• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jeff Lemire will launch a new book over at Dark Horse next March.

He9xytk.jpg

BLACK HAMMER will be a brand new creator-owned ongoing series from Dark Horse Comics coming late 2014. The book is written by Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, Trillium, Animal Man) and drawn by the amazing Dean Ormston (Books of Magik).

BLACK HAMMER follows a group of oddball superheroes who have been “wiped out of continuity” after an earth shaking cataclysmic “event” and wake on a farm in a mysterious small town.

They were the greatest heroes of a lost era, Golden Aged crime buster, ABRAHAM SLAM, interstellar adventurer COL. WEIRD and his robot sidekick TALKY-WALKY, BARBALIEN warlord From Mars, GOLDEN GAIL, America’s super-sweetheart, MADAME DRAGONFLY, mistress of the macabre, and BLACK HAMMER invincible champion of the streets.

They have no idea where they are or how to get back home. All they know is they can’t leave the borders of the seemingly idyllic small town.

The book follows the strange cast of characters as they work to assimilate themselves into quiet small town life, living as a bizarre surrogate family on the farm, all the while try to uncover the many mysteries of the farm, where they really are and how to get back home.

BLACK HAMMER will be a monthly ongoing series launching in MARCH 2015 from Dark Horse Comics!

The promo pic is by Sorrentino.

Sounds interesting, and I'm game for absolutely every creator-owned thing Lemire does.

Edit: Interview with Lemire by CBR. It's an idea he's been working on for several years, but went on the backburner while he had his DC contract.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I sure hope the new DC books are Batman/Gotham centric, poor Bats doesn't get enough representation in the DCU.

And yet look at all the shits people in this thread are giving any of the non Batman/Gotham books.

Are you guys saying people aren't excited about Lobo and Deathstroke and Green Arrow from the tv show's second string writers and Futures End month?

tim1138

Are you guys saying people aren't excited about Lobo and Deathstroke and Green Arrow from the tv show's second string writers and Futures End month?

I'm saying that pretty much everything they've announced recently sounds marginal at best and I'm sure there will be at least one more Bat book coming.

Okay, I'm reading anything between Civil War and Secret Invasion that catches my eye. I've already finished WWH, which sucked, and Annihilation Conquest which was fantastic. I also liked the two Bendis Avengers books: New and Mighty, weaving in and out of each other.

But what I'm reading now is the 2007 Strazynski/Copiel Thor book. I just plowed through the first 10 issues where Thor wakes up and rebuilds Asgard in rural Oklahoma. I'm really enjoying this. I figure I'll keep reading it until the rest of the Marvel universe butts in (probably Secret Invasion, I'm guessing). For now, I'm really digging it.

Before I get to SI, though, I do still need to go back and check in on the X-Men. The mutants were barely in Civil War, and I really haven't gone back to them since the end of House of M. I read the Decimation titles, but that's it. I'm aware that an event called Messiah CompleX is about to happen, so I'll read it and all the associated bits before continuing on to Secret Invasion.

I've basically been going down this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publication_history_of_Marvel_Comics_crossover_events and then trying to carefully google things like "what to I read between House of M and Civil War" (or Civil War/Secret Invasion) etc.

So far so good. I'm really impressed with the jump in quality Marvel seems to achieve around this time.

Oh, and I just finished Brubaker's Cap up to the end of the first major post-Civil War arc, and that's great stuff, too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I need to check back in on Spider Man, too. It seems like the events of Civil War should really shake up his book.

Also, I tried reading Avengers: The Initiative (Gyrich and War Machine training a bunch of cadets), but it was really hard to follow. But I sure liked the artwork by Stefano Caselli.

Owzers

Finished Red Lanterns vol 4 tp, Soule's start, definitely disappointed that it read much like the Green Lantern Universe line that i was tired of and dropped. I expected more based on reviews and GAF love, I feel a bit letdown. I thought the book would be a little wilder and funnier with Red Lantern shenanigans. Random 5/10, only part i liked were
Guy's thought process as he was fighting Atrocitus and towards the end when they were hit with the calming beam

MG310

I wonder if it's even Jessica Drew that he's doing or if they're going to try to make that alternate universe Gwen Stacy one stick.

ReAxion

I finished up Civil War this weekend. Gonna get to Secret Invasion next.
Tony is an irredeemable shit at this point.

Bii

Jeff Lemire will launch a new book over at Dark Horse next March.

The promo pic is by Sorrentino.

Sounds interesting, and I'm game for absolutely every creator-owned thing Lemire does.

Edit: Interview with Lemire by CBR. It's an idea he's been working on for several years, but went on the backburner while he had his DC contract.

Ooh, sounds very interesting and I do like that cover.

I finished up Civil War this weekend. Gonna get to Secret Invasion next.
Tony is an irredeemable shit at this point.

I've never read the Civil War event. Anyone know where do I start? The Civil War TPB?

I've never read the Civil War event. Anyone know where do I start? The Civil War TPB?

Just don't. It's not worth it. It's character assassination 101. It also has had no lasting impact at all. As bad as Siege was it at least marked the end of that whole downward spiral that started with Civil War. I'm really hard-pressed to think of any development during that time that stuck. Initiative is gone, Sentry is gone, SHIELD is back (with Maria Hill at the helm), Iron Man and Cap are buds again. Well I guess Goliath is still dead but dude went out like a chump.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just don't. It's not worth it. It's character assassination 101. It also has had no lasting impact at all. As bad as Siege was it at least marked the end of that whole downward spiral that started with Civil War. I'm really hard-pressed to think of any development during that time that stuck. Initiative is gone, Sentry is gone, SHIELD is back (with Maria Hill at the helm), Iron Man and Cap are buds again. Well I guess Goliath is still dead but dude went out like a chump.
But without Civil War, there were no Dark Reihn and no Dark Avengers, ao it was not that bad afterall ;)

Bii

Ahh, I'll have to give it some more thought now. I've been trying to beef up my Marvel trade collection and was looking at what events have taken place in the past few years to see if they were worth reading. I really liked Infinity and Battle of the Atom was just okay.

-

Elektra #2

Oh man, things are starting to heat up with so many twists and turns. Elektra is right on the trail of the assassins' assassin, Cape Crow, and Bloody Lips is not far behind. Again, the art is stellar but Del Mundo is still using the fancy two-page spreads more than I liked to see (it wears thin after a while). I don't have #3 but will have to stop by my LCS later this week to pick it up.

-

Shutter #3

The momentum is still going strong by introducing us to new characters as well as that last page cliffhanger. The first few pages confused me a bit since the art was slightly different (not really sure what was going on there). Kate's cat is sooooo lovable. Check out the train scene below. I even closed my eyes and imagined that I was there; such a relaxing moment for Kate given all the chaos that has happened before those panels.

Bonus pic:

But without Civil War, there were no Dark Reihn and no Dark Avengers, ao it was not that bad afterall ;)

Dark Reign is one of the dumbest premises that's ever happened at Marvel and that includes both Contest of Champions. Guy who is all but essentially a known supervillain gets the kill shot on the leader of a bad guy army that everyone else is also fighting and they make him president. Wat?

Ahh, I'll have to give it some more thought now. I've been trying to beef up my Marvel trade collection and was looking at what events have taken place in the past few years to see if they were worth reading. I really liked Infinity and Battle of the Atom was just okay.
If you liked Infinity, check out some Cosmic Marvel stuff if you haven't already. The Thanos Imperative is amazing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dark Reign is one of the dumbest premises that's ever happened at Marvel and that includes both Contest of Champions. Guy who is all but essentially a known supervillain gets the kill shot on the leader of a bad guy army that everyone else is also fighting and they make him president. Wat?

Yea it's a dumb sounding idea, but it turned out a lot of really great stories.

ReAxion

Yah I dunno about actually owning Civil War, don't think I'd recommend it as a buy. I used Unlimited.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yea it's a dumb sounding idea, but it turned out a lot of really great stories.

Dark Avengers was so slow. And I figured out that Bendis has a hard on for Sentry. Either that or Bendis had to add in a power set at the last second to defeat Molecule Man. It was still bad.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dark Avengers was so slow. And I figured out that Bendis has a hard on for Sentry. Either that or Bendis had to add in a power set at the last second to defeat Molecule Man. It was still bad.

Dark Avengers sure, but there were some really good stories in the other books that had Dark Reign crossovers. Spider-man was great, Way's Deadpool had it's two best arcs during that time and Fantastic Four used it to kick off Hickman's run.

Dark Avengers had that one scene of Norma seducing The Sentry to join...and then it was just bad version of Ellis/Deodato Jr Thunderbolts

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Its not better than Lex Luthor becoming the POTUS or joining the Justice League.

I am ok with this.

dan2026

Its incredible how I've managed to go from a hardcore DC fan to barely even registering any of their new comics announcements.

It stirs nothing within me.

Its incredible how I've managed to go from a hardcore DC fan to barely even registering any of their new comics announcements.

It stirs nothing within me.

I'm pretty much feeling this way right now, but the fans have been brutally manhandled. They just continue to top themselves in ridiculous decisions. They barely have a handful of readable series at the moment, let alone actually great ones.

Not that Marvel is doing a hell of a lot better, but at least I haven't seen them do quite as many stupid things since they rebooted their series'.

FRANKEN-CASTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom