• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many announcements today @_@

Ales Kot/Marco Rudy Winter Soldier

Jeff Lemire/Matt Kindt/Paolo Rivera Valiant Project

New direction with Batgirl that will launch a thousand fan arts

VinceMcMahon.gif

Messi

By the way, I know I am late but what the fuck happened the art in the most recent She Hulk. Faces of meth shit. Bring back Pulidos dead eyes.

:(

Where is my Secret Six omnibus, DC?! WHERE IS IT!!!???!?!?!?

Seriously we even got a mike grell warlord reference

secret-six-catman-warlord.jpg

Started All-Star Batman and Robin tonight. Laughed out loud like 6 times in the first 2 issues. So far, it's interesting. If I had to defend the characterization of Batman so far is he is in his Batman persona and this is his first time letting someone in other than Alfred. He is a mean son of a bitch. I laugh because it comes off as some WWE scripts. This is like the Stone Cold version of Batman.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Started All-Star Batman and Robin tonight. Laughed out loud like 6 times in the first 2 issues. So far, it's interesting. If I had to defend the characterization of Batman so far is he is in his Batman persona and this is his first time letting someone in other than Alfred. He is a mean son of a bitch. I laugh because it comes off as some WWE scripts. This is like the Stone Cold version of Batman.
This is the origin of the infamous "I'm the goddamn Batman" line, right? I've been considering checking it out for a while now, it sounds wild.

Savitar

This is the origin of the infamous "I'm the goddamn Batman" line, right? I've been considering checking it out for a while now, it sounds wild.

Yes it is.

I really wish they would put that line into Superman Batman movie before Bats puts fist to someone.

snorggy

So, why isn't Dick Greyson Nightwing anymore?

I was tempted to get the first issue but I've been wading through this thread to try and find impressions first.

Cheska

I was tempted to get the first issue but I've been wading through this thread to try and find impressions first.

Spoilers regarding Nightwing/Forever Evil
He "died" and his identity was revealed to the world I think. I didn't follow the series myself.

Spoilers regarding Nightwing/Forever Evil
He "died" and his identity was revealed to the world I think. I didn't follow the series myself.

I didn't follow either series but
I think he also died for 15 seconds or something, which is why he's able to join Spyral

Grayson 1 was really good. Definitely check it out if you're on the fence.

edit: blah, you said that. I shouldn't post while tired

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Because if we can't have a Nightwing/Batgirl team up book then there's no point to it at all. DC needs to get it's shit together and start printing money!

IrishNinja

The Walking Dead #129

The logistics the characters are coming up with for the rebuilding of a society are pretty fun to see. Curious to know how Negan will play into all this though. I enjoy how roles are reversed for Rick & co., with the new people arriving and thinking something doesn't add up, but I hope it won't be just Negan fooling them into messing up the settlement as that can easily get contrived depending on the execution. Kirkman obviously has bigger plans for the character by leaving him alive and staying connected with Carl, so we'll see.

Also, dat Rick scolding. Carl didn't even blink while he was going ham on the dude, so I guess that's how Rick has been dealing with any sort of incompetence for a while during the time skip.

yeah, almost exactly my thoughts - if it plays out that predictably, i'm gonna be kinda let down. they need to keep that genie bottled up a bit longer to make it count.

Cade

we talkin' about Secret Six in here? we are

Secret Six is incredible. And weird. And great. Nobody can hate on Gail Simone after S6. Pls.

Also, Bane in Secret Six >>>> other Banes

I4R7ntQ.jpg

Chariot

we talkin' about Secret Six in here? we are

Secret Six is incredible. And weird. And great. Nobody can hate on Gail Simone after S6. Pls.

Also, Bane in Secret Six >>>> other Banes
I salut you.
Secret Six is amazing and one of the big reasons I love villain stories.

I adore Nick Bradshaw's art. He killed it on the latest issue of GotG. Too bad he couldn't draw the whole thing.

Invincible 112. Does he really have to kill everyone? It's funny, in the letter column he says he doesn't do these things for shock value like corporate comics, but to understand the characters more deeply. Hahahahahahaha

Tizoc

Secret Six is one of my fav. series of all time, great characters and story, and when the art is awesome, it's awesome.

Grayson #1
Huntress is black now in the Nu52? lol
Good issue but the starting pages' dialog was lame.

Head Lopper 1
Great first issue, looking forward to the next

Superior Foes 13
Another good issue, although short and simple
Shocker escaping from Hammerhead was pretty cool. It does beg the question of how Shocker'd be if he had more confidence in himself

More than meets the eye #31
Hmm...that's not how they got the Lost Light is it? Red Alert in issue #2 of the series said "I didn't check all the rooms before we bought it!"
On the one hand this can be re-interpreted into meaning that he was looking through various space ships for the crew, but
Drift, Pipes and Riptide were the ones who made the final purchase.

Otherwise though, this has been the BEST explanation of a Quantum theory I've ever read. James is a genius and I love how entertaining his writing style is.

Book of the month if not the week for me: THE MYSTERIES THICKEN!

Zombine

Banned
yeah, almost exactly my thoughts - if it plays out that predictably, i'm gonna be kinda let down. they need to keep that genie bottled up a bit longer to make it count.

I'm not going to try and say that this was some shot in the dark prediction I made, but I basically outlined what would happen the moment that the first issue of this arc was released. I haven't been wrong yet.

Invincible 112. Does he really have to kill everyone? It's funny, in the letter column he says he doesn't do these things for shock value like corporate comics, but to understand the characters more deeply. Hahahahahahaha

To be fair, his characters don't come back to life in some contrived way to continue to sell books like Marvel or DC. But I am pretty tired of his "look how extreme I am by killing everyone" mantra.

dan2026

Cassie Cain will always be the best Batgirl.

Never seen the appeal of Babara in the role. She was perfect as Oracle, so of course they got rid of that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cassie Cain will always be the best Batgirl.

Never seen the appeal of Babara in the role. She was perfect as Oracle, so of course they got rid of that.

Oh man so much this. I was thinking about this yesterday with the announcements. The thing is, Oracle was a very well done character with so many layers to her. She had been built by some fantastic writers over the years and had a unique combination of pathos, skill and a touch of dry humour. I don't know who this new Babs is beyond "spunky female", especially now she's been de-aged so much.

I think the new direction looks fun and is a much needed attempt on DCs part to have some cultural relevance (3 years too late but what are ya gonna do?), but I miss that old character a lot.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All this talk about Secret Six makes me wish that the new collection of it wasn't being released all the way in FEBRUARY.

Superior Foes was great this month. One of the best issues of the series.

I really want Marvel to release an OHC of Superior Foes. I'm really looking forward to reading the series, but I have a feeling it'll get the OHC treatment so I don't want to pick up the trade.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
She was, but then the nu52 happened and she got ten years younger and her legs fixed and became batgirl. But she was still oracle too apparently. It's a big mess now.

Wait what.
DC needs to give us an official timeline. Until then, here's my guess given the information you've presented me:

Babs is Batgirl -> Gets shot by the Joker -> Becomes Oracle and is wheelchair-bound -> She uses her technological knowledge and limitless funds to create a de-aging machine -> De-aging machine makes her younger and fixes her legs because when she was however many years old, she hadn't been shot by the Joker yet -> Becomes Batgirl

Boom.
What's the problem you guys have with this again?

Wait what.
DC needs to give us an official timeline. Until then, here's my guess given the information you've presented me:

Babs is Batgirl -> Gets shot by the Joker -> Becomes Oracle and is wheelchair-bound -> She uses her technological knowledge and limitless funds to create a de-aging machine -> De-aging machine makes her younger and fixes her legs because when she was however many years old, she hadn't been shot by the Joker yet -> Becomes Batgirl

Boom.
What's the problem you guys have with this again?

I don't think she was ever Oracle in the N52.

The timeline seems to be she becomes Batgirl not long after or around the time that Dick is Robin. At some point Joker shoots her in the spine and she is wheelchair bound. During this time she has a bunch of surgeries, and physical therapy to be able to walk again. At the start of the N52 she decides to become Batgirl again. Least this is how I've taken it.

I don't remember any mention of her being Oracle in the N52, but I could be wrong.

I really wished they let Morrison finish his Batman run pre-52, cuz the lack of the females in the Levithan mega-arc was pretty striking. Catwoman, Batwoman, Stephanie Brown, Oracle, even Cassandra Cain were a part of the first volume, then they just disappeared.

I can see why no Babs/Stephanie/Cain, but Batwoman was still the same wasn't she? And Catwoman is still Catwoman?

Messi

I don't think she was ever Oracle in the N52.

The timeline seems to be she becomes Batgirl not long after or around the time that Dick is Robin. At some point Joker shoots her in the spine and she is wheelchair bound. During this time she has a bunch of surgeries, and physical therapy to be able to walk again. At the start of the N52 she decides to become Batgirl again. Least this is how I've taken it.

I don't remember any mention of her being Oracle in the N52, but I could be wrong.

This is 100% right.

Messi

I am trying to order some of the selfie books from forbidden planet and I am trying to figure out how the cost of shipping works as they are released on different days. What does this text mean.

If you have ordered several products, and we despatch those products separately, we will count the value of each despatch as a separate item and post it accordingly. We will only charge you for the shipping on the first despatch. When we despatch your items , we will send you an email. You will receive an email for each individual despatch if your items are sent separately.

Shipping is 8 pounds on the site if I add one book, which is madness. but when I put all 11 books I want in it stays at 8. Will it charge me 8 pounds each time they are going to ship or 8 just once. if its 8 then fuck that.

--

The Elektra covers continue to be stunning.

jun140669.jpg

jul140649.jpg

Messi what part of the US are you in right now?

Orlando

Yep, read that too. She's at Marvel now.

For the uninformed. Gail Simone left Batgirl due to editorial indifferences with the Bat editors who both left the company for Marvel.

Maybe thats why Gail was so blunt when I asked about Catwoman. Usually she is really nice.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The Elektra covers continue to be stunning.

The Elektra issues continue to be stunning. And they're not super fucking serious, as I initially thought they would be. There's totally some levity/adventure.

New Avengers Annual was probably the best annual I read. And that's not counting how Marvel has lowered the bar with them. It's either this brah Frank Barbiere or Kieron Gillen that will write the Dr. strange ongoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom