• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

TheFlow

Banned
Cage #4 Mini Finale

Just perfect. The dialog, colors, and panels were amazingly done. The best thing about this book was how it dedicated so many pages to the most epic fight ever. Best Fight you will ever see Luke cage in . Great ending as well. I wish Genndy would write another series.

Captain America: Sam Wilson #18
PoC Nick Spencer has come for us
After a couple of side issues and road trips we finally get to a meaty issue and man does it hard. My eyes actually got watery because Nick Spencer decided to write about some real shit. The way Sam confided in everyone and their responses felt so true. The real MVP though is RAGE. Easily one of the strongest issues of the week.

462381._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Invincible Iron Man #3
Solid chapter. We figure out how the company is going and what is going with all of Tony's love ones. Best part of this issue was Riri trying to come up with a name for the suit. Bendis and I think the same when it comes to stereotypes. I love the art in this issue. Suit looks great on Riri. Also this book answered another question of mine. Jessica Jones is set a little bit in the future

U.S.Avengers #2
So we all know Danielle Cage is in this book but we finally found out why and her power set is awesome as hell. Then we find out about the Gold Skull and what he is up to. The dialog is solid in this book, and a lot of stuff is moving but the issue ends fast imo. The one panel people will be mentioning is
the whole entire team in suits

Spider-Gwen #16
what an awesome issue. I was iffy on this arc but now I am fully on board. this chapter was just lovely. the age thing was brought up, Gwen and miles having a lot to talk about, and Matt Murdock! Like woah yah didn't tell me he was a badass in this. The colors were so cool. Felt like neo-New York. The ending is definitely a plot twist.

Monsters Unleashed

"Pointless act! You don't make a monster story about some kid's imagination bullshit! That's inappropriate! That's inexcusable! That I don't forgive!"

Weiss

Banned
Morrison started it. Whedon was just the one-two punch the cemented it.

tumblr_inline_oixotxIHnm1u52b48_540.jpg

And it was awesome.

This is Whedon's biggest problem, that and the fact that he's not even half as clever as he thinks he is, but you don't think Cyclops is cool and good so I do not agree with your opinion and you should burn in hell.

Cyclops is cool because he's a loser. He cheats on his wife and constantly fucks everything up, but he gets it done. He fucks up and fucks up and fucks up and keeps going and wears that shit like a badge because someone has to lead, and he's the best damn leader there is. That panel you posted, and Morrison's run in general, is a good example of Cyclops done right; he's ruthlessly devoted to the mission, and a complete fuck up in everything else.

He is not Batman with eye lasers. He's not a mass murderer. He's not this utterly morally depraved asshole who still has everyone lining up to lick his boots. Whedon, and then following writers, undid everything that made Cyclops good so he could be Just Another Badass.

It is weird to me that people praise Cyclops without bringing up the actual best Cyclops moment of all time, the Proteus Saga. Wherein Wolverine goes through a massively traumatic incident and Cyclops splashes coffee in his face and tells him to stop being a little diaper baby, and then beats up the entire team single handed.

Monsters Unleashed is one underwhelming comic book. Barebones story (that is supremely stupid), dull action sequences that all look the same (and are unpleasant to read on a tablet), utterly forgettable monsters. Lazy and uninspired, particularly its garbage ending, I cannot recommend it to anyone. I might just nope outta this whole business after this issue.

Not a single memorable panel in an oversized comic book where super heroes fight giant monsters. Some kind of feat right there.

TheFlow

Banned
Monsters Unleashed is one underwhelming comic book. Barebones story (that is supremely stupid), dull action sequences that all look the same (and are unpleasant to read on a tablet), utterly forgettable monsters. Lazy and uninspired, particularly its garbage ending, I cannot recommend it to anyone. I might just nope outta this whole business after this issue.

Not a single memorable panel in an oversized comic book where super heroes fight giant monsters. Some kind of feat right there.
For anybody who bought this after reading the batman crossover..

hqdefault.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
Ether #3

Print Release Date
January 18 2017
Digital Release Date
January 25 2017

dafuq is this. I actually thought it was coming out today till I read the fine print.

Apparently the Kamandi Challenge is pretty good this week. From twitter it sounds like the best #1 of the week.

Doing the "final" hunt soon in FFXV. Love big rock turtles.

TheFlow

Banned
Maybe. But the thing about minis, especially sub-six issue minis is that they really make me want to trade wait. I mean, fuck $3.99 per issue if the ride is going to be over in a few months anyway. No reason to read it piecemeal.

we think the same, but I couldn't help but cave on Luke cage. it is so good.

TheFlow

Banned
Apparently the Kamandi Challenge is pretty good this week. From twitter it sounds like the best #1 of the week.

isn't that just a reprint this week of the first #1 from way back?

edit: yea looks like a special reprint. The real one is next week.

Sounds like out of date info. I didn't see it on comiclist at all over the weekend for this week
ah gotcha.

This was the Kamandi challenge special that publishes the last two issues from the original series that were never put out originally. I'm sure Kirby Kompletionists are thrilled to have it.

isn't that just a reprint this week of the first #1 from way back?

edit: yea looks like a special reprint. The real one is next week.
Reviewers must've gotten them then. Saw some talking about it but with no links. They did provide links to The Ray's Rebirth issue now that I think about it. That's out now, right?
This was the Kamandi challenge special that publishes the last two issues from the original series that were never put out originally. I'm sure Kirby Kompletionists are thrilled to have it.
Yeah, that must've been nice for them.

Reviewers must've gotten them then. Saw some talking about it but with no links. They did provide links to The Ray's Rebirth issue now that I think about it. That's out now, right?

The Ray isn't out yet

I'm perched here waiting for it. Watching. Like a gargoyle

Edit: I'm wrong, it's out, I get an F for gargoyling

Weiss

Banned
I hope Ray is gay in the new continuity, like he is in the cartoon.

Oh man I live and breathe for Aikku and Toni being attached at the hip anytime they're around each other:

60ea8d9a31e425fc660cd89a14e2b11b.png

As happy as I am that Toni and Pod are actively together, it is disappointing that USAvengers got rid of Wiccan and Hulkling.

Ross61

All the JLA one-shots have been great so far and Steve's been saying everything right in the interviews. JLA is going to be something special.

I think the only one left is Killer Frost.

I hope Ray is gay in the new continuity, like he is in the cartoon.

As happy as I am that Toni and Pod are actively together, it is disappointing that USAvengers got rid of Wiccan and Hulkling.

I dying. I am on the first page as we speak

That was a spectacular face plant I just did

Fuck I can't believe I overlooked this issue, I've been dying to read it since it was announced, lol
This tweet is good. Would've never happened years ago.

TheFlow

Banned
The Ray oneshot

Great Introduction to a character. I felt bad for his childhood like damn. Art was fucking amazing, and made his powers look crazy. One thing that confused me about this is how exactly does his
invisible powers work.
. Otherwise great start. I have vixen sitting here so I might as well read that now and get it over with. I have no intentions to read the atom because of the impressions here.

edit: no wonder I liked it. Orlando was writing and Byrne was on the art <3.

tim1138

The Ray oneshot

Great Introduction to a character. I felt bad for his childhood like damn. Art was fucking amazing, and made his powers look crazy. One thing that confused me about this is how exactly does his
invisible powers work.
. Otherwise great start. I have vixen sitting here so I might as well read that now and get it over with. I have no intentions to read the atom because of the impressions here.

edit: no wonder I liked it. Orlando was writing and Byrne was on the art <3.

Re: your spoiler

Using his powers to bend light and remove the visible spectrum. He's invisible but not incorporeal

Top Bottom