• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry you had to experience those suicide squad issues. They are aggressively shit and past the line of violence for me. It's well worn talk in here.

The Suicide squad issues were not often that great but i still kept reading. i bought the first issue of SS 2.0, but yet to read it. is it any good or not?

but the SS tie ins were over the top with what they were doing to Harley.

Messi

The Suicide squad issues were not often that great but i still kept reading. i bought the first issue of SS 2.0, but yet to read it. is it any good or not?

but the SS tie ins were over the top with what they were doing to Harley.

Suicide Squad is a mid level quality, sometimes good sometimes bad but I really hated what they did to Harley in those two issues. It was stupidly violent just for the sake of it.

The new Suicide Squad is just more of the same. Then again it's only been one issue.

The new Suicide Squad is just more of the same. Then again it's only been one issue.

I didn't think it was too bad. I might consider sticking with it for a bit, but if that Gail Simone Secret Six rumor is true, then there's no point. Secret Six trumps everything.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Some quick thoughts on what I've read over the last week...

Hellboy, Library Edition Volume 3 - This was awesome, absolutely the best I've read so far. I think Hellboy the character's mythology is more fully crystalizing for me at this point too. I do sometimes feel like I need or should be constantly reminding of the full context to various references to previous plot points, but the overall story moves along rather smoothly.

Velvet, Vol 1 - So good, I love it. Brubaker doing espionage feels great. There's a nice, sensible mystery going on and good ol' basic spy work, with some flashes of action. It's appropriately grounded, which is nice. Can't wait for more of this.

Nightwing, Vol 4 - Decent Batman-style action, nothing too special but nothing egregiously bad. Although, the Prankster's bodycount was absurdly high, and it's disturbing that that wasn't really felt. The plot got a little grimdark, even if the storytelling did not.

Talon, Vol 2 - Uh, what the hell was this? I remember mostly liking the first volume well enough as a secondary Bat-family book, but this was awful. The art is pretty bad, from panel to panel the action is often unintelligible. The writing isn't much better either, with plot points appearing and disappearing at random. The big giant Talon monster just gets dumber and dumber, and the whole story turns into an extreme mess of sci-fi gobbledegook. The kind of thing that makes the phrase comic book a pejorative.

American Vampire, Vol 6 - This was a nice change of pace, just a series of shorts in this world. There was a notably good balance between character and action, and it was nice to see some other voices have fun with these scenarios.

MG310

Jeez, Batman's getting new toys from all sorts of places.

Now Mezco is doing high-end 6 inch DKR versions w/ cloth uniforms.

Mezco-6-inch-Dark-Knight-Returns-Batman-4.jpg

Mezco-6-inch-Dark-Knight-Returns-Batman-3.jpg

Aaron

As someone who hasn't read Batman in a while, I'm tempted to buy all the discounted collections. Any I should skip over?

Heh. Went right back it where I was in Court of Owls and would you look at that.

(Yes, Zero Year Spoilers)

Batman #9, page 14. That penny is powering the whole cave, isn't it. As a conductor.

Snyder, you diabolical...

Some quick thoughts on what I've read over the last week...

Hellboy, Library Edition Volume 3 - This was awesome, absolutely the best I've read so far. I think Hellboy the character's mythology is more fully crystalizing for me at this point too. I do sometimes feel like I need or should be constantly reminding of the full context to various references to previous plot points, but the overall story moves along rather smoothly.

Velvet, Vol 1 - So good, I love it. Brubaker doing espionage feels great. There's a nice, sensible mystery going on and good ol' basic spy work, with some flashes of action. It's appropriately grounded, which is nice. Can't wait for more of this.

Nightwing, Vol 4 - Decent Batman-style action, nothing too special but nothing egregiously bad. Although, the Prankster's bodycount was absurdly high, and it's disturbing that that wasn't really felt. The plot got a little grimdark, even if the storytelling did not.

Talon, Vol 2 - Uh, what the hell was this? I remember mostly liking the first volume well enough as a secondary Bat-family book, but this was awful. The art is pretty bad, from panel to panel the action is often unintelligible. The writing isn't much better either, with plot points appearing and disappearing at random. The big giant Talon monster just gets dumber and dumber, and the whole story turns into an extreme mess of sci-fi gobbledegook. The kind of thing that makes the phrase comic book a pejorative.

American Vampire, Vol 6 - This was a nice change of pace, just a series of shorts in this world. There was a notably good balance between character and action, and it was nice to see some other voices have fun with these scenarios.

Those are some great books man. I think you finally read one of my favourite hellboy stories of all time in there too, The Three Wishes? I really love that one, such a great story and Mike really really nails the imagery and colour palette in that one. The Island is really the spot where everything starts to come together and make sense. Get ready for what comes next, just when you think you've got it all figured out.... :)

Thanks for the heads up on the talon book too. I remember us discussing the first volume and I quite liked that too but I never did pick up volume 2. I think Tynion had a moment when he was getting there, I'm not sure now though, need to check out the woods.

Got that AmVamp volume in my basket on amazon for my next order in two weeks time, sounds brilliant! Think I'll be reading Umbral volume 1 today

Prozel

Guys which issues are worh picking up (New52 related) of Batman and Detective Comics? The big sale on ComiXology really has me stocked on comics!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
As someone who hasn't read Batman in a while, I'm tempted to buy all the discounted collections. Any I should skip over?

Personally I'd skip Earth One and Arkham Asylum. The rest are gold.

Speaking of Bats, I've been cracking on with that Rucka run that I've not read for 14 years. Holds up incredibly well, I forgot just how extreme that art style was, especially for the period. Having a book that looked like that now would be brave, it's just using two colours, blue and orange and it works SO WELL. The start of the run is pretty much a pilot for Gotham Central, massively more focused on the GCPD than it had been before, which makes sense coming right out of No Man's Land. I'd forgotten just how good this era of books were, this would be top three along with Dixon and Morrison eras for me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Guys which issues are worh picking up (New52 related) of Batman and Detective Comics? The big sale on ComiXology really has me stocked on comics!

All the Batmans, no Detectives. Actually scratch that - Tec 1 and 27 are good. But Batman, start with 1 and go all the way, it's a very good run.

Injustice is $8 on PS4 :O

Saweeeet

Updated List:
KoruptData = KoruptData
Messi = RemyWilde
Freezasaurus = Freezasaurus
Cheska = Cheska19
GrandHarrier = GrandHarrier
Tyrant Rave = PR1M3R1B
Bii = Socheata
Gketter = DarkKnight77
Slightconfuse = THESLIGHTCONFUSE
Espi = SirRobes
Sca2511 = sca2511
Gipsy Danger = fenix1989uk
Shin Johnpv = ShinJohnpv or Shin Johnpv
CorporateClown = CorporateClown
Supermanisdead = Supermanizdead
ThyMusicMan = TruKill420
Sillymonkey321 = Owzers
WadiumArcadium = WadiumArcadium
Tizoc = tizoc789
Jedeye Sniv = JedeyeSniv
MG310 = MG310
Voror = MrDresden
Face It Tiger.. = Biggz124
ViktVaughn = VikVaughn
Tim1138 = tim1138
Kikarian = Kikarian
INDIGO_CYCLOPS = INDIGO_CYCLOPS
I need to start adding yous guys

Happy Bat Day

Tizoc

Glad to see more Hellboy love/interest, you be reading some actual quality comics there.

Just a reminder:
I don't get on PSN much lately and am mainly playing on my PC using Steam.
The username above is my Steam ID, so feel free to add me =)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks, just curious but why're they bad? Stories or?

Pretty good art, but bad stories IMO. Tony Daniel was writing and he's just not very good, the first arc was a thing about a guy making frankensteins and it was very silly and GRIM and all that. If you're new to comics I wouldn't advise reading it, there are better comics.

Prozel

Pretty good art, but bad stories IMO. Tony Daniel was writing and he's just not very good, the first arc was a thing about a guy making frankensteins and it was very silly and GRIM and all that. If you're new to comics I wouldn't advise reading it, there are better comics.

Thanks. I'll throw my money somewhere else!

I got Injustice finally downloaded and installed this morning. Oh Hi 8 hour download even though it should have downloaded in like 90 minutes.

I'm fucking TERRIBLE at Mortal Kombat style fighters. I am preparing now for ComicGaf to demolish me on a regular basis.

I got Injustice finally downloaded and installed this morning. Oh Hi 8 hour download even though it should have downloaded in like 90 minutes.

I'm fucking TERRIBLE at Mortal Kombat style fighters. I am preparing now for ComicGaf to demolish me on a regular basis.

You can always be like KoruptData and play a no skill required character like Deathstroke. ;)

Mindwipe

Zipped through the first 6 issues of More than Meets the Eye. Ultra Magus continues to crack me up. I'm loving the characterization, although sometimes I have a hard time telling some of the less known characters apart.

Anyone you need a hand with?

Windblade #4, today, is terrible btw. The rest of the series had been quite enjoyable too.

And remember last week when I asked about buying Morrison's Batman in trade? Looks like Comixology have solved that issue then...

Zombine

Banned
Today is Velvet day! I don't care about any of the other books I'm getting today. This birthday week has been pretty amazing for me so far.

Owzers

i'll bet Batman Arkham Asylum to give it another read, and maybe batman court of owls trade to finish my digital collection BUT i recommend people get Batman Earth One, that was a fairly fun take on Batman by Geoff Johns even if it didn't go for large sweeping changes to the character like i'd like in otherworld stuff.

Zombine

Banned
i'll bet Batman Arkham Asylum to give it another read, and maybe batman court of owls trade to finish my digital collection BUT i recommend people get Batman Earth One, that was a fairly fun take on Batman by Geoff Johns even if it didn't go for large sweeping changes to the character like i'd like in otherworld stuff.

GOAT Alfred. I am patiently waiting for Book 2.

Just a reminder:
I don't get on PSN much lately and am mainly playing on my PC using Steam.
The username above is my Steam ID, so feel free to add me =)

Gave you an add man :) updated my steam and xbox bits on my profile in case anyone ever wants to add me, destiny beta on xbox and Divinity on pc for me currently, I'm in Scotland though, so I don't know how many of you match up timezone with me. I always miss so much while I'm sleeping haha :(

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You guys are so lucky that you have the possibility to get your hands on one of these Batman Anniversary Issues, I just checked and of course my Comicbook shop doesnt have any :(

ElNarez

Banned
Am I crazy for really digging the shit out of All-New Doop? Like, Lafuente is fucking great at cartooning, which yo, I'm all about that, but also, it's Milligan just out-weirding himself every single issue and doing weird meta-exploration of how we become obsessed with extremely minor comic book things in a real goddamn clever way and it's probably his best thing in like, forever.

Also they totally teased something X-Statix related which I'm not gonna believe is actually happening for real and is just him messing with people, related to the obsession with kinda obscure things theme he's got going, like he's fucking daring Marvel to just bring back X-Statix, to see what the fuck happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom