• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story of my life. Any time I only have the time to read one or two issues, I love reading comics and wish I had time to read through the whole series. But any time I have the whole day off, "Comics? Mehhhhhhhh."

Thanks for the continuing Moench/Jones Batman review!

Just read the Two-Face arc. It was another fantastic small little story. Now, that I have read a bunch of these little stories. It's like reading a 22 minute episode of the animated series. It just has that cartoony, serious but weird light-hearted feel that the show had. It may sound like the book is just a collection of stories but they are serialized. One story will mention events and details of past stories.

PS - Batman fighting lions must be a thing.

Bii

Speaking of which...

Batman #31
14383446187_9fb4032216_o.jpg

I know a few of you have mixed feelings regarding Zero Year but I'm still enjoying it. Snyder's writing is not as strong as it was when Zero Year started but I think Capullo's art overshadows it. Yeah, that's Batman with a rear naked choke hold on a lion.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Well, here's my list:

Books of the week:
Daredevil #5
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #13
Batman #33

Also picking up:
100th Anniversary Special #1 Spider-Man
All-New X-Men #29
Amazing X-Men #9
Avengers Undercover #7
Batgirl #33
Captain Marvel #5
Deadpool #31
Detective Comics #33
Original Sin #5.1
Original Sins #3
Shutter #4

Possibly checking out:
Spider-Man 2099 #1
Spread #1, maybe?

Just recently started going back through the New 52 Batman runs, and I've actually got really into it. I'd read a bit of the way into it and dropped it for some reason, now I'm back on board. Looking forward to the conclusion of Zero Year too.

Also, I know it's been a couple of weeks, but every time I think about the art in the All-New Ultimates, I shudder. What the hell is going on there? I was so on board for the concept but with Kitty looking like a man and Ganke looking absolutely nothing like what the character's supposed to be, I just can't stand to read it. It's a shame as I love Miles. I already pull too many books though, that one's going.

'Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant' Sooo, is this really a problem? A mean facebook conversation between some german ppl came to my mind.

VFnXwok.jpg

Sloppy translation:
#1: Iiih manga meeting at the railroad station in poppenbüttel. [...] Such freaks
#2: holy shit... these people really have no life
#3: are these people still there? yesterday they were at 'saseler market'... I nearly hit a tree because of them
#4: It's just once a year, right?
#5: Isn't this anime con this weekend ??? hahahaha but it's not sooo many people though ;)
#6: OMG.... hahahahaha I don't wanna know how they look like at the manga meeting
#7: No, not so many people xD It was just a small part of the group. They just don't take one bus, so that you have to look at them for 4 hours ^^
#8: Be thankful that is was just for 4 hours, I worked for 7 hours at 'sasel market' and 1000 of those freaks were at the ice cream parlor for the whole day -.- They don't just look crappy and are stupid - they smell so bad of sweat... I nearly puked!

Apart from the fact that people who spend their life on facebook are obviously the better people who are known for their extreme tolerance - do people at comic and/ or manga cons really tend to smell? ;-)

Damn, Spike, this is your most conversation-stirring thread title yet

but yeah while i think it's a bit exaggerated, it's apparently fairly common that con-goers smell. Of course I'll probably find out that i was wrong the hard way in a few weeks

Messi

'Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant' Sooo, is this really a problem? A mean facebook conversation between some german ppl came to my mind.

VFnXwok.jpg

Sloppy translation:
#1: Iiih manga meeting at the railroad station in poppenbüttel. [...] Such freaks
#2: holy shit... these people really have no life
#3: are these people still there? yesterday they were at 'saseler market'... I nearly hit a tree because of them
#4: It's just once a year, right?
#5: Isn't this anime con this weekend ??? hahahaha but it's not sooo many people though ;)
#6: OMG.... hahahahaha I don't wanna know how they look like at the manga meeting
#7: No, not so many people xD It was just a small part of the group. They just don't take one bus, so that you have to look at them for 4 hours ^^
#8: Be thankful that is was just for 4 hours, I worked for 7 hours at 'sasel market' and 1000 of those freaks were at the ice cream parlor for the whole day -.- They don't just look crappy and are stupid - they smell so bad of sweat... I nearly puked!

Apart from the fact that people who spend their life on facebook are obviously the better people who are known for their extreme tolerance - do people at comic and/ or manga cons really tend to smell? ;-)

What a bunch of sad fuckers judging people for having harmless hobbies.

fertygo

Yeah they have a fair few books that are spinning their wheels. But I'd rather them have tried these ideas than be stuck with what dc is trying to do on a mid level. All of those books read the exact same.
Mid level DC bòok is truly boring indeed, meanwhile I feel the opposite for recent marvel book, their B/C tier book is the one I enjoy most.

Mafro

This latest twitter campaign against Remender is hilarious. People who can't read properly getting angry over nothing.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I think there's a tendency for places full of people to get very warm, and then people start to sweat, and it all just adds up. If somewhere's very busy, like comic-con, you're also going to get a lot closer to those sweaty people. It's an unfortunate side-effect of having that many people in a space really. But yeah, there's always going to be people there who have bad hygiene regardless that are going to make things worse.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just read the Two-Face arc. It was another fantastic small little story. Now, that I have read a bunch of these little stories. It's like reading a 22 minute episode of the animated series. It just has that cartoony, serious but weird light-hearted feel that the show had. It may sound like the book is just a collection of stories but they are serialized. One story will mention events and details of past stories.

Ooh. That all sounds pretty great.

Holy crap Bii what have I been missing with this book! Those colors are gorgeous.

Seriously! I've seen snippets of Snyder Batman art here and there (mostly from Bii's other posts) and it's been nice obviously, but nothing as gorgeous and awesome as that. It's so colorful that it looks like it came from an Image book. And Capullo's style is top notch.

Zombine

Banned

Seriously! I've seen snippets of Snyder Batman art here and there (mostly from Bii's other posts) and it's been nice obviously, but nothing as gorgeous and awesome as that. It's so colorful that it looks like it came from an Image book. And Capullo's style is top notch.

I dropped it initially because the first two issues weren't exactly fantastic, then the price hike happened and I gave it up. It was clearly a mistake I made.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This latest twitter campaign against Remender is hilarious. People who can't read properly getting angry over nothing.

Was this the thing about the girl having sex in Cap? I heard about this on iFanboy this morning, seems like a storm in a teacup. Bloggers gonna blog.

Messi

Korupt, I finally bought Jokers Daughter #1. That was a fantastically wierd look at a mentally deranged person. She is so broken that she doesn't even know who she is, desperate for any kind of acknowledgement. It's a good look at how idolizing people can turn nasty. She is just a kid who has been inspired by Joker and is trying to convince herself that she can be that level of crazy. Maybe then he will accept her and love her. I think the more likely path is that Joker would dismiss her or violently take care of her. I can't imagine it working out well. I really hope that note towards the end was not written by Joker. I prefer to believe she wrote it.

I went into the book not caring for her at all and left thinking I would enjoy a little more Jokers Daughter. Maybe a mini. She should be good in Suicide Squad. She was really mishandled in Catwoman and her character was all over the place, none suprise with Queen Nocenti's random writing. This was more focused and enjoyable. The art was incredible and colourful. I would love to say this team take another shot at the character.

Oh and Batman walking away from her saying he didn't have time for her was amazing. Just added gasoline to her rage.

Good read.

#FireRemender

Zero Year has had a far wider colour palette than the previous arcs.

Tizoc

In other words, it looks like a Grant Morrison acid trip.

No it isn't. It was too boring and uninteresting for me to bother to even read through. I mostly skim it.

You want Grant Morrison acid trip read Invisibles, Joe the Barbarian or his Doom Patrol run.

Messi, were running out of time for them to announce a new Catwoman creative team.

Glad you liked Jokers Daughter. Yes, that issue made you care a but more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom