• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an issue of Detective Comics that crossed over with the Millennium event in the 80s and now I wanna read more Norm Breyfogle Batman. He did a lot of Knightfall yeah?
Greg Capullo and Kelley Jones are my favorite Bat artist and they have that gothic cartoony look.
Haven't read any Kelley Jones Batman myself, but your reviews are gettin me interested

Ales Kot has a big announcement tomorrow per Twitter.

Also, new Suicide Squad is getting positive reviews from retailers that have read it.

Messi

Ooh. You can see a few pages of the pencils in the preview. Even without the great coloring, it still looks very nice.

Those pages look very very good. I think I'll buy this. I have alot of love for his art in Batman.

His Joker art in Death of the family was stunning at times.

Cheska

I'm sorry Cheska. Will you be jumping back in for the new start? I would like to be able to discuss it on here and I know you love Catwoman.

What happened the avatar?

Definitely will give it a try!

And I'm trying to find another avatar. Find me a hot Catwoman one :)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Still baffled by the Klarion announcement, I looked to Chris Sims' ComicsAlliance article for some guidance:
..It’s a very interesting idea, and as a writer, Nocenti certainly has the chops to pull it off — her classic run on Daredevil explored the nature of violence and identity in some of the most engaging action stories of all time, and she’s been bringing the same level of metaphorical understanding to characters with everything she’s done at DC’s New 52 over the past few years as well.

Today is just fucking odd.

tim1138

Still baffled by the Klarion announcement, I looked to Chris Sims' ComicsAlliance article for some guidance:

Today is just fucking odd.

I swear, this is like some kind of bizarro week. Korupt and I were talking about it yesterday, so much weird shit going on this week already. At this point I half expect Ales Kot's announcement tomorrow to be he's taking over any of Batman, Justice League, Avengers or New Avengers, or hell, all four.

Here's Nocenti's Klarion description, what the hell.
There are two “schools” of thought that prey on young witches and wizards. Coal and the Necrots believe in the power of technology. Piper and Noah believe in the pagan power of the planet. Coal has a heavy metal club, The Necropolitan, and techo and metal music are part of his power. There will be intense battles between these wizards, and all the characters have secrets. Deep secrets. Coal is a talented novice of Techno-Wizardry. He lives in a computer graveyard, a techno breeding ground. Coal needs technology to thrive and be powerful, just as Klarion needs the planet to be healthy in order for him to draw on his pagan powers. Coal and Klarion are in a battle for the health (or death) of the planet.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Is Klarion much-loved or something? I admit, my only knowledge of the character comes from some Young Justice episodes. I'm more than happy to let Nocenti have him so long as it keeps her away from Selina forever.
Go read all of Morrison's Seven Soldiers of Victory. It's my favorite crossover event, by far, and features the best Klarion comics.

Messi

That Hellboy art looks incredible. I have never read any Hellboy other than the first trade trade years ago. I have been meaning to buy the library editions but I will be sure to pick this up.

I do have a question though. Mike Mignola is writing only Hellboys dialogue and the rest is being done by others. How does that work? Sheems like it would be jarring.

ReAxion

Secrets. DEEP SECRETS.

a computer graveyard, a techno breeding ground... basically the same thing.

I was just listening to Kumail Nanjiani's X-Files Files, wherein they discussed the episode of the X-Files "Ghost in the Machine" and the hacker guy was throwing out early 90s computer jargon that didn't catch on, one of them being techno-wizard.

what the hell indeed. I have no knowledge of Klarion but to those who have Care here, I am so sorry.

ElNarez

Banned

I dunno, like, if I heard the exact same pitch but from Kieron Gillen, this would be my most anticipated comic ever, and let's be honest, these ideas sound Kieron Gillen As Fuck, so as much as I'd love to I can't totally write it off.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I do have a question though. Mike Mignola is writing only Hellboys dialogue and the rest is being done by others. How does that work? Sheems like it would be jarring.

Wait, what? That seems very odd. Where was that info? I gotta see this. I just looked through the article that was linked in here and didn't see anything about that, though I might have missed it.

Messi

To save Selina, another must be sacrificed.

Acceptable losses.

I am still smiling.

Wait, what? That seems very odd. Where was that info? I gotta see this. I just looked through the article that was linked in here and didn't see anything about that, though I might have missed it.

Comic-Con International in San Diego is still two weeks away, but the stream of major announcements is already underway: On Tuesday, Dark Horse Comics announced via Entertainment Weekly a new five-issue "Hellboy and the B.P.R.D." miniseries, starting in December.

The series, set for five issues, boasts a high-profile creative team: "Hellboy" creator Mike Mignola, plotting and writing Hellboy's dialogue; long-time "B.P.R.D." writer John Arcudi scripting; and Alex Maleev, an Eisner-winning Marvel veteran seen recently on "George Romero's Empire of the Dead," on art. The series is set in 1952, and is said to detail the "lost" years of Hellboy's initial adventures with the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense.

The new series arrives at the end of Hellboy's 20th anniversary year, commemorated this past March with "Hellboy Day."

"I try to keep my head down and just keep moving," Mignola told CBR in March. "One thing, fortunately, is that I'm not trying to do the same story over and over again. I'm doing a different kind of story 10 or 15 years ago. If I was trying to tread the same territory I think it would be more difficult."

There you go

tim1138

I dunno, like, if I heard the exact same pitch but from Kieron Gillen, this would be my most anticipated comic ever, and let's be honest, these ideas sound Kieron Gillen As Fuck, so as much as I'd love to I can't totally write it off.

I'm not gonna lie, I'll check out the first issue just because that concept sounds so fucking bizarre and out there. Make no mistake though if it sucks it'll be dropped faster than you can see Nocenti, I'm not gonna be Messi and company and support a shitty book.

My only exposure has been the Young Justice cartoon and an amazing issue of the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series that was illustrated by Dustin Nguyen. Probably my favorite of anything he's done for DC.

I'm def in for Nocenti Klarion. Third times the charm for Nocenti, right? And it's probably gonna go 8 issues at most anyway

Kipp

There you go

Ah, cool. Thanks. I'm glad Mignola is doing the plotting too at least. Makes you wonder why they'd even bother with Arcudi though if all he's doing is writing the dialogue for the non-Hellboy characters.
Oh well. Doesn't change the fact that I'm super excited for it.

Also, did anyone mention this yet?

Jason Aaron and Ron Garney doing a book about a hitman: "Men of Wrath."

Let's move to the protagonist of "Men of Wrath," the hitman, Ira Rath. What can you tell us about Ira? What are his goals when we first meet him?

Aaron: He's a bad guy. He's an older guy who's reaching the end of his life, which consists pretty much of killing people for money and living alone in an empty house which doesn't have much furniture. For him it's clearly not about the money. There's something else going on.

"Men of Wrath" is about a family history. So each issue opens with flashbacks to different generations of the Rath family. We kind of start to see how the cycle of violence begins and gets perpetuated and passed down from generation to generation of this family and kind of culminates in Ira as the worst of the bunch.

It was originally released in four tpbs, but they've since released it as a two volume set. It's completely brilliant and the best comic you've never read.

Even better than Martha Washington!? Maybe I'll add it to my next IST order. Should definitely have one ready when Seconds comes out next week.

I could be wrong but I think one of the four tpbs for Seven Soldiers is out of print (or I just couldn't find it on IST), so the new collections seem like the way to go.

Next IST order I'll add the first one. If I thought about it earlier today I would have ordered it already lol oh well

Kipp

I could be wrong but I think one of the four tpbs for Seven Soldiers is out of print (or I just couldn't find it on IST), so the new collections seem like the way to go.

Next IST order I'll add the first one. If I thought about it earlier today I would have ordered it already lol oh well

Yeah. I think it's the third TPB which is out of print. Just FYI though, the other three TPBs are a part of that 65% off sale going on right now, so if you don't mind having a not very aesthetically pleasing shelf, you could get the first two small TPBs for a total of $10 (versus $20 for the larger volume 1 TPB) and then complete the collection with the larger volume 2 TPB. I personally can't bring myself to having 2 small TPBs and 1 large TPB, but it'd save you $10 overall if you could deal with it. :p

Seven Soldiers has been on my IST wishlist for ages. One day I'll get around to it.

If it's not on IST, that doesn't necessarily mean it's out of print, but I that one is out of print. Amazon is generally a good barometer for that. If three of them are part of the 65% sale, you could just order the missing one from amazon used or something if you want a good looking shelf. prices aren't crazy or anything

Unai

Haha, the first thing I did when I read the Catwoman's news was come here to see the reactions. I'm not leaving disappointed.

Edit: I'm usually don't post here, but I'm always reading these COMICS OT threads, so I kind of know what most of you guys like.

That Detective Comics selfie variant.

BsDw17ICAAIb9kd.jpg

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Gf and I are quitting the following series as we make room for new ones:

New Warriors
East of West
All-New Invaders
Fantastic Four
Inhuman
Guardians of the Galaxy: Prelude

Any reason why we should stick with them?

We are also considering dropping: She-Hulk (art is inconsistent), Harley Quinn (too many similar series such as Hawkeye, Black Widow, and other solos), Starlight (waiting for something important to happen), Justice League United (my love for Manhunter isn't enough to keep me interested, but giving it another issue or two), and United States of Murder, Inc. (not too excited for new issues, but too early in the series to drop it).

We are making room for: Spider-Man 2099, Storm, Death Vigil, Low, Grayson, Teen Titans, New Suicide Squad, and maybe Robin Rises Omega.

ReAxion

Gf and I are quitting the following series as we make room for new ones:

New Warriors
East of West
All-New Invaders
Fantastic Four
Inhuman
Guardians of the Galaxy: Prelude

Any reason why we should stick with them?

We are also considering dropping: She-Hulk (art is inconsistent), Harley Quinn (too many similar series such as Hawkeye, Black Widow, and other solos), Starlight (waiting for something important to happen), Justice League United (my love for Manhunter isn't enough to keep me interested, but giving it another issue or two), and United States of Murder, Inc. (not too excited for new issues, but too early in the series to drop it).

We are making room for: Spider-Man 2099, Storm, Death Vigil, Low, Grayson, Teen Titans, New Suicide Squad, and maybe Robin Rises Omega.

East of West:
the war is starting.
Starlight: I'm one issue behind current, but important things have already started happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom