• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement time: The "Uncanny X-Force" team of Remender, Jerome Opeña and Dean White are teaming for an in-continuity original graphic novel titles "Avengers: Rage of Ultron," scheduled for release in April 2015 -- right before Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Age of Ultron" hits theaters

ifT7vL1GuWUTa.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ah, forgot to say I've read Saga up to vol. 2, thanks for the suggestions. It is indeed very good.

Books I've read are Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, Dark Knight Returns, Scott Pilgrim. I used to read Ultimate Spider-man too before it gets complicated. Most of them are standalone books and I only closely follow Fables TPB.

I googled Bloodspell and it's the one with Black Canary and Zatanna? I know these two characters but never read anything with them so it might be interesting.

I don't know if this is right or not, but I found DC's standalone stories easier to enjoy than Marvel's. I wanted to follow Miles Morales' Spidey, but not sure in buying his first volume--Bendis' origin story can be very slow.

Try Top Ten. Its a police procedural set in a city where all the citizens are super heroes.

Owzers

if you announce an OGN to tie in with a movie, i'm going to think it's marketing crap and not based on a great story idea.

SRG01

Which continuity? 616 or MCU? Because... wasn't Ultron completely destroyed at the end of AoU or does AoU not count as continuity anymore?

frye

Remender said it's a big priority at Marvel currently "to make the Vision the badass that he used to be. When the Vision showed up, the Vision used to be somebody that carried a lot of weight. And if the Vision got in a fight with you, you probably lost that fight. If you're a Vision fan, get ready. Daniel Acuña's redesigned the character in a way that's fantastic."

I've suspected Remender had a fondness for the Vision based on his Uncanny Avengers cast so it's nice he's going to get to do something with him.

Vibranium

Banned
Christ, Remender is going to burn himself out with all of these projects! The man is a machine.

I wonder if he'll be done with Captain America some time beyond April 2015. After Falcon he may think about packing it in. I would love Waid (Part 2) or Rucka on Cap after him, that would be sweet.

Oooh, new Vision design. I liked his redesign that got rid of the underwear, I hope Acuna's is good.

vareon

Really thanks with the suggestions, guys. I went from having no idea what to pick to being overwhelmed with choices! This should be fun.

Kikarian

Tomorrow (well later on today it's 1:30am) I'm going to finish Velvet Vol.1 or at least get a good portion read.

I've just been looking forward to reading it even when I was reading my other comics.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm not wealthy enough to be an official member of FigureGAF, but I just got these in the mail today so I had to share (gloat).

The Hellboy with the heads from "Heads" is my new pride and joy... they're much larger than I expected too! Probably 7" or more. This week has just been the best!

MG310

I'm not wealthy enough to be an official member of FigureGAF, but I just got these in the mail today so I had to share (gloat).

The Hellboy with the heads from "Heads" is my new pride and joy... they're much larger than I expected too! Probably 7" or more. This week has just been the best!

Those were great, never owned the Heads version of Hellboy though. Ended up selling Kriegaffe a while ago and the rest recently.

Zombine

Banned

You would hate me. Those would be out of the box asap.

Those are awesome; if I was going to get any figs it'd be those. But yea, I'm with you on the first part.

Now to buy a nice inkjet to print on...

fauxtrot

Banned
Those were great, never owned the Heads version of Hellboy though. Ended up selling Kriegaffe a while ago and the rest recently.

Man, I just can't bring myself to spend the money on Kriegaffe, as much as I want him. I had a hard enough time plopping down $100+ for Hellboy w/ Heads! I want the others, too, but not for the prices they're going for on eBay.

MG310

Yeah, I couldn't resist the 150 he was going for at the time considering he was sitting in a closet. Think I ended up getting 50 for Lobster and 90 for Liz and Johann together.

Funny considering how hard Liz and Johann were peg warming around when they came out. I ended up getting Johann and Lobster for 8 or 9 each from a comic store trying to get rid of them like a year after they came out.

You're killing me here!

I really want to pick up Rucka's full run but I already loaded up on all the Batman graphic novels recommended...

Regarding Rucka's stuff, what is the absolute must-read; not sure I can afford to spend another large amount of my budget if I can skip some of it...

fauxtrot

Banned
You're killing me here!

I really want to pick up Rucka's full run but I already loaded up on all the Batman graphic novels recommended...

Regarding Rucka's stuff, what is the absolute must-read; not sure I can afford to spend another large amount of my budget if I can skip some of it...

All of it. You'll skip nothing and like it! ;)

Yeah, I couldn't resist the 150 he was going for at the time considering he was sitting in a closet. Think I ended up getting 50 for Lobster and 90 for Liz and Johann together.

I wish I'd have been in the market for them earlier! I haven't seen a Kriegaffe for less than $230 since I started looking. Even Johann and Liz are around $50 each at the moment.

It's sort of like when people actively try to create a meme, it's forced and ends up becoming nothing. Skybound is desperately hoping that Manifest Destiny becomes a lightening in a bottle scenario like Walking Dead. I bet they already have their cast picked out for the TV show.

It really is a good book though. I wish more people would read it.

Well, that's one way to get me back on board, CMX. Well played.

Holy shit; CBZ files, DRM-free...digital is now starting to convince me. Hope all publishers get on bored. Being able to read on my laptop with the arrow keys is a treat.

fauxtrot

Banned
This poll over at CBR is kinda depressing.

What kind of comics fan sees a closeup pic of Ben Affleck as Batman or some concept posters for Marvel movies as bigger news than the cumulative awesomeness of the Image Expo?

Well, you have to consider that a lot of people voting likely don't read more than a few releases from the Big 2, and there are far more comic movie fans than actual comic book readers. I guess, at least it's not trailing by too many votes? I know what you mean though =/

Yeah, this is almost getting me to start buying digital again.

Same; or at least, buy more than I do. I think my issue is still feeling comfortable with not having a physical comic in my hand; but Guided View, after finally giving it a shot recently, is really a nice way to take it all in logically. Plus, all the sales they do, you can't really beat it. I just hope there's a point where I can have DRM-free copies of everything in my library. I'd love to have a high-quality CBZ of all these Batman graphic novels I just bought...

Bii

Whew, finished my first day here at SDCC. So fun, yet so tiring.

Check this out, I didn't really have a game plan as soon as the exhibit hall opens, so I headed over to the DC booth and saw a line. Instinctively, I stood in the line not knowing what it was for. Someone had mentioned free stuff and that was good reason enough for me to wait. As the line started to move, I find out I'm waiting in line to get a wristband for autographs/signings from Jim Lee, Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison (you can only pick one). I selected Snyder.

I should have brought my Batman #1 for Snyder to sign. My roomie did bring his copy and I got it signed for him. I bought the Capullo variant cover for Batman #32 and got him to sign that. Very cool and nice dude.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Well, you have to consider that a lot of people voting likely don't read more than a few releases from the Big 2, and there are far more comic movie fans than actual comic book readers. I guess, at least it's not trailing by too many votes? I know what you mean though =/

Yeah, I guess. It'd be more acceptable on another site, but for a comics site, you'd think a few more people would be excited about actual comics rather than relatively plain promotional stills and art for movies.

Messi

Whew, finished my first day here at SDCC. So fun, yet so tiring.

Check this out, I didn't really have a game plan as soon as the exhibit hall opens, so I headed over to the DC booth and saw a line. Instinctively, I stood in the line not knowing what it was for. Someone had mentioned free stuff and that was good reason enough for me to wait. As the line started to move, I find out I'm waiting in line to get a wristband for autographs/signings from Jim Lee, Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison (you can only pick one). I selected Snyder.

I should have brought my Batman #1 for Snyder to sign. My roomie did bring his copy and I got it signed for him. I bought the Capullo variant cover for Batman #32 and got him to sign that. Very cool and nice dude.

Thats a real difficult choice.

You should find Amanda Conners table :)

Have fun. Buy stuffs and show us.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Not gonna lie, I feel pretty left out living in San Diego county and not being able to go to Comic Con. Haha
I do really like reading the live blogs from these panels though.

And Bii, you better keep posting about SDCC so we can all live vicariously through you!

Oh, and fauxtrot, those are some really cool figures!

Unai

Same; or at least, buy more than I do. I think my issue is still feeling comfortable with not having a physical comic in my hand; but Guided View, after finally giving it a shot recently, is really a nice way to take it all in logically. Plus, all the sales they do, you can't really beat it. I just hope there's a point where I can have DRM-free copies of everything in my library. I'd love to have a high-quality CBZ of all these Batman graphic novels I just bought...

Yes, I think the same.

I have bought from comixology before, but I always felt very unconfortable putting my money there. After amazon bought them, I felt a little more secure and now a little bit more, even though most of the things I''ll be putting my money on aren't DRM-free. I guess just their vision makes me fell like that.

And in my case buying digital is even more convenient then for most of you guys because I import all my comic books. Basically I'm only reading though trades. I'll think I start buying my everyday books from comixology and keep buying the trades only for the stories that I really like.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Bii at a convention and no pictures? Does not compute.

If he's anything like me, he'll have taken about a thousand photos and spend tons of time sifting through them for the good ones and then editing those.
This is assuming he did take pictures. Which I really hope he did.

Messi

Bii at a convention and no pictures? Does not compute.

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought. Bring that snazzy camera and get some shots of something that isnt a beautiful white counter.

If he's anything like me, he'll have taken about a thousand photos and spend tons of time sifting through them for the good ones and then editing those.
This is assuming he did take pictures. Which I really hope he did.

Are you implying Bii takes any bad photos? of course not. Bii only takes perfect shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom