• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Messi

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men was dogshit.

giphy.gif

Strong hot take. Good stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
In April, you will be able to find the codes in the following now-$3.99 titles Batgirl, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Batman Beyond, Batwoman, Blue Beetle, Cyborg, The Hellblazer, New Super-Man, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Super Sons, Supergirl, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity and in the pre-existing $4.99 title All-Star Batman.

not bad.

Weiss

Banned
Explain yourself.

Everything about his comic is a rehash of Claremont's run.

He undid over two decades of Kitty Pryde's growth and reverted her back to the teenybopper with a crush on Colossus, who was frankly better off dead.

He kickstarted the trend of Cyclops being a sleek confident uber badass who is just so amazingly cool at all times.

He made Xavier even more of a shithead by revealing he was enslaving the Danger Room.

Armor.

All of his characters have the exact same voice because he's incapable of writing anyone that isn't a smarmy badass.

I'm not sure where the rest of the run goes but I'm guessing Rucka saw how Amazon's uh, procreate? in Azzarello's WW and was just like "nope, fuck this."

It's a pretty fun run though, about 20 issues in. It definitely stands out in that it's a long-form story rather than a bunch of shorter arcs. I wish more Marvel/DC comics were confident enough to do stuff like this (and also not worried about cancellation ruining everything).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Paging Freeza!

41ioqEklFhL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The original stories that took the comics market by storm in a prestige collection of the unabridged and unadulterated series.

In 1986, James Cameron's Aliens brought to theaters the horrors of a new kind of war against a terrifying enemy. Two years later, Dark Horse Comics released a direct follow-up to the events in the film. Years before any talk of a third Alien film, the comics series took fandom by storm, selling hundreds of thousands of copies. Thirty years later, Dark Horse are still a valued partner of 20th Century Fox and join them in celebrating Aliens with the release of this oversize collection of the original comics series.

Long before Alien3 (1992) was even a glint in director David Fincher's eye, Dark Horse Comics was already crafting a terrifying post-Aliens continuity for Ripley, Hicks, and Newt… Earth is overrun by xenomorphs with no hope of saving it for humanity. But that doesn't mean just leaving it to the Aliens. Ripley has a plan to capture, from what they believe is the Alien homeworld, a 'Queen Mother' - a super queen that rules multiple nests - and bring it back to Earth. There the Queen Mother will command the xenomorphs to gather where they can all be destroyed by nuclear bombs.

This title will be released on April 27, 201

51ukhgYxvHL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of one of the great action movies of all time with this collection of original comics sequels to the film.
Before Predator 2 was ever conceived as a film, writer Mark Verheiden and artist Chris Warner created an acclaimed comic-book sequel to Predator that took the alien trophy hunters from the jungles of Central America to the concrete jungle of New York City--where they face Dutch Schaefer's big brother, who's an NYPD detective!
Also included in this volume are Verheiden's two subsequent Predator stories--Cold War, which finds the Predators crash-landed in Siberia, and Dark River, in which the hero of Concrete Jungle traces the path of his younger brother to find out what really happened to him after the events in the movie Predator.
Three now-classic tales in one over-sized, deluxe hard cover volume designed to sit on your bookshelf beside the Aliens 30th Anniversary edition!

Collects:
Collects Predator: Concrete Jungle (#1-#4), Predator: Cold War (#1-#4), and Predator: Dark River

This title will be released on June 27, 2017

VeeP

Wow. Just caught up with Deadly Class. Haven't read a single issue before this. It's great.

Anyone have similar comic recommendations?

Wow. Just caught up with Deadly Class. Haven't read a single issue before this. It's great.

What did you like about it?

I would probably point you to some of Remender's other Image stuff, especially Seven to Eternity. But it's hard to call it "similar"

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I can't really think of anything all the similar to Deadly Class. It's pretty unique. So the best I can do is recommend other high-quality titles.

Manifest Destiny
Monstress
Birthright
Lazarus
Rumble
Southern Bastards
The Fix
Black Hammer
Saga
Paper Girls

ElNarez

Banned
All of his characters have the exact same voice because he's incapable of writing anyone that isn't a smarmy badass.

This is Whedon's biggest problem, that and the fact that he's not even half as clever as he thinks he is, but you don't think Cyclops is cool and good so I do not agree with your opinion and you should burn in hell.

Why be exciting when you can have Magneto constantly making face/heel turns?

Haha, I know, right? I appreciate his character's nature is always has the best intentions, ends up doing it in the worst way, but fuck does he flip flop around in these movies. I don't even mind that as much as everyone's non reactions to it. They almost try to go the hulk angle of I just want to be left alone, but fuck it off immediately and with barely another reference afterwards.He doesn't even seem all that gutted by the end. "On to the next thing I suppose".

Also, was the movie one of the very few movies left heavily pushing the 3d angle? All the fight scenes had this horrible cheap look to them, very tight on a character doing something with a really super imposed looking background. My assumption was it may have been with 3d in mind?

Dalek

X-Men Apocalypse was a pure shit movie. I liked how cheap the scenes of Apocalypse and his Horsemen striking dumb poses on a truly cheap looking "desert cliff" set.

And Whedon's X-Men was great. Last great X-Men run not counting Uncanny X-Force.

This Black Panther variant cover is pretty sweet.
Why is it Storm instead of Emma?
"PSYCH Im not actually doing X-Men, here's Joss Whedon and Stuart Immonen"
I could only be so blessed
Everything about his comic is a rehash of Claremont's run.
In what way? I don't see it, and I've read Claremont's run. He pays homage to it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a rehash.
He undid over two decades of Kitty Pryde's growth and reverted her back to the teenybopper with a crush on Colossus, who was frankly better off dead.
Do teenyboppers normally take the role of school counselor and teacher? She's very much an adult in this. She's not screaming out like she did with Storm or Xavier. She's calmer and more confident, and is willing to take charge in a room. She checks people when they need to be checked, in fact to the point where she was directly recruited for that reason. Sure, she's still young and acts like it, but I don't see how that's a problem.

As for her feelings for Colossus, again, I'm not seeing the issue. She loved him, he came back from the dead, they rekindled the flame.
He kickstarted the trend of Cyclops being a sleek confident uber badass who is just so amazingly cool at all times.
As pointed out, Morrison began it, Whedon just cemented it. And again, this can only be a problem if you don't like Cyclops. Why anyone would want him to remain insecure and questioning himself all the time is beyond me. It's why Emma and him work. She helped him be more confident and sure of himself, to the point where he didn't need to rely on her or anyone to help him out. He called shots, made plays, and did what he had to do. He made some dark decisions because he needed to, and again, I don't see how that's a problem. He takes a lot of that pain onto himself, and broods a lot. He always has a weight in the back of his head that basically means that, whenever he fucks up, it's on him. And now that he carries himself more confidently, it's even heavier. Plus, he alienates people due to how cold he becomes. This isn't exactly a character who just got better without flaws.
He made Xavier even more of a shithead by revealing he was enslaving the Danger Room.
He wasn't a shithead beforehand? Maybe if Whedon had actually done the worst to his character, I'd be upset, but considering Brubaker's run happened, I have no sympathies to that. You want to really blame someone for taking it to far, that's
You do you, but I think Armor is great. Her power's cool, she's fun, she's got a cool power (basic as it might be), and more Asian representation is always a good thing.
I see this complaint, and I can see it to a degree in that he does write very quippy dialogue, but I can't agree on him being unable to create distinct character voices. Emma certainly carries herself as posh and high-class; Cyclops is commanding, direct, and to the point, carrying himself in a clear and concise manner; Logan is gruff and completely informal to the point of being obscene in some cases; Colossus is largely cold and distant, speaking very plainly. Hell, he even makes a joke at one point and it doesn't land at all due to how serious and straight he is. Kitty is upbeat and "modern." She's basically mid-series Buffy in all but looks (which works considering Whedon has stated that he based Buffy off of Kitty), having a confidence in her abilities whilst still being light-hearted, jokey, and emotional. She's highly compassionate as well. Beast is kind of a weird mix: he carries himself similar to Emma, without the highly sardonic tone, though he does tend to condescend every once in awhile. He also manages to maintain a grounded voice that's fairly lighthearted. Armor is a smartass and Brand is basically Nick Fury with way more sass and less gruffness.

Again, I can understand not liking his quippy writing (even I think it gets a little too much sometimes), but I can't even remotely agree that he doesn't have unique voices for each character.
This is Whedon's biggest problem, that and the fact that he's not even half as clever as he thinks he is, but you don't think Cyclops is cool and good so I do not agree with your opinion and you should burn in hell.

Even he doesn't think he's that clever. He just does what he does.

LordOfLore will be so pissed he wasn't up to make the thread.

Let me know if you want a digital code. Can send it to you once I get home from work.
Noooooooooo! :p
So who's going all-in on the $99 edition of Injustice 2? I think I might have to. I can't stand playing a fighting game like that and not having everything. And the cosmetic changes to make Supergirl into Power Girl? HHHHNNNNNGGGGG

This will be just like that time I bought Street Fighter V, except this game will be good. :3
Me!
Haha, well played DC. All single shipped books that will be 3.99 will also come with a digital code.

http://www.newsarama.com/32762-some-dc-rebirth-titles-increase-to-3-99-get-digital-access-codes.html
This is amazing.

Paging Freeza!

41ioqEklFhL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This title will be released on April 27, 201

51ukhgYxvHL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This title will be released on June 27, 2017
Might have to pick these up!

Mindwipe

They're releasing Buffy Season 8 in two omnibus volumes, so you can read the good first half and skip the utterly terrible second half.

The conclusion to the two face arc in All Start Batman was ass : / Everything bad about Snyder's writing style dialed to 11. I was quite enjoying it up to that point too.

ElNarez

Banned
https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/821072706468794368

have we talked about how fucking bad this is? HEY DIPSHITS, ORDER THIS BOOK SIGHT UNSEEN BECAUSE IT'S A FUCKING MARVEL EVENT AND YOU WANT THAT SHIT, YOU FUCKING PIGS, ORDER TODAY, COME ON, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO, BUY DC? HAH YEAH WE'D LIKE TO SEE THAT WAIT NO SHIT NO FUCK WHAT ARE YOU DOING NO PUT DOWN THAT COPY OF AQUAMAN NO BACK BACK NO OH FUCK WHAT HAVE WE DONE WE FUCKED UP WE HAVE FUCKED UP NOW

Batman

After being annoyed by the previous two issues I actually really liked this issue and the answers we get for Catwoman. I think there are some holes in the logic that led her to this point, but I like what we got and I'm happy we actually got answers and they weren't delayed anymore.

Has anyone tried doing an ARG or something like it with comics or involving a comic?

The idea of ARG's getting more attention lately and Frog Fraction 2 it's made me think the type of thing would work really well with comics. The artist sneaking small clues and details in the art or clues in the speech of a character.

Has it been done before though?

kmfdmpig

X-Men Apocalypse was a pure shit movie. I liked how cheap the scenes of Apocalypse and his Horsemen striking dumb poses on a truly cheap looking "desert cliff" set.

And Whedon's X-Men was great. Last great X-Men run not counting Uncanny X-Force.

I agree with both of your points.
Apocalypse was such a let down. I liked First Class and thought that Days of Future Past was a top-tier superhero movie, so I was looking forward to Apocalypse. It was absolutely dreadful (worse than Suicide Squad for me as it least that one was somewhat fun at times).

been saying this for months. the story felt like it was nearing an conclusion at #8.

kinda sad but I rather it end strong.

two of my favorite comics ending this year :/
At least they get to end the way they wanted it looks like.

Hopefully DC will do Deluxe HC's for both of them.

Top Bottom