• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
3969615-0b+ww_cv33_open_order_var.jpg.jpg

Be honest, Spike. How many prints of this cover have you ordered?
...There's a print?

Cheska

FBP was a great, albeit confusing series. I loved the art, but I ultimately stopped by the monthly floppies, and am opting to go with trade waiting. Going that route with Umbral, and likely Fuse too (since I fell behind and the trade release is right around the corner).

Unai

When I was a kid I read some issues of Spider-Man here and there, and I loved the old cartoons, the new cartoons and all the movies. I decided to start reading it again when the Superior series started. I loved it so much that I bought the first handful of trades starting from Brand New Day.

My God, this is some good shit. I don't even know if that run is considered good or not, but the very concept of Spider-Man is just, well, amazing for me. This is exactly the kind of story I like. Peter Parker is like your average Joe with all his problems and everything, but always trying to do the right thing even when he is fucked up. I literally laughed out loud reading the books. I felt sorry for him. I wanted him to do better.

I just read through trades. My last trade of Superior Spider-Man from IST is yet to arrive home, but I'm so curious about how exactly Peter is coming back. It's rare that I look foward to a comic book like that.

I'm mostly a DC guy, and I had tried to read other marvel books, but nothing from Marvel had ever clicked so much with me. The other thread about who was the most "heroic" marvel character was what got me excited to read the old issues with good old Peter Parker as Spider-Man.

Well, all I said is old news for all of you, but I had the urge to share what I think about the web-headed anyway.

Zombine

Banned
Well, all I said is old news for all of you, but I had the urge to share what I think about the web-headed anyway.

I think the biggest misconception around here is that we only talk about what's hot and everyone else can screw off.

One of my favorite things to do is discover and read older books and share my thoughts with people. We're all like that. With that said, Superior Spiderman was amazing! I would say that all in all, it's the second best Marvel Now! release, with Thor being the best book to come out of the entire initiative.

Keep reading, and keep on discovering books!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm looking forward to the second volume coming out in September, but sad that Robbi Rodriguez is leaving.

YO, this series better survive after Robbi leaves. All you trade-waiters are bad people, by the way, and I wish nothing but bad DC weeklies upon you.

Zombine

Banned
I'd say Superior Foes is the best Marvel NOW title but that's just me

Uncanny Avengers is dope too

I just feel like Thor edges it out by the scope of the project vs. Superior which is amazing for the fact that it shook up the status quo for 30+ issues and got people interested in Spiderman again. I seriously think that Aaron's Thor will be remembered as the GOAT though, and that's why it tops my personal list.

I just feel like Thor edges it out by the scope of the project vs. Superior which is amazing for the fact that it shook up the status quo for 30+ issues and got people interested in Spiderman again. I seriously think that Aaron's Thor will be remembered as the GOAT though, and that's why it tops my personal list.

I haven't read Thor

I liked Superior but I thought it wore kind of thin by the end. I don't really think the Venom arc was all that vital and the series could have ended a little sooner.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I really ought to read Aaron's Thor so I can find out what's so great about Thor. At the moment I have no interest in Thor whatsoever.
Speaking of, does anyone have any idea what the first volume of Aaron's run isn't on IST? Seems like an odd thing to be missing.

Kipp

Aha! Thank you! It has the writer listed as "Various" so it wasn't coming up in my searches.
I'll add it to my wishlist and hopefully get the urge to actually buy it sometime in the near-ish future.

I hate to say anything bad at all about IST, but their search function is awful.

LaNaranja

Hello comic gaf! I stopped keeping current in comics after the Dark Reign ended (except for a trade of Fraction's Hawkeye) and I was wondering what War Machine has been up to. I really enjoyed his series, are there any interesting stories Rhodey has been in since then? How was Secret Avengers? Worth picking up?

frye

Aha! Thank you! It has the writer listed as "Various" so it wasn't coming up in my searches.
I'll add it to my wishlist and hopefully get the urge to actually buy it sometime in the near-ish future.

I hate to say anything bad at all about IST, but their search function is awful.

Hold off until august, an OSHC is coming out for 35 bux~ that collects 1-11

I suggest waiting for the OHC, it will have the entire God Butcher/Bomb arc.

Edit: beaten

Kipp

Hold off until august, an OSHC is coming out for 35 bux~ that collects 1-11

Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that! Thanks! (Edit: And thanks to you too, Joe!)
I'll definitely strongly consider picking that up.

Real quick though, would anyone care to give me a few sentences selling me on the book?
In my mind, I imagine it as a super-serious book about a stoic, serious Thor.
I've loved everything I've read by Aaron, so I'm not sure why I'm skeptical, but is that assumption correct?

Finished Batgirl Year One and it was delightful. Probably the best Barbara Gordon story I have ever read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Kipp

Finished Batgirl Year One and it was delightful. Probably the best Barbara Gordon story I have ever read. Thanks for the recommendation.

That one's definitely near the top of my list for books I need to buy next.
It probably goes Hellboy, Robocop vs Terminator, Hitman, then Batgirl/Robin Year One. Or something like that.

Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that! Thanks! (Edit: And thanks to you too, Joe!)
I'll definitely strongly consider picking that up.

Real quick though, would anyone care to give me a few sentences selling me on the book?
In my mind, I imagine it as a super-serious book about a stoic, serious Thor.
I've loved everything I've read by Aaron, so I'm not sure why I'm skeptical, but is that assumption correct?

Epic story Dealing with 3 thors

Young Thor who is brash and reckless
present day Thor
Future Thor who is King of Asgard

The first arc is a out the God Butcher who seeks to rid the world of gods

Beautiful art by Esad ribic

Kipp

Epic story Dealing with 3 thors

Young Thor who is brash and reckless
present day Thor
Future Thor who is King of Asgard

The first arc is a out the God Butcher who seeks to rid the world of gods

Beautiful art by Esad ribic

Hmm. Interesting. What's the tone like?
Thanks for the quick summary, by the way.

Parch

I really ought to read Aaron's Thor so I can find out what's so great about Thor. At the moment I have no interest in Thor whatsoever.
Yeah, me too. I read the first couple of arcs of God of Thunder and it's a brilliant and gorgeous book, but I just don't care for the whole mythology thing. God Butcher? Yeah, alright. The subject matter just doesn't appeal to me so I just gave up on Thor. Never really cared much for the movies either.

Kipp

Yeah, me too. I read the first couple of arcs of God of Thunder and it's a brilliant and gorgeous book, but I just don't care for the whole mythology thing. God Butcher? Yeah, alright. The subject matter just doesn't appeal to me so I just gave up on Thor. Never really cared much for the movies either.

Good to know. I definitely feel the same way about the subject matter.

Thanks for the link! I read a little bit of it, but stopped after a chunk of it to not spoil myself. From what I read, it definitely seems interesting. I'll have to think about it a bit still though.

I just... I hate everything about Future's End.

Everything. Every character is unlikable. It's like the worst of the New 52 distilled inbto a single, weekly book.

Is the idea that the regular characters will look good in comparison?

SRG01

I haven't read Thor

I liked Superior but I thought it wore kind of thin by the end. I don't really think the Venom arc was all that vital and the series could have ended a little sooner.

Personally, I think there were some editorial decisions which made the series end earlier than expected. I mean, it probably wasn't a coincidence that the series ended around the same time when the new Spiderman movie came out.

I haven't read Thor

Slott mentioned in a past interview that the Venom arc replaced his original idea for Spider-Verse.

Personally, I felt the Venom arc to the end of the series was just going through the motions to bring back Peter.

I just finished the first two issues of The Wicked + The Divine. What a setup! What a fascinating concept! What great characters!

I'm all in this series.

To be fair though, I think that was mostly due to the fact that at that point in the story, I was so interested in what was going to happen next that I was just sort of upset that that standalone issue was in the way.

I can dig that man, I have felt frustration like that before. One and done short story telling really is an art form unto itself though and imo that issue's quality extends beyond the quality of the series and simply is an extremely fascinating story on its own terms. Imagine you picked up an anthology and that was in there, without the context of unknown soldier. I just think it's brilliant. For sure though, I get that feeling of just wanting to get on with the main narrative, especially when you know your reading a series that only has so many issues, didn't quite get the full run it wanted; you really want every issue to deliver. I'm going to go back and read those posts later today when I have time to enjoy them. Partners little brother is 3 and had a sleepover with our six year old last night and they woke me up at half 5 :| and I haven't even had a coffee yet.

Bleh, you guys are getting me all interested in Hellboy. The main series looks easy enough, and it seems like it could be handled with just the six library editions and an extra trade. But then BPRD is also crucial/good? Which seems to have like 14 trades plus some bonus ones, then another run of 8? And there are omnibuses but they don't cover everything? And then there's some spinoff solo series?

So in context of Hellboy, it's not crucial as such. The Mignola verse is such a clever tapestry in that often the various series do inform a great narrative or greater concepts, but they never actually crossover in the tradition methods, so it's never crucial to read one to enjoy the other. You could absolutely read HB on its own. However one you've read the island, then you read BPRD, you see they are seeding parts of the world's mythology across the books. Concepts like (and you may not want to read this example if you want to be very dark on some of the ideas later in the series)
our world's time as we know it is over
are strengthened when you look at the bigger of the books and realise that the question is not
will the world end
but
which way is it going to end, and to what end
. They write these things so well though, you don't really feel like you're only getting one half of anything if you only read HB, or BPRD. It's just when you read both you realise the whole is bigger than you thought it is (I don't know if this makes sense anymore haha). Probably the only book I wouldn't read totally cold is Abe because so much of it is a reaction to BPRD and a fleshing out of the everyman's place in the BPRD's world now, but even then. In a way, it's the perfect starting point haha. I honestly have found literally all of it amazing though, I think the only trade out of them all I look upon with a little disdain is volume 2 of witchfinder but even then, in context of other books it's pretty decent.

You got some good explanations to the trade releases but I just wanted to add that those. Short answer though I guess and my point is, don't be too daunted! Yes there's a lot but you can absolutely break it up and take your time. It took me years to catch up, and I went all the way through Hellboy first, then BPRD, then the various extra series. The official split point is after HB volume 5, but you really can read straight through Hellboy volume 13 for example, then go all the way back and start on the BPRD. There's no overt spoiling.

Epic DW post......yesssssssss! Welcome back!

Haha thanks man! Where is your deathstroke avatar?!?! Bet you've got some sweet statue pics to show me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom