• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I don't think the giant Joker playing card has an origin...it just is

Batman probably just got it as a constant reminder of how much he hates the Joker. Gotta fuel the brooding.

Edit: First post of the page, so I'm gonna repost this, because nobody seemed to notice it before and I feel like it's fairly big news...

Jason Aaron and Ron Garney doing a book about a hitman: "Men of Wrath."

Let's move to the protagonist of "Men of Wrath," the hitman, Ira Rath. What can you tell us about Ira? What are his goals when we first meet him?

Aaron: He's a bad guy. He's an older guy who's reaching the end of his life, which consists pretty much of killing people for money and living alone in an empty house which doesn't have much furniture. For him it's clearly not about the money. There's something else going on.

"Men of Wrath" is about a family history. So each issue opens with flashbacks to different generations of the Rath family. We kind of start to see how the cycle of violence begins and gets perpetuated and passed down from generation to generation of this family and kind of culminates in Ira as the worst of the bunch.

Data pls... Such hyperbole over the negative reviews for Spiderman 2099. I see only 3 reviews out there and two are positive (Comicbook; recommended and Comic Vine;8/10) while one is negative (Newsarama; 4/10).

How I get my info on stuff before reviews are out. Go to Twitter, search for a book. People, usually comic shop employees, will have their mini reviews on there.

Edit. Just searched again and it looks like reviews have been better.

Edit 2. Just finished a 3 part arc in the Moench/Jones Batman book. This one involved Boston Brand aka Deadman and was pretty much the coolest story so far. This story had so much story, it felt like I read more than I do in some 5 issue arcs. A fascinating dialog between Bruce and Alfred on Quantum Theory, metaphysics, religion, spirits and how they exist in the real world. Just a great fun story that was worth the price of admission in my opinion. I have been wanting to read some more Deadman stories after JLD and this has satisfied that urge.

Messi

What happens if this Catwoman book ends up just as bad? Who do we blame then?

Ourselves

I applaud dc for trying something new with an established character like Catwoman. Giving a new creator a shot. Sure it could backfire but it has just as much chance of being great. She also seems to love the character. I really love the 5 ghosts art and think it will suit the book. It will look much different than the current alien head Selina.

ironmang

After finishing my Daredevil Born Again TPB last night I'm kind of on a DD kick. Anybody got recommendations for other stories I should check out? TPB would be ideal but I can chase down uncollected stories if they're getting heavy praise. :p

Anyone else see Justice League 34 delayed two months to October? What's up with that?
Creative team delays from the Forever Evil finale pushed back one of the issues, and September is the "Five Years Later" gimmick so the issue for that month takes priority. Thirty-five will probably ship before thirty-four.

Messi

These covers are stunning. I'd buy prints of them

may140234.jpg

JUN140211.jpg

nov130167d.jpg

Flawless

tim1138

Is the issue worth looking into? I used to really like
Question

It wasn't bad. Not Ales Kot level, but worlds better than that Adam Glass trash from the beginning of the N52. The general premise seems more in line with what Ostrander did on the book (international black ops that the US government can deny), and I'm really curious to see how the
Vic Sage stuff plays out. Mind you, he's not the Question (yet?), just Victor.

I'll give it a couple issues, I'm a sucker for a good Squad book.

Lombaszko

Creative team delays from the Forever Evil finale pushed back one of the issues, and September is the "Five Years Later" gimmick so the issue for that month takes priority. Thirty-five will probably ship before thirty-four.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the September thing, thanks. It did seem strange because Ivan Reis and Doug Mahnke are usually right on time, but it looks like Reis is drawing Multiversity's first issue so that probably explains the shift to Mahnke.
Comic!

tim1138

What is your DC pull at now Tim?

Off the top of my head I'd say about 10 books (that includes Astro City and Tiny Titans). I picked up B&R for the Robin Rises insanity, but I'm dropping Green Arrow after next month. I cut my pull list by over half last month and will continue to trim it down to probably around 10 or 12 books total.

After finishing my Daredevil Born Again TPB last night I'm kind of on a DD kick. Anybody got recommendations for other stories I should check out? TPB would be ideal but I can chase down uncollected stories if they're getting heavy praise. :p
I have very little experience with the character, but Mark Waid's run is awesome. It's been collected in paperback and there are oversized hardcovers too.

The Bendis run and Miller run are both highly praised too.

Kipp

Lucky for you, when it comes to Daredevil you've got as much great stuff as you can handle to satisfy your DD cravings.
You've got a few options. You could pick up the Miller Daredevil omnibus which contains the Daredevil run Miller did that came just before Born Again.
Or if you wanted something modern/a change from Miller, you could pick up the Ultimate Collection TPBs for Bendis and Brubaker's runs.
Or you could get the TPBs or oversized hardcovers for Mark Waid's current run (I think all of the run before the numbering reset is released in collected editions now).

All of those runs are highly praised. It's pretty much just up to what kind of tone you want. You already know what Miller's DD stuff is like, and then Bendis and Brubaker's runs are known for being pretty dark and gritty, whereas Waid's is pretty much the opposite and is a much more lighthearted approach.

Edit 2. Just finished a 3 part arc in the Moench/Jones Batman book. This one involved Boston Brand aka Deadman and was pretty much the coolest story so far. This story had so much story, it felt like I read more than I do in some 5 issue arcs. A fascinating dialog between Bruce and Alfred on Quantum Theory, metaphysics, religion, spirits and how they exist in the real world. Just a great fun story that was worth the price of admission in my opinion. I have been wanting to read some more Deadman stories after JLD and this has satisfied that urge.

Man, that sounds good! My hype levels for that continue to rise.

Wow.

Read the last story in Moench/Kelleys Batman book which is a 44 page one shot. It is basically Batman investigating murders within the framework of Edger Allen Poes "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and it was awesome.

Best way I can put this book is like binge watching Batman The Animated series with more adult writing and a very unique style. Moench likes his Batman in the shadows, to be the worlds greatest detective, and to strike fear into his enemy before conflict.

There is one complaint with the book and it was in the Poison Ivy story. It looks like the story crossed over to other books not included in this book so you don't get the whole picture or even the conclusion. I loved the book but to step away from my fandom and judge the book objectively, I would give it a solid 8/10.

Where ThyMusicMan been?

What up brossive... I'mmm back,, I missed the ComicGaf fam.
Goddamn that was a lot to skim through to catch back up.

-

Da List:
DC COMICS:
BATGIRL #33 (maybe)
BATMAN ETERNAL #14
COFFIN HILL #9 (still debating)
DETECTIVE COMICS #33
F.B.P. #12
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #10

MARVEL:
DAREDEVIL #5
SPIDER-MAN 2099 #1
UNITED STATES OF MURDER INC. #3

VALIANT:
RAI #3

Messi

I don't believe Nocenti is a bad writer. I just think she was completely wrong for Catwoman and she just threw so much shit at the wall.

I hear her Daredevil is good.

Kipp

Nocenti's DD run was actually really good.

Yeah, I've heard. Was just teasing a bit. :p
Messi should give her DD run a read just to get even more frustrated at how bad of a job Nocenti did on Catwoman.

Oh, and while I'm replying to you, Tim, I got volume 2 of Unknown Soldier in the mail yesterday so I've started reading it again. So great.

Read the last story in Moench/Kelleys Batman book which is a 44 page one shot. It is basically Batman investigating murders within the framework of Edger Allen Poes "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and it was awesome.

Best way I can put this book is like binge watching Batman The Animated series with more adult writing and a very unique style. Moench likes his Batman in the shadows, to be the worlds greatest detective, and to strike fear into his enemy before conflict.

There is one complaint with the book and it was in the Poison Ivy story. It looks like the story crossed over to other books not included in this book so you don't get the whole picture or even the conclusion. I loved the book but to step away from my fandom and judge the book objectively, I would give it a solid 8/10.

Nice! Thanks for all the mini reviews along the way! I'll definitely pick it up sometime soon.

I don't believe Nocenti is a bad writer. I just think she was completely wrong for Catwoman and she just threw so much shit at the wall.

I hear her Daredevil is good.
Have you read her Katan? Her Joker's Daughter? Her The Creeper oneshot? All completely terrible. It's gibberish.

tim1138

I dunno if anyone is still reading the mess that is Earth 2, but Nicola Scott is off the book starting in October and Marguerite Bennett is joining Taylor on writing duties. I forget who the new artist is.

I dunno if anyone is still reading the mess that is Earth 2, but Nicola Scott is off the book starting in October and Marguerite Bennett is joining Taylor on writing duties. I forget who the new artist is.
All my fears came true when that one note hack took over. Batman's origin was one of the most lifeless and unimaginative stories. It was like looking though the bra section of a Sears catalogue and expecting to get a boner.

I love how Avengers keeps picking up threads from Hickman's FF run. He really is building something special here.

So tired of cover teases, Marvel! ANXM this week? Come on man. Good issue though.

Okay, off to read Spidey 2099, back in a jiff with impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom