• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Vibranium

Banned
I have, yeah. I've read everything Laura's been in. And I think ANW handles her well, with the exception of her villains.

Nice! Well I look forward to reading ANW in 6 months (screw that stupid MU delay).

Marvel needs more memorable new villains as a whole. It seems these days it's tough to get a multiple writers to use a recent bad guy. Also, a lot of the old ones still need redesigns.

Sandfox

Nice! Well I look forward to reading ANW in 6 months (screw that stupid MU delay).

Marvel needs more memorable new villains as a whole. It seems these days it's tough to get a multiple writers to use a recent bad guy. Also, a lot of the old ones still need redesigns.
Most writers either want to use the classics or create their own.

I thought the Sisters were a nice set of characters that developed Laura but it felt like something was missing as a whole.

mreddie

MARVEL can you calm down on the books?

MONUNL2017001-Spinoff-1.jpg

Sigh.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #6
And so the first arc concludes with a big fight that feels kinda whatever. It's a strong conclusion, but it feels unfulfilling, and of course the book can't take a break for even a minute before we get a set-up for the next plot. A plot point that wasn't difficult to see coming and shouls surprise exactly no one ever. A decent book lost some of its goodwill with me.

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #1
I realize I'm extremely late to the party, but these issues have been burning a hole in my backlog and I'm finally getting to them. This issue was a lot of fun. Good action, dialogue, pacing. It does a good job of setting up without being bogged down or feeling contrived. I'd ask questions, but there's four more issues to read. I'm really curious
as to why Max Lord refers to those villains as "forgotten"
. Seems like a lot of history that I'm not attuned to.

Fury451

Banned
Yeah. Laura and Gabby are great in ANW, it just doesn't have a strong nemesis yet.

Laura's gold in every issue though: http://le-grouch.tumblr.com/post/155127238844/i-dont-know-what-possessed-to-pick-up-all-new

ANW could've easily been a forgettable and uninteresting outing, but it's turning out to be one of my favorite current books. You're not really dealing with any kind of deep reflections or anything, but it's a lot of fun and a great character, well written, taking up the mantle.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Was just listening to the iFanboys talk about the Wasp book. It sounds fun. Plus that Elsa art. Gonna give it a shot when it hits MU.

Nudull

Banned
Have there been any stand out X-books, lately? I feel like we keep dipping in and out of relaunches that turn out to be hot air.

VanWinkle

You've been making quick progress with this series. Difficult to put down isn't it? :D

Indeed it is! I'm adoring it. It's the perfect "legacy" book. It's a love story to superhero lineage and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Of course I took that four day break to read Superior Spider-Man, though. :p

tim1138

Indeed it is! I'm adoring it. It's the perfect "legacy" book. It's a love story to superhero lineage and I'm enjoying every second of it.

It's pretty much a perfect run and one you can revisit every couple years and it's just as fresh as the first time you read it.

frye

remember those issues of Zero when it was just people beating the shit out of each other for like 24 pages for like 8 issues in a row

those ruled

shingi70

Banned
Does the fourth world stuff need to be read in the order that Kirby out it out, or can I just jump int iwht his new gods series?

ElNarez

Banned
Ales Kot: The spiritual sequel to ZERO is approved. Script #1 is written and with the artist and the publisher.

KnihLK2.jpg

uMddzM3.jpg

god with Wolf making itself scarce and not really being about Now and The Future and Fiction anyway, I've been dying for a new Ales Kot book that goes deep in it

I'm in day one, would've been regardless, but, to confirm, I am in day one, for sure

Clone Conspiracy 4:

Peter owned
Ben in this issue with that speech. And then Ben turned into a straight-up supervillain and tried to have Pete killed permanently O_O. okkkkkk. I really wonder how Slott's gonna redeem Ben for his solo book after this.

If you read my whole post you would have seen I specifically mentioned Golden Skull as a good exception. :p

I missed that part, my bad. Your broader complaint is correct. These younger versions of legacy heroes have no rogues gallery and at best end up "borrowing" from their parent book or digging into the marvel D list.

However- there is some progress.
Logos
in Ultimates 2, Nain Rouge in Great Lakes Avengers, Punisher and Matt Murdock/Kingpin in Spider-Gwen, Sinister Six in Spider Man 2099 (yes, really)- there's a decent amount of stuff out there.

I saw you called out Sam-Cap, but his book has been pretty solid. There's been a few callbacks to old Cap villains (flag smasher, serpent society), but Spencer has done a pretty good job setting up Keane and the Americops as a pretty big nemesis in that book. They aren't pushovers and there's no obvious way to deal with them head on.

Vol. 10 of Batman is just a bunch of one shot stories along with the final Snyder issues. DC was greedy as fuck. Vol. 9 should have been the conclusion.

Glad you're loving it. It was one of the key books that made me really appreciate the DC deep cuts and the power of legacy in comics

Top Bottom