• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Whats the verdict on Original Sin: Thor and Loki #1, I am hesitant.

Cheska, here is the Halloween variant for Catwoman :D

CTW_Cv35.jpg

tim1138

All my fears came true when that one note hack took over. Batman's origin was one of the most lifeless and unimaginative stories. It was like looking though the bra section of a Sears catalogue and expecting to get a boner.

Hell, he couldn't even get Hourman's name right as the inventor of Miraclo. I'd be willing to bet that his first few issues (which weren't half bad) were written from an outline or Robinson's notes, because starting with that annual the book sank like a rock.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, Unknown Soldier is SO GOOD.
The plot is so thrilling and well done and the art is just perfect with incredible coloring too.
I really enjoyed the first TPB, but this second TPB is even better still.

tim1138

Man, Unknown Soldier is SO GOOD.
The plot is so thrilling and well done and the art is just perfect with incredible coloring too.
I really enjoyed the first TPB, but this second TPB is even better still.

It just keeps getting better

Hell, he couldn't even get Hourman's name right as the inventor of Miraclo. I'd be willing to bet that his first few issues (which weren't half bad) were written from an outline or Robinson's notes, because starting with that annual the book sank like a rock.
Yep. Way things are going, he will probably be on a Vibe relaunch or Cyborg......

Thoughts on Grayson #1:
EPPN6KS.png

(I don't think this image is particularly spoilery)

Totally on board with this series despite being somewhat skeptical when it was first announced. The tone of the issue was great and the teasing and foreshadowing was very well done. Excited for the next issue!

Spider-Man 2099 #1, or, How Miguel O'Hara Got His Shock Back

This book is legit, guys. It makes such a difference to have PAD back writing Miguel. Dan Slott did not know how the hell to write this character...what makes him special, what makes him stand out while still maintaining that Spidey core. PAD gets it. There are a dozen perfect exchanges of dialogue I could post to illustrate this, but I don't want to ruin what is a truly stellar opening act. First villain is pretty cool, too, and it feels like this is definitely going to be an important book for the Spider-Man cast. Oh yeah, and that art...that lovely, kinetic art, brought me back to the old series. Buy this book.

We have a new Superior S-Man: his name is Miguel. Call him Mike.

So who do you think is ghost writing Injustice for him then? Because that series is amazing.

This book is legit, guys. It makes such a difference to have PAD back writing Miguel. Dan Slott did not know how the hell to write this character...what makes him special, what makes him stand out while still maintaining that Spidey core. PAD gets it. There are a dozen perfect exchanges of dialogue I could post to illustrate this, but I don't want to ruin what is a truly stellar opening act. First villain is pretty cool, too, and it feels like this is definitely going to be an important book for the Spider-Man cast. Oh yeah, and that art...that lovely, kinetic art, brought me back to the old series. Buy this book.

Agreed. Writing is vastly better. I don't hate slott or anything, but this is better than Superior and Amazing by a fair margin so far.

Oh, and the GOTG cameo in Avengers #32 I did not see coming. great week to pick up marvel books.

Riptwo

Did anyone else pick up Stokoe's "Wonton Soup" omnibus? It's like some insane cross between Star Wars, Iron Chef, and Sharknife. It's been a long time since I've had so much fun reading a new book, and I can't recommend it enough (though as a caveat, I've just finished book 1, so I guess there's always the possibility that book 2 is awful, but I doubt it).

Kipp

Did anyone else pick up Stokoe's "Wonton Soup" omnibus? It's like some insane cross between Star Wars, Iron Chef, and Sharknife. It's been a long time since I've had so much fun reading a new book, and I can't recommend it enough (though as a caveat, I've just finished book 1, so I guess there's always the possibility that book 2 is awful, but I doubt it).

Glad to hear it's so good! I love the Stokoe stuff I've read/seen, but I hadn't heard anything about Wonton Soup so I didn't know whether or not people liked it. I'll definitely have to pick it up sometime!

Just finished reading, and I gotta agree with pretty much everything you said.

I had a huge grin throughout the whole issue, PAD really nailed it. The dialogue was on-point and it was a huge joy to read. Between this and Yost writing Kaine in New Warriors, I don't feel guilty about dropping Amazing Spider-Man (and I've enjoyed Slott's work on Amazing/Superior). This book is legit.

Damn, this week's Avengers fucked my mind super hard.

I like the momentum both books have gained and how some stuff is starting to fall into place. Super curious to see how Hickman will tie things up.

It just keeps getting better
DC/Comixology really need to hurry the fuck up getting the rest up digitally, as my comic collection has left this material plane.

I bought the first 6 (IIRC) issues that were available, read them and thought it was good but nothing definitive. That's when I realized it wasn't a mini and 80% of the series was missing.

Any Harley x Jokers Daughter drama?

A little. I think we have seen most of it in previews. I'm really interested in trying out the New Teen Titans book also. Think only one can win a spot on my pull though. I'll give each a few issues and decide.

Ya'll is crazy. Earth 2 is still great.

Where is Nicola going?

Going to second this. Earth 2 has continued to be interesting and a rock solid read. It's a shame Nicola is leaving it though, her artwork is always amazing. Hopefully they're putting her on something awesome.

I'm also jealous of all the folks with their books already while I'm stuck at work. I want some Dick too.

Ephemeris

Grayson #1 : Sold. I wasn't expecting to feel this way until about issue #3, but I'm already game for the series. That Greg Rucka Checkmate feeling.. oh how I've missed you.

Guys, at only 2 issues, I'm completely infatuated by Infinity Man and the Forever People. Go buy it and support Dan D......errrr Jack Kirby's legacy. No serious, Didio and Giffen are writing something great here.

Tom Grummetts pencils on this issue were fantastic.

Kipp

Well, it's been a few pages since we've had some photos, so I figured I'd take a couple size comparison photos of Big Damn Sin City, Colossal Conan, and Fear Agent Library Edition just for fun:

And then I took a few quick photos of the great art in Unknown Soldier:

tim1138

Guys, at only 2 issues, I'm completely infatuated by Infinity Man and the Forever People. Go buy it and support Dan D......errrr Jack Kirby's legacy. No serious, Didio and Giffen are writing something great here.

Tom Grummetts pencils on this issue were fantastic.

Yes! Listen to Korupt!
This book is so good, even the little changes they're making to the characters and their origins work really well.

Kipp

how are you supposed to read those

I've found that sitting in a reclining chair with my knees up and the book propped up by my stomach and leaning against my legs makes for a pretty comfortable reading position, even with a massive book like that.

I have clearly and expertly illustrated what I am talking about:

YVXoMfO.png

The binding looks fine, so if they lay flat they should be good despite weighing roughly a thousand pounds. Unlike that fuckin NTT omnibus i have, with it's shit glued binding

The Walking Dead #129 was pretty good.

As soon as Magna was introduced, I fucking knew she would be the reason Negan escapes. She's an idiot. Hopefully Kirkman doesn't go this route.

Here is a non-spoiler panel of the issue of Negan colored by a user from the Roamers and Lurkers forum.

First page i colored of this issue. - Biter

According to this issues Letter Hacks, we will be getting 2 issues in October. Fucking Stoked!

I've found that sitting in a reclining chair with my knees up and the book propped up by my stomach and leaning against my legs makes for a pretty comfortable reading position, even with a massive book like that.

YVXoMfO.png

I hope to see more of these expert illustrations in the future, Kipp.

Messi

Let's be honest with ourselves here. The Joker's Daughter in general is just awful. Stop trying to make her a thing DC.

I really enjoyed her one shot and it made her an interesting character at least. Not solo book tier but still good.

YVXoMfO.png

Are you pleasuring yourself there? What the hell is going on

Kipp

The binding looks fine, so if they lay flat they should be good despite weighing roughly a thousand pounds. Unlike that fuckin NTT omnibus i have, with it's shit glued binding

Yeah. Conan lays almost completely flat, and Sin City looks to have the exact same binding, so it should as well.
But yeah, a thousand pounds is a pretty good rough estimate.

I hope to see more of these expert illustrations in the future, Kipp.

Haha. I'll see what I can do.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
And then I took a few quick photos of the great art in Unknown Soldier:

Alberto Ponticelli is a fucking hidden gem, man. Dude does incredible work, and he adapts his style to the work really well. His run on Frankenstein was so damn great.

Kipp

Are you pleasuring yourself there? What the hell is going on

I don't see what you're on about. My illustration is painstakingly life-like and clear.
It's obvious that I'm simply reading a solid red book.
And that my second arm is a long ways down my body from my other arm.

Lombaszko

Alberto Ponticelli is a fucking hidden gem, man. Dude does incredible work, and he adapts his style to the work really well. His run on Frankenstein was so damn great.

So true! Also check out the Villain's Month Black Hand issue of Green Lantern because he drew it.
I miss Frankenstein...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom