• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Omg that Harley one is perfect!

EDIT: First post of the page! I just re-read Alias by Brian Michael Bendis this past week and I just cant sing high enough praises for it. It was so fantastic, and I hope you all take a moment out of your day to check it out. I know not everyone is a fan of BMB, but it really reads like on of his finest works.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

EDIT: First post of the page! I just re-read Alias by Brian Michael Bendis this past week and I just cant sing high enough praises for it. It was so fantastic, and I hope you all take a moment out of your day to check it out. I know not everyone is a fan of BMB, but it really reads like on of his finest works.

Bendis is great when he's doing street level crime stuff and Alias is just amazing.

Wool

Man Prophet is a completely different book on digital. Thing just pops.

I read the first trade and got singles after that. Big difference. There are some beautiful splash pages that are ruined by the gutter in the middle of the book.

Sucks that there's only one more issue, but Strikefile and Earth War should be good.

Zombine

Banned
Bendis is great when he's doing street level crime stuff and Alias is just amazing.

People are always drinking the BMB haterade, but the guy has done far more good than bad. The only books he doesn't belong on are X-Men, and even those titles that he does control are solid in a Summer-Comic-Movie sort of way.

Edit: Guardians of the Galaxy is horrible, forgot about that. The only redeeming arc is Jean Grey.

Isak_Borg

So comic gaf in my EXILE.

I've been out of the loop and in my return I've noticed a lot of remender madness.

WTF is going on?

Zombine

Banned
Wow, just mentioning Avengers & X-Men in the title makes me even less interested.

Avengers & X-Men Axis*

*As seen in Captain America: The Winter Soldier & 20th Century Fox's X-Men Days of Future Past. Pre-Order your Tickets for Guardians of The Galaxy on Fandango!

Some comic gaf in my EXILE.

I've been out of the loop and in my return I've noticed a lot of remender madness.

WTF is going on?

Just some non-issues. Someone thought that Mandarin was racist or something and I mentioned that it was probably a bunch of white dudes getting upset over it (I was right.)

How was your trip to the Negative Zone?

I've never read it, but I'm counting the days until the omnibus reprint in September.

I don't believe this shit

What exactly? Messi's complete dominance over DC?

Isak_Borg

Avengers & X-Men Axis*

*As seen in Captain America: The Winter Soldier & 20th Century Fox's X-Men Days of Future Past. Pre-Order your Tickets for Guardians of The Galaxy on Fandango!

Just some non-issues. Someone thought that Mandarin was racist or something and I mentioned that it was probably a bunch of white dudes getting upset over it (I was right.)

How was your trip to the Negative Zone?

Way behind on most of my shit but planning on catching up at some point in the next month. Haven't read a comic in a month and been avoiding "news" sites just because most of it is B.S..

Zombine

Banned
Way behind on most of my shit but planning on catching up at some point in the next month. Haven't read a comic in a month and been avoiding "news" sites just because most of it is B.S..

I don't even know if the Remender Non-travercy even got that big. I don't remember it being picked up by any of the outlets or anything.

Still interested in the podcast, I have just been busy as shit.

PsychBat!

Banned

Bendis is great when he's writing solo character series. His Ultimate Spider-Man has been consistently great. I hear his Daredevil and Moon Knight have been good too.

His super hero team books like Avengers, New Avengers and Dark Avengers leave something to be desired. Dialogue is one note and tries too hard to be clever in his team books. It's as almost as if every character has one style of how to speak.

I think the exceptions for his team books are his X-books. I like those. His GotG is bleh though.

The one new DC book I am excited about is written by freakin' Ann Noccenti. Wow. What are they thinking? Seriously, what was going through their minds when they made this decision? The description posted was just gibberish. This has motivated me as much as Bitch Planet to pick up the pencil. My arrival with be swift and thorough. He Is Risen

Zombine

Banned
The one new DC book I am excited about is written by freakin' Ann Noccenti. Wow. What are they thinking? Seriously, what was going through their minds when they made this decision? The description posted was just gibberish. This has motivated me as much as Bitch Planet to pick up the pencil. My arrival with be swift and thorough. He Is Risen

Get out the sticky notes and map your yellow brick road to comic stardom, brother.

PsychBat!

Banned

230px-6.28.13AnnNocentiByLuigiNovi1.jpg

Messi

It's about time some other people in here have to deal with her.

Zombine

Banned
I feel like Ann Nocenti is the Benjamin Franklin of Comic Writing.

The big publishers realize her heyday is over, and that she's pretty senile, so they just pat her on the head and keep her on staff as an honorary member.

Gf and I are quitting the following series as we make room for new ones:
New Warriors
Any reason why we should stick with them?
Even though I love it, if you haven't been feeling the last few issues of New Warriors, then I'd just drop it. I have a feeling the tone of the last few issues is what the rest of the series is gonna be like. I think the team makes the book a lot of fun personally, I love seeing the continuing misadventures of Kaine and Aracely and everyone else is just icing on the cake.

Reviews for Spidey 2099 are not very good.
Well that's a shame to hear. I really liked the 2099 back-up in Spider-Man a few months ago and the preview seemed promising enough for me. I'm still gonna give it a shot since I'm a big fan of Miguel. I hope it delivers for me at least.

So comic gaf in my EXILE.

WTF is going on?
Lots of people upset over a sex scene in the latest Captain America. Some people are saying it's statutory rape even though both characters are confirmed to be adults. I really don't get it myself but I haven't been following it too closely.

Messi

I just want to say: that Catwoman turnaround was legendary. Congrats, Messi.

Couldn't be happier. I did ask yesterday before I dropped it wether there was a chance of one of the bat books today being a new Catwoman book. But I was joking. The real hero is Korupt.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Even though I love it, if you haven't been feeling the last few issues of New Warriors, then I'd just drop it. I have a feeling the tone of the last few issues is what the rest of the series is gonna be like. I think the team makes the book a lot of fun personally, I love seeing the continuing misadventures of Kaine and Aracely and everyone else is just icing on the cake.

I was reading it for Kaine, too, but the gf does not like the series at all and the only reason I was reading it was for Kaine, so going to bow out now and give Spider-Man 2099 a chance instead. If Rider was on the team, I would never quit it, but alas, they have Sam instead and he's an okay replacement.

I was reading it for Kaine, too, but the gf does not like the series at all and the only reason I was reading it was for Kaine, so going to bow out now and give Spider-Man 2099 a chance instead. If Rider was on the team, I would never quit it, but alas, they have Sam instead and he's an okay replacement.

Ah, that's a shame. The series did have a slow start but it's so great now. As much as I love Richie, Sam works perfectly for the book and it's great seeing Kaine acting like an asshole to him.

btw I'd just like to say that Messi and Korupt both need tags for this whole Catwoman thing

The timing of everything was beyond perfect

fauxtrot

Banned
Ah, cool. Thanks. I'm glad Mignola is doing the plotting too at least. Makes you wonder why they'd even bother with Arcudi though if all he's doing is writing the dialogue for the non-Hellboy characters.
Oh well. Doesn't change the fact that I'm super excited for it.

I would assume Mignola wants this to be as little work for him as possible but is still particular about Hellboy's character, so they came to this unique arrangement to allow the book to proceed. Not that he's lazy, just that he's busy and getting older, so why not let someone else lighten the load where they can? I'd be surprised to hear about Dark Horse not bending over backwards for him now a days.

edit - Where'd Bats get the life sized T Rex, giant penny, etc for his man(bat)cave? Is it just something that someone drew once and it kinda stuck or were there actual storylines involving those as props/set pieces and he took them home afterward as battle mementos?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I would assume Mignola wants this to be as little work for him as possible but is still particular about Hellboy's character, so they came to this unique arrangement to allow the book to proceed. Not that he's lazy, just that he's busy and getting older, so why not let someone else lighten the load where they can? I'd be surprised to hear about Dark Horse not bending over backwards for him now a days.

edit - Where'd Bats get the life sized T Rex, giant penny, etc for his man(bat)cave? Is it just something that someone drew once and it kinda stuck or were there actual storylines involving those as props/set pieces and he took them home afterward as battle mementos?
Yeah, they're mementos. The T-Rex comes from Dinosaur Island, an amusement park that had realistic robot dinosaurs (Batman #35), and the penny comes from a criminal called Penny Plunderer who was obsessed with pennies (World's Finest #30).

iMhjnxWE9kAfz.jpg

The penny got a new origin recently in Zero Year though (Batman V2 #21):

iGGWQLr5dFYVR.PNG

Mignola and Arcudi have coplotted BPRD for about a decade now. Not really too unique an arrangement. He's just writing HBs dialogue now too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I believe the penny started in an actual story, with a goofy villain called the Penny Plunderer. Not sure about the T-Rex, but that's also been a feature of the Batcave for decades. Over the years there have been various stories given about how Batman got these mementos.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Mignola and Arcudi have coplotted BPRD for about a decade now. Not really too unique an arrangement. He's just writing HBs dialogue now too.

Oh okay, gotcha. Good to know!
So in other words, that Hellboy announcement is 100% pure hype with no downsides.

The dinosaur in the batcave was originally one of those long-necked Brontosaurus(this was back in the day where people thought they were scary like King Kong '33, not the veggie-eating cool dudes from Jurassic Park), but was changed to a T-Rex by Batman #48

I don't think the giant Joker playing card has an origin...it just is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom