• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on, guys. Just because SDCC is going on (and WonderFest for us figure collectors) doesn't mean the world stops. Time for list!

Batman Eternal #17
Harley Quinn #8
Wake #10
Black Science #7
East of West #14
Fatale #24
Low #1
Cyclops #3
Guardians of the Galaxy #17
Hawkeye #19
Secret Avengers #6
Uncanny Avengers #22
Uncanny X-Men #24

Damn 4.99 books.

AQUAMAN ANNUAL #2 $4.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #17 $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #3 $4.99
HARLEY QUINN #8 $2.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE #32 $3.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #13 (WEEKLY) $2.99
RED LANTERNS ANNUAL #1 $4.99
WAKE #10 (MR) $2.99
BLACK SCIENCE #7 (MR) $3.50
FATALE #24 (MR) $4.99
OUTCAST BY KIRKMAN & AZACETA #2 (MR) $2.99

Messi

Like you didn't stuff the ballot box
iBu6PxYycBjep.png

chappelle-show-smh-o.gif

I resent that accusation

List

Batman Eternal #17
Detective Comics Annual #3
Harley Quinn #8 Book of the week
Black Science #7
Warrior Chicken Poyo #1
Cowl #3
Low #1 Hype Hype Hype
Ghost Rider #5
Hawkgal #19 IS THIS REAL LIFE
Secret Avengers #6

Runaways Complete Collection vol 1
Ame Comi Girls Vol 2 - Rise of Brainiac

Bii

I just assumed Black Science #7 was released a few days ago because the SDCC variant cover was out. Guess I could read my copy now...

Messi

I turned awkwardly opening the fridge and now I am in excruciating pain when I extend my knee. What do I do. It's 2am. What did I do to myself. Help.

Messi

Monday lists become Sunday lists. Sunday lists become Saturday lists. Where does the madness end?!

I have my list for next week too.

Batman Eternal #18
Detective Comics #34
Grayson #2
Black Widow #9
Legendary Star Lord #2
Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man #4
Punisher #9
Rocket Racoon #2
She Hulk #7
Superior Spider-Man #32

Hard to say unfortunately, but for now use R.I.C.E:
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Thank you

My roommate who is a DC reader like me doesn't know who Ian Bertram is and when I sent him a picture of his crazy eyed Talia/Damian his response was: "What kind of [redacted r-word.org] drew that?"

Showed him the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman: "Needs more color."

Real world talk.

kd-z

The Star Wars announcements are cool. Kieron Gillen + Mark Waid + Jason Aaron = dream team of writers. They can do character, action, theme and make stories fun while also keeping them meaningful.

I would be excited about Cassaday if not for his deadline problems. I believe I have never seen Terry Dodson's art, so no opinion on him, but it kind of sucks that Larroca is doing Vader. Hope they give him someone good on inks and colours, I actually quite enjoyed the way he drew Cable's X-Force in the recent series.

On the other hand I can't for the love of God be excited about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Reasons:
1) The title sounds like a fantasy short story I would write in grade school.
2) Man of Steel was just a major disappointment, it didn't get Superman at all.
3) We finally get Batman and Superman on screen together and they are fighting? Come on. Also, a huge part of what made their fight in TDKR awesome was their backstory. Right now I feel like, regarding the movie, someone at Warner/DC was like "well OBVIOUSLY Superman and Batman are opposites! One is dark and the other is... slightly less dark! Huge difference! One kills and the other doesn't!!!... wait, I thought we were comparing Captain America and Punisher?"

Of course I could be (and hope that I am) wrong and the movie will actually be base on Byrne's Man of Steel #3 which was fantastic.

Oh, and one more thing:
- Yo guys, why aren't we getting any of those Avengers bucks? We have as many of those stupid (Martian Manhunter lawl!!!) costumed fuckers as Disney and Marvel do!
- Huh, you're absolutely right! Let's make a dark movie in which Batman and Superman kick the shit out of each other while grimacing like Karl Urban in Dredd 3D since their lives are so, like, though and hard, man. All those Avengers moneys will be ours!!!

:<

Chinner

Banned
my local comic shop was the only one in europe to be shortlisted in that Will Eisner Spirit of Comics retailer award thingy. pretty dope.

I like a lot of the visuals and it was nice to actually see a superman where power and action were represented. Some glorious Kryptonian vs Kryptonian power level fights and action sequences.

But the movie is lacking in a lot of ways and the writing struggles. There are some things i think Snyder was trying to pull off IMO (particularly as it relates to a common criticism of the film, the damage Superman lets the fighting inflict on the city/people) but just couldn't bring it together. It is heavily flawed.

I'm worried the same will happen for BvS. But damn if it won't look cool.

Glorious like news footage of 9/11 was glorious. The fights in that movie were unconscionable. I never knew what a grotesque difference dust and rubble makes but if you compare that movie to The Avengers, it's clear that it should never be in a superhero movie, ESPECIALLY not if you're going to have your leads make out in front of it.

I liked the flashback stuff a LOT, but man, the rest of that movie should not exist. Not ever.

Read the Joker OGN by Azzarello last night. It was a cool little story told from the perspective of one of his followers/members. It didn't really add anything to the Joker character but with the phenomenal art, it gave it a very realistic and highly graphic look that added to the atmosphere of the character. It made the Joker more shocking. I liked it.

kd-z

Good point. Except
she was not a loved one yet + it didn't really look like he was seeking solace, more just hooking up

my local comic shop was the only one in europe to be shortlisted in that Will Eisner Spirit of Comics retailer award thingy. pretty dope.
My shop won that a few years ago IIRC. They've got a huge trophy above the register area
Read the Joker OGN by Azzarello last night. It was a cool little story told from the perspective of one of his followers/members. It didn't really add anything to the Joker character but with the phenomenal art, it gave it a very realistic and highly graphic look that added to the atmosphere of the character. It made the Joker more shocking. I liked it.
I've had that in my backlog forever lol. I'll try to read it when I get home and I'll post what I think of it

And in "Oh, you" news, San Diego Comic Con sends a cease and desist order over the use or "Comic Con" despite there being a rejected trademark over the vague fucking term used by hundreds of cons?

Good point. Except
she was not a loved one yet + it didn't really look like he was seeking solace, more just hooking up

It was obvious he had grown to care for her throughout the movie. So I'm going to have to fundamentally disagree that is was "just hooking up".

There's no excuse for the tornado scene though.

Why do you mean? Pa Kent
gave up his life so that the truth about Clark wouldn't be revealed, something he feared would lead to bad things happening, as people were unready or unwilling to accept the presence of a Godlike being walking in their midst.

Zombine

Banned
This might be the best week of the year:

Bodies #1
Detective Comics Annual
Harley Quinn #8
Sandman Overture #3
Vertigo Magenta #1
Wake #10
Black Science #7
Low #1
Outcast #2
Hawkeye #19
Cyclops #3

fertygo

Why do you mean? Pa Kent
gave up his life so that the truth about Clark wouldn't be revealed, something he feared would lead to bad things happening, as people were unready or unwilling to accept the presence of a Godlike being walking in their midst.

Whatever the logic, that scene is so cringe-worthy, all because saving dog... smh

Yeah, I thought MoS was the perfect tale for the most powerful being on Earth, first day on the job.

I fully agree with this. People keep talking about how Superman wouldn't let this or that happen and such, but it's his first fucking day on the job. How good were you on the first day you did something.

Personally I really liked MoS, it was for me, the first Superman movie I actually liked. I thought there was a lot they finally got right with the character.

I don't know man. I'm just tired of where they are going right now. I may pull uncanny for a while, but I haven't decided. I'm honestly having too much fun with DC.

I'm honestly fascinated, as an outside observer, how this "seasonal" constant remembering works out for them. I'm also really curious how much this books vs. movies bleed over and shifting focuses are going to play out.

Spike, we're supposed to PM you for the Book of the Month right?

Yes you PM Spike.

Because the 100th anniversary issue was so bad, it's soured him on all X books for ever.

So I should read it?

I wish the Marvel Unlimited thing told you the order of everything so I know what to read next after an event.

What do I read next to get the follow up of Silent War?

Zombine

Banned
I'm honestly fascinated, as an outside observer, how this "seasonal" constant remembering works out for them. I'm also really curious how much this books vs. movies bleed over and shifting focuses are going to play out.

Marvel has been making the mistake of shoehorning in stories and character designs from films that have no place in the MCU, just because after a regular person goes to see Guardians of the Galaxy and it turns out to be awesome, the bro-dude has an epiphany that "woah, comics are cool! Remember when I had that limited edition Spiderman with the cool cover as a kid?" And they pick up an issue of Guardians because it looks like the movie, they hate it or think it's stupid because you have to read, and then they are done with it and we are stuck with a shitty arc and some weird costume for a while.

Also, spoiler alert, Professor X is coming back. Baldy isn't dead, and he's going to come back pissed. I'm just waiting for the event that nobody cares about that will be written by BMB that goes nowhere and gets a day of news coverage. Every comic retailer will order like 1000 copies and they will complain about having to deal with Diamond. Event success.

Zombine

Banned
Man of Steel was so shit LMAO

Bro, I waited a complete year after the movie came out to watch it on HBO with my girlfriend. We both loved Krypton and the bird things. After that, the movie falls apart and becomes a disjointed mess. We fell asleep and had no desire to start it ever again.

Also, we had a giggle at this:

jonathantornado.gif

For fucks sake.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Man of Steel is a turd of a movie. Never in a Superman origin story have Ma and Pa Kent been so stupidly ineffective as parents.

Just got Marvel Unlimited for a month for 99c, what comics do you lot recommend?

Daredevil by Mark Waid
Hawkeye
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
Avengers Arena
Journey Into Mystery by Kieron Gillen
Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen (sort-of sequel to Journey Into Mystery)
Immortal Iron Fist
X-Factor by Peter David
Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron

SoilBreak

Banned
Just got Marvel Unlimited for a month for 99c, what comics do you lot recommend?

Thor: God Of Thunder Jason Aaron

Fantastic Four Mark Waid

Black Panther Christoper Priest

Captain America Ed Brubaker

Doctor Strange: The Oath Brian K. Vaughan

Young Avengers Allan Heinberg

I am on my phone but check out my post in the MU thread. Off the top of my head:

Ultimate Spidey - Bendis
Daredevil - Waid
Runaways - Vaughn
Astonishing X-Men - Whedon
Hawkeye - Fraction

Also

Spider-Man/Human Torch
Incredible Hercules
Silver Surfer : Requiem
Greg Rucka's The Punisher

Status
Not open for further replies.