• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is also the plot of Hawkeye #20.
WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTT With Walmart references???

Also it was either Hopeless or Humphries that said at SDCC you son't need permission to make comics, you just make 'em. That will help me turn a corner and not feel guilt for buying their stale books....

Bii

It's going to be disgusting. We're putting about 1k aside for the weekend. We had plans to do cosplay, but those got moved to Halloween. She's having a hard time wrapping her head around the idea of sitting at a panel dressed as Zatanna or Black Canary (I really don't know what the decision has been on these, I've been working on Canary but then she changed her mind and hair color.) it may be easier to cosplay in SDCC with it being warm.

Happy birthday Zombine!

For those wondering why I haven't uploaded pics from SDCC, it's because I didn't bring a laptop with me to edit the photos, and there's no wi-fi at the hotel I'm staying (weird, I know). I'll probably post pics once I get back home on Sunday.

Also I bumped into Lori from The Walking Dead (no idea what her real name is off the top of my head). She was much taller in person than what I had pictured.

And I did see Amanda Conner's booth (Jae Lee and Rob Leifeld as well), but her line was getting long when I had spotted near the end of the day. She had some prints for sale. Not sure if I'll buy anything from her but I'll try to get her to sign my Harley Quinn Invades SDCC Variant that I had picked up here.

I don't think it was the issue a bunch of people made it out to be. And I still think Riddler was a bad choice for the big bad--his characterization was just fucking flat for me. Zero Year, overall, is great, but I can't get in line and consider it the definitive and best Batman story ever. I genuinely think somebody needs to tell Snyder to rein in his stories. He didn't need the equivalent of 15 issues to tell Zero Year, and the whole Eternal Sunshine thing that was thrown into the issue. Really.
Bruce wanted to erase his memories
. Really.

Your making light of mental illness? Have you ever read up on PTSD? It's serious man. There is a bunch of people out there that would love to
erase their memories.
. Especially if they kept on seeing visions their parents with bullet holes in their head.

I just got the marvel unlimited 99 cent deal.

Any recommendations guys!?
Immortal Iron Fist is dope

Damnit, i was just about to start reading Thanos Imperative in anticipation for seeing GOTG when i realize that apparently you need a crapton of required reading BEFORE this one :(
You can just do Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett and Lanning and then read it. The Thanos Imperative works as a standalone thing too honestly, it was my first cosmic book and I loved it.
Need it now.
I'm sold

Korupt with the Freeza spoiler tags

XD

Repost for new page

10514692_913781868638210_6077793391359753735_n.jpg

10556514_913781655304898_8898109857145122604_n.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Your making light of mental illness? Have you ever read up on PTSD? It's serious man. There is a bunch of people out there that would love to blah blah blah spoiler. Especially if they kept on seeing visions their parents with bullet holes in their head.

What. No. I'm not 'making light' of anything. I'm saying the introduction of that element in the story was goofy as hell and poorly handled. In an already overblown event, with a fat issue filled with too much horseshit happening, with a
deus ex Alfred
, to add that to the mix was completely ineffectual.

What was effectual was having Bruce shot through the portrait of his parents.

ElNarez

Banned
I don't think it was the issue a bunch of people made it out to be. And I still think Riddler was a bad choice for the big bad--his characterization was just fucking flat for me. Zero Year, overall, is great, but I can't get in line and consider it the definitive and best Batman story ever. I genuinely think somebody needs to tell Snyder to rein in his stories. He didn't need the equivalent of 15 issues to tell Zero Year, and the whole Eternal Sunshine thing that was thrown into the issue. Really.
. Really.

Eh, makes slightly more sense than spending your considerable wealth in a one-man crusade against crime, first by reaching peak physical and mental condition, and then by dispensing vigilante justice under a symbolic identity to take down the mob.

Like, both are reasonable options, even if the first one turns out to not be an option at all.

Tizoc

Daredevil #6...

It's not what it looks like. I don't want to believe that Waid is the kind of writer who
would do that to Matt's father and hero, his Uncle Ben, his Jonathan Kent; so it's gotta be a misdirect, and there's more going on in that scene than what Matt remembers or could even understand at that age.
Way i see it
that is how his mother left but it wa jack's way of doing it so she doesnt get dragged down to a hellish life with him.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Would you read an independent comic about a Walmart analogue that sells superheroes and super powers, the broken masses that work there, all while being a social commentary on big business and gun control?

Yo Rafa, write the script and send it my way. I will art it up.

Messi

Hah! What are the chances of both of us reading that today. I can't believe I'm actually going to be reading something at the same time as someone else.

Great Minds ect ect

--

Hey Bii, try asking Amanda Conner if Catwoman would ever be in Harley's book :p

What. No. I'm not 'making light' of anything. I'm saying the introduction of that element in the story was goofy as hell and poorly handled. In an already overblown event, with a fat issue filled with too much horseshit happening, with a
deus ex Alfred
, to add that to the mix was completely ineffectual.

What was effectual was having Bruce shot through the portrait of his parents.

Were at opposite ends of the spectrum. I'll just have to disagree.

. Really.

He didn't mean it literally, Eternal Sunshine style. It's a common side effect of ECT.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Were at opposite ends of the spectrum. I'll just have to disagree.
Can you expound some on what made the issue special for you? I'm genuinely curious, and I've really only read Chris Sims' real thoughts on it.

He didn't mean it literally, Eternal Sunshine style. It's a common side effect of ECT.
Bruce didn't mean it literally? I'm not getting what you're saying here.

Can you expound some on what made the issue special for you? I'm genuinely curious, and I've really only read Chris Sims' real thoughts on it.

Bruce didn't mean it literally? I'm not getting what you're saying here.

It probably helped that I read the whole thing leading up to the release of the latest issue. I loved the theme of the origin being one mans mental health. We all know that Bruce put himself in peak physical condition. This is the story of how that man put himself in peak mental condition. It was the birth of Batmans super hero gift, his mind. The Riddler was the perfect representation to tell this story. I think this was the best iteration of the Riddler that I have ever read.

As someone who suffered from panic attacks, high anxiety, and who went to therapy and takes medication for these things, the story and themes really hit home. It made my favorite character even more likable and relatable.

Going back to the birth of his mind. Tim is always shocked when I say my favorite book in GMs run was RIP, because it once again showed how great his mind truly is. It's what allows him to stand with the likes of Superman, WW, etc. That's what Zero Year was too me, the birth of the greatest Super Hero mind.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I wish I hadn't asked. That.. is beautiful.

I think I remember seeing it now. Dat price. Any less bank-breaking ones?

Really though it isn't that expensive. They have monthly payment plans where it can be less than $100 a month for only like 12 months! As your financial adviser, I say go for it.

This right here is nightmare fuel. I just don't get what he is going for with those eyes. Like the fake anime eye plastic surgery thing that some people have done in Asia?

They aren't even looking at each other. Talia is looking into the fucking abyss and Damian must see something over her shoulder that interests him more than the fight.

Talia's eyes aren't even pointing in the same direction. She almost reminds me of a deer there.

Zombine

Banned
Really though it isn't that expensive. They have monthly payment plans where it can be less than $100 a month for only like 12 months! As your financial adviser, I say go for it.

If Kipp says it's not expensive, it really isn't. Everyone needs at least one statue in their collection.

Filthy Slug

It probably helped that I read the whole thing leading up to the release of the latest issue. I loved the theme of the origin being one mans mental health. We all know that Bruce put himself in peak physical condition. This is the story of how that man put himself in peak mental condition. It was the birth of Batmans super hero gift, his mind. The Riddler was the perfect representation to tell this story. I think this was the best iteration of the Riddler that I have ever read.

As someone who suffered from panic attacks, high anxiety, and who went to therapy and takes medication for these things, the story and themes really hit home. It made my favorite character even more likable and relatable.

Going back to the birth of his mind. Tim is always shocked when I say my favorite book in GMs run was RIP, because it once again showed how great his mind truly is. It's what allows him to stand with the likes of Superman, WW, etc. That's what Zero Year was too me, the birth of the greatest Super Hero mind.
I'm in the same boat as you, brotha, so trust me, I would never downplay how badly mental illnesses and issues, officially diagnosed/widely understood or otherwise, can ruin, break, or destroy somebody. And, like you did with this specific story, I cling to any piece of literature, or story, or music that incorporates anxiety and depression and those types of mental afflictions. I guess I just didn't hone in on that aspect of Zero Year, and I didn't form that personal connection with the work.

However, that said, I like your interpretation if the storyline, and I think that's a powerful lens to interpret the story through. Batman is my favorite superhero due to his relateability, and I think you found what I was missing from Snyder's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom