• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only 5 trades into Invincible, so I didn't actually know that Tech Jacket is directly from Invincible. The whole aesthetic probably should've clued me in (I wish the main character didn't look so much like Mark Grayson though). The new #1 was a good intro though and Khary Randolph's art is sooooooo good, i'm on board. but, uh,
I hope the girlfriend character didn't get straight up fridged already, because c'mon bruh

arkon

I'm only 5 trades into Invincible, so I didn't actually know that Tech Jacket is directly from Invincible. The whole aesthetic probably should've clued me in (I wish the main character didn't look so much like Mark Grayson though). The new #1 was a good intro though and Khary Randolph's art is sooooooo good, i'm on board. but, uh,
I hope the girlfriend character didn't get straight up fridged already, because c'mon bruh

I think Tech Jacket actually came first but it didn't take off the way some of his other work did so he shelved it.

Messi

Amazon just sent me an email recommending a book to me, Graphic Ink: The DC Comics Art of Frank Quitely HC [Hardcover]. Amazon pls. Stop the trolling.

fertygo

Moon Knight is effing great, just one more issue ;_;
Amazon just sent me an email recommending a book to me, Graphic Ink: The DC Comics Art of Frank Quitely HC [Hardcover]. Amazon pls. Stop the trolling.

You know you want it.

funkyfly

Neo Member
Just read hickman's FF run and really enjoyed his portrayal of black bolt. Is it worth it to read war of kings?

Messi

My first Marvel hardcover arrived today, wow this is a much better way to do books than using dust jackets. I bought The Trial of Jean Grey.

Mafro

So am I the only one in this thread that's not automatically writing off Moon Knight after #6 and acting like it's ending?

I think Tech Jacket actually came first but it didn't take off the way some of his other work did so he shelved it.
I looked it up and whoa, yeah you're right, first six issues were in 2002. I was wondering why the recent digital stuff they mentioned was collected as Volume 2.

I wanna read more Invincible now, regardless

So am I the only one in this thread that's not automatically writing off Moon Knight after #6 and acting like it's ending?
Yeah, but you don't have to limit it to just this thread

Mafro

It reminded me of old-school X-Men which I loved. The fact it was an all-female team was irrelevant to me.

Loke13

Reading Sinestro corp War and I have a question. Why are all the Guardians beside Gathnet such colossal fucking morons?

Chariot

Reading Sinestro corp War and I have a question. Why are all the Guardians beside Gathnet such colossal fucking morons?
I was never much into Green Lantern, so I am probably not the right one to answer, but as far as I see it: the Guardians are a bunch of old men with power who think they are better than everything. THEY have to protect everything, because everyelse is below them. Also for guys who supposed to have no emotion they're very often upset and angry.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have actual issues with his writing not his personal life.

Eh, his writing is fine B minus grade crap like most comics are, not much in the way of flavour or verve. I'm fairly sure most of the hate for him comes from his personal issues. He's no Nocenti or Lobdell or Slott.

ElNarez

Banned
If you're seriously going to argue that Brian Wood shouldn't be ousted from the comics industry when there are multiple accounts proving that he sexually harassed women, we're going to have a problem.

Let's put aside the fact that his writing has been average at best as of late, even if that's another key factor in why I didn't want him anywhere near Moon Knight. The fact the industry has let him get away with it should not mean we have to let him get away with it too.

Basically, they've lost perspective. They tend to think far to long term, grand master design, which causes them to miss the small, seemingly unimportant things that can end up making the difference. It's why you always see Hal Jordan, or whomever is the mainline GL at the time, being shown as often "in the right" by doing the seemingly reckless, impulsive thing.

Messi

How about we don't defend a sexual predator?

His writing is bang average. Paint by numbers. I don't think he fits Moon Knight at all.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You are all acting like he's been convicted of a crime. At best it seems he has dubious sexual morals, cheats on his wife and is a sleaze. At worst...what? You think he's raped someone? Any evidence for that?

Measure the man by his work until he's convicted of a crime. His work seems average enough to warrant dismissal all by itself.

Zombine

Banned
At best it seems he has dubious sexual morals, cheats on his wife and is a sleaze. At worst...what? You think he's raped someone? Any evidence for that?

Reason enough for me to dismiss him all together. You say that shit like it's perfectly normal.

I've dismissed Woody Allen, I can easily dismiss this predator too. Making "art" does not give you a pass to act like a dochebag and harass people.

Cheebo

Banned
Reason enough for me to dismiss him all together. You say that shit like it's perfectly normal.

I've dismissed Woody Allen, I can easily dismiss this predator too.

He is a sleaze who tries to cheat on his wife, how in the world has he ever shown himself to be a predator on the scale that Woody Allen has been accused of?!? There is a pretty damn huge gap from trying to cheat on wife in Woods case to accused pedophile in Allens case.

Wood did wrong, but the fact people are treating him like he committed a crime is insane. Endless people cheat on their spouse, they don't often get compared to pedophiles. There is a big difference. People are being way overly dramatic.

UH OH, Brian Wood arguments are popping up again! At this point, he's been convicted in the court of public opinion, it seems. At least to the point where he's become something of a pariah.

I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, yeah, fine. Go ahead, burn the witch. Have fun kids. But it's also sad that people can just tweet some shit and potentially ruin someone's career/life without any concrete evidence to back it up other than a bunch of "oh yeah, me too's".

The fact that multiple people have come forward about it yet he still gets high profile work, all while under the guise of being a great feminist writer, is enough to make me pass on his average-ass comics
UH OH, Brian Wood arguments are popping up again! At this point, he's been convicted in the court of public opinion, it seems. At least to the point where he's become something of a pariah.

I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, yeah, fine. Go ahead, burn the witch. Have fun kids. But it's also sad that people can just tweet some shit and potentially ruin someone's career/life without any concrete evidence to back it up other than a bunch of "oh yeah, me too's".
Yeah I bet a bunch of people got together thinking, "yo, we can ruin this guy if we just tweet some shit, I mean why not?! Fuck it right?"

C'mon man

Wood is too boring for me to write a defense about, but I'll just say that I still enjoy Roman Polanski and Woody Allen's films

But we all have our moral high grounds and such. Some people bought Before Watchmen for fucks sake

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I've dismissed Woody Allen, I can easily dismiss this predator too.

Fair enough. Tabloid-style judging without any real evidence just winds me up. I've said my piece, carry on folks :)

Yeah I bet a bunch of people got together thinking, "yo, we can ruin this guy if we just tweet some shit, I mean why not?! Fuck it right?"

C'mon man

I'm not getting wrapped up in this shit or making an argument that he's not guilty. I was just commenting on the power that social media has these days.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm not getting wrapped up in this shit or making an argument that he's not guilty. I was just commenting on the power that social media has these days.

On the internet, approaching any explosive subject with a degree of objectivity means you are being a defense force.

Why am I even fighting this?

LET'S TRACK HIM DOWN AND SMASH HIS TEETH OUT WITH A ROCK YAAAAAy

I don't know what real evidence you're looking for, exactly. Firsthand accounts are as good as you're gonna get. But nah they could be lying so fuck everything
all those tweets really ruined his career

Cheebo

Banned
Never said that hyperbole, either. I don't like him or his work, I vote with my wallet. Period.
I'd say comparing cheating on your wife/trying to cheat on your wife to pedophila which you did in comparing him to Woody Allen is hyperbolic.

Zombine

Banned
Let's stop the fighting

1000w.jpg

I'd say comparing cheating on your wife/trying to cheat on your wife to pedophila which you did in comparing him to Woody Allen is hyperbolic.

Let me elaborate, I was not comparing him to a pedophile, I was showing that I have the ability to dismiss people regardless of career path. You don't get a pass to act however you want because you work in entertainment.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't know what real evidence you're looking for, exactly. Firsthand accounts are as good as you're gonna get. But nah they could be lying so fuck everything

all those tweets really ruined his career

Well they could be lying. Or exaggerating. Or simply have an alternative reading of a situation that comes off as worse than he intended (ie he only wanted to cheat on his wife, not be labelled SEXUAL PREDATOR). Wasn't the whole furore over something like "Yeah I can get you some work, how about we go to my hotel room and fuck? No? Well fuck you then your work is shit" scummy yes. Par for the course in other industries? I'd bet my balls.

Never said that hyperbole, either. I don't like him or his work, I vote with my wallet. Period.

You didn't, I did. Hyperbole is the only way to play this game. INNOCENT! GUILTY! ORF WITH IS ED!

I guess technically I vote with my wallet too.

Cheebo

Banned
Wasn't the whole furore over something like "Yeah I can get you some work, how about we go to my hotel room and fuck? No? Well fuck you then your work is shit" scummy yes. Par for the course in other industries? I'd bet my balls.

Wait are you trying to tell me that isn't comparable to raping your under-age daughter-in-law?

Wood is a sleaze obviously, but all this "BOYCOTT HIM. JUST LIKE I BOYCOT WOODY ALLEN" sort of nonsense is just drama for dramas sake. If you want to boycott comic writers/artists who use their power to try to get women to have sex with them then you have to stop reading quite a lot of the books I imagine.

That's a bit reductive of what the actual accusations were, as in, there were more than just the cheating stuff. As for the comparison, i think it was more of how Woody Allen is actually a pretty great director and had no problem dropping him, so dropping a mediocre writer like Wood is barely a question. I think.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So yeah comics. Original Sin was dope as fuck this week, Aaron is killing this. Although I did realise a sneaky trick that Deodato does. I think all his muzzle-flashes on guns are a model that he's copying and pasting, they all have that weird atomic flair to them even when it's a normal gun. I think he's copy pasting a lot of his backgrounds too, must have a library of piping and hi tech machinery in his arsenal. I can't tell if that makes me think less of the work though. I do wish it was a little less obvious I guess.

Moon Knight was actually pretty good this week, nice Raid rip off, good fighting.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wait are you trying to tell me that isn't comparable to raping your under-age daughter-in-law?

Wood is a sleaze obviously, but all this "BOYCOTT HIM. JUST LIKE I BOYCOT WOODY ALLEN" sort of nonsense is just drama for dramas sake. If you want to boycott comic writers/artists who use their power to try to get women to have sex with them then you have to stop reading quite a lot of the books I imagine.

It's worse, at least Woody didn't insult his daughter-in-law's work. Scumbag.

Look, all I'm saying is that Jimmy Savile raised a lot of money for the kids, kay?

Well they could be lying. Or exaggerating. Or simply have an alternative reading of a situation that comes off as worse than he intended (ie he only wanted to cheat on his wife, not be labelled SEXUAL PREDATOR). Wasn't the whole furore over something like "Yeah I can get you some work, how about we go to my hotel room and fuck? No? Well fuck you then your work is shit" scummy yes. Par for the course in other industries? I'd bet my balls.
Par for the course? Shiiii, all good then! Nah but he definitely tried downplaying it in his apology just short of explicitly saying "they're wrong about the worst parts." So, I guess all the women could've teamed up to make up stuff about this one guy. But another part is that the industry held this dude up forever as being a great dude for women in comics, and then... yeah.

I'm not sure where all this fake hyperbole you're spouting off is even coming from, but it ain't even here

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
What? There's dirt on Brian Wood from way back? Missed it somehow, sucks if true, I kinda liked the first 3 trades of DMZ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom