• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought id see hickams Shield Mini be referrence yet there it is in orginal sin.

Rocket racoon was amazong . skottie young was born to draw that book. his art is so good.

Thoughts about things I read this week:

sexcriminals_06.jpg

Sex Criminals 6

Pretty good. Art in this issue was really good, but it was fascinating watching John and Suzie's relationship become... tedious. And not only that, but watch John fall apart. Fraction did a pretty good job in letting John's disorders shine through, be funny, but not be a joke. I really liked the ending when for a moment, all the life came back to John in his rage. Great moment.

c8jKC1A.gif

Southern Bastards 3

This comic should be a television show on HBO. That's how good it is. It'd be like... Emmy-winning. I think I've said a bunch on the art before, but it is glorious. This is a very tried-and-true story, but Aaron tells it so, so well. Earl is a fascinating protagonist... basically Raylan Givens if he never became a cop and went to war instead. If the end of the issue is any indication, things are about to get far more nastier than I had thought.

Who else believes that
Earl's wife is dead and he's basically having a breakdown and still thinks she's alive? And all of his rage at the denizens of Craw is his emotional release?

My face at the end:

Shocked.gif

Punisher 8

Good finale to the two-parter and nicely sets up the next storyline and crossover with Black Widow. Can't wait to see these two titles crossover cause I love them a ton. The guest artist was quite good.

This version of Frank is definitely the most human of any version of Frank I've seen in a long-ass time. He's more like a regular man thrust into this role, not a grim avenger of the dead. It's refreshing, to be honest. I like this version of Frank. They show him being tactical, showing fear, being a soldier; sacrificing himself to save a fellow soldier

I wonder who Crossbones is working for. Probably the guy that Widow is chasing in her story.

My face at the end:

THIS IS PUNISHER 33

Will-Phone-Happy.gif

Black Widow 8

You'd think Bucky and Black Widow would have some fiery sexual tension, but no such luck. Still, lovely art, pretty fun issue. Bucky and Widow would make a great pair, so it was a bit odd to read that she has
amnesia regarding her relationship with him
? I did like him
ushering her out then getting pissed at the guys who shot his ex.

Also, did the boss of Crossbones kidnap Isaiah?

My face at the end:

tumblr_mtfj7hF2YK1ql3ec6o1_500.gif

Moon Knight 5

So. Goddamn. Good. I am already pre-enraged at Wood for taking over from Warren Fucking Ellis cause this shit is just too good. It scratches an itch that Ellis' abandoned series 'Fell' scratched. This was Moon Knight at his utmost fucking badass. Loved it.

That moment at the end with Scarlet and Moon Knight's mask totally screamed Watchmen, but like a nicer version of it.

Then holy shit at the last page that was fucking awesome.

FUCK YOU WOOD.

tumblr_mm6sksKU4F1qzoy6io1_500.gif

MG310

You'd think Bucky and Black Widow would have some fiery sexual tension, but no such luck. Still, lovely art, pretty fun issue. Bucky and Widow would make a great pair, so it was a bit odd to read that she has
amnesia regarding her relationship with him
? I did like him
ushering her out then getting pissed at the guys who shot his ex.

That happened in the Broken Arrow/Widow Hunt arc in his solo series.

frye

Falcon had sex with Jet who is like...16 iirc

That's pretty silly considering she straight up says she's older than that in this issue and one of the main conceits of the 10-issue Dimension Z arc is that time is sped up there (i.e. there's been a literal 10+ year timeskip in the book itself).

That's pretty silly considering she straight up says she's older than that in this issue and one of the main conceits of the 10-issue Dimension Z arc is that time is sped up there.

Isn't that the same excuse H-manga creators use for really young-looking characters?

Cheska

It was actually odd reading this week's Black Widow issue, since I just read "Black Widow: The Name of the Rose" which had Bucky and Natasha in a very believable relationship.

It was actually odd reading this week's Black Widow issue, since I just read "Black Widow: The Name of the Rose" which had Bucky and Natasha in a very believable relationship.

Ha. Now Bucky is all like "Go, Natasha. My robot arm gives me all the love that I need. It even has vibration function."

I don't know how I feel about Black Widow these days. The art is great, but I always feel like the story is rushed from point A to point B.

Owzers

How far did everyone make it into Unwritten? I moved on to vol 6 after finishing vol 5 yesterday and i'm still liking it, though i can't help but feel like the book got too far ahead of itself with the overall plot losing what made the first volume special.

How far did everyone make it into Unwritten? I moved on to vol 6 after finishing vol 5 yesterday and i'm still liking it, though i can't help but feel like the book got too far ahead of itself with the overall plot losing what made the first volume special.

I made it a few issues into the new Unwritten: Apocalypse series. But honestly, what really killed my interest was the Fables crossover. It pretty much caused the series to lose all the momentum it picked up.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I still buy every floppy. The series is damn good, but it definitely does not read well from floppy to floppy anymore. It's about to be over though, so no point in me stopping. The overall plot only shifts slightly towards the end, but it's always fairly consistent
Tommy vs. Pullman

Actually, looking it up, you're at the point where there are one-shot in-between issues that are fucking great, so keep going, meng.

I made it a few issues into the new Unwritten: Apocalypse series. But honestly, what really killed my interest was the Fables crossover. It pretty much caused the series to lose all the momentum it picked up.

Fables needs to end. Now. It's shocking to see that series dragged on for an extra 70 issues, especially when they're fucking awfully mediocre.

Bii

I still have the first two volumes on my shelf unread.

Fables needs to end. Now. It's shocking to see that series dragged on for an extra 70 issues, especially when they're fucking awfully mediocre.

It's ending in 10 issues but I agree, the latter half is horrible. The most recent issue (#142) seems like it's leading to a promising/entertaining way to end the series.

Owzers

I still have the first two volumes on my shelf unread.

It's ending in 10 issues but I agree, the latter half is horrible. The most recent issue (#142) seems like it's leading to a promising/entertaining way to end the series.

Unwritten vol 1 is a fantastic intro volume for a series, you should stop not reading it.

Hey Bii, are you buying that ArtFX+ Grey Hulk? I'm trying to figure out if they charge when you place the order, or when the figure ships. There's a note on the item page that says they reserve the right to charge you up to 60 days before the item ships, but they don't make it clear one way or the other.

Bii

Hey Bii, are you buying that ArtFX+ Grey Hulk? I'm trying to figure out if they charge when you place the order, or when the figure ships. There's a note on the item page that says they reserve the right to charge you up to 60 days before the item ships, but they don't make it clear one way or the other.

I've no idea. I'm probably going to buy it at the con. I'd rather not spend the additional $15 on shipping. :p

I've no idea. I'm probably going to buy it at the con. I'd rather not spend the additional $15 on shipping. :p

I'm still undecided on him. I want him, but $100 is a decent bit of money. Still, he's a good size for the price.

Cheska would have already bought it by now.

Futures End has locked in and is now delivering great things. So happy I stuck out the shitty issues.

And all it cost you was $36 before you got to the good stuff. ;)

IrishNinja

damn, i forgot about Fell...Ellis' own Battle Chasers. Bendis is slowly pulling the same with Scarlet, that book needs to get going again

speaking of: anyone know if Usagi Yojimbo is gonna start up again?

WHOOOOOA, WHOA, WHOA! Did.....did you just shit on TMNT's interior art?

we're talking about the ongoing, right? cause i'm really not a fan of the way Santolouco makes them look like giant thumbs with bandanas (and the eyeholes, ugh...i hate that shit even on wolverine with some artists)

Wow y'all ain't shit

haha seriously

we're talking about the ongoing, right? cause i'm really not a fan of the way Santolouco makes them look like giant thumbs with bandanas (and the eyeholes, ugh...i hate that shit even on wolverine with some artists)

Giant green thumbs? AHHHH CAN'T UNSEE!

Still, I don't mind the art. I quite like it, it's just stylized is all. Though it's worth mentioning that the arc after Cityfall had art by Ross Campbell, who also did Glory and Wet Moon. He's another fellow from my "Favorite Artists" list. He does very well drawing all kinds of body types instead of just "healthy attractive male" and "healthy attractive female". Wish he was on the book longer than just four issues.

Owzers

Actually, that one is based on a piece of Jim Lee art if I'm not mistaken. When it was initially announced, there was no sculpt, so they only had the artwork to show.

you're right. I think i might actually try to get this one if dcbs has it for pre-order. Does anyone know if this has hit dcbs already?

IrishNinja

Giant green thumbs? AHHHH CAN'T UNSEE!

Still, I don't mind the art. I quite like it, it's just stylized is all. Though it's worth mentioning that the arc after Cityfall had art by Ross Campbell, who also did Glory and Wet Moon. He's another fellow from my "Favorite Artists" list. He does very well drawing all kinds of body types instead of just "healthy attractive male" and "healthy attractive female". Wish he was on the book longer than just four issues.

oh, i remember liking that guy! yeah.

that's the thing though, it's just the turtles themselves. the humans, other animal characters, i think he draws great - shredder looks absolutely badass by me. it's just the thumbheads!

you're right. I think i might actually try to get this one if dcbs has it for pre-order. Does anyone know if this has hit dcbs already?

Not yet. I'm importing, and I'm not getting her until she comes out in (late) November. Meaning she'll be a December release in the US. You still have time.

Been out all night, any word on the free infinite comic with Rocket Raccoon? I don't typically redeem my digital codes so I'd just like to know

New Warriors was solid this week. I have a feeling the next one is gonna be better

fauxtrot

Banned
There's only one statue I've ever truly wanted, and it still bothers me that I passed it up... especially since I'd need to spend a dumb amount of money to get my hands on it now a days.

edit - If anyone has no need of their digital code for Rocket Raccoon #1, I'll happily buy it. Just send me a PM!

Vibranium

Banned
I do not know what that is or when it happened.

Man, Natasha is so depressing. God, just go on a date with Bucky and have fun, girl. You are so melancholic.

It was a bullshit move by Ed Brubaker after Widow Hunt (in the old Winter Soldier series, may it come back ASAP) where Natasha was brainwashed by an insane former Russian operative Bucky trained during the Cold War, and then for some stupid reason Buck didn't want to bring her memory back (Bru did it just to cause pointless man-pain). No writers have had the balls to fix it yet. I really hope Edmondson goes somewhere with BuckyNat again, because those two are hands down one of the best couples/retcons that the MCU ever had/has. I want them to to date and have fun again too, they were doing that regularly a couple years ago....

If you like the two, I highly recommend reading issues of Brubaker's "Captain America and Bucky" from his run, which focus on Winter Soldier's time in the Red Room with Widow, and how he found solace in her despite being molded into a weapon. It also covers how Buck was trained by SAS as Cap's partner and their time at Camp Leigh together. Also, read Winter Soldier by both Brubaker (it's great aside from the bitter ending of his run) and especially Latour/Klein's amazing brief run to cap it off (fantastic "villain" with serious MGS vibes). 19 issues of WS, much better than The Bitter March miniseries.

I totally forgot that the Rocket Raccoon novel by Dan Abnett was coming out so soon. It comes out in like two weeks! So excited for that and the Guardians 3000 series later this year.

It was a bullshit move by Ed Brubaker after Widow Hunt (in the old Winter Soldier series, may it come back ASAP) where Natasha was brainwashed by an insane former Russian operative Bucky trained during the Cold War, and then for some stupid reason Buck didn't want to bring her memory back (Bru did it just to cause pointless man-pain). No writers have had the balls to fix it yet. I really hope Edmondson goes somewhere with BuckyNat again, because those two are hands down one of the best couples/retcons that the MCU ever had/has. I want them to to date and have fun again too, they were doing that regularly a couple years ago....

If you like the two, I highly recommend reading issues of Brubaker's "Captain America and Bucky" from his run, which focus on Winter Soldier's time in the Red Room with Widow, and how he found solace in her despite being molded into a weapon. It also covers how Buck was trained by SAS as Cap's partner and their time at Camp Leigh together. Also, read Winter Soldier by both Brubaker (it's great aside from the bitter ending of his run) and especially Latour/Klein's amazing brief run to cap it off (fantastic "villain" with serious MGS vibes). 19 issues of WS, much better than The Bitter March miniseries.

The Winter Soldier x Metal Gear Solid sounds awesome

Vibranium

Banned
The Winter Soldier x Metal Gear Solid sounds awesome

Well it's just my personal impressions haha, but yeah there is some clear influences in there (which is definitely awesome).
Child soldiers, PMCs, double agents, blacksite military compounds, WMDs, etc, though a lot is told through flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom