• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
PAXrough39tuepm-7dd63.jpg

What is this HxH?

kd-z

Yeah, I will give you that page also. I liked that.
:)

Onto a different topic: Rucka's Punisher is GOOD STUFF. Seriously. Marco Checchetto's linework is very impressive, too. Solid Frank looks awesome, so does Cole-Alves. One gripe I have is that the action is very hectic and it's often hard to tell what is happening. But the story itself is great, I just read the whole thing on Unlimited in one sitting. I wanted to spend this evening with Fire Emblem but I think I'll just read War Zone instead :p

DCs adversion to using hero names on TV I so annoying . Starting watching arrow and he's called "the hood"

I await flash being called "the bolt"

His name evolves over time. First it was the Vigilante. Then the Hood. Then the Arrow. Also, Flash
is called Flash in the pilot.

If you're also referencing Smallville never calling Clark Superboy or Superman, I believe that is due to the lawsuit they were facing at the time.

Also Ollie not wearing a mask is another pet peeve.

Just wait.

Every time someone posts a full page spread from All Star Superman I laugh out loud. Hideous stuff.

My two favorite Supes stories (with art that doesn't look like it was drawn by a six year old) are Secret Identity and Red Son.

Every time someone posts a full page spread from All Star Superman I laugh out loud. Hideous stuff.

My two favorite Supes stories (with art that doesn't look like it was drawn by a six year old) are Secret Identity and Red Son.

The ideas in a book can be good even if the art isn't ones personal taste. All Star Superman nailed the feel of Superman quite well.

Read some really good stuff the last few days guys. Already wrote about Black Science & Umbral. Also read Pretty Deadly volume 1. First thing I've read by Deconnick, and bar maybe being a little too symbolic and vague at times, I really really liked it. Great art, doesn't hold your hand too much, isn't afraid to deliver a complex character driven story. I really liked the pretty unique folklorey history and rules they built for the world. As an unendingly huge dark tower fan, I love anything that is dark fantasy western but this was a good shot. As I mentioned, the only thin gI hold against it is there were one or two lingering things at the end I was like hmm. Did this go over my head, or was it too vague, or what? Perhaps a reread with most of the answers in hand will make those clear though. Really really good, would definitely check out Deconnick again (bitch planet doesn't necessarily appeal to me though).

Also read Velvet volume 1. Yea, I mean, what can you say about Brubaker at this point? The beginning of his Cap run was one of the two major books that I got into when I got back into comics as a teenager. He really speaks to everything I like about the genres he tends to write, so I knew I would love it before I opened it, and loved it so I did. Top class espionage, and I feel incredibly spoiled by Image these days.

Last thing I read was Sledgehammer 44. It's a mignolaverse book, and plays within the earliest years of WW2, before Hellboy arrived and the BPRD 1940s books. I liked it, some fantastic art. In the greater context of Mignola books, I certainly think it's on the lower rung of things, both in terms of how much I liked it and how important it is. But still, I liked it, and if you're looking for more Mignola, you wouldn't be going wrong with it.

Also, off topic, I finally finished Christine (by Stephen King). Been working on that one for awhile, mostly just trying to find the time to sit down and really enjoy a novel, and also it was a slow starter. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good horror yarn. I guess that's me about 15 books in now since I decided I was going to go back to the very beginning of King's bibliography and read em all. Pet Sematary up next, pretty excited for that one.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

Read some really good stuff the last few days guys. Already wrote about Black Science & Umbral. Also read Pretty Deadly volume 1. First thing I've read by Deconnick, and bar maybe being a little too symbolic and vague at times, I really really liked it. Great art, doesn't hold your hand too much, isn't afraid to deliver a complex character driven story. I really liked the pretty unique folklorey history and rules they built for the world. As an unendingly huge dark tower fan, I love anything that is dark fantasy western but this was a good shot. As I mentioned, the only thin gI hold against it is there were one or two lingering things at the end I was like hmm. Did this go over my head, or was it too vague, or what? Perhaps a reread with most of the answers in hand will make those clear though. Really really good, would definitely check out Deconnick again (bitch planet doesn't necessarily appeal to me though).

Also read Velvet volume 1. Yea, I mean, what can you say about Brubaker at this point? The beginning of his Cap run was one of the two major books that I got into when I got back into comics as a teenager. He really speaks to everything I like about the genres he tends to write, so I knew I would love it before I opened it, and loved it so I did. Top class espionage, and I feel incredibly spoiled by Image these days.

Last thing I read was Sledgehammer 44. It's a mignolaverse book, and plays within the earliest years of WW2, before Hellboy arrived and the BPRD 1940s books. I liked it, some fantastic art. In the greater context of Mignola books, I certainly think it's on the lower rung of things, both in terms of how much I liked it and how important it is. But still, I liked it, and if you're looking for more Mignola, you wouldn't be going wrong with it.

Also, off topic, I finally finished Christine (by Stephen King). Been working on that one for awhile, mostly just trying to find the time to sit down and really enjoy a novel, and also it was a slow starter. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good horror yarn. I guess that's me about 15 books in now since I decided I was going to go back to the very beginning of King's bibliography and read em all. Pet Sematary up next, pretty excited for that one.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

Shoot, I was planning on doing that with King too. Dang! I was up to Firestarter, IIRC. You've inspired me to give it another go!

Shoot, I was planning on doing that with King too. Dang! I was up to Firestarter, IIRC. You've inspired me to give it another go!

Fuck man, really! That's incredible haha. Yea, we should totally support each other on that in here then ha, some times I fall off for a good month if I don't get going fast enough on the next book. I think I'm maybe a year into this declaration. Firestarter is great btw, definitely plays with some of his ideas from earlier books and gets more ambitious, it's a real treat. You definitely want to get on to that one for sure.

"Boy, Ryan Sook's covers really tie Futures End together in a real 52 kind of way. Who do we have lined up for Worlds End? Why isn't anyone looking me in the eye right now?"

Solicits say:

EARTH 2: WORLD'S END #1
Daniel H. Wilson, Marguerite Bennett & Mike Johnson (writers)
Ardian Syaf, Jorge Jimenez, Eddy Barrows & Paulo Siquiera (artists)
Ardian Syaf & Jaime Mendoza (cover)

EARTH 2: WORLD'S END #2
Eddy Barrows, Tyler Kirkham & Paulo Siquiera (artists)
Ardian Syaf & Vicente Cifuentes (cover)

EARTH 2: WORLD'S END #3
Eddy Barrows, Tyler Kirkham, Ed Benes & Jorge Jimenez (artists)
Ardian Syaf & Jonathan Glapion (cover)

EARTH 2: WORLD'S END #4
Eddy Barrows, Tyler Kirkham, Ed Benes, Jorge Jimenez & Paulo Siquiera (artists)
Ardian Syaf (cover)

E2-WE-1-VAR-5d1e4.jpg

The first book will be simple titled "Star Wars" as written by Jason Aaron and drawn by John Cassaday. The book will take place after the destruction of the first Death Star as Luke, Han and Leia face off against a resurgent Darth Vader.

Following in February is "Star Wars: Darth Vader" by Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca with covers by Adi Granov. This series takes the pitch of the first one and flips it – focusing on Vader as he struggles to regain control over the Empire's troops after his defeat at the end of the first film.

Finally, Marsh sees the arrival of "Star Wars: Princess Leia" by Mark Waid and Terry Dodson. Also taking place after the battle of Yavin, the miniseries will focus on the princess without a world as her home planet of Alderaan was destroyed at the start of the first film.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54386

Following in February is "Star Wars: Darth Vader" by Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca with covers by Adi Granov. This series takes the pitch of the first one and flips it – focusing on Vader as he struggles to regain control over the Empire's troops after his defeat at the end of the first film.

Wat. How is that a fucking issue for Vader? He just chokes a bitch and orders a Star Destroyer to level anyone who doesn't do what they are fucking told.

I've never seen any of Star Wars.

What the fuck. Log off and go fix that. Now.

What sort of monster are you?

Do they have TVs in Ireland?

Go watch 4-6, then 1, and you've watched all of Star Wars in proper order.

Holy fucking fuck. In for all of those Star Wars books. The ones from Dark Horse that I really enjoyed were Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic. I blame Legacy for getting me back into comics.

Vibranium

Banned
Also Ollie not wearing a mask is another pet peeve.

I am still on Season 1 but I know what happens there.

I fully expect Oliver to be accept the idea of Green Arrow by S4 or 5 if the show goes that far.
Malcolm Merlyn already suggested the moniker though Ollie himself claimed it was "lame".

Despite what Amell has said, I also expect to see him eventually grow the classic goatee as he gets older

Vibranium

Banned
Wat. How is that a fucking issue for Vader? He just chokes a bitch and orders a Star Destroyer to level anyone who doesn't do what they are fucking told.

I dunno, a lot of the Empire guys had their own agendas and only fell in line when Vader was present (and yes he would choke a bitch) or had spies in the ranks. After a tough defeat, I'd imagine there would be serious talk about mutiny. I think I may be in for this if the art's good, Gillen's Iron Man run was not even an option for me, but maybe Star Wars is more his thing.

Waid and Aaron are seriously tempting since I pull books from both, may check them out.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Whoa.
I've never been the biggest Star Wars fan, but those are some huge names. I'll probably end up picking up the trades for at least Waid and Aaron's stuff as long as they're good.

The ideas in a book can be good even if the art isn't ones personal taste. All Star Superman nailed the feel of Superman quite well.

This is true, but I read novels when I'm looking for fleshed out stories and characters. Art is what distinguishes comics from books. I'm not interested in reading a comic book script, because it won't compete with a good book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom