• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm gonna be honest with you guys. I'm pretty sure my artistic ability has nearly tripled today.
Yes, it was that bad before that this is three times better. Haha

Also, Messi, if you feel short-changed, I can make you a Catwoman v2.0 sometime soon. :p

Vyer

Here you go!

iJ27moQkAm3Df.png

Lol fuck yeah

ReiGun

Justice League United. It's like an old hot rod. It looks good and under the hood is a beastly engine. But the mother fucker ain't firing up. Turn the ignition and it wants to start but it doesn't catch the spark. I like this car, so I'll continue to wait for ignition but the mechanics need to diagnose the problem and get the right parts in there.

Totally agreed. All the pieces are there. I love Lemire's writing normally and Mike McKone's artwork is great. The character lineup is a who's who of DC characters I love: Green Arrow! Stargirl! Supergirl! J'onn! Motherfucking Animal Man!* Going to space for the first arc already gives it a different feel from the main JLA title, and frankly, all the pieces are there for it to run laps around that book. And yet, there I was, reading today's issue wondering why I'm not already totally in love with this book.

*Although I'm waiting for Lemire to do something with Equinox; so weird to introduce a brand new character then leave them out of the first story.

The art is ruining what should've been a great arc in Deadpool.
We finally get to meet his daughter.

Daredevil and Grayson were fantastic. My favorite books this week.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Totally agreed. All the pieces are there. I love Lemire's writing normally and Mike McKone's artwork is great. The character lineup is a who's who of DC characters I love: Green Arrow! Stargirl! Supergirl! J'onn! Motherfucking Animal Man!* Going to space for the first arc already gives it a different feel from the main JLA title, and frankly, all the pieces are there for it to run laps around that book. And yet, there I was, reading today's issue wondering why I'm not already totally in love with this book.

*Although I'm waiting for Lemire to do something with Equinox; so weird to introduce a brand new character then leave them out of the first story.

I haven't read the issue for fear it'd bring down this awesome week of comics, but at least tell me there's no more fucking exposition. The last issue was repulsive with the amount of terrible exposition Lemire decided he needed to dump.

Read my Vertigo titles.

Coffin Hill. If it wasn't for my wife liking the title, I would have dropped it by now. It's not a bad book by any means and it's fun to look at, but I am not attached to any of the characters. My wife is though so it has an audience.

American Vampire was fantastic and Rafael absolutely destroyed it. I mean wow. That concludes all 11 books for the day.

Top 5 of the week:

5. Batman Eternal
4. American Vampire
3. Detective Comics
2. Infinity Man and the Forever People
1. Grayson

Very good week of releases. I'm still enjoying the weeklies. There was not a book that I didn't like. Very promising #1. Another #1 that has a few of my favorite characters.

Coffin Hill. If it wasn't for my wife liking the title, I would have dropped it by now. It's not a bad book by any means and it's fun to look at, but I am not attached to any of the characters. My wife is though so it has an audience.

Yeah, I dropped it after the first arc. Like you said, it wasn't bad, but I just didn't feel a need to read it every month. I can trade-wait it easily.

Agreed with y'all on JLU. Nothing really wrong with it, but it's... bland. When
Hawkman "dies"
in the newest issue I was just like "alright, sure. who cares." At least it's not the snoozefest that #2 was.
I haven't read the issue for fear it'd bring down this awesome week of comics, but at least tell me there's no more fucking exposition. The last issue was repulsive with the amount of terrible exposition Lemire decided he needed to dump.
Oh yeah, much less now.
oh yeah, I forgot about Equinox

My favorite thing about Grayson that's not a Morrison reference is that Midnighter is totally flirting with Dick. Like, if it wasn't for the fact they both have their missions, he'd totally try to hit that.

That scene altogether totally justified the Wildstorm characters in the DC Universe for me.

All caught up? Good. It seems like no on else reads this book. I'm happy the main plot with Sahara and Obadiah Horn is finally starting to move forward again. It seemed to be stagnant for a good while during those other story arcs.

Yeah, just finished #58 a few days ago. I hope like you do that the story can advance and we get to the bottom of the endless layers of Mappo. No more FCN virus though, that shit creeps me out.

Yeah, just finished #58 a few days ago. I hope like you do that the story can advance and we get to the bottom of the endless layers of Mappo. No more FCH virus though, that shit creeps me out.

I did like the recent issue that went back to Yvette's past, though. And the story arc before that was good, it was just a bit disappointing that they didn't revisit Sahara and Horn during that whole arc.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That scene altogether totally justified the Wildstorm characters in the DC Universe for me.

The initial Paul Cornell Stormwatch issues when the New52 began were really good, and then those characters were shit on and eventually they were exploded in the classic-in-the-making known as Futures End.

Randomly appearing in Grayson is as good as it's gonna get for these characters.

The initial Paul Cornell Stormwatch issues when the New52 began were really good, and then those characters were shit on and eventually they were exploded in the classic-in-the-making known as Futures End.

Randomly appearing in Grayson is as good as it's gonna get for these characters.

I liked the early Cornell stuff, but then they did the soft reboot. That was Ugh.

Wool

Just read East of West #13, Punisher #8, and X-Force #7. All three of them were great. X-Force #7 was the best issue of the series so far. Simon Spurrier is a master of writing characters with mental issues in ridiculous scenarios.

Vyer

Have to agree about JLU. All the parts seem there but it's just been rather bland so far. I've dropped it from my pull list. Hopefully it picks up steam down the line.

Yo, all you Fables fans need to go play the last episode of The Wolf Among Us. TWAU>TWD

I finished it yesterday. And I still prefer TWD over this one. Your choices in TWD feel more organic to me. Not to say they aren't both great games. I'm extremely happy old-school adventure gameplay is making a comeback. As long as Telltale keeps putting out games like this, I'll keep buying them. I'm really looking forward to their Game of Thrones project.

Cheska

I finished it yesterday. And I still prefer TWD over this one. Your choices in TWD feel more organic to me. Not to say they aren't both great games. I'm extremely happy old-school adventure gameplay is making a comeback. As long as Telltale keeps putting out games like this, I'll keep buying them. I'm really looking forward to their Game of Thrones project.

Episode 5 The Wolf Among Us Spoilers Beware
I was cheering so hard when Bigby finally went full wolf on Bloody Mary!

Mdk7

Yesterday i discovered by chance Head Lopper by Andrew MacLean, a kick-ass comic about a viking being badass and cutting heads here and there.
Don't know if it's popular or not, but it really blew me away: it oozes style (the art direction is clearly influenced by Mignola), the pacing is amazing and i dig the writing (the tone is pretty ironic at times, and the dialogues are very short).

Screen_20Shot_202013-05-16_20at_201.40.08_20PM_original.png

Volume 1 is just 1.99$ on Comixology, here is the plot and a link to it:

Mighty swordsman Norgal and his unlikely companion, the severed head of the blue witch Agatha, have been summoned to the Scottish Isle of Barra to rid them of the sea monster plaguing its shores. But what the duo did not intend is to find a much more sinister and ancient evil.

The two now face a series of trials that will test both their strength and their faith. Even if they survive the island, can they survive each other's company?
https://www.comixology.com/Head-Lopper-1/digital-comic/118411

Volume 2 is not yet on Comixology, but it's available on the author's website for 5$ (it's got a lot more content apparently, i bought it but i still have to read it).

Cool shit, give it a go.

A question related to something else: how is The Maxx?
I've never read it, and i saw it on Comixology... do you think it has aged well? Is it worth it? Care to tell me something about it guys?
Thanks!

Tizoc

Yesterday i discovered by chance Head Lopper by Andrew MacLean, a kick-ass comic about a viking being badass and cutting heads here and there.
Don't know if it's popular or not, but it really blew me away: it oozes style (the art direction is clearly influenced by Mignola), the pacing is amazing and i dig the writing (the tone is pretty ironic at times, and the dialogues are very short).

Screen_20Shot_202013-05-16_20at_201.40.08_20PM_original.png

Volume 1 is just 1.99$ on Comixology, here is the plot and a link to it:

https://www.comixology.com/Head-Lopper-1/digital-comic/118411

Volume 2 is not yet on Comixology, but it's available on the author's website for 5$ (it's got a lot more content apparently, i bought it but i still have to read it).

Cool shit, give it a go.

A question related to something else: how is The Maxx?
I've never read it, and i saw it on Comixology... do you think it has aged well? Is it worth it? Care to tell me something about it guys?
Thanks!

Head Lopper sounds interesting will give it a read.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Meh. Typical non-Comics OT comic thread.

What's interesting is that the thread is full of manga readers who dislike western comics, but next to no one on the opposite end.

thats how it usually is. doesnt phase me though. it makes me think that western comic readers also dip into eastern comics

tim1138

That Head Lopper book sounds amazing.

It took "borrowing" my wife's work computer, but I now have my new awesome Darkseid avatar. Thanks Kipp!

phoenixyz

This weeks comics:

Grayson
I was really skeptical beforehand and I will definitely not read it for the art but the dialogue and story was really cool. Especially since I am on the home stretch in Morrison's Batman.

Detective Comics
Another strong issue. But did anyone else notice that some pages looked rushed art-wise? I would have preferred a delay over this tbh.

Batman Eternal
I loved Jason Fabok's art in the first few issues and I am happy he's back. I think the gritty, realistic style really fits Eternal. Story-wise it was much better than last week, shit's going down!

I don't appreciate sexualizing Dick like this. Unrealistic role model!
scnr

I forgot everything that happened in Grayson except for his Russian friend and Midnighter showing up. I'm beginning to wonder if I actually read it, or if I only thought I did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom