• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned

This book will be glorious. As long as it has a satisfactory ending those 6 issues will be worth it. The artwork is simply stunning.

Edit: I skimmed through and saw you weren't digging Turtles. Turtles In Time just started last month and I thought that was amazing. #2 is out next week.

Boogiepop

Thanks for the Hellboy info, guys. I'll probably jump at it before super long, but I'll hold off for now since it'd be kind of fiscally irresponsible right now.

Also, since the manga v comics thing came up again, I've been wondering... who else "double dips" and reads both?

Thanks for the Hellboy info, guys. I'll probably jump at it before super long, but I'll hold off for now since it'd be kind of fiscally irresponsible right now.

Also, since the manga v comics thing came up again, I've been wondering... who else "double dips" and reads both?

I've tried a few manga in the last few months. They were okay, I think they probably lose something in translation. My friends all read One Piece, Naruto and Bleach except for our hipster friend. I am the lone western comics guy in my circle of friends, although I have tempted them with Walking Dead, and the Image Humble Bundle went down very well with all of them.

fauxtrot

Banned
Buying/Reading Seconds in print was literally painful to me.

Papercuts?

I was never exposed to manga as a youngster... probably because I'm a bit of an old fart and the only thing even close to it that was popular when I was growing up was the Dragonball TV series. (Which I did watch and love.)

After watching it on Netflix, I'm kind of tempted to go search out the Knights of Sidonia manga. I was pleasantly surprised by how much hard sci-fi there was in it, something that I have a passion for, and doesn't get enough love. Especially from Japanese mecha series.

Weak wrists?

dost-thou-thor-meme-generator-brethren-dost-thou-even-hoist-286b67.jpg

I read both!

The only manga I follow right now are JoJoLion, One Piece, Nisekoi, Akame ga Kill!, Prison School, One Punch Man, and Horimiya. I read a lot more comics lol

Parch

That's the numbering for the overall BPRD series. Quick glance at the wiki shows Hell on Earth started with #69 in August 2010. So not quite 100 issues but it's halfway there.
Yeah, Dark Horse numbering is a bit confusing sometimes. That wiki sums up BPRD good enough. They decide to start internal numbers, even though they were originally numbered as a miniseries only? Whatever. Sticking with the trades is easier than figuring out the singles numbering.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I finished Sin City: The Hard Goodbye. The ending was great. Totally didn't expect that.
Also, Miller did such a great job writing Marv. He managed to make the giant tough guy a pretty intricate, interesting character.

tim1138

I need some Lantern Loremasters to answer a question for me: Has anyone ever survived the transition of removing a Red Lantern ring, outside of a Blue Lantern doing so? Are there any cases of this at all?

Nope, the Blue light purifies their blood so their heart can function again.

Nope, the Blue light purifies their blood so their heart can function again.

If you're wondering, Supergirl
removes her ring trying to stop Worldkiller-1 while they were right above the sun and then falls into it. Apparently, the sun did something to allow her to live without the ring.

The YOU FUCKED UP COMIC SHOP! fuck up of the month:

Despite adding it to my pull list they didn't put in Grayson #1 or Wicked plus Divine #2.

You're on notice!

EDIT:

Holy shit this is amazing. People are getting mad at Tom Taylor for naming Black Canary's kid, Connor, in the Injustice comic.

Alex Jaffe ‏@AlexJaffe
@TomTaylorMade Hey, why do you keep making Connor white? It's kinda disappointing. DC doesn't really need more white guys. They're full up.

Tom Taylor ‏@TomTaylorMade
@AlexJaffe Hang on. Are you talking about the Connor in Injustice?

Alex Jaffe ‏@AlexJaffe
@TomTaylorMade The tribute is probably well meant, but misplaced.

Alex Jaffe ‏@AlexJaffe
@TomTaylorMade But relating those characters to Connor is disrespectful to his already pretty neglected fans.

Tom Taylor ‏@TomTaylorMade
.@AlexJaffe Okay. Well. I tried.

Just go straight into Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers. It's pretty much just a continuation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did actually already read those earlier though, as well as most side issues in the Infinity arc, after I finished Annihilation/Conquest/War of Kings/Realms (including tie-ins) and Infinity Gauntlet (yeah, I've been pretty busy with MU these last couple months). I did enjoy what MU had of Avengers and New Avengers quite a bit. They were definite standouts when I started reading Infinity (and the ones I most felt a need to read all of).

I just realized my pull list has ballooned up to 25 titles, which is way too many for me to read. I also feel bad spending that much money. Help an Image fanboy trim away!

I'm striking through my proposed drops.

Black Science
Chew
Deadly Class
Invincible
Lazarus
Low
Rat Queens
Saga
Sex Criminals
Spread
The Manhattan Projects
The Wicked + The Divine
Trees
Velvet
Zero

Marvel
Captain America
Daredevil
Hawkguy :(
Iron Fist Living Weapon
Moon Knight :(
Ms. Marvel
Punisher
Rocket Raccoon

Others
American Vampire: Second Cycle
Fables

fauxtrot

Banned
Replace Iron Fist with Ms. Marvel... otherwise, that's what I'd suggest too!

edit - You could pretty easily stop pulling over half of those Image titles and trade wait. I feel like most of their books read so much better collected... and it'd save you enough money to not have to stop reading any of the series listed!

Iron Fist Living Weapon
Ms. Marvel

You seem to have crossed out the wrong title here, sir.

I'd also be leery of getting rid of Sex Criminals. The writing is consistently good. But then, it's up to you. I also like Lazarus, especially now that the story is starting to pick up. But what you may want to do is just dump everything but the must-read-now books, and trade-wait everything else. It's certainly the economically responsible way to go about it.

Messi

I'd also be leery of getting rid of Sex Criminals. The writing is consistently good. But then, it's up to you. I also like Lazarus, especially now that the story is starting to pick up. But what you may want to do is just dump everything but the must-read-now books, and trade-wait everything else. It's certainly the economically responsible way to go about it.

Do what I do, buy the floppies then buy the trade of books I like. So I buy all the trades.

Finally about to do another massive bout of catch up on my comics guys, should have plenty to post about in here again soon :) 7 Mignolaverse trades this week, got a stack of around 9/10 image books that I'm going to grab in the next week or two, can't wait. Hope everyone's good, wish I'd checked in when Marvel announced Wood was taking over from Ellis on Moon Knight.

I just realized my pull list has ballooned up to 25 titles, which is way too many for me to read. I also feel bad spending that much money. Help an Image fanboy trim away!

Haha I just did a big cull to leave myself with only the books I'm super into, before I started catching up on trades again, and NOW I'm around 25 haha.
It'll balloon as soon as I start reading y'alls recommendations again too

We know, you hate Damian and emotions.
I don't hate Damian, exactly. I wasn't in love with the character, sure, but I saw value in him through the story Morrison was telling... and that was it. He was created for a purpose, that purpose has been served, and keeping him around (or bringing him back) as a regular/permanent fixture in Batman's world isn't in the best interests of the main character, Batman.

And I love emotions! Love 'em! I'm a sad, sappy motherf*cker! Ask anyone who read that fanfic I wrote a couple of weeks ago, they'll tell you.

I've been to the punch bowl three times on Tomasi B&R now, and three times I've walked away wondering what the heck you people are getting out of it that I'm not. And I say that as someone who thinks Tomasi's GLC was better comics than Johns' GL. It has not done anything for me, and it baffles me when people say "omg best Batman ever!1!!"

Replace Iron Fist with Ms. Marvel... otherwise, that's what I'd suggest too!

edit - You could pretty easily stop pulling over half of those Image titles and trade wait. I feel like most of their books read so much better collected... and it'd save you enough money to not have to stop reading any of the series listed!

Yeah, I should have been more clear in my post. I plan on trade waiting most of the books. I'm considering dropping a lot more than what I put a strike through and getting down to 8-10 great books a month.

Hell, I could probably drop the entire Marvel list and pick them up on Marvel Unlimited half a year down the road. Except for Punisher and Daredevil, because those are my two favorite characters and I'll suport those books no matter what.
Unless Nocenti is writing them, in which case I wouldn't hang on to them forever in hopes they improve. :)

I also agree that most of the Image stuff does read very well in trade format. That's how I caught up on Chew, Invincible, and The Mahattan Projects. The only book of theirs I consider a must-read monthly is Saga, but that's the BKV fanboy in me speaking. I buy and read everything he does.

kd-z

Decided to dive straight into Annihilation, currently reading Drax the Destroyer. I HATE it when writers overdo writing a character's dialogue the way they speak. I can't describe it properly, but when you use too many (purely spoken and informal) contractions it can easily become unreadable. In Drax there is an alien who talks like that constantly. I guess it's supposed to make him seem like a hardened criminal and a low-life, but all it does is make me have to read through his lines with twice the focus. Super irritating for a non-native! :<

Messi

Yeah, I should have been more clear in my post. I plan on trade waiting most of the books. I'm considering dropping a lot more than what I put a strike through and getting down to 8-10 great books a month.

Hell, I could probably drop the entire Marvel list and pick them up on Marvel Unlimited half a year down the road. Except for Punisher and Daredevil, because those are my two favorite characters and I'll suport those books no matter what.
Unless Nocenti is writing them, in which case I wouldn't hang on to them forever in hopes they improve. :)

I also agree that most of the Image stuff does read very well in trade format. That's how I caught up on Chew, Invincible, and The Mahattan Projects. The only book of theirs I consider a must-read monthly is Saga, but that's the BKV fanboy in me speaking. I buy and read everything he does.

Oh that stung.

Holy shit Donie's still alive! :D

He's back!

:D!

Haha, cheers guys! Just nature of things being a tradewaiter unfortunately :( I catch up then it's another 6 months of waiting before I have more to buy. Eventually I run out of productive stuff to add if I'm not actually actively reading alongside everyone and then I catch up on games or something. I culled all that marvel stuff I got into last time around though haha, I enjoyed reading a lot of it but when it came to looking at myself, I just had way too many books to keep up on again. Pretty much just Batman, Wonder Woman and Batwoman again on the big two front, almost everything is Image and Dark Horse again.

Omg though, I did get the zero trade for my birthday in March though and WTF
dat ending
. I'm going to have to discuss that with some peeps.

Also I dropped Chew so I guess I'll be completely dead to Acid after now after I rejected Fear Agent last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom