• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

More Kotobukiya teasers.....

10422182_911806075502456_8698493840945059305_n.jpg

Batwoman bishoujo, if you didn't know.

Welp. Time to earn some money for that, I think.

This Batman sale on Comixology.... my wallet screams

Seriously. I'm trying not to buy anything but I am weak.

Between this, the Image sale, and now the Daredevil Yellow sale, it's like they are gunning for me. Why do these all have to come up at once?

AND Freeza is posting nice statues...

Wowowow, finished Black Science volume 1. Well ,I guess that Remender book I've been waiting for all this time, the one I knew I would love, finally came along.

Image in general is killing it right now. Three years ago, I was reading nothing from them. Now, my entire comics budget is going straight into their coffers. I've never been so confident in a publisher's ability to consistently put out a quality product.

I'm reading (my top three in bold):

Black Science
Chew
Deadly Class
East of West
Fatale
Invincible
Lazarus
The Manhattan Projects
Rat Queens
Saga
Sex Criminals
Spread
Trees
The Wicked + The Divine
Velvet
Zero

I'll soon be adding Low and Supreme Rose into the mix.

I'm surprised how tempting cheap digital comics are, even for older stuff I have sitting in long boxes. The Batman sale is really coming close to having me drop some money on it.

Image in general is killing it right now. Three years ago, I was reading nothing from them. Now, my entire comics budget is going straight into their coffers. I've never been so confident in a publisher's ability to consistently put out a quality product.

I'm reading (my top three in bold):

Black Science
Chew
Deadly Class
East of West
Fatale
Invincible
Lazarus
The Manhattan Projects
Rat Queens
Saga
Sex Criminals
Spread
Trees
The Wicked + The Divine
Velvet
Zero

I'll soon be adding Low and Supreme Rose into the mix.

I bought the Zero GN on sale on Comixology a while back it was pretty great. Image does have some great titles Zero, Deadly Class, Black Science, Saga. How is East of West Nowhere Men and Rat Queens ? I see those for sale and I'm having trouble picking which one I want.

I'm surprised how tempting cheap digital comics are, even for older stuff I have sitting in long boxes. The Batman sale is really coming close to having me drop some money on it.

Last time I went looking for a run to reread, spending like a whole evening shifting boxes around, that when I vowed. Never again.

What a file format are those Humble Bundle Comics? .cbrs? .pdfs? Reedemable Codes for Comixology?

The Walking Dead Bundle is cbz (basically the same thing as cbr, if your reader reads one it reads the other), PDF and ePub. The other three bundles had all of those, except Doctor Who which didn't have cbr/cbz.

I bought the Zero GN on sale on Comixology a while back it was pretty great. Image does have some great titles Zero, Deadly Class, Black Science, Saga. How is East of West Nowhere Men and Rat Queens ? I see those for sale and I'm having trouble picking which one I want.

East of West is way out there. I like it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Rat Queens is amazing. I consider it a must-read.

MG310

Weird, I didn't think NECA would have the rights to do Keaton Batman in anything other than 18 inches - especially since Mattel is producing really awful 3 3/4 inch versions of the Burton Batman stuff right now.

Maybe the NES game colors get around that?

10533253_760865000642554_2803394455976384460_n.jpg

kd-z

I think it depends on how deep you want to go, but I will say that there is a really strong throughline with all of Rucka's Batman work. If you want a really good and very long read, start with Tec and then go through Gotham Central, 52, Crime Bible, Final Crisis Revelations and Batwoman and you get a really strong story.

Starting out, you can't go much wrong with the first bunch of issues of his Tec run, it's a very unique era and the stories were pretty strong. You can totally start with Batwoman but just know the context for all the werewolves is found much earlier in the run.
Oookaaay. I'm going to put this off for now. It's on my list, but not a priority.

Darkn't forget Dark Knight Returns and (!!!) Gotham By Gaslight.
Gotham by gaslight has Mignola on art, so it's a must. How much do you love DKR, Birdie? I read it a year ago and wasn't greatly compelled by it, though probably the polish translation had a lot to do with it.

Thanks to everyone for the Batcommendations. Once I've made up my mind I'll show you what I bought ;)

Put this teaser in your pipe and smoke it.
Can't wait for this comic to become a trade. Six Gun Gorilla was a beautiful tpb and that was from BOOM!

Also, please read Six Gun Gorilla.

Mostly off topic, but sort of not since if I got the job I could buy way more comics, but I just got an email saying I have a phone interview for Rockstar's San Diego studio. So excited/anxious.
Does this mean we'll possibly see your work in an AAA title?

Gotham by gaslight has Mignola on art, so it's a must. How much do you love DKR, Birdie? I read it a year ago and wasn't greatly compelled by it, though probably the polish translation had a lot to do with it.

It's rightfully a timeless classic. Strikes Back is less so (but still a v. interesting read). It's iconic in every way, and along with Watchmen, laid the groundwork for every major work in comics that came after it.

There aren't many MUST READ comics, but that's definitely one of them.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Does this mean we'll possibly see your work in an AAA title?

Most definitely. I'm applying for lead animator (Rockstar decided the whole 3D graphics thing was just a fad and are gonna make games using drawn animations just like the old cartoons that everyone loved did). Basically I sent them the MSPaint avatars I made and they all but told me "You're hired." I'm pretty sure the interview is just a formality.

But in seriousness, the title I applied for is Dialogue Development Assistant, so I think basically I'd just make the subtitles, edit stuff, and generally assist people. Nothing too fancy, but still, it's a full-time job and I'd be ecstatic to get it.

Can't wait for this comic to become a trade. Six Gun Gorilla was a beautiful tpb and that was from BOOM!

Also, please read Six Gun Gorilla.

I've got it sitting on my shelf. I need to get to it soon. Probably after I finish Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.

Anyone have a hellboy/bprd trade reading order?

Click to enlarge...

OH jesus. Watching Bates Motel with my girlfriend, but checked my phone and saw that chart had been linked regarding hellboy reading order, literally ran to the PC to enlarge it and see the you guys were recommending him hahah it's not that bad. Visually, it still looks brutally intimidating. Plasma, please, do yourself a faovur and trust me haha: It's not that important. Read Hellboy up to volume 5, then do what you feel like. Reading every hellboy book after that then BPRD. Do it the other way round. Or mix and match, but please don't try to drive yourself crazy over it, it's not that important. There are huge benefits to read all of the different books, but they are not literal traditional benefits like crossovers and references you need to be reading in publishing order to avoid spoilers, nothing like that. As Kipp mentioned, I have my own thoughts but hideously even that paragraph doesn't read that simply to me.

Just read em, enjoy, if you're ever uncertain come in here and ask, we will always be happy to help :) literally there is only one book I would recommend reading at a specific time, and you are a good way off from it (It's lobster johnson volume 1 btw and it's around BPRD volume 5-6 you should read it). And Abe volume 3 should be saved until you reach the relevant bit in BPRD Hell ON earth but otherwise, you can really just pick one of the major series and just read right through.

(Again, this doesnt seem like a simple explanation haha, I need to start boiling this down to a sentence or two.)

Definitely man. They are putting out such good quality reading wise, at such a good price, and such good quality printing wise, they are really high up there these days.

Kipp

OH jesus. Watching Bates Motel with my girlfriend, but checked my phone and saw that chart had been linked regarding hellboy reading order, literally ran to the PC to enlarge it and see the you guys were recommending him hahah it's not that bad. Visually, it still looks brutally intimidating. Plasma, please, do yourself a faovur and trust me haha: It's not that important. Read Hellboy up to volume 5, then do what you feel like. Reading every hellboy book after that then BPRD. Do it the other way round. Or mix and match, but please don't try to drive yourself crazy over it, it's not that important. There are huge benefits to read all of the different books, but they are not literal traditional benefits like crossovers and references you need to be reading in publishing order to avoid spoilers, nothing like that. As Kipp mentioned, I have my own thoughts but hideously even that paragraph doesn't read that simply to me.

Just read em, enjoy, if you're ever uncertain come in here and ask, we will always be happy to help :) literally there is only one book I would recommend reading at a specific time, and you are a good way off from it (It's lobster johnson volume 1 btw and it's around BPRD volume 5-6 you should read it). And Abe volume 3 should be saved until you reach the relevant bit in BPRD Hell ON earth but otherwise, you can really just pick one of the major series and just read right through.

(Again, this doesnt seem like a simple explanation haha, I need to start boiling this down to a sentence or two.)

Second Edit: Deleted my attempted one-sentence summary of the reading order. See posts below.

(Also, that chart Kikarian posted scared me too.)

Edit: Are you planning on picking this up? http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/IDW/MIKE-MIGNOLA-HELLBOY-ARTIST-ED/MAR140463
You know you want it.

Donie summarized it perfectly with this one sentence: "Read Hellboy up to volume 5, then read what you feel like."

Then he went on to obfuscate the issue. :)

Kipp

Donie summarized it perfectly with this one sentence: "Read Hellboy up to volume 5, then read what you feel like."

I struggle with decisions. I need Donie to make all my decisions for me.

But yeah, good point. That is definitely the simplest way to go about telling people a reading order.

fauxtrot

Banned

Yup. This is it. Don't be afraid to mix it up, either! After Conqueror Worm, start BPRD, but feel free to go back to Hellboy whenever, and read an offshoots here and there when you feel like you need a break from both. I feel like the knowledge that you can do that without consequence eases up some of that overwhelming feeling when tackling a long running series.

Perez02.jpg

I just saw this Comics Alliance article about a Ramon Perez helmed Mister Miracle and Big Barda series that never saw the light of day thanks to the new 52. I want to live in a world where this was released.

They're putting Bombshells on EVERYTHING.

Maybe I'll buy a few of these... it'll almost be like owning one of the statues, right? Right? :(

I struggle with decisions. I need Donie to make all my decisions for me.

But yeah, good point. That is definitely the simplest way to go about telling people a reading order.

I insist on reading book series in their internal chronological order, so I know what you mean. It takes some research but usually pays off in the end.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Walking Dead Bundle is cbz (basically the same thing as cbr, if your reader reads one it reads the other), PDF and ePub. The other three bundles had all of those, except Doctor Who which didn't have cbr/cbz.

OK, thanks. While I have a CBR Reader on my iPad, I would rather have a steam like option with a comixology code...

Yes!

Thanks!!!!

He has eaten the pancake. He will never come back to us now.

If you must, I guess that one isn't a terrible chart. But no chart is needed haha.

Yea Kipp, that is exactly how I would do it myself (the 6-7 don't really matter at all) but Tragicomedy really managed to nail it for me haha, he can be my gaf post editor from now on. It can be a real collaborative process and everything ;)

Kikarian

I've started Chew as I see a lot of people are recommending it. And my god how did I hold off this for so long. The idea behind it is great!

It's going to be great to see how John Layman utilizes Tony' eating 'problem'.

fauxtrot

Banned
OK, so I'm looking to jump into the deep end w/ the current Batman sale... should I start w/ Grant Morrison's run? Earlier? Someone be my guide! I'm familiar w/ Batwoman and Batgirl, just not the (goddamn) man himself.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So I subscribed to Thrillbent (3.99 usd per month), which grants you a PDF of vol.1's Empire by Mark Waid and Barry Kitson, and boy, this volume sure went to places.

The premise is pretty much what would happen if a Doctor Doom analog called Golgoth has nearly conquered human civilization as we know it. Yeah, it begins just like that. This guy has eliminated already all superheroes, and almost all countries have surrendered to his invincible army... So, what happens next in the story? Golgoth has to deal with inner power struggles among his acolytes and a few nations have yet to go down, leading to a great turn of events around him, and those who either support his endeavor or are against it.

Without spoiling anything in particular, I found the book really good. I think the turnaround of events were solid (especially a few events towards the final issues). I like the fact that Waid doesn't try to make the reader empathize with Golgoth at any point. It reminded me in a way of Walter White's character development, without the cancer aspect. I definitely recommend this (But don't reading anything out of the vol.2, since it's a direct sequel of the events in volume 1 and might spoil you some major stuff)

OK, so I'm looking to jump into the deep end w/ the current Batman sale... should I start w/ Grant Morrison's run? Earlier? Someone be my guide! I'm familiar w/ Batwoman and Batgirl, just not the (goddamn) man himself.

Start with the New 52 Batman run with Snyder and Capullo starting with issue #1. Pretty much self contained and has been awesome from the beginning pretty much.

Messi

In the first Zero Year arc, is Red Hood supposed to be the Joker?

We were discussing this yesterday as I was confused
Yeah, it's Joker.

More Kotobukiya teasers.....

Batwoman bishoujo, if you didn't know.

Oh I'd love to see the finished product. Can you keep me up to date on this and the she hulk ones?

I've started Chew as I see a lot of people are recommending it. And my god how did I hold off this for so long. The idea behind it is great!

It's going to be great to see how John Layman utilizes Tony' eating 'problem'.

All of it is really good and such a good read.

Zombine

Banned
Mostly off topic, but sort of not since if I got the job I could buy way more comics, but I just got an email saying I have a phone interview for Rockstar's San Diego studio. So excited/anxious.

And back on topic, A Dame to Kill For continues to be really great Frank Miller comics.

Donie gave a simple yet effective reading order some pages back.

Does this mean you can buy a house and comics now?

And can I just say that more figures and statues are welcome here? I basically only
Go to CBR now for Toying Around.

Savitar

So I subscribed to Thrillbent (3.99 usd per month), which grants you a PDF of vol.1's Empire by Mark Waid and Barry Kitson, and boy, this volume sure went to places.

The premise is pretty much what would happen if a Doctor Doom analog called Golgoth has nearly conquered human civilization as we know it. Yeah, it begins just like that. This guy has eliminated already all superheroes, and almost all countries have surrendered to his invincible army... So, what happens next in the story? Golgoth has to deal with inner power struggles among his acolytes and a few nations have yet to go down, leading to a great turn of events around him, and those who either support his endeavor or are against it.

Without spoiling anything in particular, I found the book really good. I think the turnaround of events were solid (especially a few events towards the final issues). I like the fact that Waid doesn't try to make the reader empathize with Golgoth at any point. It reminded me in a way of Walter White's character development, without the cancer aspect. I definitely recommend this (But don't reading anything out of the vol.2, since it's a direct sequel of the events in volume 1 and might spoil you some major stuff)

Empire is outstanding. A damn solid read, one of the best out there. The characters are great, the story is great, the art is great. All in all it's great.

I really want a proper sequel.

Pretty sure I heard they were doing a web based one.

Owzers

I liked the last two issues of Lazarus, debating about asking DCBS to put me back on the title with issue #10 onwards. I still have problems with the bleakness of the world, but the plot developments in the struggle have kept things going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom