• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I've had a chance to read this week has been Robin Rises, and Supergirl. Supergirl was alright, nothing amazing. Weird how
she was able to get the Red Lantern ring off by going into the sun. : / but ok.
Robin Rises was fantastic though, this has to be one of the best times to be reading Batman. Tomasi, and Snyder are just killing it for me. Two of the best writers, for me, to ever handle the character pumping out great stories at the same time.

The only place Brian Wood would ever explode is in some aspiring female comic writer's mouth.

pinocchioo.gif

Wow, the kid gloves are off with that comment.

Tendo

Buddy of mine wants to try Marvel U with my account - is that doable? Like two people using Netflix? He just wants to check it out before jumping in and I just want to be sure I don't get banned. I didn't find anything in the TOS and can't find anything online. Anyone know if it allows account sharing?

Owzers

Invincible #112: I thought the Robot/Monster Girl arc several issues ago was disappointing, the worst in awhile, but with these last few issues have made me like them a little more as they were needed to fully enjoy what's currently going on. Random 7/10, Kirkman destroying worlds.

Does anyone else here feel that Marvel's female characters aren't as interesting as DC's?

Marvel women tend to be very powerful power-wise, but when it comes to personality and story, they're kinda meh.

Cheska

Does anyone else here feel that Marvel's female characters aren't as interesting as DC's?

Marvel women tend to be very powerful power-wise, but when it comes to personality and story, they're kinda meh.

Not at all. If anything, I think the exact opposite. Take a look at Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel. Both excellent examples of witty banter and strong personalities.

Then we have the X-Men, most of the Avengers cast. She-Hulk!

I love most of the DC ensemble, but many times I feel like we see the same characters with a different coat of paint.

Messi

As a general rule I enjoy DC's women more.

That said, Marvel have Magik. So they win.

The publisher doesn't matter so much as how the character is written, and oftentimes by whom. Many writers have a better handle on some characters than others. I feel like I usually get more enjoyment out of a $2.99 Ms. Marvel book than most any of the $3.99 Marvel books I buy. I like Batwoman a lot, but she still feels like a very cold and stoic character. I want to see her personal relationships developed more.

ReiGun

It's a mixed bag.

For me, I dig some Emma Frost (and the Cuckoos), Storm, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, She-Hulk, Shuri, Monica Rambeau, and Medusa. Conversely, could not be more disinterested in Scarlet Witch, Rogue, Jean Grey, Black Widow, or either of the Marvels (I don't care how tumblr cool they are :p).

This is roughly equal to DC, where I got Power Girl, Raven, Black Canary, Huntress, Stephanie Brown, Lois Lane, Amanda Waller, Mera, and Wonder Woman (my second favorite hero) on my cool list, and Catwoman, Carol Ferris (really most non-Lois love interests), Talia Al Ghul, and Katana on my "well, I suppose someone likes them" list.

kmfdmpig

I thought DC female characters were in a better place pre-Nu52. Zatanna and Power Girl were top notch female lead books.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
What happened to She-Hulk to have the art style change and how long will it last? It's terrible and has me wanting to drop it ASAP.

What you said. But the exact opposite.

The marquee DC heroine, Wonder Woman, exemplifies just how stale their stable is. There are one or two rare exceptions, but as a whole DC female characters are awful.

Owzers

Walking Dead #129: Having just read Invincible #112, walking dead seems mighty boring. I'm a little detached from whats' going on, the ending...
Just felt flat, Negan's chilling in prison forever and Negan wants to trick the super gullible scooby doo group

And i feel like almost all DC characters have zero personality, only thing that shook that up was Damian and him teaming up with Dick in Batman and Robin and we see how that ended.

Walking Dead #129: Having just read Invincible #112, walking dead seems mighty boring. I'm a little detached from whats' going on, the ending...
Just felt flat, Negan's chilling in prison forever and Negan wants to trick the super gullible scooby doo group

I think this could actually go somewhere interesting. But the new group hasn't been developed very much just yet, so we'll see where things go. I was ready to drop the book during All-Out War, but I'm glad I kept with it. For now, at least. But if I get bored again, I'm done. Invincible is still Kirkman's better book, I think.

IrishNinja

honestly, Walking Dead's big shtick has been trying to settle into things & pull the rug out in a way you either didn't see coming, or at least not to that extent

so yeah, again if things go that predictably i'll be pretty disappointed. i've quit (and clearly returned to) the book in the past, but it wouldn't take much to drop it again for a while

also ya'll bashing too many names here:

Brian Wood - go read Demo
Frank Quitely - go look at his art in Sandman Endless Nights cause goddamn

fauxtrot

Banned
Kipp, I'm gonna be buying a MS Surface tablet soon and will be following in your footsteps (minus all that "reading" you do with your big red "omnibus"). Maybe we can collaborate on some art pieces! Until then, if you need a colorist, hit me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom