• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

TheFlow

Banned
edit: sorry for double post.

Vixen one shot

this one shot was so damn great that not given Vixen a solo series with this team is criminal. I only know about her from the cartoon but reading this was perfect. Her backstory is crazy. Reminds me of BP.

The best part of this is how her powers were drawn. Like damn.
NKeUqzjULYfITNK7VILlYmGN6HOPFh4fPplNExRO0PDnPL9M9D3e6glxSEOF0DBFqQkx7VyXuJi2eYAKyIhQ2dimUtQucsu31NEP4W_2nc7r1W7F-Kn-8_0PywOADlKr6Ka55g=s0

Weiss

Banned
Shit that's boss. Vixen always seemed like a second rate Animal Man so I love the new visual they added to it.

I gotta check out JLA now. It's not gonna get cancelled at five issues is it?

TheFlow

Banned
Shit that's boss. Vixen always seemed like a second rate Animal Man so I love the new visual they added to it.

I gotta check out JLA now. It's not gonna get cancelled at five issues is it?

oh man they did an Animal Man callback when it showed her connecting to her powers for the first time. Very similar to the red/life tree.

Knowing DC and that Orlando is on it. the book is going to have some legs.

Like this is amazing art work

ElNarez

Banned
I TOLD Y'ALL ABOUT VIXEN

I WAS ON THAT SHIT DAY ONE, THAT'S SOME SUPERSTAR TALENT RIGHT THERE

Also, yeah, Ray was fucking aces. There was a moment where I was like "okay, this is hitting the Coming Out parable WAY TOO HEAVY", but then I was like "fuck it, it's a good coming out parable, it's cool as hell, who gives a shit"

Also, yeah, Ray was fucking aces. There was a moment where I was like "okay, this is hitting the Coming Out parable WAY TOO HEAVY", but then I was like "fuck it, it's a good coming out parable, it's cool as hell, who gives a shit"

Yeah that was my take as well. It started to feel a little too on the nose at a couple of points but fuck it, it's a great way to tell this story and the execution was about 90% successful

TheFlow

Banned
I TOLD Y'ALL ABOUT VIXEN

yea you were the reason why I bought it to begin with. I spent this week just catching up on stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Also, apparently, yes, THE LINE AT 2.99 IS HELD ON DIGITAL.

How DC got that past retailers, I have no fucking clue, but, that's good hustling.

This is how Marvel should of fucking done it. I have been saying this for a while but digital single issues really shouldn't be the same price as physical.

edit: didn't someone here say the books went up to 4 on CMX. guess they are going to change the price back.

I am very excited the price is staying the same at least till May.

What sorcery is this

How the fuck did they pull that off???
DC is pulling some Game of thrones level stuff business wise. but it would of been so much better if they made All-star batman 4 bucks digitally

Dusknoir

I'm still going to buy physical from dcbs that shit sounds awesome. I wonder when it'll expend to stuff like young animal and vertigo

Weiss

Banned
I read the final volume of Chew.

It is absolute trash. I feel angry that I spent so much time reading this series if it was going to amount to this shitstorm.

ElNarez

Banned
Their reasoning for putting the price up of paper copies by adding a digital code would only make it stupid as fuck for them to put the digital price up as well. I'm glad someone has seemingly noticed that at DC and not just did it anyway, for now at least.

there was a time long ago, before time itself, when Marvel had 2.99 books, and then they did literally the thing you said

I TOLD Y'ALL ABOUT VIXEN

Was just at the store eyeing it and didn't get it.

Cyclops is cool because he's a loser. He cheats on his wife and constantly fucks everything up, but he gets it done. He fucks up and fucks up and fucks up and keeps going and wears that shit like a badge because someone has to lead, and he's the best damn leader there is. That panel you posted, and Morrison's run in general, is a good example of Cyclops done right; he's ruthlessly devoted to the mission, and a complete fuck up in everything else.

He is not Batman with eye lasers. He's not a mass murderer. He's not this utterly morally depraved asshole who still has everyone lining up to lick his boots. Whedon, and then following writers, undid everything that made Cyclops good so he could be Just Another Badass.

It is weird to me that people praise Cyclops without bringing up the actual best Cyclops moment of all time, the Proteus Saga. Wherein Wolverine goes through a massively traumatic incident and Cyclops splashes coffee in his face and tells him to stop being a little diaper baby, and then beats up the entire team single handed.

No, no, no.

Cyclops is not a loser. Cyclops is repression. He's the constant holding in of passion and anger, the unyielding sense of duty to his family and his people. (This is also why young Cyclops' solo worked, it gave Scott a chance to cut free with his father, which older Scott never had.)

The difference between pre- and post-Whedon is the ultimately realization that humans aren't going to play ball and mutants won't save themselves. Cyclops post-Whedon isn't Batman, he's just about making the hard choices needed to save mutants. You point out his devotion to the mission? The mission is the survival of mutantkind. Full stop.

That's not a mass murderer. That's not an asshole. That's an unsung goddamn hero.

And this Hitler talk in the comics has never and will never match up with the events in the books themselves.

I love how little comic characters' height ever actually matters.

Squirrel Girl: 5'3".

Roberto Da Costa: 5'8".

Cannonball: 6'.

The gap between Doreen and Roberto's heights here: At least a foot. And they're both in pretty flat shoes. And Sam looks shorter than Roberto.

I read the final volume of Chew.

It is absolute trash. I feel angry that I spent so much time reading this series if it was going to amount to this shitstorm.

This is rather disappointing to hear. My interest started dropping a little around trade 8/9 but I was hoping for a strong finish.

No, no, no.

Cyclops is not a loser. Cyclops is repression. He's the constant holding in of passion and anger, the unyielding sense of duty to his family and his people. (This is also why young Cyclops' solo worked, it gave Scott a chance to cut free with his father, which older Scott never had.)

The difference between pre- and post-Whedon is the ultimately realization that humans aren't going to play ball and mutants won't save themselves. Cyclops post-Whedon isn't Batman, he's just about making the hard choices needed to save mutants. You point out his devotion to the mission? The mission is the survival of mutantkind. Full stop.

That's not a mass murderer. That's not an asshole. That's an unsung goddamn hero.

And this Hitler talk in the comics has never and will never match up with the events in the books themselves.

Subscribed to post.

Hagi

there was a time long ago, before time itself, when Marvel had 2.99 books, and then they did literally the thing you said

Those were the days. Now you don't even get a code you can sell on Reddit. Who the fuck is going to buy 50 digital copies of Civil War 2 #1.

TheFlow

Banned
Also, just caught up on Red Hood, really good stuff. So was the dark Trinity a thing before rebirth?

oh man I have a hard on for this book.

The gap between Doreen and Roberto's heights here: At least a foot. And they're both in pretty flat shoes. And Sam looks shorter than Roberto.

I knew someone was going to post this pic

No, no, no.

All of this

This is something editors should be giving notes on because it's extremely unlikely the artists know the supposed heights of characters

It seems like a really smart and timely move. Starting something that Marvel is now going to stop doing and then charging less for digital, which everyone always wanted from Marvel. Wonder if they were always going to stick with the 2.99 pricing or if it was just decided recently.

Top Bottom