• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

"We said that Wolverine was DYING and we MEANT it." Axel Alonso exclusively revealed to CBR News "But much like Lebron James return to Cleveland, the plan was never to turn our back on the fans. We never got to see that side of Logan that was always referenced. Yes Jason Aaron did some things for us and Cornell nearly revitalized interest in the character with his legendary run, but we never got the right pitch. A pitch that says 'Lets hit this out of the park and delivery affordable and accessible entertainment that has something to say on a personal level'. Comic fans have always placed different values on our stories, whether that's through the direct market, the dime rack at your local convenience store or by Near Mint issues of some of our Marvelous stories. That is why starting with Logan we will be rolling out 4.99 pricing model. Fans have demanded more from their stories and we responded. More on that later. But the stories Brian wants to tell...I just knew this is what fans have been clamoring for. As always, the Marvel Universe will never be the same."

With writing chops this good it's only a matter of time until you achieve comics superstardom.

HARLEY QUINN INVADES SDCC SPOILERS: at some point in the story, Harley
stumbles upon a room full of Joker cosplayers. She addresses the reader and says something like "Use your imagination! See you on the next page!" as she's closing the room's door. Next page, there's a commotion inside the room that sends convention goers outside scattering. Harley steps out of the room; her hair is disheveled, her corset is torn, and she says something about having to be sure none of them were the real "Mistah J." Inside the room, a bunch of the Jokers are laying on the ground; some of them have loosened ties, and all of them have smeared makeup and dopey grins on their faces. One asks for her number, and another proclaims "Best. Convention. Ever."

Well, that's something!

My shop didn't get Rat Queens in today so I guess I'm going digital on that. I grabbed the last copy of Seconds while I was there. I hope it lives up to the hype

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't get why we would knock Snyder for being passionate about what he works on. He clearly loves it.

Yeah. I mean, it's better than "I had a deadline looming so I picked a story idea up off the editor's garbage pile and got to work." Snyder can be a little hyperbolic at times, just as most writers can be, but so far none of it appears to be a cynical performance, he's excited and doing good work.

Halo 2

Banned
Just wanna say that Seconds is awesome!
pSlZzwz.png

and if you don't agree with me!
8Ei9uZd.png

WEGGLES

Really enjoyed Wicked+Divine today. And picked up the first trade of Black Science on a whim today at lunch. Only read the first issue, but I'm absolutely blown away. Turns out it comes back the 30th... What fantastic timing on my part.

ReAxion

Really enjoyed Wicked+Divine today. And picked up the first trade of Black Science on a whim today at lunch. Only read the first issue, but I'm absolutely blown away. Turns out it comes back the 30th... What fantastic timing on my part.

Working as intended! Welcome aboard.

I didn't pick up the 100th Anniversary X-Men issue after flipping through it. The art is the most forgettable stuff ever, and the art is what these things have going for them. I did pick up Silver Surfer though! I always forget I buy that book until i see it on the shelf, and it's usually my last read. It's a good book and I enjoy reading it though

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
"We said that Wolverine was DYING and we MEANT it." Axel Alonso exclusively revealed to CBR News "But much like Lebron James return to Cleveland, the plan was never to turn our back on the fans. We never got to see that side of Logan that was always referenced. Yes Jason Aaron did some things for us and Cornell nearly revitalized interest in the character with his legendary run, but we never got the right pitch. A pitch that says 'Lets hit this out of the park and delivery affordable and accessible entertainment that has something to say on a personal level'. Comic fans have always placed different values on our stories, whether that's through the direct market, the dime rack at your local convenience store or by Near Mint issues of some of our Marvelous stories. That is why starting with Logan we will be rolling out 4.99 pricing model. Fans have demanded more from their stories and we responded. More on that later. But the stories Brian wants to tell...I just knew this is what fans have been clamoring for. As always, the Marvel Universe will never be the same."

Too good.

kd-z

Today I realized how many unread comics I have, mostly digitally. There's a couple collections on Comixology: Batman Year One, Captain America: Man Out of Time, Green Lantern Corps Recharge, Green Arrow Year One, Identity Crisis, Invincible vol 1 and 2, Morrison's JLA vol 1, Kingdom Come, Locke & Key vol 2, The Man of Steel, Marvel 1602. Also a couple collections from that Image Humble Bundle. Aaand I just bought a Marvel Unlimited Subscription.

And I can't decide what to read :D

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Working as intended! Welcome aboard.

I'm looking forward to your Wicked+Divine #2 review. Can it possibly live up to your Birdie-level hype from the first issue?

Today I realized how many unread comics I have, mostly digitally. There's a couple collections on Comixology: Batman Year One, Captain America: Man Out of Time, Green Lantern Corps Recharge, Green Arrow Year One, Identity Crisis, Invincible vol 1 and 2, Morrison's JLA vol 1, Kingdom Come, Locke & Key vol 2, The Man of Steel, Marvel 1602. Also a couple collections from that Image Humble Bundle. Aaand I just bought a Marvel Unlimited Subscription.

I'd probably say start with Batman: Year One since it's pretty much essential comics reading and it's fairly short. After that though, no idea. Haha

Lol, I know how you feel. I have like thirty books waiting to be read.

Started and finished Seconds and it was great! Glad I ended up picking it up, it's definitely something I'll reread down the line. Really amazing.

kd-z

I'd probably say start with Batman: Year One since it's pretty much essential comics reading and it's fairly short. After that though, no idea. Haha
I know it's essential, but right now I'm totally not in the mood for GrittyBats. I've also just finished watching the first season of Agents of SHIELD so I'm probably gonna read some Marvel. It's a good time to get on Annihilation since GotG is hitting theaters soon.

Oh, and since I have Unlimited, would you guys like to recommend some short (concise OR cancelled early) but great runs? I've heard Gillen's SWORD nad Generation Hope are good. I'll probably also check out Captain Britain and MI:13 and Thor: The Mighty Avenger.

Ms Marvel, so damn good every time. I don't know if
Wolverine
appearing is a spoiler, but their banter together was so entertaining.

Epic Freezasaurus spoiler fail again Loooool. Check your spoilies pls

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I was on mobile, so it's not my fault.

I love Freeza's spoiler tags lol Think he sold me on Seconds

At least some good came out of it. :D

It really was a great story.

Wicked+Divine is so good. SO GOOD.

Ms Marvel, so damn good every time.

Man, now I can't wait to get to the comic shop. I have a few other errands to run, too. Comic shop is first, though. Priorities!

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I was on mobile, so it's not my fault.

Freeza pls, there's a spoiler button even on mobile! And yes, Seconds was great. I see why everyone was on the hype train now.

New Teen Titans was okay. Not as strong as Grayson or Spider-Man 2099 last week but it was decent. I really liked the art on it so I'm willing to stick with it for at least the first arc.

Original Sin was all filler this week. I guess we needed to get the exposition out of the way, but I feel like anyone who's been reading the book probably had all that figured out by now.

I got through my huge backlog last week. Last Thursday was the first day in a long, long time when I had no comics to read. Feels bad man :(

fertygo

OMG Robin Rises was really effing great, book of the effing month easily, unless this month Gleason's Batman & Robin are even better, squeeeeee

Messi

Working on comic book day sucks.......really bad.

I work every new comic day 11 hours :/

Bought some trades today. Rate and judge

Catwoman vol 2 : No Easy Way Down
Six Gun Gorilla
Black Science vol 1
Pretty Deadly vol 1
Rat Queens vol 1
Batman Zero Year vol 1
All-New X-Men vol 4

I also got the Hughes cover of Archie because it looks awesome. I don't read Archie though.

I ordered it for some friends off amazon but they said I won't receive it until the 20th of August, so sad right now.

Graphic novels always have a delayed release to major retailers. Usually it's only a week, though. If you want comics right away, you need to buy from a specialty shop.

Graphic novels always have a delayed release to major retailers. Usually it's only a week, though. If you want comics right away, you need to buy from a specialty shop.

Yeah I knew that, but I have all their addresses already in my amazon address book thing, so it was easier to just one click order on amazon instead of putting their addresses in individually somewhere else. The price I pay for being lazy.

zeeaykay

Seconds was certainly an enjoyable little book. Pleasant to read and a page turner.

That said, I was a bit let down.
The twist was way out of left field, but there wasn't really any sort of payoff. Everything ended perfectly for her, and literally the only thing she learned was some things are best left unchanged.

I'll certainly come back to it, as the art is gorgeous and it is a fun read.

Of course, you can't help but compare it to Scott Pilgrim, and I think it's one that Seconds loses out on. I had a smirk on my face during most of seconds, where with Scott Pilgrim I had a lot more laugh out loud moments.

Seconds was certainly an enjoyable little book. Pleasant to read and a page turner.

That said, I was a bit let down.
The twist was way out of left field, but there wasn't really any sort of payoff. Everything ended perfectly for her, and literally the only thing she learned was some things are best left unchanged.

In regards to the ending, that was the idea. She became completely obsessed with trying to fix the past that she never really thought about how life would play itself out. Once she got back to her world she learned that things get better with time and she shouldn't get so caught up in the past. Everyone has their rough patches but things get better.

I really think it ended perfectly for the story it was.

zeeaykay

Yeah, I understand that. I guess it was frustrating to me because she had one moment of revelation that led to her apparent character growth. She ended up with everything she wanted in the end, it doesn't seem like she made many real life consequences.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I ordered it for some friends off amazon but they said I won't receive it until the 20th of August, so sad right now.

Really? They have it listed for July 29th, which is their rather standard two week delay on Image titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom