• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I'm just saying obvious stuff that plenty of others have already said before me. But I just read it for the first time, and maaaaan. I think this is way worse than the Clone Saga.

The real reason why OMD is such a terrible story isn't petty little details like Spider-Man making a deal with Satan; it's that it doesn't work on the most basic level of character logic.

Is there even the slightest chance that Aunt May would want Peter and MJ to sacrifice their marriage to save her life? Hell no. And so we have a story where Peter disregards the wishes of his mother figure and closest relative to keep himself from having a guilty conscience. That's not a heroic sacrifice; that's a profoundly selfish act.

Quesada and JMS could have, but didn't, easily fixed that by having MJ get shot instead; yes, I get that they wanted MJ to have equal agency in the decision to end her marriage, but this is a superhero comic. Dr. Strange could have magically summoned her spirit so Peter and MJ could talk it over, or something.

These are pretty cool..

5r8XQjA.png

WUvRGiQ.png

2756494.png

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Okay, I just read One More Day. What in the hell?? So how is this supposed to work? Did his involvement in House of M and Civil War now not happen? His identity is back in the can, but the means CW happened completely differently! In fact, I would think a lot of it wouldn't have happened at all... like, reality is just remembered differently by everybody? Did he go to work for Tony? I guess not. Did Kingpen not get the beat down?

Right before this I read Avengers: The Initiative, and in it, one of the cadets gets cloned and puts on the red and gold suit that Tony made Peter at the beginning of CW. But now, that never happened. So why does that character still exist? In fact, I bet if I think about it for a minute, there are now a TON of contradictions like that, where other characters should be affected by Mephisto's erasure but just aren't without explanation.

This whole thing seems really sloppy.
They will explain this in One Moment In Time, a later Issue of ASM.

Those ain't Brooklynites.

Girls?

Of course it is. There's no other connection to Batgirl (different media, characters, motivations, etc) so the only possible "Girls-i-fication" (or however he put it), would be in the "hipster" (eyugh) setting.

That sort of reductive thinking is what I consider "wack".

Hey.

Anyone else finding it a little weird that Babs used to be older than Dick, and now she looks like she oughta be picking Tim up for their date on her Vespa scooter?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Grrr. This took me forever and I don't even like it. Originally wanted Doop and Punisher doing one of these poses, but I couldn't for the life of me get the perspective right on Punisher's arms so I got frustrated and went with this alternate pose.

Anyways, this is my proposal for the best team-up comic of all time:

icsACqNXkfwin.png

But meehhh.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Girls?

Of course it is. There's no other connection to Batgirl (different media, characters, motivations, etc) so the only possible "Girls-i-fication" (or however he put it), would be in the "hipster" (eyugh) setting.

That sort of reductive thinking is what I consider "wack".

Ah, I misread that entirely. I gotcha now.

ReiGun

Superman looking like a bitch in the back. "Slow...slow down, Barry...Shit...*huff*...Let's take five, man...Come on man. Don't take a picture...Are you...*huff* sending that to Diana?....Fuck you, Barry."

I had this gut feeling Doop would be making an appearance! ;)

You guys weren't kidding about that manga/western comics thread, holy shit the raaaaaaage. I don't dare post, I would never stop. There is a metric ton of bullshit on every page

Flash looks brain damaged in that shot, wow

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I had this gut feeling Doop would be making an appearance! ;)

You guys weren't kidding about that manga/western comics thread, holy shit the raaaaaaage. I don't dare post, I would never stop. There is a metric ton of bullshit on every page

It's like most people in that thread have only looked through Jason Fabok books.

It's like most people in that thread have only looked through Jason Fabok books.

My favorite is...but how will I understand what is going on in Superman comics if I don't read every single book featuring superman that has been published in the last 75 years

Are you fucking kidding me

Boogiepop

Ooh. That's gonna be pretty difficult to have four characters dressed up as other characters all in a 100x120 pixel box, but I'm up for the challenge. Can't promise it'll be great though :p
Also can't promise when it'll be done, but it'll be today.

Awesome, thanks! I realize it'll be tricky, but I believe in your artistic abilities!

I would be very surprised if there is a single living person on this planet who has read every appearance of any of the major Marvel/DC characters....let alone the average reader. I just don't think it's possible. It would consume your life.

ReiGun

I don't like the Flash's smile?
You don't like the all new serial killer Flash? Typical comic fan resistant to change.

My favorite is...but how will I understand what is going on in Superman comics if I don't read every single book featuring superman that has been published in the last 75 years

Are you fucking kidding me

I love this exchange that keeps happening:

"Comics have no ending!"

"If you read specific creator runs, or a standalone title, then are tons of stories with concise beginnings, middles, and ends."

"But that's dumb! Why would you stop reading a story in the middle?"

"But you're not reading it in the middle..."

PsychBat!

Banned
However, I don't get the same impression with superhero fans. When someone makes a sweeping remark about Bat or Supes, especially with regards to the whole "endless reboots" thing, comic fans seem to take it personally and are quick to point out that one doesn't have to read all of Batman, and that there are some very great Batman stories, etc etc, missing the point that it's the principle of the thing (with regards to reboots) that people have trouble with. And yet, many superhero fans here freely admit that most of the genre is trash. It's this sort of hypocrisy that I really find distasteful. It's like only superhero fans are allowed to criticize the superhero industry.

This is getting ridiculous.

fauxtrot

Banned
Absolutely love that SpOck cover.

I'm other news, DC just made up for all of their lackluster (non Catwoman) announcements with this new Batgirl team. I'm in love.

This outfit is fucking genius, and Cameron Stewart has been great in everything I've read of his. I'm a recovered hipster, though, so I don't have as much of an adverse reaction to that kind of stuff as some of you might. Anyhow, I'm there day one.

ReAxion

OT is really "good" for that kind of thing. "How come [really difficult and nuanced problem millions, if not billions, of currency units are spent a year on trying to figure out]?" As if there's gonna be some answer that's contained in a post that other people are gonna want to read.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Absolutely love that SpOck cover.

I'm other news, DC just made up for all of their lackluster (non Catwoman) announcements with this new Batgirl team. I'm in love.

This outfit is fucking genius, and Cameron Stewart has been great in everything I've read of his. I'm a recovered hipster, though, so I don't have as much of an adverse reaction to that kind of stuff as some of you might. Anyhow, I'm there day one.

She looks disturbingly young.

Owzers

My hype is being tempered due to Justice League United and Red Lanterns. DC's version of "fun" still ends up being dull. I skipped Grayson, but i might pre-order the first issue of Catwoman/Gotham Academy, and Batgirl, but i'm very skeptical. I hope Lebron James takes his talents to DC and is the new Secret Six writer.

Filthy Slug

My hype is being tempered due to Justice League United and Red Lanterns. DC's version of "fun" still ends up being dull. I skipped Grayson, but i might pre-order the first issue of Catwoman/Gotham Academy, and Batgirl, but i'm very skeptical.
You fucked up, man.

Owzers

Legit good.

I emailed dcbs to add issues #1 and 2 to my order only if they are both available, we'll see what they can do Xo

I do feel a bit betrayed by reviews and DC gaf though with all the praise of Green Arrow and Red Lanterns, especially Red Lanterns. Green Arrow was at least a decent action book even if Oliver has no personality, but Red Lanterns was typical Lantern bull with a very very very small amount of fun lantern shenanigans.

I emailed dcbs to add issues #1 and 2 to my order only if they are both available, we'll see what they can do Xo

I do feel a bit betrayed by reviews and DC gaf though with all the praise of Green Arrow and Red Lanterns, especially Red Lanterns. Green Arrow was at least a decent action book even if Oliver has no personality, but Red Lanterns was typical Lantern bull with a very very very small amount of fun lantern shenanigans.

Those of us who read Green Arrow and Red Lanterns really enjoy them. Sounds like your own personal tastes differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom