• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinC

Wow, I'd really like to have that Captain Marvel figure, love that they have a masked/unmasked version. That Hawkguy in the back row looks pretty good too.

Read through Batman #33 last night, really enjoyed it. Loved the very end of this issue, but the whole arc has been really enjoyable.

And yeah, the Silk thing in ASM isn't great. Shoehorning new elements into a long-standing origin story rarely works out well, not sure what Slott is thinking here.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Hey guys, any TPB recommendation for a guy who don't follow comics (except Fables)? I'm eyeing Matt Fraction's Hawkeye or GotG Cosmic Avengers vol. 1. What I'm looking for is basically a stand-alone story that doesn't rely much on the continuity

"Invincible" by Kirkman, Walker and Ottley. Self contained series, great characters and twists, amazing art.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/158240500X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

kd-z

Yo Messi, I read the Harley-Batman story from Legends of the Dark Knight that you recommended and...

...it was fun! The premise is very interesting. Here it was played for laughs but I can imagine a full-fledged (which means: more words ;) ) version in a regular Batman comic. The art was cartoonish and well-suited for the story - the facial expressions of both Harley and Bats are very important to this kind of comic and the artist nailed them. Thanks for the recommendation! :) Who knows, I might read Harley when she gets a trade after all :p

Reaidng through CBR's interview with Mike Mignola on the new HB & the BPRD book and spotted this:

I didn't spot them specifically reference it in the text, but looks like a cover for a new BPRD omnibus, collecting the 1940s series. Great stories, for anyone who is reading the series by omnibus.

Reading through Umbral last night and today, will probably share some thoughts on volume 1 later, if anyone's interested in that!

Heh. Beat me to it. Hott News.

I'd be interested!

After Image Expo I'm like so super into like all their stuff I kinda just wanna read any of it that's good.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Knowing Kirkman, Im surprised there isn't any Invincible merchandise or figures floating around.....

Agreed, aside from a few lego-esque figures, I'd love me a 6 inches figure like this custom one.

KGmoHFe.jpg

After throwing money at Amazon, I gots me some comics. And... I'm kinda happy with my choices?
Spider-Man related stuff aside, it was a decent time.

Amazing Spider-Dude 3 + 4:
UGH. Why is it that I actually miss Superior Spider-Man?
This is actually disappointing. I might actually drop this.

Ultimate Spider-Dude - Miles 2 + 3:
UGH STOP
What the hell is going on? Is this supposed to be mysterious and strange? Ooh, look who's back! And now the Goblin! And coincidence! Also thiefs!
Because it's not! It's stupid! He's Spider-Man now. Give him new enemies, make him fight other peeps, I don't know! Just get out of this "Peter Parker would have..." thing that writers have for Miles. It's getting annoying.

All-New Ultimates 4 + 5:
Kill off minor character, provide fan-service, and get some gang fights there.
I feel like this series might swing back from the terrible first two issues. The characters are being developed as a team, rather than just random superheroes, but they're using the
"dead friend to make person learn a lesson"
thing and it just feels weak. Also, this is writing Miles better than Miles' own comic is. What the hell.

Original Sin 5 + 6:
Hmm...Weeeeeell then.
So it was Fury, then?
Kinda lame, but I'll take it. The
clone army and his story
is a really "Eh" look at the character, but a crucial point to understanding just how big the Marvel universe really is
to need a bunch of Nick Fury clones

Original Sins: Hulk vs. Iron Man: 1 + 2:
its about to go down
yessssssssssssss

Deadpool vs. Carnage #1 - 4:
A perfect mini-series that works. I was surprised by the quality of the art and the ever-so-slowly mental games Deadpool played with Carnage. Honestly, it made me appreciate the character more as a comedic anti-hero rather than a ball of randomness and stupidity. I recommend it.

I can't believe I forgot the most important one!
MS. MARVEL 5 + 6:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
This is now my favorite series coming from Marvel.
The art is swell, the characters are great and the writing is top notch in how it portrays a developing superhero learning to get shit done. This is the best thing and I love it.

jordisok

MS. MARVEL 5 + 6:
The art is swell, the characters are great and the writing is top notch in how it portrays a developing superhero learning to get shit done. This is the best thing and I love it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

After Image Expo I'm like so super into like all their stuff I kinda just wanna read any of it that's good.

Well, you definitely wouldn't be doing a bad job if you checked out Umbral. It's not perfect; I'm not sure if you ever read wasteland, but it has a lot of similar pro's and cons. Johnston has always had a really good ear for dialogue and really trusts you to keep up on the story, so his stuff tends to be virtually exposition free. The book pretty much hits the ground running and never lets up, with some really crazy stuff happening in the first few pages, that basically fuels most of the book. Mitten's art is incredible, I always loved him on Wasteland, and the colours by Rauch are unreal. Really makes for a distinctive book, and sets it nice and far apart from the usual fantasy fare.

That said, even though I like that Johnston doesn't forcefeed you the plot, he maybe goes a little too far. Dropping you into a world at a straight out sprint and expecting you to figure out the rules without enough context kind of thing, it's a little confusing at first imo. There a really good bit in issue 4 where the lead character is given a history lesson that gets cut short right before it gets to the bit where it gives you all the answers. IF that scene had opened the book, literally with everything else how it already was, imo the book would be perfect.

I enjoyed the read though, for £5.25, it is a meaty ass thick trade with great production values and an exciting story. If anyone was into the dark crystal or labyrinth as a kid and would love something like that but for the adult you are now, Umbral is pretty spot on.

fertygo

MS. MARVEL 5 + 6:

Yup, I rather meh with 3+4 and thinking the book already blow the load but last 2 issue proving me wrong.

man I haven't been into comics much since annihilation but Marvel Heroes has got me going again. That 99 cent marvel unlimited sub is gonna send me down all kinds of rabbit holes.

seconded, was gonna post this

Another vote for Invincible. The deluxe hardcovers are fantastic. Always a little sad to see how low it comes in on the monthly seller lists but whatever.

Zombine

Banned
I saw that Manifest Destiny bit in their leaders, but can you really make figures ofr a book that sells like 8K a month?

It's sort of like when people actively try to create a meme, it's forced and ends up becoming nothing. Skybound is desperately hoping that Manifest Destiny becomes a lightening in a bottle scenario like Walking Dead. I bet they already have their cast picked out for the TV show.

Messi

Yo Messi, I read the Harley-Batman story from Legends of the Dark Knight that you recommended and...

...it was fun! The premise is very interesting. Here it was played for laughs but I can imagine a full-fledged (which means: more words ;) ) version in a regular Batman comic. The art was cartoonish and well-suited for the story - the facial expressions of both Harley and Bats are very important to this kind of comic and the artist nailed them. Thanks for the recommendation! :) Who knows, I might read Harley when she gets a trade after all :p

I really think you should try the Harley trade in a month or two. It's been really fun. The art is great and Amanda plus Jimmy just get what makes harley fun.

If you want another great short story about Harley try the 3 issue mini by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm on Comixology called Harley and Ivy. It's the perfect harley and Ivy story and shows why they are such good pals. The trade is long out of print and it's fairly pricy if you do find it so get it on Comixology.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Reaidng through CBR's interview with Mike Mignola on the new HB & the BPRD book and spotted this:

I didn't spot them specifically reference it in the text, but looks like a cover for a new BPRD omnibus, collecting the 1940s series. Great stories, for anyone who is reading the series by omnibus.

Awesome! Very nice timing!

Goto my shop on my lunch and low and behold they have Batman Vampire for $20!

Batman: Vampire by Doug Moench et al. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401215653/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$60 new on Amazon. Been wanting to read this trilogy.

Hah. I didn't realize that was a rare book. I actually found it at the library when I was first starting to read comics. I read the first story of the three and thought it was decent, but didn't read the other two. But keep in mind, that was also the same day I read the first volume of Hawkeye and didn't like it at all (I later picked up the OHC because I knew it had to be better than I originally thought, and it was and I loved it), so clearly my taste in comics wasn't quite right yet.

It's a really interesting elseworlds though. Some fun reading for sure. I'd really like to read it again now that I could probably appreciate it more.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just started reading Morrison's Batman run... I finished Batman and Son as well as the Black Glove, and now I'm on to Ra's al Ghul's resurrection! I should have had the common sense not to doubt Morrison and I feel bad it took me this long to get around to starting it. The dude's a master.

Just started reading Morrison's Batman run... Just finished Batman and Son as well as the Black Glove, and now I'm on to Ras al-Ghul's resurrection! I should have had the common sense not to doubt Morrisonand feel bad it took my this long to get around to starting it. The dude's a master.

Just know that Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul is completely and totally skippable and you don't need it for Morrison's story

Just started reading Morrison's Batman run... I finished Batman and Son as well as the Black Glove, and now I'm on to Ra's al Ghul's resurrection! I should have had the common sense not to doubt Morrison and I feel bad it took me this long to get around to starting it. The dude's a master.
Yeah it's amazing. Batman and Robin is my favorite part of the run, I loved it so much.
I've got to go to SDCC at least once in my life.
It's crowded and insane inside the convention center but you have to go at least once. It is totally worth it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
so I just read Avengers 100 Anniversary and I wouldn't mind reading another issue of it. I love everything by James Stokoe

Unai

I feel dumb everytime I start reading something by Grant Morrison for the first time. Right now I'm reading his Batman run and stopped a little after R.I.P. to read the Final Crisis.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, I liked Batman & Son, The Black Glove, and RIP a whole lot, but Batman & Robin and Batman Incorporated were definitely what solidified that run as amazing for me. Mostly because of Dick and Damian. I'm so excited to pick up those two Absolute editions later this year.

fauxtrot

Banned
When will SDCC get with the times and start live streaming their panels? Some kind of all access coverage like E3 gets would be so amazing... but I guess there aren't any comic centric sites that have the capability to do what GTTV and the others do.

fertygo

Goddamn, Ian Bertham's art in this month secret origins is effing great.

I hope he can have some run in Batman & Robin if Damian does came back, love his Robin drawing.

Hey lovers. How's Storm #1?

I thought its pretty amazing, love I can read book with Storm without touching Woods X-men that stink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom