• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

Can you post some examples of the racism?

Genuinely curious about that.

This guy right here.
Though he'd be still be terrible even if he didn't look like that.

Captain-America-15-Preview-2-9db40.jpg

Zombine

Banned
I just recently watched Stardust again (I fucking love that movie) and I can't get over how awesome Charlie Cox is going to be as Matt.

It is supposed to start filming like...right here for a duration of the season. I'm getting anxious because it needs to happen now and will be my lunch time entertainment.

I just recently watched Stardust again (I fucking love that movie) and I can't get over how awesome Charlie Cox is going to be as Matt.

Ever read the novel? I think I liked the book ending a bit more, only because it felt like a more natural conclusion to the story. The movie ending
felt like it was one of those forced happy endings that film adaptations often get
. Both were quite good, though.

So because he receives his powers from some mystical dragon and dresses up like a warlord, Remender is racist?

It's racist because people aren't happy unless they're bitching about something.

MG310

Dragon-Powered Asian man dressed like a warlord screams incessantly about taking down the Capitalist West.

I just think it's a weak and easy stereotype to use for a villain. Seems like they could have gone a more interesting direction with him with his Shield agent origins.

I like what Remender's done with Cap otherwise.

Dragon-Powered Asian man dressed like a warlord screams incessantly about taking down the Capitalist West.

I just think it's a weak and easy stereotype to use for a villain. Seems like they could have gone a more interesting direction with him with his Shield agent origins.

>.>

It may not be creative, but giving an Asian villain a motif in line with Asian culture is hardly reason to cry racism.

ElNarez

Banned
I totally get what Remender was going for. Iron Nail was pretty much a 40s propaganda comic villain updated for 2014. Except here's the thing: some ideas are not worth updating, and making a comic where Captain America saves the free world from a racist caricature -and, come the fuck on, it's a pretty racist depiction of a chinese man- is one of those ideas.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's racist because people aren't happy unless they're bitching about something.

More importantly, shitty whiny twitter people aren't happy unless they're trying to get somebody fired due to their own inability to comprehend context.

For the record, I only like white heroes who get secret Asian dragon powers. That's why I support Kaare Andrews' seminal comic book Iron Fist! Super rad, super not racist.

Zombine

Banned
I just want to make sure this isn't a bunch of white dudes getting outraged on behalf of people who may or may not give a shit. I personally see "dapper evil dude" over "racist depiction of an Asian Man."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I just want to make sure this isn't a bunch of white dudes getting outraged on behalf of people who may of may not give a shit. I personally see "dapper evil dude" over "racist depiction of an Asian Man."

Welcome to twitter, my dude.

MG310

I definitely wouldn't want him to get fired over that (or the Jet thing). I just hope we're done with the Iron Nail because in his current form he's boring.

On a side note - Is Winter Soldier: The Bitter March any good? I bet Ran Shen is a hell of a lot more interesting in that.

I finally got through more books today. All caught up on the issues I have for Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, Punisher, She-Hulk and Harley Quinn. Didn't get into my Captain Marvel backlog or Wicked and Divine before we started to get a crowd at work.

Join the club. I read Starlight 1-4 and that was about it.

I finished Black Science volume 1, Rocket Raccoon, and New Warriors and a few issues of Dan Slott's She-Hulk.

I'll power through more Shulkie tomorrow and read volume 3 of Batwoman but I wanted to knock out more than this lol

Zombine

Banned
I finished Black Science volume 1, Rocket Raccoon, and New Warriors and a few issues of Dan Slott's She-Hulk.

I'll power through more Shulkie tomorrow and read volume 3 of Batwoman but I wanted to knock out more than this lol

Okay you reminded me, I read Rocket Raccoon also. That book was very pretty with an average script.

Owzers

Had it been anyone but Remender or Hickman and i'd have dropped Cap after the Iron Nail arc. I wasn't offended, i just thought it wasn't going anywhere interesting.

Man. I think I found my 2nd favorite Batman after Snyder/Capullo. Doug Moench/Jones have crafted a Batman that is right up my ally that also really shares some aspects of Snyder/Capullo. Jones art in particular is unique but if I had to compare it would be a mix of Capullo and Tradd Moore.

I have read 2 more story arcs, one deals with Killer Croc and Swamp Thing. It's a really cool story. Killer Croc is in Arkham and some mysterious plant helps break him out and tells him to seek something.

The second story dealt with Scarecrow and if I didn't know it was written in 1995, I thought it would have been a great commentary on bullying, school violence, and current politics. Really smart story.

Bii

My vacation's almost over and I've barely read anything... I knew this would happen.

I've been powering through my backlog like it's nobody's business. Almost caught up with my floppies, I can feel it. My trades, on the other hand, is a different story.

I just replaced all four tires on my car, so that took a dent into my comic budget.

I've been powering through my backlog like it's nobody's business. Almost caught up with my floppies, I can feel it. My trades, on the other hand, is a different story.
I'm up to date on pretty much all of my floppies except for Batman Eternal. It's so easy to fall behind with a weekly book

My trades? Hahaha.... I think I have at least 30 books I need to read
Adult responsibilities :/

Cars go to shit and need maintenance at the worst possible time.

Real talk.

So because he receives his powers from some mystical dragon and dresses up like a warlord, Remender is racist?
I don't think anyone's calling him a racist, but it seems the type of thing someone would do if they thought they were above racism, when that's not exactly the case

I'm speculating though, I've never read that stuff

MG310

My trades? Hahaha.... I think I have at least 30 books I need to read

This is what prevents me from putting in more IST orders even after I fill up the cart. I've been carting the same 4 or 5 trades around in my bag since early June but haven't had a chance to get into them yet.

ElNarez

Banned
More importantly, shitty whiny twitter people aren't happy unless they're trying to get somebody fired due to their own inability to comprehend context.

For the record, I only like white heroes who get secret Asian dragon powers. That's why I support Kaare Andrews' seminal comic book Iron Fist! Super rad, super not racist.

For the record also, Danny Rand is totally giving his lady a strong style kung-fu cunnilingus in this latest issue, right? Like, that was what was implied and I'm not making this up, right?

As an Irish dude I would not be offended by a comic titled Paddy O'Toole & The Shillelagh of Justice.

Yeah but like, I feel we've kinda moved on from depicting Irish people as xenophobic caricatures with all the clichés that implies, whereas depicting people of asian descent as dragons and honor obsessed is still a really big thing we should move the fuck away from? It feels like kinda shitty cultural appropriation. Then again, I'm a French dude, so maybe I don't know what the fuck, but like, it feels kinda wrong. Either way it could, and in fact should, have been done a lot better.

Filthy Slug

For the record also, Danny Rand is totally giving his lady a strong style kung-fu cunnilingus in this latest issue, right? Like, that was what was implied and I'm not making this up, right?

Yeah, dude employed the Thirsty Dog technique. She's lucky he didn't use his Iron Fist. This book is unafraid of twitter.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
My vacation's almost over and I've barely read anything... I knew this would happen.

Story of my life. Any time I only have the time to read one or two issues, I love reading comics and wish I had time to read through the whole series. But any time I have the whole day off, "Comics? Mehhhhhhhh."

Man. I think I found my 2nd favorite Batman after Snyder/Capullo. Doug Moench/Jones have crafted a Batman that is right up my ally that also really shares some aspects of Snyder/Capullo. Jones art in particular is unique but if I had to compare it would be a mix of Capullo and Tradd Moore.

I have read 2 more story arcs, one deals with Killer Croc and Swamp Thing. It's a really cool story. Killer Croc is in Arkham and some mysterious plant helps break him out and tells him to seek something.

The second story dealt with Scarecrow and if I didn't know it was written in 1995, I thought it would have been a great commentary on bullying, school violence, and current politics. Really smart story.

Thanks for the continuing Moench/Jones Batman review!

Filthy Slug

Here's a pretty thorough runthrough of how old Ian/Jet are. Also pretty harsh on John Romita Jr's ability to draw people ages 1-20.

http://moneystcroix.tumblr.com/post/90703508863/re-rick-remender-alleged-statutory-rape-and-jet

Weird how even people in this thread who read it chalked the age thing up to a poorly and quickly inserted panel or two, like it was a sloppy afterthought. Reading this it seems pretty obvious that that ain't a 14 year old kid.

I think this thing can be deaded now.

It's not the discussion so much as the constant harping on it. Nothing can happen without PoliticallyCorrectGAF being there to complain about it.
every time a discussions starts up, you're there to decry "PC GAF." At this point you get madder than anyone in this supposed "OutrageGAF."

That said...
Weird how even people in this thread who read it chalked the age thing up to a poorly and quickly inserted panel or two, like it was a sloppy afterthought. Reading this it seems pretty obvious that that ain't a 14 year old kid.

I think this thing can be deaded now.
again I don't read this book but this just seems like a silly situation right here. reading comprehension, man

Savitar

Just read the Rat Queens Sass and Sorcery TPB.

What a great freaking read that was.

I was laughing half the time.

If you people don't read this, you all suck dwarf cocks.

Just read the Rat Queens Sass and Sorcery TPB.

What a great freaking read that was.

I was laughing half the time.

If you people don't read this, you all suck dwarf cocks.

I was lttp on Rat Queens, but yes, it's awesome. Now you can go and buy the most recent issue and wait with the rest of us!

I highly recommend Sex Criminals if you haven't read it already

important psa:
ZCs9qmQ.jpg

we complain about omnibuses all the time, but FUCK actually trying to read a glued omnibus. it's a pain. I hear the second New Teen Titans Omni is fine though? I hope so.

New Teen Titans is kind of a cool read through though as a fan of the cartoon. it's very much a product of its time in terms of dialogue and designs for sure, but I can put up with that stuff so it's pretty fun so far.

Peter David Spider-man 2099 sale on ComiXology.
son of a bitch comixology (e: actually 10 issues is pretty damn manageable)

and goddammit i bought like half of those Monkeybrain #1s with the intent of picking up the rest if i liked them, and then i didn't get around to reading them. i blame the quality of High Crimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom