• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back donie!

Cheers man, it's good to be back! Great to see pretty much everyone is still here exactly how I left them haha. Really excited to just catch up with the comic world again and get reading some stuff. I read Baltimore volume 3 yesterday, so I might share some thoughts on that later.

I actually watched the first episode of the strain last night too, was wondering if any of you guys are following it, or even if anyone read the comics? I avoided the dark horse comics for a long time after finding the actual writing style of the novels bland, and I was kind of hedging my bets that the tv series would be the best way to experience the story, because I really like the concept. Wasn't disappointed! I love how Del Toro can nail tropes and moments that could be utter cheese but just put an angle on them that makes them equally horrifying haha.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So how is Batman Eternal?

Just saw the new Batgirl design
Nope, can't deal with it.

Imo worst batfamily member costume design in years.

jim-head-shake.gif

Splatt

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

I love how every one of Conan kills is a headshot.

Shaanyboi

Banned
"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

Nothing else feels appropriate

Zombine

Banned
Cheers man, it's good to be back! Great to see pretty much everyone is still here exactly how I left them haha. Really excited to just catch up with the comic world again and get reading some stuff. I read Baltimore volume 3 yesterday, so I might share some thoughts on that later.

I actually watched the first episode of the strain last night too, was wondering if any of you guys are following it, or even if anyone read the comics? I avoided the dark horse comics for a long time after finding the actual writing style of the novels bland, and I was kind of hedging my bets that the tv series would be the best way to experience the story, because I really like the concept. Wasn't disappointed! I love how Del Toro can nail tropes and moments that could be utter cheese but just put an angle on them that makes them equally horrifying haha.

I thought that the dialogue was laughably rigid and corny. I'm hoping that the acting improves throughout the season.

GHA has the best sound effects in comics bar none. Hopefully people actually check it out and we get some discussion about it.

I agree. Its actually the first TPB I bought after reading it online a while ago.
I got a Preview issue for the upcoming on-going while at C2E2 and he did a quick sketch for the cover. Ill post a couple pics of it after work. (while the topic is still hot:)
Can't say it enough he was a really cool guy. Funny and pretty humble, that's always a plus.

tim1138

I agree. Its actually the first TPB I bought after reading it online a while ago.
I got a Preview issue for the upcoming on-going while at C2E2 and he did a quick sketch for the cover. Ill post a couple pics of it after work. (while the topic is still hot:)
Can't say it enough he was a really cool guy. Funny and pretty humble, that's always a plus.

Oh nice! He's gonna be at a Con here about a week after GHA #1 drops, so I'm gonna get that and his Manhattan Projects issues signed. If you don't mind me asking, what did he charge for the sketch?

Aaron Kuder is doing a really interesting commentary on "what might have been" in Superboy, which is getting canceled. It's really unfortunate because him and Jorge Jimenez are doing really fun, gorgeous work in that book at the moment, but both came on shortly before the writing was on the wall.

Basically,
time travel shenanigans have caused them to be in a pocket universe, with Kon-el and Jon Kent fighting against ... Jon Kent. Long story. But they have partial control over this pocket universe and turn their friends and allies into versions of themselves from other universes. One becomes a Green Lantern, another becomes a Cyborg guy, etc.
It feels like them saying this is what could have happened if the book had been allowed to continue and develop naturally.

It's a real shame. The book started out middling, with bright spots, but only found it's footing far, far too late. Hopefully the Supergirl epilogue is true which suggests Superboy will become a part of a Gen 13 team.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Don't think, read.

Sending you a code

Thank you so much, Joe! You're the man!
I'm gonna give it a read right now!

This was one of my favorite Conan kills going through. It was so satisfying due to the context, and the weight of the hit that the art conveys is so great.

I can dig that man, I have felt frustration like that before. One and done short story telling really is an art form unto itself though and imo that issue's quality extends beyond the quality of the series and simply is an extremely fascinating story on its own terms. Imagine you picked up an anthology and that was in there, without the context of unknown soldier. I just think it's brilliant. For sure though, I get that feeling of just wanting to get on with the main narrative, especially when you know your reading a series that only has so many issues, didn't quite get the full run it wanted; you really want every issue to deliver. I'm going to go back and read those posts later today when I have time to enjoy them. Partners little brother is 3 and had a sleepover with our six year old last night and they woke me up at half 5 :| and I haven't even had a coffee yet.

So in context of Hellboy, it's not crucial as such. The Mignola verse is such a clever tapestry in that often the various series do inform a great narrative or greater concepts, but they never actually crossover in the tradition methods, so it's never crucial to read one to enjoy the other. You could absolutely read HB on its own. However one you've read the island, then you read BPRD, you see they are seeding parts of the world's mythology across the books. Concepts like (and you may not want to read this example if you want to be very dark on some of the ideas later in the series)
our world's time as we know it is over
are strengthened when you look at the bigger of the books and realise that the question is not
will the world end
but
which way is it going to end, and to what end
. They write these things so well though, you don't really feel like you're only getting one half of anything if you only read HB, or BPRD. It's just when you read both you realise the whole is bigger than you thought it is (I don't know if this makes sense anymore haha). Probably the only book I wouldn't read totally cold is Abe because so much of it is a reaction to BPRD and a fleshing out of the everyman's place in the BPRD's world now, but even then. In a way, it's the perfect starting point haha. I honestly have found literally all of it amazing though, I think the only trade out of them all I look upon with a little disdain is volume 2 of witchfinder but even then, in context of other books it's pretty decent.

You got some good explanations to the trade releases but I just wanted to add that those. Short answer though I guess and my point is, don't be too daunted! Yes there's a lot but you can absolutely break it up and take your time. It took me years to catch up, and I went all the way through Hellboy first, then BPRD, then the various extra series. The official split point is after HB volume 5, but you really can read straight through Hellboy volume 13 for example, then go all the way back and start on the BPRD. There's no overt spoiling.

I'll definitely have to re-read that issue in a few weeks or so and see how I like it without that feeling of just wanting to get back to the main narrative. It was definitely a really well-done standalone issue, but yeah, I need to give it another shot soon.

Thanks for that Hellboy write-up, too! Very good information. I was wondering about the reading order stuff the other day, too, since I'm planning to start buying the Library Editions and BPRD hardcovers in the near future (I've read some Hellboy in the past and totally loved it and I've been craving more Hellboy for like the past month). I should be picking up the first Library Edition in my IST order at the end of the month, so I'm really excited.

Good luck with the kids and getting your coffee, by the way. :p

Aaron Kuder is doing a really interesting commentary on "what might have been" in Superboy, which is getting canceled. It's really unfortunate because him and Jorge Jimenez are doing really fun, gorgeous work in that book at the moment, but both came on shortly before the writing was on the wall.

Basically,
time travel shenanigans have caused them to be in a pocket universe, with Kon-el and Jon Kent fighting against ... Jon Kent. Long story. But they have partial control over this pocket universe and turn their friends and allies into versions of themselves from other universes. One becomes a Green Lantern, another becomes a Cyborg guy, etc.
It feels like them saying this is what could have happened if the book had been allowed to continue and develop naturally.

It's a real shame. The book started out middling, with bright spots, but only found it's footing far, far too late. Hopefully the Supergirl epilogue is true which suggests Superboy will become a part of a Gen 13 team.

I mean, I'm sure it would have been really great, yeah, definitely, oh, I'm sure, but, um, WHO CARES. BEN CALDWELL.

Smell ya later, guys! Sounds like it would have been a real blast.

Basically,

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07...comics/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That's interesting.

I imagine Rafa just randomly and uncontroably laughing on his WalMart shift

" Yeah that's on aisle eight ma'am by thHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EARTH 2 WAS SO SHIT"

Oh nice! He's gonna be at a Con here about a week after GHA #1 drops, so I'm gonna get that and his Manhattan Projects issues signed. If you don't mind me asking, what did he charge for the sketch?

Nice.
Ummmm... damn, I wanna say just a signed copy of the preview issue was $10 or $15. And he was offering to do sketched covers on the blank cover for like $10 more. So like $20/25 total price.

First I just bought the blank preview issue and he signed it. That was like $10/$15. I came back like an hour later and decided to have him do a sketch, so I think that was an extra $10.
I was thinking that seems a little expensive but I guess it was limited copies (found that quote on comicsheatingup.com)
"Just like the convention previews that are going around on Spread right now, Ryan Browne did a Black and White Sketch cover preview that was limited to 120 copies for C2E2. This is the one to try to find"
* It was a quick sketch, not even 5 min. During the middle of it he did an interview for some TV channel or whatever. It was cool to hear him talk about whats coming up and all that good stuff.

I wouldn't wish Tom Taylor on my worst enemy. He's like Toby from The Office, he just sucks the joy and life out of anything he comes near. I think Marvel just needs ro let some characters and properties rest for a little while. They have no clue what to do with Iron Man, FF, The Hulk and Wolverine. I never thought they would have the audacity to try and top Gillen's pathetic Iron Man run, which for instance, Greg Land's art was not the worst thing about it. For Hulk, they've done everything to giving him armor, an evil doppleganger, making him special needs and dragging him into Inhumanity. The FF had their children taken away by CPS. Wolverine they've done everything from giving him armor, guns, making him special needs, making him Canadian, making him Japanese and giving him armor. These writers and editors have shown they have no idea how to make compelling stories or create interesting dynamics.

tim1138

Nice.
Ummmm... damn, I wanna say just a signed copy of the preview issue was $10 or $15. And he was offering to do sketched covers on the blank cover for like $10 more. So like $20/25 total price.

First I just bought the blank preview issue and he signed it. That was like $10/$15. I came back like an hour later and decided to have him do a sketch, so I think that was an extra $10.
I was thinking that seems a little expensive but I guess it was limited copies (found that quote on comicsheatingup.com)

* It was a quick sketch, not even 5 min. During the middle of it he did an interview for some TV channel or whatever. It was cool to hear him talk about whats coming up and all that good stuff.

That's not bad at all, awesome.

I wouldn't wish Tom Taylor on my worst enemy. He's like Toby from The Office, he just sucks the joy and life out of anything he comes near. I think Marvel just needs ro let some characters and properties rest for a little while. They have no clue what to do with Iron Man, FF, The Hulk and Wolverine. I never thought they would have the audacity to try and top Gillen's pathetic Iron Man run, which for instance, Greg Land's art was not the worst thing about it. For Hulk, they've done everything to giving him armor, an evil doppleganger, making him special needs and dragging him into Inhumanity. The FF had their children taken away by CPS. Wolverine they've done everything from giving him armor, guns, making him special needs, making him Canadian, making him Japanese and giving him armor. These writers and editors have shown they have no idea how to make compelling stories or create interesting dynamics.

I wish this weren't 100% accurate.

Thank god for all the other books these characs appear in.

on.

Thanks for that Hellboy write-up, too! Very good information. I was wondering about the reading order stuff the other day, too, since I'm planning to start buying the Library Editions and BPRD hardcovers in the near future (I've read some Hellboy in the past and totally loved it and I've been craving more Hellboy for like the past month). I should be picking up the first Library Edition in my IST order at the end of the month, so I'm really excited.

Good luck with the kids and getting your coffee, by the way. :p

No bother man. The hellboy, BPRD and all of the Mignolaverse stuff is basically my favourite thing in comics, but I barely ever recommend them because there is so much. When people show initial interest there though, I try get in there because while the quantity is a big ask, the actual reading order is not that complex. When I originally read, I read through volume 5 of Hellboy and then switched between volumes of HB and BPRD in publishing order. It was kind of a task ,especially the way Dark Horse have reprinted a few things but now when I reread, I don't even bother, there is little no reason to do it that way. You can, but you get everything by reading right through HB then BPRD than if you tried to juggle between both.

One thing I'll say, and this is purely a personal preference thing: I very much recommend the library collections of hellboy because there are not too many issues in each one. Enough to be worth the asking price, but not too many. On the other hand, I myself own the BPRD PoF omnibuses, and I will likely rebuy in regular trade form at some point if they are available, and I'll probably skip the Hell On Earth omnibuses when they finally arrive too. They aren't actually oversized and imo the number of issues in each can make them unwieldly too read. The binding is fine, not an issue there, but just a physical pain of trying to get comfortable. The huge plus though is the asking price for them, especially once they all hit paperback. Much cheaper than the indivdual trades and I couldn't really disagree with choosing them if money is a factor. I originally bought them despite it screwing up the spine numbers of the 1940s books, because I wa sin the process of buying everything mignola-wise, and it was pretty expensive. Just a thought though, and very subjective! How far have you read in Hellboy previously? 1-5 are great but really beyond that is when things get incredible. If you've never went that far, you have a real treat ahead.

Haha thanks! I've made it through the day so far, keep catching my eyes fluttering shut though, we've always been luck with the little one, he's six but I literally have to drag him out of bed in the morning, he would stay there all day. My girlfriends brother on the other hand, would get up at 3am if you let him. Of course he's went home, and I'm stuck with a grumpy boy who's used to getting a good 3-4 more hours sleep than he's had. Managed to appease him by putting pacific rim on this afternoon though, so we're getting there.

Also PREVIEW FOR STUMPTOWN #1 GUYS. If you like Rucka, Gotham Central, Lazarus, there's a good chance you'll like this. Hell, if your a Brubaker fan you might like this. If anyone didn't ever get to check the two mini's that preceded this series but likes crime comcis, or female lead books, give this a look. Justin Greenwood is a good artist who has came on leaps and bounds with Resurrection and his first arc of Wasteland. Recently did volume 1 of the fuse.

Kipp

Don't think, read.

Sending you a code

Aaand just finished reading the whole volume in one sitting (which is pretty rare for me). That was really great. The story and art were both excellent, like you all said.
The jumping through time thing made for some really great pacing.
A couple of the highlights for me included the part where Thor is going around to all the different worlds investigating the missing gods (loved seeing the glimpses of new worlds drawn by Ribic) and the two different scenes with the librarian. His dialogue was hilarious. That utter contempt he had for Thor and his family was too funny.

I like to picture it more as a descent into madness sort of scenario. He's just walking the aisles muttering to himself "Tom Taylor... ha! Tom Taylor writing Iron Man... Not like this comics superstar right here could do a better job or anything... and... and Warren Ellis... oh don't get me started on that guy... aha... ahahaha... Ha! Hahaha! HAAHAHAAAAA! HEEEEEEHEEEHEEHEE!"

Kipp

No bother man. The hellboy, BPRD and all of the Mignolaverse stuff is basically my favourite thing in comics, but I barely ever recommend them because there is so much. When people show initial interest there though, I try get in there because while the quantity is a big ask, the actual reading order is not that complex. When I originally read, I read through volume 5 of Hellboy and then switched between volumes of HB and BPRD in publishing order. It was kind of a task ,especially the way Dark Horse have reprinted a few things but now when I reread, I don't even bother, there is little no reason to do it that way. You can, but you get everything by reading right through HB then BPRD than if you tried to juggle between both.

One thing I'll say, and this is purely a personal preference thing: I very much recommend the library collections of hellboy because there are not too many issues in each one. Enough to be worth the asking price, but not too many. On the other hand, I myself own the BPRD PoF omnibuses, and I will likely rebuy in regular trade form at some point if they are available, and I'll probably skip the Hell On Earth omnibuses when they finally arrive too. They aren't actually oversized and imo the number of issues in each can make them unwieldly too read. The binding is fine, not an issue there, but just a physical pain of trying to get comfortable. The huge plus though is the asking price for them, especially once they all hit paperback. Much cheaper than the indivdual trades and I couldn't really disagree with choosing them if money is a factor. I originally bought them despite it screwing up the spine numbers of the 1940s books, because I wa sin the process of buying everything mignola-wise, and it was pretty expensive. Just a thought though, and very subjective! How far have you read in Hellboy previously? 1-5 are great but really beyond that is when things get incredible. If you've never went that far, you have a real treat ahead.

Haha thanks! I've made it through the day so far, keep catching my eyes fluttering shut though, we've always been luck with the little one, he's six but I literally have to drag him out of bed in the morning, he would stay there all day. My girlfriends brother on the other hand, would get up at 3am if you let him. Of course he's went home, and I'm stuck with a grumpy boy who's used to getting a good 3-4 more hours sleep than he's had. Managed to appease him by putting pacific rim on this afternoon though, so we're getting there.

Oh man. Yet another reading order to consider. Haha. I do like the sound of that much more straightforward reading order sorted by Library Editions/omnibuses rather than by arc though.
So if you could read it over again for the first time, would you just read all of Hellboy and then all of BPRD or would you still switch off volumes like you did when you first read it? It wouldn't be any more trouble for me to switch off volumes if that way makes for slightly better reading.
And thanks for the opinions on the collected editions! I was definitely already planning to get the Library Editions since it's just such a great format (I already own a few other Dark Horse Library Editions, so I'm totally sold on the quality of those).
I also don't have much of an issue with unwieldy hardcovers and am also pretty cheap, so I think the Plague of Frogs omnibuses are what I'm going to go with. I do appreciate your thoughts on that though!

It was a little while ago that I read the Hellboy stuff, but I'm pretty sure Box Full of Evil was the last Hellboy story I read. That's great to hear that it gets significantly better still! I thoroughly enjoyed all the stuff that I did read, so I can only imagine how much I'll love the stuff past volume 5.

Glad to hear you and your kid are making it through the lack of sleep okay. :p

Also PREVIEW FOR STUMPTOWN #1 GUYS. If you like Rucka, Gotham Central, Lazarus, there's a good chance you'll like this. Hell, if your a Brubaker fan you might like this. If anyone didn't ever get to check the two mini's that preceded this series but likes crime comcis, or female lead books, give this a look. Justin Greenwood is a good artist who has came on leaps and bounds with Resurrection and his first arc of Wasteland. Recently did volume 1 of the fuse.

Oh man. I loved that preview. I guess I ought to check out the previous Stumptown stuff soon so I can pick this up when it comes out.

Wow, why all the hate? His Earth 2 isn't amazing, but I don't think it's terrible. It's a 7/10 for me. And his Injustice is top tier! Seriously, the pacing in his conversations is amazing. Do you think he will be worse than the current Iron Man writer?

So if you could read it over again for the first time, would you just read all of Hellboy and then all of BPRD or would you still switch off volumes like you did when you first read it? It wouldn't be any more trouble for me to switch off volumes if that way makes for slightly better reading.

It was a little while ago that I read the Hellboy stuff, but I'm pretty sure Box Full of Evil was the last Hellboy story I read. That's great to hear that it gets significantly better still! I thoroughly enjoyed all the stuff that I did read, so I can only imagine how much I'll love the stuff past volume 5.

Oh man. I loved that preview. I guess I ought to check out the previous Stumptown stuff soon so I can pick this up when it comes out.

If I could go back man, I would probably do something like Hellboy [1-7], [BPRD 1-end of plague of frogs, whatever that is], Hellboy [8-12], then BPRD Hell On Earth - up to date, Hellboy In Hell. But that would just to break up each series a little and leave me looknig forward to getting back to the other. Very closely I would just straight up go HB [1-12} then BPRd [All]. This is against what I did do with is Hellboy 1-5, then lots of 2 bprd, 1 hellboy, 4 bprd, 1 HB, 1 BPRD, and so on. But even then, the points where you would break to switch over if you wanted to do exact publishing order, aren't always the actually ends of the trades haha. It probably took away from the enjoyment a little, trying to keep myself straight, I had a big chart I kept referencing after I finished a story. It's jsut not necessariy. You absolutely get cool things out of reading both, but not in that actual way. VERY few events are ever references in the other after they go down their own paths after Hellboy 5. I can think of maybe one thing in each and they are very brief small one-two panel references. It's more the greater mythology that is strengthened and some of the bigger ideas the general mignolverse is about, but nothing like "Oh, if you don't read that hellboy story and then that BPRd story, the next hellboy story, you're not going to get as much out of that". It's incredible actually how little that's ever been an issue, I'm not sure how they've pulled it off so well.

The only books I recommend reading in a certain order is there is one Lobster book that I think significantly rewards you if you read it ar a certain point in reading the BPRD (I think rouighly after volumes 5 or 6), and Abe directly spins out of BPRD Hell on Earth so I wouldn't ever say osmething like "OH, you could read Abe first, then the hellboy series, then BPRD". You could but it would spoil some stuff and be strange. Otherwise, you can really go at each series as you pelase. The other Lobster books, the first two abe compilation books and the witchfinder stuff also, you can read whenever, nothing can be lost if you don't read em, and they will only serve to strengthen things if you ever get into it so far that you read em. You could only ever read the hellboy comcis and none of the other stuff and never suffer. IT's literally the epitomy of the perfect shared universe. Many benefits to reading it all, no real downsides if you end up only liking one of the books and only sticking with it. Huge mignola books meandering ramble over
for now

And omg man, if you've only ever made it as far as box of evil, I could almost say you don't really know what Hellboy is about yet!! haha. You have extremely revealing and mindblowing stuff ahead. Those Dark Horse trades are expensive though, I feel for you. Even if you jsut do Library and omnibuses, it'll leave a hole in your pocket for a bit.

Oh and I would definitely recommend the previous two stumptown books, but they're not really essential either. The books are a silly size and price for their actual lengths and while the content is great, the series thus far has been quite one and done. I'm just really excited for a better format for the trades, the opportunity to really delve into the characters and hell, just more stuff from Rucka. Stumptown, Lazarus and Veil from him this year, so good. But definitely, check out the original stumptowns if your interested!

Man, you guys are making me want to check out Hellboy now. My only experience with the universe are the movies, but I could see myself digging the comics.

I always look at the library editions at my comic shop but they sell them at full price so I always pass on them. ~$29 on IST is hard to resist tho. I think I'll throw in the first one for the next order I make.

Man, you guys are making me want to check out Hellboy now. My only experience with the universe are the movies, but I could see myself digging the comics.

I always look at the library editions at my comic shop but they sell them at full price so I always pass on them. ~$29 on IST is hard to resist tho. I think I'll throw in the first one for the next order I make.
Dooo ittt.
That was the first Hellboy that I read. It is well worth it. Very well made library edition.
I got it on Hellboy day at a LCS for $30.

Kipp

If I could go back man, I would probably do something like Hellboy [1-7], [BPRD 1-end of plague of frogs, whatever that is], Hellboy [8-12], then BPRD Hell On Earth - up to date, Hellboy In Hell. But that would just to break up each series a little and leave me looknig forward to getting back to the other. Very closely I would just straight up go HB [1-12} then BPRd [All]. This is against what I did do with is Hellboy 1-5, then lots of 2 bprd, 1 hellboy, 4 bprd, 1 HB, 1 BPRD, and so on. But even then, the points where you would break to switch over if you wanted to do exact publishing order, aren't always the actually ends of the trades haha. It probably took away from the enjoyment a little, trying to keep myself straight, I had a big chart I kept referencing after I finished a story. It's jsut not necessariy. You absolutely get cool things out of reading both, but not in that actual way. VERY few events are ever references in the other after they go down their own paths after Hellboy 5. I can think of maybe one thing in each and they are very brief small one-two panel references. It's more the greater mythology that is strengthened and some of the bigger ideas the general mignolverse is about, but nothing like "Oh, if you don't read that hellboy story and then that BPRd story, the next hellboy story, you're not going to get as much out of that". It's incredible actually how little that's ever been an issue, I'm not sure how they've pulled it off so well.

The only books I recommend reading in a certain order is there is one Lobster book that I think significantly rewards you if you read it ar a certain point in reading the BPRD (I think rouighly after volumes 5 or 6), and Abe directly spins out of BPRD Hell on Earth so I wouldn't ever say osmething like "OH, you could read Abe first, then the hellboy series, then BPRD". You could but it would spoil some stuff and be strange. Otherwise, you can really go at each series as you pelase. The other Lobster books, the first two abe compilation books and the witchfinder stuff also, you can read whenever, nothing can be lost if you don't read em, and they will only serve to strengthen things if you ever get into it so far that you read em. You could only ever read the hellboy comcis and none of the other stuff and never suffer. IT's literally the epitomy of the perfect shared universe. Many benefits to reading it all, no real downsides if you end up only liking one of the books and only sticking with it. Huge mignola books meandering ramble over
for now

And omg man, if you've only ever made it as far as box of evil, I could almost say you don't really know what Hellboy is about yet!! haha. You have extremely revealing and mindblowing stuff ahead. Those Dark Horse trades are expensive though, I feel for you. Even if you jsut do Library and omnibuses, it'll leave a hole in your pocket for a bit.

Oh and I would definitely recommend the previous two stumptown books, but they're not really essential either. The books are a silly size and price for their actual lengths and while the content is great, the series thus far has been quite one and done. I'm just really excited for a better format for the trades, the opportunity to really delve into the characters and hell, just more stuff from Rucka. Stumptown, Lazarus and Veil from him this year, so good. But definitely, check out the original stumptowns if your interested!

When you're saying "Hellboy 1-7," are you talking the Library Edition volumes or the TPB volumes? I'm going to guess TPBs since you also say "8-12" and there are only 6 Library Editions. Haha
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm pretty sure the first option where I read Plague of Frogs between Hellboy 7 and 8 would be my best bet, mostly to mix it up a little bit.
And thanks for putting my fears to rest about possibly reading Hellboy/BPRD in the "wrong" order. What you said sounds much more straightforward and simple than I was making it out to be in my head after staring at a bunch of different reading orders the other night and getting a headache.
After I read the first batch of Hellboy and start reading Plague of Frogs, I'll be sure to look into some reading order lists to figure out when to read the Lobster/Abe/Witchfinder books (if I decide I want even more reading material). Thanks for the heads up.

Awesome! Well I'm looking forward to it even more now!
And yeah, the Library Editions aren't too cheap as far as the dollar/page count ratio goes, but when it's such a high quality package and such great comics that I'm certain I'll re-read at least once, I don't really it. But I'll still probably try to space out the purchases so that I don't kill my wallet like Rafa did (think he bought all the Library Editions and BPRD omnibuses in one order).

Yeah, I looked up the two Stumptown books on IST and they were $20 for 150 pages. Yeesh. I really wish Oni gave better discounts, because their books are always really pricey.
Amazon does have the first volume of Stumptown used for pretty cheap, so I'll think about picking that up.
Thanks for the advice though, I'll almost definitely hold off on buying either of the volumes new at least. There's too much other great stuff I haven't read yet that I can get for much cheaper than the Stumptown hardcovers. Haha

:D
Do it.

You just reminded me that one of my friends dragged me to the midnight premiere of Hellboy 2 back in high school. I knew absolutely nothing about Hellboy and thought it was one of the most boring movies ever. I almost fell asleep in the theater, except couldn't because the theater was super cold and I was freezing, so I was too uncomfortable to sleep. Haha. Not a good time overall. Although I'm sure I'd enjoy the movie quite a bit if I saw it today.

YAY HELLBOYVERSE

I'm following this Publishing Order Spreadsheet I have a link to on my iPad and am currently up to this awesome (well, they're all awesome) bit where Abe Sapien: The Drowning, BPRD 1946, and BPRD Revival were all going on at the same time.

It really only works because I bought every (EVERY) Hellboyverse comic digitally during two very insane sales. So I can just read each month issue by issue. If you haven't done this (and I can't even really recommend it because their app, and the resolutions on early books, are total crud) the spreadsheet is pretty useless.

But you miss out on awesome months where BPRD was like "Who is this Memnan Saa guy? And why is Lobster Johnson here?" and then an issue of Lobster Johnson comes out and says "I'm gonna fight Memnan Saa, crime lord!" and you're like "WHOALY SHIT!!!"

But really, these comics are the best damn comics. Just recently, BPRD went from insane Akira fight in the middle of Manhattan to two part scary ghost possession/1949 flashback, all while Abe is stuck in a Stephen King novel and Witchfinder is fighting like monster eels in Downton Abbey. They are basically every comic you would ever want to read.

Considering how expensive Hellboyverse trades are and how rarely the (very well priced) omnibuses and Library edishes come out, the only way to read Hellboyverse is to buy it monthly.

#FactsOnly

Kipp

YAY HELLBOYVERSE

I'm following this Publishing Order Spreadsheet I have a link to on my iPad and am currently up to this awesome (well, they're all awesome) bit where Abe Sapien: The Drowning, BPRD 1946, and BPRD Revival were all going on at the same time.

It really only works because I bought every (EVERY) Hellboyverse comic digitally during two very insane sales. So I can just read each month issue by issue. If you haven't done this (and I can't even really recommend it because their app, and the resolutions on early books, are total crud) the spreadsheet is pretty useless.

But you miss out on awesome months where BPRD was like "Who is this Memnan Saa guy? And why is Lobster Johnson here?" and then an issue of Lobster Johnson comes out and says "I'm gonna fight Memnan Saa, crime lord!" and you're like "WHOALY SHIT!!!"

But really, these comics are the best damn comics. Just recently, BPRD went from insane Akira fight in the middle of Manhattan to two part scary ghost possession/1949 flashback, all while Abe is stuck in a Stephen King novel and Witchfinder is fighting like monster eels in Downton Abbey. They are basically every comic you would ever want to read.

Considering how expensive Hellboyverse trades are and how rarely the (very well priced) omnibuses and Library edishes come out, the only way to read Hellboyverse is to buy it monthly.

#FactsOnly

Amazing.
As if I wasn't already looking forward to reading Hellboy enough, Birdie gets in here and turns the hype level up to 11.

Wool

Regarding the X-Men, most of the books took a dive. I still read Magneto which gets better every issue, even if it's Mags being all "grmbl grmbl I was this man with amazing powers, now I'm not. Must still avenge fellow mutants. Smoldering with generic rage". And I still like All New X-Men, but everything else is so blah. I miss Jason Aaron on Wolverine & the X-Men. I agree with the notion that Uncanny Avengers is the best X-book around at this time. Speaking of which, I've decided to collect UA TP's just because. Volume 1 should arrive next week.

Ima let you finish, but X-Force is greatest X-book currently being released. Simon Spurrier is a rising comics superstar. Every character in the book is in the most fucked up situation and they make a team out of it. Also has some great commentary on current political situations like the NSA and such.

Parch

That's pretty much been my Hellboy/BPRD experience. You don't need to read everything, and I've never felt lost or thought it was getting convoluted by just reading the occasional mini. Even though internal numbering suggest it's part of the big picture, when a miniseries is 1 of 5, I'm much more willing to commit short term to a mini than an ongoing.

Think I'm going to go ahead and drop She-Hulk. Just finished the latest issue; Wimberly's style is not my cup of tea, but more importantly Soule's writing isn't doing anything for me and these last two issues felt like a whole lotta nothing. If I keep buying it, I'd only be doing so for Pulido.

Vibranium

Banned

Heh, you gotta drop some truth bombs if you're on the path to comics superstardom.

Imagine if a lot of us from Comics GAF all went to DC's offices, Rafa would probably lose it laughing and get ejected. DiDio would probably flee the building.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Wow, why all the hate? His Earth 2 isn't amazing, but I don't think it's terrible. It's a 7/10 for me. And his Injustice is top tier! Seriously, the pacing in his conversations is amazing. Do you think he will be worse than the current Iron Man writer?

No idea why he's getting a backlash. The new Superman alone justifies him on Earth 2. In an age of ridiculous 'LOOK AT HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE' rubbish, he quietly has a black kid take up the Superman mantle without making it into a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom