• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

What is this Seconds book ya'all are talking about?

THIS!

seconds.jpg

frye

So I'm almost 100 pages into Sin City. So far I'm not too impressed with the writing, but I'm totally loving the art. I had a feeling my favorite thing about Big Damn Sin City would be looking at Frank Miller art in the massively oversized format. His artistic methods in this are so creative and just really great. I am hoping I start enjoying the story more though.

Also, the whole time I've been reading it, I keep thinking to myself, "The people who think Miller has gone crazy in recent years clearly don't remember Sin City too well." The writing in this seems incredibly similar in style to me as the writing in All Star Batman & Robin and Holy Terror. I'm not trying to imply that the writing in Sin City is bad, by the way (I'm one of the people who doesn't think recent Miller stuff is terrible).
Does anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Sin City is less noir than Miller himself would admit, it's a merger of noir and superheroes again like Daredevil. It's very heightened, purposefully bombastic, and melodramatic but also fairly aware of it most of the time though the quality of the stories vary.

That Yellow Bastard is a legit Miller classic though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I think the issue is the kind of writing he does in Sin City became the ONLY type of writing he did from then on.

Aaaahhh, yes. That's definitely it.
The writing in Sin City definitely has its place in Sin City, but it definitely shouldn't be the style forced onto anything Miller writes.
Great point.

Kipp

Sin City is less noir than Miller himself would admit, it's a merger of noir and superheroes again like Daredevil. It's very heightened, purposefully bombastic, and melodramatic but also fairly aware of it most of the time though the quality of the stories vary.

That Yellow Bastard is a legit Miller classic though.

Oh yeah, definitely. I totally dig those aspects.
I think my main issue is that this particular first story (The Hard Goodbye) just hasn't really grabbed me yet. I do really like the direction it's going though as well as the general characteristics of the book that you described. I guess I just have to wait for it to pick up steam a bit and then I'm sure I'll get into it. Maybe my main problem is that I've enjoyed everything I've read previously by Frank Miller so much that I overhyped it for myself.
And I also think I'm focusing too much on the stuff I didn't like about it in these posts. In reality, I really did think it was good overall. And I am still really looking forward to reading a lot more of it tomorrow.
Glad to hear that That Yellow Bastard is great though!

Kipp, I'm picturing you reading and I'm smiling. In public.

Are you picturing him reading or picturing him "reading"?

Hahaha. Dammit, guys.
And yes, I was reading it in the proper recliner/propped-up knees/omnibus resting on stomach position. It was fairly comfortable.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Still predicting Spider-Verse leads to
Spock leading a bunch of Spider-People through the Multiverse as yet another spin on Exiles.

Aaaahhh, yes. That's definitely it.
The writing in Sin City definitely has its place in Sin City, but it definitely shouldn't be the style forced onto anything Miller writes.
Great point.

30 pages talking about how the city the character lives in is a living being that cares about the protagonist.

endless repetition of phrases

WHORES WHORES WHORES

Messi

I am really loving the art in the current Icarus run of Detective Comics. Enjoying the story too. But the art is the real star.

Kipp

All y'all hating on Frank Miller owe it to yourself to read Life and Times of Martha Washington. That's some seriously good comics.

my friend had to cancel on me so i'm gonna have to see BLOM at SDCC, which is fine. BUT! I did hit up B&N and i now own Seconds and fuck it's so beautiful

now i'm actually gonna read it. Gonna try and get it done before i go to bed

frye

Moore did that back in Daredevils when he was working in the UK.

The thing that makes it is the last vertical panel

headshot95

Neo Member
I just finished the Green Arrow Vol. 4 trade, the first one with Jeff Lemire, and it was amazing. Totally lived up to the hype it gets here. I can't wait for the next trade to come out.

My wife read Seconds in one sitting no breaks and was absolutely smitten with it. I almost finished Batgirl Year One which has been utterly fantastic. Better than the Robin arc and hell, better than Simone's entire run. That's how you do internalization. I actually for the most part like Gails run, it's just this is way better.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My wife read Seconds in one sitting no breaks and was absolutely smitten with it. I almost finished Batgirl Year One which has been utterly fantastic. Better than the Robin arc and hell, better than Simone's entire run. That's how you do internalization. I actually for the most part like Gails run, it's just this is way better.

I think part of the problem with Simone's run is that it's hard to build up a rhythm when you're constantly being pulled into tie-ins that don't gel with what you're already doing.

Savitar

Judging from recent statements out of her it seems the editor and her had a great big difference in how to do the book.

She pretty much thanked and gave everyone credit.

Except that person.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Judging from recent statements out of her it seems the editor and her had a great big difference in how to do the book.

She pretty much thanked and gave everyone credit.

Except that person.

I'm not shocked by this at all. It's pretty obvious she wanted to go in one direction and that she was being pulled in another, entirely opposite, one. You could feel the editorial interference from day one. I wish she had gotten the same sort of creative freedom that Snyder and Capullo seem to enjoy.

Savitar

A lot of the problems with the Nu DC seems to be that wanted to go into a direction that many weren't exactly comfortable and didn't agree with. There have been many editorial issues that have been exposed already, the Blue Beetle one was one of the biggest head shake worthy issues of that.

There was nothing wrong with DC deciding it needed to be less fantasy and more grounded, the problem was they dived too hard in and pushed it on everything. Some books and characters didn't need that and it didn't work with some. Plus it made everything feel too samey in many ways.

Now it seems that slowly DC is starting to figure it out and allowing things to take on a tone each of their own and do their own thing. It can only help and make things better.

The whole Batgirl change is a good example.

It's been so positive it defies belief in a business that has so many cynical people.

So yeah, Seconds was amazingly good. It was
a poigant reminder of our inability to change the past, but also shines a light on why that may be for the best
… I would argue that this is O'Malley's best work to date. Despite the fact that Scott Pilgrim was a blast, it wasn't a story that moved the reader the way I feel that Seconds does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom