• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neal Adams’ Batman And Walt Simonson’s New Gods To Be Collected In Omnibus

:D

Edit:
1vbkAjA.jpg
I am all over that Neal Adams one.

Boogiepop

Just finished reading the Worlds Collide Sonic/Mega Man crossover. It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely a lot of fun! And as a bonus, the solicitation at the end of the book actually managed to inform me that apparently we're actually getting a follow-up trade on the Sonic side, and it's listed as volume 1! So it looks like there's going to finally be a more up to date line of Sonic trades than the Saga stuff, so hurray! That's something I've really wanted to happen, and I was saying post crossover made sense once I learned that it changed the continuity, so this is super good news for me!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That Damian story was incredible, I wish someone would give Bertram a book already! he's got such an original style. More!
Seriously. I fucking love Bertram's style. But, in a world where people shit on Ron Wimberly, I just don't know how the dude could get a full time big two job.

kd-z

Seriously. I fucking love Bertram's style. But, in a world where people shit on Ron Wimberly, I just don't know how the dude could get a full time big two job.
You guys will have to show a more interesting example of something drawn by him than those two panels with Batman, Damian and Alfred from the last few pages of the thread if you want to pimp his art ;)

Morrison is excited to talk directly to the reader, the way that Stan Lee used to do. "It plays into stuff I'm interested in, breaking down the barriers of what's real and what's not. We developed this hypnotic induction technique to really fuck people up. It has mental effects and psychic effects that I think are quite bizarre."

The first world is Society of Superheroes, where it's 2014 and they've just come out of a war that was like the Second World War. There's "a lot of zombie fighting in this one. We have actually zombie paratroopers which is a new one!" It takes place on Earth-20. Abin Sur is the Green Lantern of that world, teamed with Lady Blackhawk and Dr. Fate.

I'm reconsidering my stance on Multiversity. I'm still not sure I am totally on board for Morrison-crazy, but some of these teases look genuinely fun.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh wow. I just finished Six Gun Gorilla. That was some Grant Morrison-type mind-bending. I need a little more time to digest that. Haha
I do know this: I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was quite a wild ride. And the whole story was incredibly unique.

Huh. Am I alone in thinking that Y:TLM is an odd choice for an Absolute Edition?
It's been a while since I read it, but I don't remember the art in Y ever being too impressive. It was fully competent, but it never actually impressed me.
Regardless, it's popular, so I'm sure the Absolutes will sell.

I half considered picking up the books for Bertram, but I was like nah non-Morrison Damian I aint about dat life

*snip*

So great.

Holy shit. All of Y in one book? I'm very tempted, but I don't really want some Invisibles-Omnibus-like abomination on my shelf. I'll see how it looks, first.

I very much doubt it'll be all of Y in one book. It'll probably be either the same size as the deluxe editions or, at the very maximum, the size of two of the deluxes.

Huh. Am I alone in thinking that Y:TLM is an odd choice for an Absolute Edition?
It's been a while since I read it, but I don't remember the art in Y ever being too impressive. It was fully competent, but it never actually impressed me.
Regardless, it's popular, so I'm sure the Absolutes will sell.

If they limited Absolute Editions to books with noteworthy art, there would only be about a dozen of them.

I very much doubt it'll be all of Y in one book. It'll probably be either the same size as the deluxe editions or, at the very maximum, the size of two of the deluxes.

Announced by Bob Wayne, his last San Diego Comic Con working for DC Comics, at the Retailer Lunch, two new Absolute Edition titles, Transmetropolitan and Y The Last Man, massively oversized volumes collecting the Vertigo series by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson and Brian K Vaughn and Pia Guerra….

Owzers

i'm happy with my Deluxe Y the Last Man hardcovers and i'd rather get a transmet omnibus...i don't like multivolume Absolutes, too much money. Looking forward to Absolute Batman Inc as my only purchase for the format in the future.

maybe they mean massively oversized as in the dimensions, and not thickness. I don't think DC has ever done an Absolute as large as they'd need to for this in one volume. 20 issues max max max.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
If they limited Absolute Editions to books with noteworthy art, there would only be about a dozen of them.

I feel like generally the Absolutes are picked for books where the art is at least part of the reason the book is well-liked. But yeah, you're right, there are a handful of books that have gotten Absolute editions only for the popularity of the writing, even though they have very mediocre art.

Like sillymonkey said, the "massively oversized" is 99% likely referring to the fact that Absolute editions have bigger pages rather than a bigger page count.

Owzers

I'll pass, then. How many absolute editions would Y require? 2? 3?

I'll keep my deluxe hardcovers.

they've done 3 volumes of Promethea, 2 of Planetary which each one was way too small, and 5 of Sandman. They could go either way, DC is fine with 12 issue Absolutes.

Speaking of Morrison, I'm all about dat non-Gary Frank dark Hulking Shazam he's got Cameron Stewart doing for his Pixar-esque Thunderworld story.

they even got the eyes right

Amazing.

Can't wait for Multiversity, I know I'm gonna love it. That article on CBR about the panel was great.

I've read like half of my comics for the week and I'll say my top 3 already

1. Batman 33
2. Batman and Robin 33
3 tied between Batman 33, and Batman and Robin 33.

In all seriousness Tomasi and Synder are just killing it for me. I think Snyder and Capullo's run are going to easily become definitive runs that people talk about, with Zero Year being one of those must read Batman arcs. I feel like everything Tomasi has been doing makes a nice companion piece to that.

I know none of that is controversial or even interesting, and that it's been said by others already this week. I just had to express my agreement with it. It feels like a damn good time to be a Batman fan.

Finished the SP on Injustice and played around with some of the other characters. I think I'm going to be all about Deathstroke, Green Arrow, and Zatanna. I really wanted to be all about Batgirl, but her regular combos and moves just aren't gelling with me.

Can we do a big like room tournament type thing with Injustice?

Vibranium

Banned
A Comics GAF Injustice tourney would be great, I would get my ass kicked but it's all in good fun. I really suck at the directional inputs with combos and special moves....

Fuck yes. I need my Shunka fix.

Can you honestly imagine an Absolute version of that splash last page where he's eating at that run down shithole, feet curled under the chair?

It's the single most evocative page in comics history. I feel like if they released it as an Absolute Edition, any store carrying it would instantly explode the second it hit the shelves.

Owzers

Wasn't Promethea supposed to have an omnibus that then disappeared into oblivion?

i forgot about it since i bought the Absolutes awhile ago, it was supposed to have some nifty longer than normal length-wise book with big page spreads....don't know what happened to it. Some say it lives in the marsh and feeds on baby alligators at night.

Zombine

Banned
You know, I hope this story I'm writing gets picked up. I'm being intricate as fuck and making sure that I don't step on the continuity of the universe. So. Many. Notes.

Went to a small little used book store today.

Found The Captain America by Ed Brubaker omnibus, for 15$.

It's out of print, and 500$ used on Amazon.

DO I SELL IT?!

Zombine

Banned
Man. I almost forgot how incredible Scalped was.

So when do I get the script? I gotta at least get the character designs down.
:p

I have a special project for you in the works lol

Edit: I say we have our tourney the only way you should ever play a fighting game—completely trashed.

Went to a small little used book store today.

Found The Captain America by Ed Brubaker omnibus, for 15$.

It's out of print, and 500$ used on Amazon.

DO I SELL IT?!

I got that, and the Death of Captain America one that's going for $250

and the Astonishing X-Men omnibus that's going for $220

sell it now before it comes back into print like New X-Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom