• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

Year 3 is the Dick Grayson origin, A Lonely Place of Dying is the Tim intro. And yeah, I love Rite of Passage and the Scarecrow story right after. Great era of comics, Tim's gradual introduction was really well done.

Yeah, mistyped that before realizing that Lonely Place wasn't part of the sale. :( Great stretch of stories there.

"Thor struggles with typical everyday tasks"
Thorst%2Bworld%2Bproblems.%2BYeah%2BI%2Bmade%2Bthat%2Bpun%2Bin%2Bthe_5e8bc2_5227764.gif

That's more money than I can spend :( Any particular highlights? Maybe the first arc of one of them?

Since people are laying down some of the underrated gems in the Batman Comixology sale, thought I'd offer up some self-contained arcs.

Detective Comics #742-750 by Rucka & Martinbrough: the beginning of Rucka's strong run on Detective. It's post-No Man's Land, so Rucka starts with the basics, reestablishing Gotham City, GCPD & Batman taking on organized Crime. These issues also include a great Poison Ivy & Ras Story. I recommend reading up to #750, right before the title gets swallowed up in crossovers. Martinbrough has a strong sense of layout which serves as a nice compliment to the Dave Johnson colors. Also, the comic uses a two tone color scheme that just makes the pages pop.

Detective Comics #777-782 by Brubaker: As Chris Sims says, Hush done right. Somebody dressed in a killer moth costume is murdered as someone tries and assassinates Batman's Rogue's Gallery. This leads Batman to a 7 year mystery involving all his major villains. The only let down is the bland art, but don't let that stop you from reading this slept on classic.

Detective #871-881 by Snyder & Jock: the real beginning of Snyder's run on Batman, though these stories feature Dick Grayson in the suit. Unlike Snyder's current bombastic run, these are smaller and more intimate stories helped enormously by Jock & Francavilla's evicative art.

Okay...break time.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #3

Gonna have to drop this book soon. I feel like nothing is happening and the only things moving it along are the decisions/consequences that Peter Parker had to go through when he was Spider-Man, except this time, it' Miles' turn. I was bored throughout aside from a few cool moments. I was hoping I can read a really good ongoing monthly Spider-Man book (my son absolutely loves Spider-Man!) but both Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man have been big let downs. On the other hand, I have been reading Amazing Spider-Man before the renumbering so I can catch up to read Superior.

I don't normally read or check reviews other than what's posted here on GAF but I was curious how comic-centric sites are grading this book. I find it quite surprising to see some major comic review sites giving this such positive remarks and high scores.

Drop it and don't look back. Bendis fire for the Ultimate line wavered after Ultimatum, and then after Parker died the whole flame just went out entirely. Mile Morales is a terrible, boring character. Scarlet Spider (god rest its soul) is the only good Spider-book theres been in a while since Slott also lost it (right after Spider-Island). Remenders Venom run as well, and some choice sagas from the writer that followed him.

Actually Comics-GAF, are you ready for this shit:
The DISK Wars Avengers anime does most of Marvels characters and properties better than their actual books and western cartoons. Thor is perhaps the only exception.

Drop it and don't look back. Bendis fire for the Ultimate line wavered after Ultimatum, and then after Parker died the whole flame just went out entirely. Mile Morales is a terrible, boring character. Scarlet Spider (god rest its soul) is the only good Spider-book theres been in a while since Slott also lost it (right after Spider-Island). Remenders Venom run as well, and some choice sagas from the writer that followed him.

At least we have New Warriors
for now

Spider-Man 2099 seems promising too. PAD did an awesome job with the dialogue.

Bii

If you are not reading Thor and Loki The Tenth Realms, then you're not a fan of comics....

It was alright. Thor "I MUST FIND MY SISTER AT ANY COST EVEN THOUGH I NEVER KNEW SHE EXISTED UNTIL TWO SECONDS AGO AND NOW I WILL CONFRONT MOTHER AND FIND SISTER BECAUSE REASONS!" is just weird in this issue.

Yeah, I'll probably let my LCS drop it from my pull list the next time I go back in.

Kikarian

Velvet, I don't really need to say much about that, other than that at this point, I know I will love whatever Brubaker puts out. He speaks directly to what I enjoy in spy/thriller/crime stories, and I have literally no doubts about it.
I picked up Velvet too. I'm really enjoying it. Thriller/Crime is one of my favorite genres and this really fulfills it.

All I kept thinking when I was reading it was 'When will this be turned into a TV show' It certainly has the characteristics to be a good one.

I picked up Velvet too. I'm really enjoying it. Thriller/Crime is one of my favorite genres and this really fulfills it.

All I kept thinking when I was reading it was 'When will this be turned into a TV show' It certainly has the characteristics to be a good one.

Yea, I really can't wait to get onto it. I'll probably read that last of the four, given that I am v. confident I'll love it, but yea, can't wait. I imagine Brubaker is thinking that too man haha, he's been trying to get into tv for awhile now. Although, I read a thing where he was saying Velvet originally was a tv pitch, but NBC or whatever network, wanted to make all sorts of changes like making her younger or having a more prominent male lead and so on, so it ended up a comic.

Three issues into Black Science. This book is pretty much firing on all cylinders for me. Even the weakest thing imo, the characterisation, is getting there. Due to the way he decides to start mid adventure then give us how it all began in fragments, most of the cast are kind of faceless, given there's quite a few of them, filing in expected slots oppose to proper full fledged characters BUT as I said, even that, he is working on it, it's just coming a little slow. Really impressed. The inner monologues aren't bugging me at all as well, given I want to hear form all the characters and figure out who's who and makes them tick, they all feel very natural and not too descriptive of stuff we already see on the page.

Random question for comics GAF, apologies in advance if it has come up recently. A few comic websites and podcasts I follow have hinted here and there that Marvel will be taking the spotlight off of their traditional big franchises that they don't own the movie rights to (ie the X-Men and FF) to promote other properties that they do own the rights to. Seems a little out there to me seeing as they still have Bendis writing the X-Men but I could see the business logic behind it.

Is this a when there is smoke there is fire situation or is it far fetched? If so do you think Marvel will be successful in building up the Inhumans over the X-Men for example?

Boogiepop

Random question for comics GAF, apologies in advance if it has come up recently. A few comic websites and podcasts I follow have hinted here and there that Marvel will be taking the spotlight off of their traditional big franchises that they don't own the movie rights to (ie the X-Men and FF) to promote other properties that they do own the rights to. Seems a little out there to me seeing as they still have Bendis writing the X-Men but I could see the business logic behind it.

Is this a when there is smoke there is fire situation or is it far fetched? If so do you think Marvel will be successful in building up the Inhumans over the X-Men for example?
I mean, they're not going to throw their big properties to the side over not owning movie rights, but we DID just see the questionable claim of Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America being the "big three" with that recent round of announcements...

The "big three" comment was specifically about Avengers, which is accurate. All the announcements from last week were part of the AVENGERS.NOW initiative.

That whole thing about pushing other properties to the side because of movies rights is kinda bullshit. They mentioned Fantastic Four, but that book hasn't been selling well at all, so it's not gonna get a huge marketing push from Marvel Comics. And the big upcoming event after Original Sin is Avengers/X-Men: AXIS, so Marvel is obviously not trying to keep the X-Men away from the center stage.

They botched their launch of the Inhumans new debut, so I guess we'll see where that goes in the coming months as Medusa and Inhuman are both part of the AVENGERS.NOW launch.

Thanks for all the Batman recommendations guys! I was a Marvel reader during the 90s era, so it's nice to go back and check out classic DC. Unfortunately, comixology is currently down, but I'll get them when it's back up.

And for everyone who recommended Batgirl: Yaar One, THANK YOU. This is the best Batgirl I have ever read and anyone and everyone should be reading this. Heck, this should be given out to little girls everywhere to get them into our little hobby.

Wowowow, finished Black Science volume 1. Well ,I guess that Remender book I've been waiting for all this time, the one I knew I would love, finally came along. I was getting goosebumps during that last issue, pretty powerful ending. Really really enjoyed that, will be waiting on the next volume with baited breath. He really took no prisoners and refused to allow himself to settle into a specific predictable pattern with that volume, great stuff.

Also "You managed to fuck up fucking up" haha.

MG310

New Marvel Select Hulk is pretty cool. (As is the Nova..just wanted to throw in a normal sized 6 inch figure for scale). I'm on board pretty much anytime Diamond wants to put out a huge figure - most of the Hulks, Abomination,Juggernaut and Rhino have been great.

DSCN3753.jpg

Kikarian

Yea, I really can't wait to get onto it. I'll probably read that last of the four, given that I am v. confident I'll love it, but yea, can't wait. I imagine Brubaker is thinking that too man haha, he's been trying to get into tv for awhile now. Although, I read a thing where he was saying Velvet originally was a tv pitch, but NBC or whatever network, wanted to make all sorts of changes like making her younger or having a more prominent male lead and so on, so it ended up a comic.
I never knew that haha, shame that they wanted to do all them changes though, goddamn networks! The premise would be great to adapt as a show.

Zombine

Banned

Velvet is the best Image book I have read in a long time.

Vibranium

Banned
Velvet is the best Image book I have read in a long time.

Absolutely, and it deserves a TV show. If Kot can get one, Brubaker absolutely needs one, considering an adapted version of his work already hit the big screen.

Ok, this is a good thing. Now we just need Amazon to lure Dark Horse away from their stupid reader and onto Comixology, where they'll get more purchases.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Agreed my man! I think you put what I was trying to say about the Ugandan crisis having no easy (or even any) solution better too. Such a great book though, that it gets us talking about this stuff. I will always be terrified of ants from reading Unknown Soldier too haha.

Oh, geez. Yeah. That ant scene, now that was horror. Haha

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Damn, it's a shame you're so wrong.

Yost fandom/Nintendo trollin has broken his mind, it seems

Character so memorable theyve already had to stoop to Peter Parker clone(s?!) and Norman Osborn again. Oh and shoving him into Bendis character assassination of the original X-Men at some point somehow. Turn off the lights on one page of scintillating teen backchat action and you quite simply won't be able to tell which speechbubble belongs to who!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom