• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

Hahaha. Dammit Bii!.. makin me look bad:(
Then again I feel good I picked the same great panels as a good photographer like yourself did.

And my great review .." The Riddler and Batman play cat and mouse " lol

Edit: P.S.
I'm in bed taking pictures , give me a break. Haha

I was extremely surprised to see that you picked the same panels that I did. I was thinking "hey, those pages/panels are what I would pick..."

Was hoping Rocket Girl would be part of the sale, wanted to give it another shot. No rush to though.

Rob Liefeld does free sketches at Comic Con. I think i'm gonna have him draw Harley.

Which booth is he going to be at? Maybe I'll have him do a self portrait of himself or something.

Which booth is he going to be at? Maybe I'll have him do a self portrait of himself or something.

he has a table in Artists Alley, AA-01 according to the website. The designated free sketch times are different every day. Apparently he does them every year. All jokes aside, that's pretty dang cool

Owzers

Batman Unwrapped Court of Owls' description on Amazon says 1-7, it was solicited as 1-11 from DC, the whole saga, but now i'm skeptical. Has there been an update about this i missed?

7UFJ3sU.png

2clg1ph.png

cSWBgjf.png

iWwsGc0.png

T69GQT9.png

READ ZERO

Just read 30-32 of Zero Year to finish the reread. I'm not gonna go in-depth with these because I want to wait for the finale before I formulate any conclusions. In simple descriptions, this arc has dealt with Bruce's PTSD, most prominent in his teenage years. You kind of see Bruce was a lone wolf. The rest of the arc is Batman learning to be Batman. Riddler is testing his wits. He is trained physically, this story is training his brain. Get smart or die.

Messi

Here's a tip for a nice cute story in this current sale. Legends of the Dark Knight #49 & #50 is a story about classic Harley making a deal with Batman to give up info on the Joker for the chance to be his psychiatrist. It leads to funny dialog between Harley and Bats. It is very Paul Diniesque.

Here's the art

3224873-legends+of+the+dark+knight+%2350+013.jpg

If you like harley then get on it. It's only 2 bucks.

Ah yeah that's a fun two issue story. Like I said though aren't those always $1 per issue? Either way though it's good fun. Classic look too.

Messi

Ah yeah that's a fun two issue story. Like I said though aren't those always $1 per issue? Either way though it's good fun. Classic look too.

They are actually. Sale just reminded me of it. I really like it. It's up there with my favorite harley stories.

READ ZERO

I second the Zero praise. I picked up the first TPB and was blown away.

Yea, I read it a few weeks ago, really really loved it. Now I'm active in here again I think I'll do a reread and share my thoughts on that first volume. It's pretty much the book I wanted Casanova to me when I was reading that. Crazy out there trippy scifi spy stuff but Kot just filters it the way I want to enjoy it.

Bii

Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #3

Gonna have to drop this book soon. I feel like nothing is happening and the only things moving it along are the decisions/consequences that Peter Parker had to go through when he was Spider-Man, except this time, it' Miles' turn. I was bored throughout aside from a few cool moments. I was hoping I can read a really good ongoing monthly Spider-Man book (my son absolutely loves Spider-Man!) but both Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man have been big let downs. On the other hand, I have been reading Amazing Spider-Man before the renumbering so I can catch up to read Superior.

I don't normally read or check reviews other than what's posted here on GAF but I was curious how comic-centric sites are grading this book. I find it quite surprising to see some major comic review sites giving this such positive remarks and high scores.

Oh btw, Kipp, took me a week haha, but I got to sit down and read all your thoughts on Unknown Soldier.I totally agree with quite a few points of your points about the strengths of the book and had to chime in. This might just seem like some scattershot thoughts, I basically made a few bullpoints as I read through your stuff that I wanted to agree/expand upon haha, so bear with it:

- Fuck yes, this book was well researched. Not only Dysart's own research but his choice of collaborator's and so on, this book is incredibly accurate and that's the terrifying thing. A lot of fiction in comics uuuusually tends to be real issues and themes explored through totally ficticious surroundings and events. In, 90% of what you're seeing is reality. And it's horrible, and it's cruel, and you desperately want to see more because there's that horrible gnawing feeling in your stomach that sadly most of what your seeing is legit. And despite him being a total psychopath, you want Unknown Soldier to succeed as a result, because you want some sort of justice for these people.

- And again that basis in reality, is what allows the book not to settle into just that one punisher type of story, there's areas of the story where the unknown soldier can melt away entirely. He's your in, but the book doesn't need him because for once there's something much more compelling here than that core mystery, despite the fact it ends up being a really great facet of the tale.

Finally, I love how much the book is about identity. Moses' identity, the people around him, almost you the readers; while you read the book, YOU are the unknown soldier, imagining a world where you could just do something about the horrible things you're reading about and know are very very accurate to real life. But when you put the book back down, you realise you really can't. That most people even if they wanted to do something about those issues, basically can't. And that is horrible. I wrote a few days ago that I almost don't believe in horror comics, because the medium just doesn't really suit horror, creepiness sure, but not really horror. I recant, because this book is horror. To know the tragedy of Moses, of his wife, of those children, and the real life reality that people are living and dying like that every day and we aren't superheroes and we can't just run out the door and do something about it. It's unsettling and it's what makes this book sit in your gut and stay with you. Dysart manages to play it off nicely at the end though and give you some sort of smile to go out on, but even then, right on that last page....well, US made a difference, but was it the right one? Even that last panel is unsettling.

Unknown Soldier can't be the book for everyone, it doesn't scratch that itch when you just want to pick up a comic after a long day and see some punches thrown, but in some ways the book is the quintessential superhero book. Guy puts on mask, fights for justice and here's what happens, warts and all. It can't be the book for everyone, but everyone owes it to themselves to read it. A true eye opening, exciting, educational mind blowing piece of fiction if there ever was one in comics.

Tizoc

Here's a tip for a nice cute story in this current sale. Legends of the Dark Knight #49 & #50 is a story about classic Harley making a deal with Batman to give up info on the Joker for the chance to be his psychiatrist. It leads to funny dialog between Harley and Bats. It is very Paul Diniesque.

Here's the art

3224873-legends+of+the+dark+knight+%2350+013.jpg

This has the benefit of having the actually good Harley Quinn outfit, will def. check the issues out, thanks.

In turn allow me to recommend Transformers #22 and #23, the Chaos Theory story.
It features Optimus and Megatron remeniscing about pre-war Cybertron and of their first/earliest meeting. It shows how Megatron began his descent into creating the Decepticon faction. What makes it awesome is that it features decorated officer Orion Pax (Optimus) as a total badass and eventually going on to call out the ruling Senate on Cybertron on how terribly they let their planet go down and of their treatment of the citizens.
As per James Roberts, it has spectacular dialog
"It hurt. Bonding with [the Matrix], interfacing with it — whatever the acceptable term is these days — it hurt like hell. I've always interpreted the pain as a kind of warning — like the Matrix was saying 'are you sure you want the responsibility? Are you sure?'"

kd-z

READ ZERO
Yes, do read Zero. Obligatory image:
...I think something got in my eye.
Doesn't the second trade come out next month? Best month ever.

Sounds and looks cute. Will check it out!

Anybody else got any other recommendations? Preferably some very short arcs or one-and-done stories.

Great Unknown Soldier talk
You and Kipp are getting me really hyped to read this!

Yes, do read Zero. Obligatory image:

...I think something got in my eye.
Doesn't the second trade come out next month? Best month ever.

You and Kipp are getting me really hyped to read this!

Yea, I think it's September, that's what Amazon uk is saying anyway. Super excited to see where the series goes next, plus there's a vanesa del rey issue. Bluh.

And get on it man. Did I mention the actual paper the trades are printed with is beautiful?

Zombine

Banned
Having just bought all of Zero Year last night, I almost shit my pants after seeing that Batman sale. Good thing that Comixology did the right thing and kept Zero Year full price.

Oh wow Comixology's batman sale. Everyone read Rucka's detective comics run. Amazing stuff.

I started reading comics and batman starting with nightfall. Damn you DC and comixology I might have to complete my nostalgia collection starting around there so I never have to fish out my single floppies again.

We got
Dixons 90s run
Rucka killing it with Tec
Brubaker's solid Batman run
Morrisons run
Azz's pretty cool arc
Grants solid work

Ahhh so much nostalgia overload. If I do that and after their mega night wing sale then all that leaves is DC to have mega sales for Robin, birds of prey, young Justice and waid/johns flash runs

The Spread is Justin Jordan's answer to Trees. I didn't enjoy it.

Spiderman 2099 was pretty good. Though half the fun is the 2099 era world and looks like we won't get that....

Zombine

Banned
Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #3

Gonna have to drop this book soon. I feel like nothing is happening and the only things moving it along are the decisions/consequences that Peter Parker had to go through when he was Spider-Man, except this time, it' Miles' turn. I was bored throughout aside from a few cool moments. I was hoping I can read a really good ongoing monthly Spider-Man book (my son absolutely loves Spider-Man!) but both Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man have been big let downs. On the other hand, I have been reading Amazing Spider-Man before the renumbering so I can catch up to read Superior.

I don't normally read or check reviews other than what's posted here on GAF but I was curious how comic-centric sites are grading this book. I find it quite surprising to see some major comic review sites giving this such positive remarks and high scores.

One of those sites CBR? Hands down one of the worst review sites I've ever read.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh btw, Kipp, took me a week haha, but I got to sit down and read all your thoughts on Unknown Soldier.I totally agree with quite a few points of your points about the strengths of the book and had to chime in. This might just seem like some scattershot thoughts, I basically made a few bullpoints as I read through your stuff that I wanted to agree/expand upon haha, so bear with it:

Thanks for taking the time to go through those posts and respond! It was great reading your thoughts.
I just want to say straightaway that after finishing the first arc, all of my skepticism about the book maybe being the Punisher with a different coat of paint (basically the stuff I said in the first post) was gone. Just wanted to clear the air on that, because, like you said, it becomes so much more than a Punisher-style story where really the only similarity between the two is the pursuit of justice through violent means.

And in response to how the book doesn't need US and how he can melt away entirely at spots, I totally agree. Everything else happening in the book was so fascinating that I remember a point in the book where I had been reading it and absolutely glued to the pages and I realized US hadn't even made an appearance for a couple of issues (if I remember correctly).

In response to the "horror" aspects of the book, I think the main horror is that, as the book shows, there really is no good way to deal with the tragic situation in Uganda (and now the surrounding countries). Peace might be the moral high-ground, but it doesn't necessarily do much to stop a man who thinks he is on a mission from god. On the other hand, as shown clearly in the book, violence can at least give short-term results, but can be just as horrific as what it is trying to stop and may not even really help in the long-term (and in the cases of the government's army attacking the LRA, it actually makes things worse and causes the LRA to be more violent towards citizens). There really doesn't seem to be an answer to the problem, and I think the book does a great job at showing that.

I really liked your comment about it being in some ways "the quintessential superhero book." That's a great way of looking at it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh wow Comixology's batman sale. Everyone read Rucka's detective comics run. Amazing stuff.

I started reading comics and batman starting with nightfall. Damn you DC and comixology I might have to complete my nostalgia collection starting around there so I never have to fish out my single floppies again.

We got
Dixons 90s run
Rucka killing it with Tec
Brubaker's solid Batman run
Morrisons run
Azz's pretty cool arc
Grants solid work

Ahhh so much nostalgia overload. If I do that and after their mega night wing sale then all that leaves is DC to have mega sales for Robin, birds of prey, young Justice and waid/johns flash runs

Ha, I literally dug out all those issues last week for this Batman re-read I'm doing. All excellent runs.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's more money than I can spend :( Any particular highlights? Maybe the first arc of one of them?

I think it depends on how deep you want to go, but I will say that there is a really strong throughline with all of Rucka's Batman work. If you want a really good and very long read, start with Tec and then go through Gotham Central, 52, Crime Bible, Final Crisis Revelations and Batwoman and you get a really strong story.

Starting out, you can't go much wrong with the first bunch of issues of his Tec run, it's a very unique era and the stories were pretty strong. You can totally start with Batwoman but just know the context for all the werewolves is found much earlier in the run.

Boogiepop

So, partially inspired by the recent Superman vs Goku thread, a few questions that popped into my head that I may or may not have asked before:

What's the deal with the Iron Fist dragon being an effective anti-Phoenix weapon? I mean, the thing has been bested a ton of times by Iron Fist candidates, who are completely normal humans with training, who then are still pretty low level from what I've seen after gaining its power. And yet it can take on something as crazy powerful as the Phoenix and put up an actual fight?

Also, from the Uncanny Xforce run: At one point Psylocke and Captain Britain's brother Jamie shows up as a sane person and fights alongside them, and I just recall him doing like generic blasts and stuff. Wasn't he supposed to be one of those crazy Franklin level reality warpers, only restricted by his insanity?

Oh, and thinking on that issue, it's kind of screwy:
I mean, Psylocke kills Jamie because his future self becomes the goat guy they can't stop. So she kills him and the future version disappears. But shouldn't the future have changed the second she gained the knowledge of it, since that's what made the difference? Although that may be a more normal Marvel issue. BUT, especially in X-men, hasn't it been shown over and over that changing the future turns it into an alternate timeline and people from it still stay, ala Rachel Grey and the recent guys from Battle of the Atom? So why would the goat guy disappear in the first place?

Agreed my man! I think you put what I was trying to say about the Ugandan crisis having no easy (or even any) solution better too. Such a great book though, that it gets us talking about this stuff. I will always be terrified of ants from reading Unknown Soldier too haha.

Some new books today guys, trying some new titles, one or two are a gamble. Very purple for some reason:

Already got a jump start on Black Science, start down and read the first issue this afternoon. Remender is still so heavy handed with inner narration form his characters but none of it bothered me here at least, and I really like the premise (which is about all the first issue covers I guess). Scalero's designs are freaking ridiculous too. Looking forward to diving into that one but with a little trepidation too, since Remender hasn't bowled me over in the past. Ordered Deadly Class too but that isn't out for a week.

Umbral, I'm very excited about. Wasteland was one of the very first comics I got into right when I got back into comics as a teenager, #1 launched right as I came back to them and for a good few years I would have recommended it to anyone. Imo it lost ALOT after #25 and Mitten leaving, and I jumped off awhile ago now. This feels like redemption though, another shot at a big mythology driven book but at a bigger publisher with some more exposure to the bigger sites this time round, I think they can deliver.

Velvet, I don't really need to say much about that, other than that at this point, I know I will love whatever Brubaker puts out. He speaks directly to what I enjoy in spy/thriller/crime stories, and I have literally no doubts about it.

And Pretty Deadly, I don't know much about other than the reviews seemed to swing wildly, and I haven't read Deconnick before, so I guess I'll find out about that one.

Vyer

Aside from Knightfall/NML and the runs gketter mentioned, some other cool stuff in that Batman sale, particularly if you're looking for some early Tim Drake and Robin:

Batman #426-429, "A Death in the Family" Starlin/Aparo
Joker and Jason Todd...you know.

Batman #436-439, "Year 3" Wolfman/Broderick
Wolfman's introduction of Tim Drake

Detective Comics #618-621, "Rite of Passage" Grant/Breyfogle
not-yet-Robin Tim's parents get kidnapped.

Year One (Batman 404-407), Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns, Hush are all in there too.

Darkn't forget Dark Knight Returns and (!!!) Gotham By Gaslight.

Also, those new(er) Black & Whites are a steal at a buck.

EDIT: Also considering just getting every 'Tec issue with a Dave Johnson cover just because.

Messi

I see there is a two issue series called Batman and Catwoman, is that worth picking up? I really liked the Batman and Catwoman issue in new 52 Batman and Robin.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Got the Rocket Raccoon #1 variant from Lootcrate, but they slapped the Lootcrate logo on it so it's worthless :(

At least Nerdblock's spidey variant didn't have that.

Still a great crate

10514034_676829105734722_1420571732_n.jpg

Messi

Got the Rocket Raccoon #1 variant from Lootcrate, but they slapped the Lootcrate logo on it so it's worthless :(

At least Nerdblock's spidey variant didn't have that.

Still a great crate

10514034_676829105734722_1420571732_n.jpg

All pretty sweet stuff.

How is Gail Simones "The Movement" and Judd Winnick's 'Green Arrow/Black Canary' the art intrigues me.

Vyer

Darkn't forget Dark Knight Returns and (!!!) Gotham By Gaslight.

Also, those new(er) Black & Whites are a steal at a buck.

EDIT: Also considering just getting every 'Tec issue with a Dave Johnson cover just because.

Yeah, Gotham by Gaslight addition for .99 is awesome.

Some other things of interest:

Detective Comics #705-707, Dixon/Nolan
Riddler and Cluemaster 'team up'. Dixon was great at these kinds of stories. (and there's a lot of them)

Legends of the Dark Knight #16-20, O'Neil/Braun
Denny O'Neil's story of an 'enhanced' Batman. First appearance of drug known as Venom.

Legends of the Dark Knight #6-10
Grant Morrison and Klaus Janson's "Gothic"

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
BUT, especially in X-men, hasn't it been shown over and over that changing the future turns it into an alternate timeline and people from it still stay, ala Rachel Grey and the recent guys from Battle of the Atom?

They're not doing that anymore. As a result the rules and potential outcomes are a bit all over the place.

5 parter I believe.

Gotcha. Looks like there is a paperback trade coming for it.

And here's what's included in the Original Sin Companion HC:

Collecting Avengers #29-#34, Deadpool #29-#34, Mighty Avengers #10-#12, All-New Invaders #6-#7, Nova #18- #20, Original Sin #3.1-#3.4, Original Sin #5.1-#5.5, Fantastic Four #6-#8, Daredevil #6-#7, Amazing Spider-Man #4-#6, Uncanny X-Men #23- #25, Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #18-#20 and Original Sin: Secret Avengers Infinite Comic #1-#2.

Not sure if I'll grab it as Deadpool, Invaders, Nova and FF are the only books from the tie-ins that I'm currently not collecting.

Are the 3.1-3.4 and 5.1-5.5 issues crucial? This is gonna be an annoying event to collect...

Also: this month's order was a doozy catching up on some stuff. Grabbed Seconds from Amazon as it was cheaper there.

I wanted the Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus vol 1 but will wait until there's another slow month. Still getting through Remender's X-Force.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Aside from Knightfall/NML and the runs gketter mentioned, some other cool stuff in that Batman sale, particularly if you're looking for some early Tim Drake and Robin:

Batman #426-429, "A Death in the Family" Starlin/Aparo
Joker and Jason Todd...you know.

Batman #436-439, "Year 3" Wolfman/Broderick
Wolfman's introduction of Tim Drake

Detective Comics #618-621, "Rite of Passage" Grant/Breyfogle
not-yet-Robin Tim's parents get kidnapped.

Year One (Batman 404-407), Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns, Hush are all in there too.

Year 3 is the Dick Grayson origin, A Lonely Place of Dying is the Tim intro. And yeah, I love Rite of Passage and the Scarecrow story right after. Great era of comics, Tim's gradual introduction was really well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom