• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Anyone else read Manga? Only series I currently read is Berserk. That is a hobby In itself to be honest. I guess my Shonen Jump Weekly membership counts too.

I have Osamu Tezuka's Dororo omnibus on my shelf, and that's about it. Great fucking book, though.

Look at those double-D's. You know you want those on display in your home. :D
That's the problem... I DO want it!

Anyone else read Manga? Only series I currently read is Berserk. That is a hobby In itself to be honest. I guess my Shonen Jump Weekly membership counts too.
I started Berserk but I need to get back. It's not like I don't do long series either-- I read through all of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and One Piece! I do read a bunch of things though. Over the weekend I read through Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and I thought it was hysterical.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
As far as I understand, as you get better, you'll be able to choose whether or not that roughness is there... for now, just keep drawing drawing drawing and over time, you'll realize you've now got the choice to draw things certain ways, whereas before you were struggling with the act of just getting that thing onto paper.

Ah, yeah, that does make sense. Thanks for the encouragement!

fauxtrot

Banned

I'd be interested in trying some out... are there concise stories worth checking out? I just remember watching Dragon Ball Z in my "youth" (ok, high school), and I don't have time to read three issues just about one guy powering up. (Sorry if this is an inappropriate manga/anime stereotype!)

I think everyone should bite on the collected edition of Uzumaki. One of the best horror books I've ever read.

Ooh, horror? Gonna Google this.

Zombine

Banned
I'd be interested in trying some out... are there concise stories worth checking out? I just remember watching Dragon Ball Z in my "youth" (ok, high school), and I don't have time to read three issues just about one guy powering up. (Sorry if this is an inappropriate manga/anime stereotype!)

The funny part about that is that in the Manga some of those fights are only a couple pages. The Dragon Ball books are a much tighter experience than the show.

The direction I usually lead comic fans in that was to experience a bit of Manga is to just hit Berserk first. It's very similar to say...Watchmen or Sin City where it transcends the genre and could be considered "literature." It's a narratively complex book that I would say sits firmly in between Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. It's violent, it's relentless, and it's a lot of fun. That alone would keep you busy forever.

Ooh, horror? Gonna Google this.

It's fantastic. It's written like a Lovecraft story. Super quick read. I also suggest Attack On Titan.

I've had that shit in my hands at the bookstore several times, but I never pull the trigger. Art is pretty great.

You won't regret it. I think it's perfect.

Reading Vagabond and Shaman Warrior (technically not manga but whatevs). Looking to get into Vinland Saga later

frye

The go-to rec these days for manga newbies (especially coming from a western comics background) is probably Naoki Urasawa's PLUTO which is fairly concise at 8 volumes and also v. good.

I think everyone should bite on the collected edition of Uzumaki. One of the best horror books I've ever read.

I've picked this up a few times but I never went through with buying it. I know it's supposed to be great but I just don't do horror stuff... I highly recommend Prison School to anyone looking for a non-shonen series. It's got a lot of nudity and it's most definitely NSFW, but it's an absolute riot and the characters are hilarious. The artwork is gorgeous too, it's incredibly detailed at times and the shading is great.

On comics: My boss was telling me he's gotten into reading comics on his new iPad so I told him to buy the first volume of Hawkeye. So far he's just been reading stuff like Civil War so I hope he gives it a chance.

tim1138

I have all of Akira and I think I still have copies of Ghost in the Shell and Domu. But that's it.

Vibranium

Banned
I want to read the Death Note manga, just getting into the anime on Netflix and it's pretty good so far.

Fullmetal Alchemist was my first manga ever and blew my mind, so it has a big bar to live up to.

I want to read the Death Note manga, just getting into the anime on Netflix and it's pretty good so far.

Fullmetal Alchemist was my first manga ever and blew my mind, so it has a big bar to live up to.

Death Note was very good, though it starts to drag on just a bit toward the end. My guilty pleasure manga at the moment is Sankarea. For something funny / adorable, I can't recommend Yotsuba! enough.

Vibranium

Banned
Death Note was very good, though it starts to drag on just a bit toward the end. My guilty pleasure manga at the moment is Sankarea. For something funny / adorable, I can't recommend Yotsuba! enough.

I'll check those ones out thanks! I am forming a list of stuff to read.

And good to know about the dragging bit, but I'm sure I can get through it. I've read many books that did the same.

What is going on right now...have I slipped into another dimension?
Nothing, we're just showing off our power levels. It started with Kotobukiya's Bishoujo stuff and now we're here.

If you like Yotsuba, try out Nozaki-kun if you haven't already! It's a really funny and cute 4koma series. The anime is a very faithful adaptation so far if you're not up for reading it.

Boogiepop

I read just so, so very much. Been collecting English language volumes for years and have about 2300 or so, to give a rough estimate of what I'm talking. I actually got into importing and reading stuff last year, and it's been interesting. Like, there's a technique that I never would've thought of where the furigana and the thing they're providing a reading for actually diverge (usually slightly) in meaning to infuse double meaning into a single "word." It's a small thing, but it's neat because its not really something that can be done outside of the Japanese language smoothly as far as I know (at least not in English).

I've actually been reading through Urusei Yatsura recently, and it really is a classic. It's crazy to see how creative some of the chapters can get, like the one that works out to be a boardgame, or the one with the typhoon where the house ends up flooding, or even little things like the characters words escape in literal bubbles when they're talking to the demon at the bottom of the pool that one time. It's crazy how much Rumiko Takahashi has sunk, with Inuyasha being just a poor choice of genre, and then Rinne ending up completely and utterly bland and unremarkable.

Oh, and I definitely think Tezuka deserves a shout-out if we're talking manga. It's crazy to see how influential he was, the ridiculous amount he produced, and how well the stuff he created holds up. I've only read the first two volumes of Phoenix (actually read it at the Kyoto Manga Museum underneath the giant Phoenix statue), but it was seriously amazing. I actually have a wonderful looking Japanese box set for the series that I grabbed recently and really want to dig into.

If you like Yotsuba, try out Nozaki-kun if you haven't already! It's a really funny and cute 4koma series. The anime is a very faithful adaptation so far if you're not up for reading it.
Yeah, I've been watching the anime.

As far as manga, I've been meaning to give Azumanga Daioh a read, too.

Zombine

Banned
Reading Vagabond and Shaman Warrior (technically not manga but whatevs). Looking to get into Vinland Saga later

Vinland Saga is incredible. I also think All You Need Is Kill is badass.

Also, was not trying to derail at all. Just trying to figure out if we had fans on here as well. I'm hoping that ComicGAF non-readers can see that there are a few crossover books that they should absolutely consider. We should have a list that the curious can check out that falls within a reading "safe zone" for Comic readers.

Lol Messi would be all over Claymore.

Edit 2: Boogiepop is Manga Master.

I have all of Akira and I think I still have copies of Ghost in the Shell and Domu. But that's it.

you're already ahead of the curve, son

domu1.jpg

domu4.jpg

domu5.jpg

domu6.jpg

domu7.jpg

frye

Oh, and I definitely think Tezuka deserves a shout-out if we're talking manga. It's crazy to see how influential he was, the ridiculous amount he produced, and how well the stuff he created holds up. I've only read the first two volumes of Phoenix (actually read it at the Kyoto Manga Museum underneath the giant Phoenix statue), but it was seriously amazing. I actually have a wonderful looking Japanese box set for the series that I grabbed recently and really want to dig into.

Tezuka's a good one since he's basically the only mangaka publishers (well, Vertical) will publish 1 volume works of.

Also, was not trying to derail at all. Just trying to figure out if we had fans on here as well. I'm hoping that ComicGAF non-readers can see that there are a few crossover books that they should absolutely consider.

Lol Messi would be all over Claymore.

Even though they're called different things, I still consider manga to just be another variety of comic. Which it is.

And yeah, Messi would love Claymore. He should buy that instead of the Harley premium format figure. Speaking of which, I need to catch up on Claymore. I have all of the released volumes sitting on my shelf, but I think volume 21 was the last one I read.

The go-to rec these days for manga newbies (especially coming from a western comics background) is probably Naoki Urasawa's PLUTO which is fairly concise at 8 volumes and also v. good.

I've never actually heard of Pluto. It sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Messi

Hahaha. Dammit Bii!.. makin me look bad:(
Then again I feel good I picked the same great panels as a good photographer like yourself did.

And my great review .." The Riddler and Batman play cat and mouse " lol

Don't feel bad, I liked your post. Bii is our professional reviewer. He has a solid white counter don't you know?

--

I just googled Claymore. I will not read that FILTH, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Go take a shower.

--

Big image sale too guys, all SAGA issues are a dollar each.

There were boobies everywhere. SMUT.

Now I'm really wondering what scene that was, because I don't remember it. I know what part it might have been. But of course, let's call that smut and forget that your dear Harley banged a room full of Joker cosplayers in her recent one-shot.

(I'm kidding, but I have a valid point.)

Messi

Now I'm really wondering what scene that was, because I don't remember it. I know what part it might have been. But of course, let's call that smut and forget that your dear Harley banged a room full of Joker cosplayers in her recent one-shot.

(I'm kidding, but I have a valid point.)

Harley did it tastefully I'm sure, behind closed doors.

Was hoping Rocket Girl would be part of the sale, wanted to give it another shot. No rush to though.

Rob Liefeld does free sketches at Comic Con. I think i'm gonna have him draw Harley.

Messi

Bought Death of the Family. Can't beat $5 for that. Wanna read it again after Zero Year. I'll sleep on the image bundle for the moment but I really want all of SAGA digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom