• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

mreddie

It's hinted that Marvel is gonna experiment with how they do double issues, one shots and yet, the digital codes thing is still the facepalmmer.

Starlord: First page: ABS. Otherwise, good issue and I'm shocked Zdarsky is just as good as Fraction Marvel wise...now if Matt can stop being an ass about Sex Criminals.

Venom: I'm still so so about Lee. He needs to show a character soon because he's starting to lose me.

The Ray: RAY IS BAE

Black Widow: I'm fucking shocked Samnee/Waid dealt with the Man on the Moon with such poise and the book is reaching the endline.

Nudull

Banned
I want to like Venom, and I'm okay with him being a villain again despite generally liking the Flash Thompson-era, but Lee is such a generic edgelord character that it becomes a chore to read.

No, no, no.

Cyclops is not a loser. Cyclops is repression. He's the constant holding in of passion and anger, the unyielding sense of duty to his family and his people. (This is also why young Cyclops' solo worked, it gave Scott a chance to cut free with his father, which older Scott never had.)

The difference between pre- and post-Whedon is the ultimately realization that humans aren't going to play ball and mutants won't save themselves. Cyclops post-Whedon isn't Batman, he's just about making the hard choices needed to save mutants. You point out his devotion to the mission? The mission is the survival of mutantkind. Full stop.

That's not a mass murderer. That's not an asshole. That's an unsung goddamn hero.

And this Hitler talk in the comics has never and will never match up with the events in the books themselves.
Amen
The only Orlando book I have read is Supergirl and that book is not good imo. I'll be checking out JLA though.
Midnighter. It's like a brutal, mature version of Ms. Marvel, only with a gay white guy instead of a straight Pakistani-Muslim girl.
Not really. Roy and Jason are rejected sidekicks and Starfire grew up a slave. The best issues involve them healing from their pain.
I still thought they were a weird combo, if only on an aesthetic level. It's like if the Justice League core trinity was Batman, Green Arrow, and Power Girl.
More importantly: does this mean this could be Marvel's first book to go a continuous 30+ issues without a renumbering? What was the last book that did that? Hickman's Avengers books and maybe Bendis' X-Men?
Can't say I disagree. This book was a mess from start to finish- and seemed weirdly disconnected from the rest of the marvel universe.

Speaking of which- is this the only book to remember weirdworld exists? That concept seems to have been dropped pretty damned fast.
Extraordinary X-Men had a short arc that took place in Weirdworld early on in the series.
lol, Arrow is a pretty dumb show but S2 is damn good imo. Have you watched Flash? S1 is literally the best superhero thing on TV in the last few years. After that not so much though.
Flash's S1 finale alone negates damn near any good will it had.

More importantly: does this mean this could be Marvel's first book to go a continuous 30+ issues without a renumbering? What was the last book that did that? Hickman's Avengers books and maybe Bendis' X-Men?

Flash's S1 finale alone negates damn near any good will it had.

Do you think they can resist renumbering? lol

What are you referencing? The
cliffhanger with the singularity? Barry seeing his mother and choosing not to save her and Eddie's sacrifice are great. You can just pretend it ends there.

Sandfox

ANAD started like 15 months ago so not too many books are going to be close to that. Deadpool and ASM will likely hit the 30 before OML though.

Do you think they can resist renumbering? lol

What are you referencing? The
cliffhanger with the singularity? Barry seeing his mother and choosing not to save her and Eddie's sacrifice are great. You can just pretend it ends there.

It's negated by the fact that it is the absolute dumbest, most contrived character bullshit I think I could conceivably process, and it isn't even reasonable on any level whatsoever.
How many characters tell Barry not to do it and that it's a bad idea? Joe, Cisco, and his own fucking father. HIS OWN GODDAMNED DAD TELLS HIM NO. Cisco says he's heavily against it due to the massive potential reality shifting damage it could cause (which it does), but Cisco's opinion doesn't matter because why would it. The fact that Iris is just okay with it is somehow baffling to me and I can't even think of why. And then you have Caitlyn and Ronnie who go, "Oh, well we should get married in case everything is destroyed." OR YOU COULD NOT GO THROUGH WITH IT. THAT ALSO WORKS. Meanwhile Stein is masturbating in a corner to the sheer overwhelming pleasure of "Oh my god, time travel."

It's just fucking stupid. Barry is willing to risk all of reality for something no one wants, and something that he's not even sure he wants. In fact, he doesn't even know what it'll accomplish, but he does it anyways and DOESN'T EVEN GO THROUGH WITH IT. And oh wow, he comes back and gets his nice superhero moment. He turns back and realizes "Hey, as much as it pains me, I shouldn't do this." But nope, that's not what happens. He turns back because his future past self says "Nah bruh." So he shows up, gets his ass kicked (best part) and then Eddie dies to save everyone.

Except Ronnie still dies trying to fix a mess that everyone helped Barry create in order to help Barry. And the worst part? They don't consider a single ONE SINGLE alternative action. NOT ONE SINGLE ALTERNATIVE.

But here's something that may be even worse: everyone is just cool with it. "Oh Barry it wasn't your fault that Ronnie was killed trying to fix a problem that didn't even mean anything except OH WAIT ZOOM AND SHIT AND PORTALS AND SHIT AND OH GEE WOW MORE THREATS. But it's not your fault Barry." And sure, Caitlyn mopes for awhile, but she's so terribly underwritten at that point that why would I even bother to care?

Seriously. It's the beginning continuous pattern of Barry doing dumb shit that either undoes character development or shows how little regard he has for others around him, but everyone is somehow just okay with it. He does that shit constantly, and no one checks him. The only people that did were Iris, who is a mess of a character that is just all around bland if she isn't being useless, and Wally, who's pretty much the angry, delinquent black kid. I dropped the show part of the way through S2. Patty and the Earth 2 episode made me go "Fuck this I'm done."

"Leaks": The PR for Duggan taking on the Guardians mentioned the book will be twice montly like Spider-Man was a few years ago. They didn't mention anything about lowering the price on the book.

It's sort of funny that Alonso said that twice monthly, lowered prices and returnability were bad ideas that would only hurt the industry and shops only for this to happen less than a month after his new year's talk.

Black Widow is pretty good even as someone who has always been indifferent on Natasha.

World of Wakanda is kinda dull though. Like the backstories being fleshed out but it just feels like nothing more. A particularly fancy handbook, which yeah, it kinda is, but hurts the attempted story for me

Yeah I'm sometimes not sure if flash tv show Barry is meant to be the villain of the show, he does so much stupid stuff for selfish reasons with the speed force. This stuff is seriously screwing over peoples lives, I mean its not just the stuff that's mentioned, imagine how it affects all the people we don't know about. Him having his powers is like giving a child a gun.

If that stuff from series one to two annoyed you, be glad you stopped when you did, it only gets worse from series two into three.

Save us Grodd from the red menace of Central city :(

Phamit

So DC is adding digital codes while Marvel change them to a code for a selected old issue.

What a fuck up. I don't mind the DC price hike that much because of the digital code, it also makes Marvels decision a lot more laughable

Midnighter alone beats people up.

The Authority vastly changes the balance of power in the world they live in.

Nighthawk alone is cool. The Squadron Supreme in the Marvel Universe doesn't work because there are like four Avengers teams they'd be fighting if they fully committed to their mission.

This is what I mean about weirdly disconnected.

From the start the squadron was implied to be doing so much damage and having such an impact that I was nearly convinced it had to be an alt universe book.

It might as well have been, since almost no title outside of Squadron seemed to notice that they had done things like murder namor, obliterate Atlantis, murder nighthawk 1, etc etc.

They were completely MIA from stuff like civil war, standoff, or the X-men/Inhuman conflict.

For heavy hitters, everyone else didn't seem to notice they were there at all.

And yes, a few books went into weirdworld or explored the concept immediately after secret Wars including two books set there- but that came to a stop pretty quickly. Squadron is the only title I can think of that's even referred to it in months.

So DC is adding digital codes while Marvel change them to a code for a selected old issue.

What a fuck up. I don't mind the DC price hike that much because of the digital code, it also makes Marvels decision a lot more laughable

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why DC did it. Ultimate opportunists.

"Is the comic industry being oversaturated?"

"Marvel publishes three or four different Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man and Deadpool comics every month," Seymore said. "Where Marvel really takes things to the 'next' level is publishing additional big event and several ancillary mini-series multiple time each year. Guests have reached the point that they cannot keep up."

"Marvel is the only company guilty of over-saturation," said Charlie Harris, owner and operator of Charlie's Comic Books in Tucson, Arizona. "Dynamite and IDW can get a bit out-of-control with their licensed titles and crossovers, but it's Marvel's countless first issues that are piled up, unsold at my shop. And lately Marvel has been shipping extra copies for free of their titles, often doubling my order! As I can't sell twice what I've ordered, I put these aside to give away on Free Comic Book Day."

kmfdmpig

Marvel has certainly over-used the roll out new #1s card in the last few years. It's like an NFL team that has success with a gimmicky play and then thinks that it can form the basis for a game plan. A flea flicker once or twice per season is great. It's not going to work 4 times per game though. If you keep hitting readers with a new #1 once a year, don't be surprised when they no longer think of it as a big deal.

Got an email from Mondo about a couple of Aja posters releasing today. (18" x 24" screen prints)

EbruwVC.jpg

Anyone reading Generation Zero want to hazard a guess at Telic's ethnicity? I feel like I should know this. In my head, I just read her as a Southerner, but the last issue had the police identifying her as a girl of "unknown ethnicity".

My memory of Harbinger Wars is failing me on this one, if it was mentioned there.

Penguin

DC is continuing it's "We'll Team Up with The World Tour" this time a Batman/The Shadow crossover from Orlando/Snyder

http://www.newsarama.com/32789-batman-the-shadow-to-crossover-with-snyder-orlando-rossmo.html

BATMAN/SHADOW #1
Written by SCOTT SNYDER & STEVE ORLANDO
Art by RILEY ROSSMO
Two of history’s greatest vigilantes are reunited at last! Murder has come to Gotham City, and Lamont Cranston appears to be the culprit…but he’s been dead for over fifty years! Batman will go to the ends of the Earth to unravel the mystery of Cranston’s life, but the mysterious Shadow will do everything in his power to stop him from learning too much…
The superstar team of writers Scott Snyder and Steve Orlando and artist Riley Rossmo brings you a dark and twisty modern noir like nothing you’ve seen before, with a brand-new villain unlike any either hero has faced! This is the unmissable crime series of 2017, so get on board now! Co-published with Dynamite.

C2iyLkjWgAAAntR.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
reminder to Euro ComicGaf regarding the CW Archie show Riverdale:

Awesome news for international folks, it'll be on Netflix weekly the day after it airs in the US for these regions: CA, ANZ, Benelux, Nordics, Portugal, UK/IE, DACH, Czech, Nordics, France, Poland, APAC.

Are there any advantages to using the comixology app vs the Marvel comics and DC comics apps? I do like the fact that I'm able to buy directly from the DC and Marvel apps.

Messi

It's hinted that Marvel is gonna experiment with how they do double issues, one shots and yet, the digital codes thing is still the facepalmmer.

Starlord: First page: ABS. Otherwise, good issue and I'm shocked Zdarsky is just as good as Fraction Marvel wise...now if Matt can stop being an ass about Sex Criminals.

Venom: I'm still so so about Lee. He needs to show a character soon because he's starting to lose me.

The Ray: RAY IS BAE

Black Widow: I'm fucking shocked Samnee/Waid dealt with the Man on the Moon with such poise and the book is reaching the endline.

Wait... What?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Today's trailers

Logan - Hyped. Wish that scene with the claws etc was left until the film was released.

Power Rangers - Laughably cringey

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seriously, what the holy fuck have they done to Alpha. And Zordon looks like these decorations things with the many nails in it, that everyone used in the 90s to make a impression of either their face or their dick from.

I will watch the amazing original movie with Ivan Ooze instead.

Motor Girl #2-3: There have been some interesting developments over the course of these two issues I did not expect at all.

In the second issue, we started to get some hints that
Mac is not real or, interpreted more generously, that Sam is the only one who can see him. This made me question everything. What is really happening in this book? What is a hallucination? Were the aliens who visited Sam in this issue real, or is she straight up delusional? There didn't seem to be any answers, unless I missed something, as Sam and Mac are the only ones who have witnessed the aliens up to this point.

In the third issue, both of these questions are clearly addressed.
Sam is definitely the only person who can see Mac. In fact it seems there may be a heartbreaking story behind Mac's existence. I look forward to seeing that develop just as I dread it.

The aliens, on the other hand, are definitely real, and there is something special about the scrapyard...something that is maybe attracting them beyond Sam's mechanical expertise? We learn more about the shady characters that have been trying to acquire the land...they are willing to do anything to get it (not a great shock), and they have actually developed an anti-ufo device (somewhat more surprising). And one of these dudes gets abducted by a flying saucer, 50s-style. This doesn't seem random to me. Either the aliens consider those guys hostile before the abduction or they are protecting Sam (or maybe just the scrapyard). I am leaning towards the latter as the shady guys seem genuinely surprised by this event.

Can't wait to see where this goes. Highly recommended. Another winner by Moore.

TheFlow

Banned
Motor Girl #2-3: There have been some interesting developments over the course of these two issues I did not expect at all.

In the second issue, we started to get some hints that
Mac is not real or, interpreted more generously, that Sam is the only one who can see him. This made me question everything. What is really happening in this book? What is a hallucination? Were the aliens who visited Sam in this issue real, or is she straight up delusional? There didn't seem to be any answers, unless I missed something, as Sam and Mac are the only ones who have witnessed the aliens up to this point.

In the third issue, both of these questions are clearly addressed.
Sam is definitely the only person who can see Mac. In fact it seems there may be a heartbreaking story behind Mac's existence. I look forward to seeing that develop just as I dread it.

The aliens, on the other hand, are definitely real, and there is something special about the scrapyard...something that is maybe attracting them beyond Sam's mechanical expertise? We learn more about the shady characters that have been trying to acquire the land...they are willing to do anything to get it (not a great shock), and they have actually developed an anti-ufo device (somewhat more surprising). And one of these dudes gets abducted by a flying saucer, 50s-style. This doesn't seem random to me. Either the aliens consider those guys hostile before the abduction or they are protecting Sam (or maybe just the scrapyard). I am leaning towards the latter as the shady guys seem genuinely surprised by this event.

Can't wait to see where this goes. Highly recommended. Another winner by Moore.
Mac's existence was addressed in the first issue though.

Edit: yea #1 pg. 11. clearly gives us the answer about Mac. and then later in that issue we get hints as to why he is there.

CazTGG

Finally caught up on Champions, Ms. Marvel and ROM.

Champions continues to be great...even if the latest issue was mostly filler.

Ms. Marvel's latest arc is off to an unusual start. It's certainly a topic that could do with more exploring/highlighting given the prominence of doxxing on the web but i'm skeptical on how they'll handle it in issue 15. Here's hoping it delivers.

ROM remains solid, but the Issue #6 suffers from an immensely sluggish pace. The events that take place could have been contained in 3-4 pages but instead are stretched across the entire issue.

The Ultimates 2 3 (Switch): This issue blew my damn my mind (do not read while high). It's so gorgeous too.

I can't wait to see what develops from this incredibly ambitious cosmic story Ewing is telling.

ElNarez

Banned
The Ultimates 2 3 (Switch): This issue blew my damn my mind (do not read while high). It's so gorgeous too.

I can't wait to see what develops from this incredibly ambitious cosmic story Ewing is telling.

I hate the goddamn coloring. It's like no one read Animal Man, which would teach you that Travel Foreman's pencils are better with flat coloring, none of that gradient shit.

Top Bottom