• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikarian

Oh my god Velvet. This fucking book. It's truly perfect. Brubaker has mastered his craft and this book is the payout. Velvet makes James Bond look like an amateur.

And now we're getting a Steve McQueen-esque cover for the next issue? Book is firing on all cylinders for me.
I cannot wait to catch up with it.

I sent out more friend requests and played some of the single player of Injustice. A few things, I really suck at the timing of MK style moves and combos. Also some one needs to take the artists at Nether Realms to a live model art class, or a strip club, or basically into the public in general. Some one needs to show them how females are actually put together and move. That WW model holy crap.

kd-z

WOW at those Image announcements.
Remender is writing SO MANY BOOKS. It's making it difficult for me to think about other Remende- comics, I mean comics!

Year of Remender? More like decade!

Zombine

Banned
I love that feeling when a book has just clicked with you and everything about it is just hitting you page after page of awesomeness. Its how I feel about every issue of SAGA. its a nice feeling.

Velvet is one of those books that I don't expect everyone to enjoy, with it being a Spy Drama and all, but Brubaker captured the spirit of an era that I have been interested in for many years, and is giving us a very sincere and mature look into how I would assume someone in MI-6 would have viewed the 40s-70s. It's a very beautiful and brutal book, and I feel like it is something that any adult could dive into and enjoy. I am hoping that it receives the treatment it deserves and it becomes a TV show.

Saga was fantastic this month also. You can see certain relationships
or infidelities
blooming in an incredibly organic and tragic way. I really do enjoy this book, but like someone said in the Breaking Bad thread recently, you have to be able to see a books weaknesses if you are actually a fan, because that means you are dissecting every aspect of it. Art was gorgeous like usual.

Moon Knight Creative team moves to Image in 2015.

oh_yeah_obama.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Four of those new Image announcements are must buys. I'll probably be swayed by a couple more with additional info and impressions.

Image is fucking killing it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You have to sacrifice your marriage

Even though I refer to her as Mrs Pie and Beans, we're not actually married! So an easy deal ("Sorry hunny, we can never actually tie the knot because I wanted a comic writer to be removed" "HSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!")

Will you accept a deal with the devil? Would you take Queen Nocenti writing your beloved Spider-man?

I'll take it. At this point anything feels better. Even a different flavour of awful dogshit would be sweet release from this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How much of post OMD Spider-Man is worth reading? Noting that I'm not really a fan of Slott.

I'd say up until Spider-Island because at least then he was doing some like "hey Peter Parker is kinda getting it together!" storylines. Now its just bullshit trolling of the highest order because I guess Slotts run out of genuine Parker stories and just wants to fuck around.

I wish he replaced Dan Slott on Spider-man after Superior.

No point. Fraction just burns out after a like 6-7 issue run these days and then thats that. Feels like he'll only ever be able to do mini-series going forward.

I haven't read Spiderman yet...is it Xmen 100th bad?

Spider-Man 100th felt like a breath of fresh air, despite probably being shit really? I don't know. Thats how bad Slotts run has gotten really.

I haven't read Spiderman yet...is it Xmen 100th bad?

I wisely avoided the 100th books, but from what I've heard, no. It is so much like the Alpha story and the ending is so dumb, but it's ultimately just a mediocre OS tie-in nobody needs to read. Slott put about five minutes of thought into this character, she is doomed to fade into obscurity. There is seriously nothing interesting or original about her at all.

Edit: if you were talking about Spider-Man 100th, pls disregard

Sport ASM feels like spinning wheels until Spider Verse. And he quickly has to introduce like half a dozen fuckin things right up until dat wtf ending. Birdie tier lulz to be had right now
Edit: "sport ASM" thanks Android spellcheck

Zombine

Banned
I wisely avoided the 100th books, but from what I've heard, no. It is so much like the Alpha story and the ending is so dumb, but it's ultimately just a mediocre OS tie-in nobody needs to read. Slott put about five minutes of thought into this character, she is doomed to fade into obscurity. There is seriously nothing interesting or original about her at all.

Edit: if you were talking about Spider-Man 100th, pls disregard

I was talking about Amazing Spiderman, but I'm glad to have gotten information on 100th Spiderman also. The only 100th worth it so far has been Avengers, and that's because they actually had talent on board who did his own thing.

Sadist

What the hell did I just read in Spider-Man?

Seriously, what on earth?!
It was pretty damn bad yeah.

I'm getting tired of Slott's convulted stuff. I kinda liked Spider-Island, but ever since he's just been awful. Occasional good story aside, I wished the Amazing re-launch would have featured another writer.

Edit: Oh wait, I really liked the Gauntlet story revolving around Rhino, first time I liked the character.

ASM was my only NCBD book this week, so I picked up a few older issues as well, including Captain America #11.

Jet really shouldn't be a very interesting character, power-wise. She is effectively a Cap/Daredevil hybrid with a few twists. Yet, hearing her describe her powers to Fury Jr., I was struck by the contrast between Jet and the long-hyped Silk. That is how you put a spin on an old character type and make it interesting: you give her a crazy backstory and compelling aspects, like her inability to focus more than one sense at a time, and her insistence on describing her martial arts style as "tachyon fu." You don't copy the title character's powers to the letter, give her +1 in some areas and -1 in others (Pete laboriously notes that Silk's speed and spider sense are slightly superior, while her strength is slightly inferior. Ooooo, wow, sorry about the spoiler on that guys), give her powers a lame, "been there/done that" quirk or two (
webs with barbs!
) and call it a day. That is some lazy shit. That is phoning it in. Don't think I'll be back next ish, Slott. Maybe when spiderverse hits, I dunno, but he really does seem to be scraping the barrel at this point. Time for him to move on.

Also, are we really doing a webs-as-costume bit immediately following a webs-as-underwear bit? Really Slott? Really dude...that was three issues ago

Not so wise now after today, are ya?

I was describing ASM, not a 100th book. And I am not wise in general, just in that particular decision. I am just as susceptible to lame shit as everyone else here, from time to time ;p

frye

I was describing ASM, not a 100th book. And I am not wise in general, just in that particular decision. I am just as susceptible to lame shit as everyone else here, from time to time ;p

Nah, I mean 100th Anniversary Avengers ruled ruled ruled (rip jim stokoe)

Mindwipe

Jeeze, I spent a lot of money at Comixology today.

Also, what's GAFs opinion on the best Android reader for files from the Humble bundle?

Pie and Beans

Don't drag up my Larroca hurt and OMD at the same time, GAF. Do not do it :(

Vibranium

Banned
Hey guys, I just got Injustice on PS4 as well, hit me up with friend requests whenever if you want to play sometime, though I suck haha.

PSN: Vibranium-Shield

Also spent a ton of money on Comixology due to the Bat sales, had to double dip on my favourite, Year One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom