever you call them

Messi

I read Rebirth Deathstroke and 1-3. Not for me. Won't he continuing. Same for Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Otto Schmidt draws a sexy Black Canary, only wish she was a bit thicker.

dc99f7cc5b6a84638e8faae86c9488c3.jpg

I know this sounds weird, but it irks me when artist's draw head's like that, with the extremely prominent jawline that point towards a flat superhero chin. It's like I can see their sketch first and it completely takes me out of the art.

VanWinkle

WOW, Starman #5 (the [mostly] black and white issue) was incredible. Robinson absolutely NAILS dialogue and pacing, while Harris kills it in the art with great composition and perfect expression work. What a delightful series this is.

Contest of Champions is pretty decent popcorn 80's comics.
Loved how ewing used all the silliness as an excuse to bring night trasher and stick back.

Been binging on Tom King books recently. Read Vision vol. 1, Sheriff of Babylon vol. 1, and I'm 2 issues into the collected Omega Men, and they're all so damn good. Honestly don't know which is the best so far. I also got all the volumes of Grayson still in my backlog, but I imagine those aren't quite as good.

Is his Batman really not very good like I've heard? Like based on what I've read he would be THE dude I'd want writing that book.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Been binging on Tom King books recently. Read Vision vol. 1, Sheriff of Babylon vol. 1, and I'm 2 issues into the collected Omega Men, and they're all so damn good. Honestly don't know which is the best so far. I also got all the volumes of Grayson still in my backlog, but I imagine those aren't quite as good.

Is his Batman really not very good like I've heard? Like based on what I've read he would be THE dude I'd want writing that book.

Well all sort of thought that.

There are people that think that his Batman is up to snuff with the rest of his books, but not everyone unfortunately.

VanWinkle

Art on Starman is INCREDIBLE. I assume it's been re-colored (massive kudos to the colorist if not, though), but this coloring is just breathtaking. Almost reminds me of the Batman Zero Year coloring in some places.

qpapux5.jpg

Op8rkce.jpg

dude his batman run sadly kind of sucks. big disappointment since it's Tom King taking on the batgod. it's boring, dialogue is corny as hell more often than not too. there have been like 1 or 2 really good issues but that's about it.

but yeah his other work is la flame.

ElNarez

Banned
Tom King's Batman is fucking great, but it's the hyper-cerebral kind of great, where you need to be into reading into multiple levels of shit.

eh conceptually that first arc was great but the execution was not very good I thought.

he's bringing good ideas to his run but that's about it.

Sandfox

dude his batman run sadly kind of sucks. big disappointment since it's Tom King taking on the batgod. it's boring, dialogue is corny as hell more often than not too. there have been like 1 or 2 really good issues but that's about it.

I gave it a try when it first dropped and didn't like it. I'm picky with how I like Batman to be portrayed though.

eh conceptually that first arc was great but the execution was not very good I thought.

he's bringing good ideas to his run but that's about it.
So you're saying he's like Bendis on a team book.

i'm not that familiar with comics to get that kind of comparison but...sure lol.

still buying it every 2 weeks though haha. it's batman and I have hope that at some point King will turn it around. I am Suicide was an improvement.

TheFlow

Banned
Paper Girls #7-10

Maybe one or two small questions were answered in this arc but it was still kinda entertaining.

VanWinkle

Practicing sketching. I honestly think I'm improving. I mean, yes, I was looking at the computer monitor and drawing what I saw (while doing a little bit of improvising), but how else am I going to learn. :p

VsPXiMM.jpg

frye

my comic store is shutting down at the end of the month apparently, so there goes my last incentive to pick up what physical comics i still pick up (which isn't/wasn't many but yeah)

Mindwipe

Grayson is pretty fucking good, but it does lean fairly heavily on Morrison's Batman run thematically I think. I wonder if it might fall a bit flat if you'd not read the latter.

kmfdmpig

Practicing sketching. I honestly think I'm improving. I mean, yes, I was looking at the computer monitor and drawing what I saw (while doing a little bit of improvising), but how else am I going to learn. :p

VsPXiMM.jpg

Was the image you were using as inspiration a Kevin Maguire panel? The facial expressions are expressive and good, which reminds me of Maguire quite a bit.

In any event, well done.

Art on Starman is INCREDIBLE. I assume it's been re-colored (massive kudos to the colorist if not, though), but this coloring is just breathtaking. Almost reminds me of the Batman Zero Year coloring in some places.

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/qpapux5.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i.imgur.com/Op8rkce.jpg[/IMG]

I don't believe it was recolored. I remember looking at a few single issues in stores before I tracked down the omnibuses, looked the same!

Hv23DCTk_400x400.jpeg

Grayson is pretty fucking good, but it does lean fairly heavily on Morrison's Batman run thematically I think. I wonder if it might fall a bit flat if you'd not read the latter.

Oh nice, Morrison's Batman run is a favorite of mine.

Seven to Eternity 2-4

I was really iffy on the first issue as I felt like we didn't really get much from it for a first issue. 2-4 really followed those up with jam packed issues. I really liked almost everything about this book. The world building(that library part!!!) and the character building is really all great.

Sucks we're waiting 'til March for more as now that I read them all in one chunk I really want more.

omgkitty

Anyone here bought digital comics from Amazon and read them in the Comixology app? Do they just show up as already owning them on Comixology once purchased? Was thinking of picking up a couple that are $6 cheaper on Amazon than they are on Comixology.

Dusknoir

Anyone here bought digital comics from Amazon and read them in the Comixology app? Do they just show up as already owning them on Comixology once purchased? Was thinking of picking up a couple that are $6 cheaper on Amazon than they are on Comixology.
If you link the accounts or just have one for both they will show in the comiXology app.

sasliquid

I've been avoiding my comic store for a while so I'm worried about the backlog they have for me...

But now that the first rebirth books are coming out, which is the stuff people would recommend?

http://i.imgur.com/qpapux5.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Op8rkce.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
Im glad you're enjoying it. Yea the coloring is quite good. And the book keeps a pretty unique look and feel

Top Bottom