• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
Guardians3000-1-b15d6.jpg

They're all very interesting. I think they're super-powered but non superheroish in some respects. They're very much science fiction characters, and I need to find ways to make them fit into the context of what we expect and like in superhero characters today.

I've noticed some comments online already. The original core team of four characters -- others were added later on by Jim Valentino and other creators -- were all male; originally, there were no female characters on the team. From a modern perspective, I think that's a shame and it's certainly something that I'm going to rectify. Whether I add new team members to the group or, as I certainly want to do, build a proper supporting cast and a world around them, there will be several very strong female characters in the book to address that balance and make sure the book has some relevance for today.

I don't want to modernize, reboot or deny previous continuity with this book. I think some of the previous time-related issues I'm dealing with in the storyline will allow for everything. I'm not expecting people, particularly long term fans of the original Guardians, to say, "Everything is being scrapped and this is remake." Like the 2008 Guardians, this is delving into the continuity of the team; taking things and saying, right, we're restarting, but we're restarting with an awareness of that continuity and respect for it, but without bogging it down with so much continuity that new readers go, "I don't know what the heck is going on!" [Laughs]

It's a fine balancing act, but it's actually a very rich playground. There's a lot we can do and I've churned out a huge amount of ideas. When the project first came along and they asked, "What would would you like do?" Marvel got really excited about a lot of those ideas. There's huge potential there.

There is hope after all.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Lol Kipp can make me a Martha Washington one.

Since you haven't read it yet, you probably won't really get it, but here's Martha Washington giving Raggedy Ann a piggy back ride:

iYQsTkXJFdCGJ.png

Is it not possible to change your avatar on the mobile site?

Not actually owning a computer is gonna be me in the ass here isn't it.

You don't own a computer!? That's crazy. Haha

Dear Kipp,

I'm gonna need some Greatest American Hero.

Or some Bats/WW intimacy with an angry Supes looking on.

Your choice.

Hugs,
Vyer

Haha all right. I'm gonna finally watch today's World Cup match, but then I'll get right to that. It'll be a surprise which one I decide on (mostly because I don't know yet).

PsychBat!

Banned
So excited for this book. The backup in the anniversary issue of Guardians was awesome, and I have a lot of faith in this book. I have very little experience with the original team, besides Major Victory, but I know I'm gonna love this.

In the DnA run, they appear for an issue or two and I think it's a great introduction to these characters and what they are capable of story wise.

Hmmmm, on one hand, if this is the art replacement on Supes/WW, then the book is in good hands. On the other hand, with Geoff Johns on the main title, I'm probably going to cut a Superman title from my pull for the sake if diversity. Every time I see the new Teen Titans preview this week, I can't wait to read it. Love the style.

This issue was ok. I almost think it was a little goofy. Something about it didn't click. I just don't know how this title can sustain it's self. Supes and WW will not stay in a commited relationship.

I almost think the title will get the axe on its own. We shall see.

Furyous

Guardians3000-1-b15d6.jpg

There is hope after all.

Where is this image from?

Futures End 10

Terry is kind of stupid blowing his cover in front of Tim like that. I hope Tim doesn't blow his cover. What in the shit happened to Big Barda? I'm only interested in this because of Terry. I want his backstory or a DC versus Batman Beyond right now.

Where's Inhumans 3?

Grayson

I hate the concept of Dick being a spy. Does this mission take place five years into the future? Is there backstory for huntress working with Spyral? I love the artwork and need more of this artist in my life.

Ultimate Spider-Man 3

Miles is crazy. I hope this arc deads the Peter Parker issue once and forever. Either bring him back or kill all clones not named Jessica Drew. Norman will have Miles attending public school in 10 issues watch it happen.

Cheska

It's not a spoiler now because this all happened in Nightwing #30. She has dark skin yes but she is Sicillian officially.

Thank you for that! I never read the Nightwing stand alone so was definitely out of the loop for most of this.

There was definitely something mentioned in another book forget which though.
Dick gives her a bunch of shit because he thought she was dead, and she talks about having to fake her own death. So my guess is Helena Wayne happened to use a "dead" woman's name as one of her aliases.

Doomed started off really fast paced in it's story, and it's really slowed down over the last couple of issues. I hope it picks up again, it seemed to be humming right along, until this sudden stall.

I just wish crossover events didn't invade more than one issue. It really takes away from the reason why we started reading these books in the first place.

On another note, it's so refreshing to pick up less titles a week and actually be done with them while it's still light outside :D Now if only Marvel would fix their schedule and not release pretty much every Marvel book I pull all in one week ;_; I'm already having anxiety about what not to pick up.

While you were sleeping.... I'm awake now!

So, news is out; Earth 2 #26 will be my last issue.
I have LOVED working on this book and I want to send a big Thank You to Tom Taylor for writing such a great issue to send me on my way. Also, much love to James Robinson and editors Pat McCallum and Mike Cotton. This book really has been a joy, even when the world of Earth 2 was going to shit!

Now, I plan on expanding my horizons. DC has been an incredibly supportive and creative home for me for a long time, I'm really proud of everything I've produced there and the good relationships I've built with everyone. That said, it's been over two years on Earth 2 and eight with DC Comics, and I feel the time has come for me to take my next step.

To see out my contract, I'll be doing a short but personal project with my all time favourite character, then...... I'm stepping into the world of Creator Owned for a while. Big announcements coming up and I hope some of you will join me.

Thanks!

Well, there is that.

tim1138

Since you haven't read it yet, you probably won't really get it, but here's Martha Washington giving Raggedy Ann a piggy back ride:

You don't own a computer!? That's crazy. Haha

Haha all right. I'm gonna finally watch today's World Cup match, but then I'll get right to that. It'll be a surprise which one I decide on (mostly because I don't know yet).

Nope, my last laptop died a few years ago and I never replaced it because I don't need a computer at home. I have a Kindle Fire HD and that does everything I need it to, except make Darkseid my avatar dammit.

Zombine

Banned
On another note, it's so refreshing to pick up less titles a week and actually be done with them while it's still light outside :D Now if only Marvel would fix their schedule and not release pretty much every Marvel book I pull all in one week ;_; I'm already having anxiety about what not to pick up.

More time to re-read books? I go through the same anxiety to be honest.

That's exactly what I'm doing! The Runaways this time :D

It just sucks to go from staying within my budget this week, to looking at a $30 week next week :(

For a hobby that has monthly releases, having a weekly budget will only disappoint. Your budget should be monthly.

In the DnA run, they appear for an issue or two and I think it's a great introduction to these characters and what they are capable of story wise.
It's been a while since I read it, but I only really remember Starhawk and Major Victory. I was more talking about my lack of experience with the original series (love the DnA run).
Where is this image from?

Guardians of the Galaxy 3000! It starts this fall and it's gonna focus on the original Guardians of the Galaxy
So much MSPaint! What did I just walk into?

Kipp was holding out on us. Didn't tell us he was the next Jack Kirby.

Cheska

For a hobby that has monthly releases, having a weekly budget will only disappoint. Your budget should be monthly.

You know what, that's actually an incredibly good idea. I'm going to be completely honest, I am extremely horrible with money
Im pretty sure that doesn't surprise anyone who frequents this thread.
I'm wondering if I should just take out a certain amount in cash, and use that to pay for my comics so I don't feel tempted to use my card to buy more if it exceeds that amount.

What's been your guys' budget?

Zombine

Banned
That's exactly what I'm doing! The Runaways this time :D

It just sucks to go from staying within my budget this week, to looking at a $30 week next week :(

That's pretty strange! I just started reading it for the first time last night.

My budget was and still is wild. I would get hit with $10 weeks, then a $30, then a $20, then The next month I would faint and I'd have a $50+ week then the remaining 3 weeks would be quite.

Edit: The fact of the matter is that I'm falling out of love with floppies. I still read my books every week, but my preference at this point is to have a beautiful looking book on my shelf vs. a bunch of soggy white boxes full of paper.

New Suicide Squad wasn't bad. I'll give it another issue or two. All-New X-Men is starting to lose me, but I think this is about the end of the current arc anyway.

What's been your guys' budget?

I generally try not to exceed $30 / week. But if it goes a few dollars over, I don't really care. Though I prefer to keep it under $25 weekly.

Hey guys, I've been out of the comics game since roughly around Fear Itself from Marvel, looking to get back into them again. Any recommendations on catching up? I've been told to read Remenders X-force and follow up Uncanny Avengers, and basically all of Hickmans stories. Anything else that was just really good in general? Doesn't have to be superhero stuff either, I'm already going to be reading Saga for instance, and gonna catch up on Chew.

tim1138

Hey guys, I've been out of the comics game since roughly around Fear Itself from Marvel, looking to get back into them again. Any recommendations on catching up? I've been told to read Remenders X-force and follow up Uncanny Avengers, and basically all of Hickmans stories. Anything else that was just really good in general? Doesn't have to be superhero stuff either, I'm already going to be reading Saga for instance, and gonna catch up on Chew.

Manhattan Projects and Zero.

PsychBat!

Banned

Definitely get into Waid's Daredevil. You don't have to read anything before it. Just have fun.

Zombine

Banned

velvet-005.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
X-Force is twice the book New Suicide Squad wishes it was. Might sound blasphemous, but I think Spurrier is even better than Remender at pushing his cast to the brink and seeing what happens when they're there. Like, it's just fucked up people acting in fucked up ways to one another because of the fucked up shit that happened to them.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Grayson # 1 is just fucking excellent, and it's probably my favorite #1 from DC in a while. I really felt giddy reading it.

Here's my favorite panel:

and here's the translation from my mom: "Best Friends Forever!" Also, that little dude is a famous animated Russian character called Cheburashka.

This book swings its big Dick all over most of DC's other output.

Anything else that was just really good in general? Doesn't have to be superhero stuff either, I'm already going to be reading Saga for instance, and gonna catch up on Chew.

IDW's new TMNT series is pretty great. Alex + Ada, and Black Science from Image. And the new Ms. Marvel series is awesome. Also check out Six-Gun Gorilla, which is out now in trade paperback.

Remender's X-Force and Uncanny Avengers are awesome. Definitely check out his Image stuff like Black Science and Deadly Class too.

For Marvel stuff I usually recommend Hawkeye and Superior Foes of Spider-Man to everyone. They're easy to jump into and they're just great comics in general. For indie books, Sex Criminals and Rat Queens are excellent.

I'm super out of the loop on DC stuff but Snyder's Batman has received a ton of love and I'm a big fan of Batwoman. There was a recent Original Graphic Novel with Zatanna and Black Canary that was excellent. It's kinda short but it's so good.

PsychBat!

Banned

Also Thor: God of Thunder. You get three Thors each from specific time periods of his life.
It's incredible.

Just finished Elephantmen, now I need a new drug

All caught up? Good. It seems like no on else reads this book. I'm happy the main plot with Sahara and Obadiah Horn is finally starting to move forward again. It seemed to be stagnant for a good while during those other story arcs.

Grayson # 1 is just fucking excellent, and it's probably my favorite #1 from DC in a while. I really felt giddy reading it.

Here's my favorite panel:

and here's the translation from my mom: "Best Friends Forever!" Also, that little dude is a famous animated Russian character called Cheburashka.

This book swings its big Dick all over most of DC's other output.

Right on! My favorite panel:

BsJZQTWCcAAhG3t.jpg

Kidding, lol. I'm completely comfortable in my male heterosexuality and I said "damn". But this panel is all the rage on Twitter.

Whew, thanks for the quick replies everyone. Def gonna pick up the Uncanny X-Force omnibus (is 68 bucks from amazon a good price?). That Thor seems pretty awesome, and I remember hearing good things about Rat Queens from somewhere, so I'll check that out also. Also gonna get the Hawkeye trades, I have the first one and I remember liking it, that was from my last attempt to get back into comics ha. I'll keep an eye on the other recommendations, add em to my amazon cart to keep em in my mind. Thanks again!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

BsJZQTWCcAAhG3t.jpg

Kidding, lol. I'm completely comfortable in my male heterosexuality and I said "damn". But this panel is all the rage on Twitter.

Mikel Janin totally killed it on this issue. This series just became my most anticipated DC book.

I thought I clicked the Arrow thread for a second

I get my books on Saturday, looking forward to Grayson the most.

Thanks for the impressions everybody.

ElNarez

Banned
My favorite thing about Grayson that's not a Morrison reference is that Midnighter is totally flirting with Dick. Like, if it wasn't for the fact they both have their missions, he'd totally try to hit that.

Justice League United. It's like an old hot rod. It looks good and under the hood is a beastly engine. But the mother fucker ain't firing up. Turn the ignition and it wants to start but it doesn't catch the spark. I like this car, so I'll continue to wait for ignition but the mechanics need to diagnose the problem and get the right parts in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom