• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

A Rich Johnston crappy pic of Sean Murphy's art for Tokyo Ghost:

IMG_20140723_223550364_HDR.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my:

"Do you guys like Hellboy and BPRD?" Stephenson asked. John Arcudi and James Harren are doing a book called Rumble, described as "a scarecrow Conan fighting in a world like Louie as directed by David Fincher."

That last part especially, "in a world like Louie as directed by David Fincher," has me super hyped.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Pie and Beans versus ComicGAF: I didn't like Black Science. Hopefully Tokyo Ghost is not "kill people for shallow emotional slanted story" Remender and the good kind of Remender.

Also, how do I get Dan Slott off of Spider-Man? I had a flick to see this Silk character bullshit. He's plumbing new depths when I thought he'd already gone through bedrock. What devil-deal must I make?

tim1138

Ray Fawkes has an Image book coming out called Intersect:

Ray Fawkes joined Stephenson on stage, calling Image likely the only company not afraid to print his new series, "Intersect." Fawkes said it's like "if all of 'Twin Peaks' happened within the Black Lodge," and described it as a "very Lynch, very Cronenberg, body-focused story." Fawkes is writing and painting the series. "Intersects" starts in November, and it's the first Image series for the "Batman Eternal" co-writer, but Stephenson said it's the first of a couple projects Fawkes has in the works at the publisher.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Next were Gabriel Hardman and Corinna Bechko, who have collaborated on Planet of the Apes and Star Wars for other publishers. The pair are working on a couple of things for Image, including a collection of Hardman's digital-first book Kinski, a "comedy drama about a guy who steals a puppy, and all of the terrible consequences that befall him after that."

Lol. I haven't heard of either of those creators, but I love the sound of that premise.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Remender wants all of our money.

Ray Fawkes joined Stephenson on stage, calling Image likely the only company not afraid to print his new series, "Intersect." Fawkes said it's like "if all of 'Twin Peaks' happened within the Black Lodge," and described it as a "very Lynch, very Cronenberg, body-focused story." Fawkes is writing and painting the series. "Intersects" starts in November, and it's the first Image series for the "Batman Eternal" co-writer, but Stephenson said it's the first of a couple projects Fawkes has in the works at the publisher.
Sold!

Erik Stephenson said:
"No matter what anyone else says, or how offended anyone gets, I'll never back down from the position that comic books are more than just marketing materials for movies, toys, and video games,"
But... how does Mark Millar fit into that? [/snark]

Messi

Also, how do I get Dan Slott off of Spider-Man? I had a flick to see this Silk character bullshit. He's plumbing new depths when I thought he'd already gone through bedrock. What devil-deal must I make?

Will you accept a deal with the devil? Would you take Queen Nocenti writing your beloved Spider-man?

tim1138

Invisible Republic sounds pretty cool

Invisible Republic is co-written by the duo and drawn by Hardman. "It's a secret history of the rise to power of a revolutionary hero off on some little planet a long way away in the future. It's all told through the point of view of his female cousin who was expunged from history because she knew too much," he described. "This is her memoir that lays out her complicated history that no one ever knew." Bechko said that every stage is done together when they collaborate. Invisible Republic is planned as an ongoing series with five-issue arcs. "It's a passion project for us," said Hardman. "We've been spending years thinking about it and working on it. It's a huge opportunity to do something that's 100% ours."

yeah, snark or no snark, Image does keep publishing whatever movie pitch Millar shits out
Lol. I haven't heard of either of those creators, but I love the sound of that premise.

Gabriel Hardman's good. Had some runs on Red Hulk, Secret Avengers, and the new Star Wars Legacy. He's storyboarded films too, worked with Chris Nolan a few times I believe.
618_comics_secret_avengers_rick_remender_gabriel_hardman.jpg

Invisible Republic sounds pretty cool
Aw yeah. Glad to see them do something like this. Star Wars Legacy was pretty cool but I didn't care about that universe as a whole

I kind of don't like it when people describe something by saying its like someone elses thing. I realize it's meant to very quickly give you an idea what it is about but it makes it seem derivative right out of the gate.

Messi

I kind of don't like it when people describe something by saying its like someone elses thing. I realize it's meant to very quickly give you an idea what it is about but it makes it seem derivative right out of the gate.

This post is like something Zombine would write.

Agreed. I'm especially tired of "[blank] meets [blank]," moreso when people use it to describe their own stuff. Doesn't do much to draw away from the thought that a lot of people in indie comics just write pitches rather than actual stories.

Owzers

was thinking this too since it's so prevalent in this Image panel. The last time i remember a description i agreed with was Morning Glories being like Lost meets Breakfast Club.

Pie and Beans versus ComicGAF: I didn't like Black Science. Hopefully Tokyo Ghost is not "kill people for shallow emotional slanted story" Remender and the good kind of Remender.

I have no idea how you see that in Black Science. There haven't been a lot of deaths in the series yet, and the ones we've seen have all been an integral part of advancing the storyline. Black Science isn't Game of Thrones shock value deaths.

I'm hyped for this new book. How does Remender put out so many comics in a given month? I guess he's striking while the iron is hot, since popularity waxes and wanes.

This post is like something Zombine would write.

LOL. Well played.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jeff Lemire has an Image book in the works
Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, Trillium, Animal Man) and Dustin Nguyen (Batman, Little Gotham, American Vampire) team up to bring a brand new monthly science fiction series to Image Comics in March 2015 about one young robot’s struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet.

Ten years ago massive, planet-sized robots called “The Harvesters” materialized without warning and invaded the orbits of all the United Galactic Council’s worlds, wiping out entire planets and civilizations before disappearing again. In a fear-fueled response to this machine holocaust, the galaxy blamed millions of robotic companions, whom they suspected of somehow spawning The Harvesters. All robots and androids were immediately outlawed and ruthless bounty hunters called Scrappers were charged with scouring the universe for any surviving robots.

An incredibly life-like artificial boy, TIM-21 may hold the secrets to the origin of The Harvesters deep in his machine DNA—and as a result is the most-wanted robot in the universe. With only his small pet-bot Bandit and the lumbering mining droid Driller at his side, TIM-21 goes on the run. Before long the entire galaxy is looking for this rag-tag group of unlikely companions, as they make their way from one exotic planet to the next with new foes advancing on them at every turn.

“I’m incredibly excited to bring Descender to Image Comics with Dustin Nguyen. Descender is a huge sprawling sci-fi epic, full of mystery and adventure, but at its heart it’s also the story of a little boy looking for a home in a universe that hates and fears him.”

“It’s a real thrill to finally have Jeff doing something at Image,” said Eric Stephenson, Publisher at Image Comics. “We had the opportunity to work with him at the very beginning of his career and kind of flubbed it, so after watching the rest of world fall in love with his work in the years since, it’s really great to have a second shot at working with such a wonderful and unique talent. The fact that he’s bringing an artist as insanely talented as Dustin with him just makes it even better!”

A rip-roaring and heart-felt cosmic odyssey, DESCENDER will pit humanity against machine, and world against world, to create a sprawling space opera from Image Comics this March 2015.
L4N74YU.gif

How was Lemire's run on Animal Man I heard good things and his new series sounds intriguing plus Nguyen... my god Image gets the best talent for their books.

Zombine

Banned
Oh my god Velvet. This fucking book. It's truly perfect. Brubaker has mastered his craft and this book is the payout. Velvet makes James Bond look like an amateur.

And now we're getting a Steve McQueen-esque cover for the next issue? Book is firing on all cylinders for me.

tim1138

The only bad this is all these books are so far away... there's still stuff from the last Image Expo that hasn't released yet (Bitch Planet, Nameless).

tim1138

How was Lemire's run on Animal Man I heard good things and his new series sounds intriguing plus Nguyen... my god Image gets the best talent for their books.

Started AMAZING (first 6 issues with Travel Foreman) coasted for a bit, was terrible during RotWorld, and then picked up to be pretty good again in the final run to the end.

Messi

Oh my god Velvet. This fucking book. It's truly perfect. Brubaker has mastered his craft and this book is the payout. Velvet makes James Bond look like an amateur.

I love that feeling when a book has just clicked with you and everything about it is just hitting you page after page of awesomeness. Its how I feel about every issue of SAGA. its a nice feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom