• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first Zero Year arc, is Red Hood supposed to be the Joker?

Maybe? The Joker's origin is intentionally meant to be vague. You're not supposed to really know. You can suspect. You can be pretty sure. But there is always going to be some doubt.

I just saw this Comics Alliance article about a Ramon Perez helmed Mister Miracle and Big Barda series that never saw the light of day thanks to the new 52. I want to live in a world where this was released.(

Barda and Mr. Miracle have been getting a fair amount of page time in Justice League Beyond 2.0 as members of the Justice League.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Does this mean you can buy a house and comics now?

And can I just say that more figures and statues are welcome here? I basically only
Go to CBR now for Toying Around.

It means I can save up even more money for a house (or possibly save the large amounts of money required to get a commercial helicopter license depending on how life goes) and yes, buy more comics. :D
My income would be doubling, so I'd feel a bit more carefree.
Well, that is, if I get the job. So I'll try not to get too ahead of myself.

But I will say this: If I get the job, I'm pretty sure I'll splurge on some massive IST order, mostly containing Hellboy books.

And regarding the figures and statues, I second that notion. I love seeing comics-related figures and statues.

Maybe? The Joker's origin is intentionally meant to be vague. You're not supposed to really know. You can suspect. You can be pretty sure. But there is always going to be some doubt.

Well I totally agree that they will always keep it so it's not hammered down so much that there's no room for other writers' interpretations, and to keep that mystique about the character. It is pretty clear though that this is Snyder's interpretation of the joker's origin though, that's definitely what he's getting at. Whether you want to run with that or another writer does, obviously totally up in the air, but I think it's fair to say it is meant to be him.

But I will say this: If I get the job, I'm pretty sure I'll splurge on some massive IST order, mostly containing Hellboy books.

That's awesome man. I never commentedon the job earlier with those posts because I was mainly watching tv, jsut running back and forth for the hellboy chat, but that's really cool to hear, I hope you get it. And spend it all on hellboy books haha.

Btw, has anyone got any opinions on Chris Roberson's new book at Image, Sovereign?

Kipp

That's awesome man. I never commentedon the job earlier with those posts because I was mainly watching tv, jsut running back and forth for the hellboy chat, but that's really cool to hear, I hope you get it. And spend it all on hellboy books haha.

Thanks! Haha

It's kind of a funny coincidence that the job is at Rockstar though. You would assume with this being a gaming forum that I was specifically looking for jobs in the games sector or something, but I actually just came across it while searching for jobs within a 25 mile radius of me with the keyword "bachelor's degree" or something. I barely even play video games these days. Haha. It would be totally cool to work for Rockstar though.

Went to the other local comic shop in town that has crazy wonky hours. Finally found it open.

He's got a muuuuuuch larger collection with tons of back issues and old stuff. Lots of cool things all around.

Found Cyclops #1 for $5...but back issues were half off so I got it for $2.50 - cheaper than cover price. Nice. Didn't have Cyc #2 though. Or Rocket Raccoon #1. But 1/3 is better than nothing.

They also have a ton of recent issues - enough to finish my Blackest Night collection that is half completed. And a few Cable and Deadpool issues. If any of those are valuable I might go back. They pretty much mark everything up to $5 a few months after release and then never look at them again. As far as I could tell, at least.

Went to the other local comic shop in town that has crazy wonky hours. Finally found it open.

He's got a muuuuuuch larger collection with tons of back issues and old stuff. Lots of cool things all around.

Found Cyclops #1 for $5...but back issues were half off so I got it for $2.50 - cheaper than cover price. Nice. Didn't have Cyc #2 though. Or Rocket Raccoon #1. But 1/3 is better than nothing.

They also have a ton of recent issues - enough to finish my Blackest Night collection that is half completed. And a few Cable and Deadpool issues. If any of those are valuable I might go back. They pretty much mark everything up to $5 a few months after release and then never look at them again. As far as I could tell, at least.

Sounds like the store in my hometown; guy has a permanent two-tiered table of back issues usually at 50%-75% off. I've even managed to pick up a few sets or consecutive issues of a series. Kabuki is one of those.

Edit: Also, surpsingly, I've just started getting into Batman comics. I have the Zero Year collection pre-ordered, but I'm looking to drop some money on some digital stuff considering the massive volume of stuff out there. Gotham by Gaslight I'll pick up, but I do want a physical at some point. Any other suggestions on what to grab? I like the 'darker' stuff, or weird, or mystery-inspired.

kd-z

It's rightfully a timeless classic. Strikes Back is less so (but still a v. interesting read). It's iconic in every way, and along with Watchmen, laid the groundwork for every major work in comics that came after it.

There aren't many MUST READ comics, but that's definitely one of them.
Hmpf. If I don't decide to buy some other Bat-story, maybe I'll buy this and give it another try then.

Most definitely. I'm applying for lead animator (Rockstar decided the whole 3D graphics thing was just a fad and are gonna make games using drawn animations just like the old cartoons that everyone loved did). Basically I sent them the MSPaint avatars I made and they all but told me "You're hired." I'm pretty sure the interview is just a formality.

But in seriousness, the title I applied for is Dialogue Development Assistant, so I think basically I'd just make the subtitles, edit stuff, and generally assist people. Nothing too fancy, but still, it's a full-time job and I'd be ecstatic to get it.
Oh man, that's awesome. I hope you get the job, but keep in mind that if you do then you'll have to be ready for us pestering you for some inside info :>
I've got it sitting on my shelf. I need to get to it soon. Probably after I finish Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
That's a very good idea ;)
Donie summarized it perfectly with this one sentence: "Read Hellboy up to volume 5, then read what you feel like."
Well said. To be honest, though, I read Seed of Destruction and then was like "well, I like team books" and jumped straight into BPRD. It took me a couple months to get back to reading Hellboy. I commend everyone who wants to do it in proper order, though, must be fun!
He has eaten the pancake. He will never come back to us now.
:D
Truly his is our blackest hour. Or maybe brightest? After all, that's a new person reading Hellboy which is never a bad thing!

Been thinking about the batman sale all day. I love getting digital versions of comics I've read, even when I have them in trades but I think I might pass on the knightfall/end/quest and no mans land. I love these events but I have re bought each with the recent trades for each and I think they'll be better reads that way. Why? These events jump around so many comics and some not in the sale that reading digital would be incomplete and the reading order more work to do.

I'll still be buying a ton of batman comics still

And chuck Dixon is one of the most under rated writers ever. Also later I'll talk about the best era in bat book history. It was early 2000. We had Rucka on Detective Comics, Brubaker on Batman, Dixon on night wing, robin and birds of prey. And it was AWESOME. All of them were firing on all cylinders. Even Grayson was doing decent work on Gotham Knights book (I think that was the name). Every bat book was great.

Kipp

For true? I'm all over that. Does anyone still have that ComicsGAF PSN list handy? I'd love to play w/ some of yall. (My PSN ID is vikvaughn)

Here you go!

KoruptData = KoruptData
Messi = RemyWilde
Freezasaurus = Freezasaurus
Cheska = Cheska19
GrandHarrier = GrandHarrier
Tyrant Rave = PR1M3R1B
Bii = Socheata
Gketter = DarkKnight77
Slightconfuse = THESLIGHTCONFUSE
Espi = SirRobes
Sca2511 = sca2511
Gipsy Danger = fenix1989uk
Shin Johnpv = ShinJohnpv or Shin Johnpv
CorporateClown = CorporateClown
Supermanisdead = Supermanizdead
ThyMusicMan = TruKill420
Sillymonkey321 = Owzers
WadiumArcadium = WadiumArcadium
Tizoc = tizoc789
Jedeye Sniv = JedeyeSniv
MG310 = MG310
Voror = MrDresden
Face It Tiger.. = Biggz124
ViktVaughn = VikVaughn
Tim1138 = tim1138

Barda and Mr. Miracle have been getting a fair amount of page time in Justice League Beyond 2.0 as members of the Justice League.

They've been showing up in Earth 2 as well, if I remember right.

Injustice is $8 on PS4 :O

Ok I can spend 8 bucks lol. They broke me, I'll have to pick it up tonight.

Damn it now I feel dirty, I bought it. All 22 gigs of it are downloading.

I'll have to add more people from the ComicGaf PSN list. I think only Korupt, Kryptonian, and GH are on it so far. I feel no love :(

Kipp

Unknown Soldier came today. I put it on my shelf. Good times.

Aww yeah.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get around to reading it six months or so from now. :p
Meanwhile, just enjoy the four quite-differently-sized TPBs sitting on your shelf and take comfort in the fact that you could be reading them if you wanted to.

Zombine

Banned
Aww yeah.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get around to reading it six months or so from now. :p
Meanwhile, just enjoy the four quite-differently-sized TPBs sitting on your shelf and take comfort in the fact that you could be reading them if you wanted to.

Lol I'll get to it all. I even stopped Martha. I get pretty exhausted after work and I just do whatever. I ended up starting Zero Year today and I liked the first issue WAYYY more than I remember.

Edit: Injustice Party!

Sounds like the store in my hometown; guy has a permanent two-tiered table of back issues usually at 50%-75% off. I've even managed to pick up a few sets or consecutive issues of a series. Kabuki is one of those.

Edit: Also, surpsingly, I've just started getting into Batman comics. I have the Zero Year collection pre-ordered, but I'm looking to drop some money on some digital stuff considering the massive volume of stuff out there. Gotham by Gaslight I'll pick up, but I do want a physical at some point. Any other suggestions on what to grab? I like the 'darker' stuff, or weird, or mystery-inspired.
You'll want to read A Serious House On Serious Earth.

Cade

Can't wait to see Grant's BOOM project revealed in 2018, right after Multiversity issue #3 and the first previews of Trial of Diana Prince

You'll want to read A Serious House On Serious Earth.

I actually have that, surprisingly; bought it years ago. It slipped my mind until after I posted that request.

Anyone have any other suggestions on what to pick up during this Batman sale? Any recommendations for the Batman Classics? They look neat.

Would a ps3 tournament stick work?

I'm already on :) finishing up story mode though.

I'd love for this to be true; I haven't tried my PS3 stick on PS4 yet...

"Selfie!"

Rsud1uN.jpg

Zipped through the first 6 issues of More than Meets the Eye. Ultra Magus continues to crack me up. I'm loving the characterization, although sometimes I have a hard time telling some of the less known characters apart.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can't wait to see Grant's BOOM project revealed in 2018, right after Multiversity issue #3 and the first previews of Trial of Diana Prince

I hope he finds time for Nameless in there somewhere.

just when i thought the batman sale that started yesterday on comixology was awesome. i just saw the 1 day sale on Batman essential graphic novels. for $2.99
Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Long Halloween, Earth One, Hush, Son of Batman, Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, The Black Mirror and Court of Owls

Just picked up Long Halloween, Son of Batman and Arkham. I already have the others except for Black Mirror is that one any good? almost got Long Halloween single issues yesterday but im almost broke and pay day is tomorrow, but tomorrow im going to get some of the 99c classic issues.

just when i thought the batman sale that started yesterday on comixology was awesome. i just saw the 1 day sale on Batman essential graphic novels. for $2.99
Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Long Halloween, Earth One, Hush, Son of Batman, Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, The Black Mirror and Court of Owls

Just picked up Long Halloween, Son of Batman and Arkham. I already have the others except for Black Mirror is that one any good? almost got Long Halloween single issues yesterday but im almost broke and pay day is tomorrow, but tomorrow im going to get some of the 99c classic issues.

Black Mirror is great. Definitely check it out if you want a good Dickbats story

Damn. I wish I saw that earlier when I made my mega purchase of some of those arcs in the singles section! Oh well

Messi

Bought them all except Court which I already own. Cheers.

Any good Batman Arc recommendations for the comixology sale?

Hush, Year one and Dark Knight Returns are amazing books.

i though Court of Owls was good, Night of Owls not as good but i loved the mini story at the end of the books with Alfred's dad and Martha Wayne when she was pregnant. Others didnt like either arc. But i enjoyed the Talon villain and the stuff with nightwing.

I think the Death of the family arc is on sale but the tie ins, like SS and other bat family issues are not on sale.

I plan on getting Dark Victory this week, and i have not yet looked through the classic Batman or Detective comics that are on sale but there will be some gems in there.

Any good Batman Arc recommendations for the comixology sale?
Yea they're quite a few. Look back a couple pages. But I highly recommend Both of Ruckas detective comic runs. Of course you have the standards in the TPB section like long Halloween, dark victory, black mask, morrisons run, no mans land and knightfall/end/quest are the best event books in the sale

Bought them all except Court which I already own. Cheers.

Yeah i saw it and thought i should give everyone a heads up. i wonder if they will do more 1 day sales on batman this week. but the Batman sale makes up for not having a sale last week and having the Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad sales almost the half of the same issues last month.

Messi

Hush, Year one and Dark Knight Returns are amazing books.

i though Court of Owls was good, Night of Owls not as good but i loved the mini story at the end of the books with Alfred's dad and Martha Wayne when she was pregnant. Others didnt like either arc. But i enjoyed the Talon villain and the stuff with nightwing.

I think the Death of the family arc is on sale but the tie ins, like SS and other bat family issues are not on sale.

I plan on getting Dark Victory this week, and i have not yet looked through the classic Batman or Detective comics that are on sale but there will be some gems in there.

Not missing much, the death of the family tie ins are largely crap and add little to the story.

Not missing much, the death of the family tie ins are largely crap and add little to the story.

Yeah i dont think i even bought many of the tie ins, other than SS which i was already reading. i remember some of the Batgirl ones and just felt a little out of place

Messi

Yeah i dont think i even bought many of the tie ins, other than SS which i was already reading. i remember some of the Batgirl ones and just felt a little out of place

I am sorry you had to experience those suicide squad issues. They are aggressively shit and past the line of violence for me. It's well worn talk in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom