• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Ross61

geoffjohnsrings.jpg

What's everyone's thoughts on the Raven comic? Saw it at the store, but decided to pass on it for now, since I didn't have time to find the 1st issue.

Steve Orlando doing another DC mini/event style book? What does the guy have on DC? Lol

Not trying to be negative on the guy, I just haven't like much else he's done besides Midnighter, but he seems to be the only one getting this mini's/crossover books.

Midnighter and Apollo is probably DC's best book right now behind only Shade

Edit: maybe also behind The Flintstones

It seems to me like Orlando has a very up and down range and isn't really consistant. I think he's been killing on Midnighter and the JLA one-shots(outside of Cap Atom), but at the same time Monster Men was absolutely terrible and Supergirl has been pretty dreadful. Supergirl in particular hurts after reading that Being Super issue and wishing that was the actual ongoing at the moment.

I also love what he's done with Midnighter but would still put it under like 6 books going right now at DC.

It seems to me like Orlando has a very up and down range and isn't really consistant. I think he's been killing on Midnighter and the JLA one-shots(outside of Cap Atom), but at the same time Monster Men was absolutely terrible and Supergirl has been pretty dreadful. Supergirl in particular hurts after reading that Being Super issue and wishing that was the actual ongoing at the moment.

I also love what he's done with Midnighter but would still put it under like 6 books going right now at DC.

Yeah he's always been inconsistent. Undertow was so terrible I wrote him off entirely for a long time. I didn't like Monster Men or his Supergirl either

But man The Ray was the good stuff. And Midnighter is an amazing character.

The only Orlando book I have read is Supergirl and that book is not good imo. I'll be checking out JLA though.

Have you checked out Being Super? It's a mini but I really liked it. I thought it was a lot better and made me bummed it wasn't the series we were actually getting.

OmegaX

I would go for the $20 one if humble bundle offered comixology codes.

I'd buy more of these comics bundles if there were color e-ink readers. Recently I've been reading manga from humble bundle on my Kobo and the experience is pretty similar to a real book.

Ross61

I must be in the minority because I really like Orlando's Supergirl. Great emotional writing with some great art to complement it.

tim1138

I must be in the minority because I really like Orlando's Supergirl. Great emotional writing with some great art to complement it.

I like Supergirl a lot as well. I've enjoyed everything I've read by Orlando to various degrees, he's easily my favorite current writer.

Not really. Roy and Jason are rejected sidekicks and Starfire grew up a slave. The best issues involve them healing from their pain.

I guess that would be interesting. I think it just felt weird is because I've only known starfire from her time in the Teen Titans show. Jason, only from the Red Hood movie, and Roy from the couple episodes I saw of Young Justice. And I didn't really like him there.

Hagi

Wait, Monsters Unleashed sucked? That's a bummer.

I wouldn't say it outright sucked but it didn't use it's concept to it's benefit. It was a pretty standard first issue that felt like it could be a random issue of any current team book. There is monsters and people fight them, buy issue 2 for more.

I wouldn't say it outright sucked but it didn't use it's concept to it's benefit. It was a pretty standard first issue that felt like it could be a random issue of any current team book. There is monsters and people fight them, buy issue 2 for more.

I didn't think McNiven was a good choice for big monster fights tbh. Very static style.

Vibranium

Banned
Sad to hear Monsters Unleashed isn't great.

I'm re-reading DnA Guardians of the Galaxy and I feel really upset about what Marvel has done to Star-Lord. I want the helmet back and yet I know the movie outfit will be his default for a long time. The new half-way costume doesn't cut it. Also, 2008 Quill is less of a complete joke and more of a leader who cracks jokes.

On the bright side, Black Widow is awesome and better than Edmondson's run. A shame Waid and Samnee are leaving. Best run Natasha has had since The Name of the Rose.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Lord and Miller are literally Kings of Entertainment

I was so blown away by the Lego movie when I saw it recently. Biggest surprise and most creative movie I saw last year.
Also pretty funny that I felt like it has to be the biggest sellout ever when I heard of it first.

Cant wait for Lego Batman, too!

Nudull

Banned
Sad to hear Monsters Unleashed isn't great.

I'm re-reading DnA Guardians of the Galaxy and I feel really upset about what Marvel has done to Star-Lord. I want the helmet back and yet I know the movie outfit will be his default for a long time. The new half-way costume doesn't cut it. Also, 2008 Quill is less of a complete joke and more of a leader who cracks jokes.

On the bright side, Black Widow is awesome and better than Edmondson's run. A shame Waid and Samnee are leaving. Best run Natasha has had since The Name of the Rose.

The DnA Guardians omnibus has been on my radar for a while now. Is it worth jumping in blind, or would I need to read some other cosmic stuff first?

That's a real shame. It was a good concept too, far and away from the usual heroes vs. heroes.

Top Bottom