• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd-z

I didn't like Amp :/

I thought I didn't like him either, but watching Yorick putting him to rest was very emotional for me.

:<

The entire second to last issue of Y was just heartbreaking and beautiful. What a great series!

Sadist

But... Magic isn't fun. She's just this brooding young woman an- zzzzzzzz...

Have to be honest though, no one of the X-girls aren't particular interesting right now. Better yet, the only exiting mutants right now are young Cyclops and Magneto. The latter is moody as hell, not going to deny that, but that book is fun to read at this point.

Also, who's reading the current Transformer series Robots in Disguise or More than Meets the Eye?

Are both worth reading? I think I hear more fanfare for MTMTE. I actually really enjoy a lot of the IDW transformer stuff, I feel like they do more character building for the property than the shows/games/movies ever did.
I read both. I have to say MTMTE is the one of the best TF books I've read. Especially now with this diverse cast of characters looking for the Knights of Cybertron is just fun to read. Rodimus still acts like a kid at times, but now with Megatron as his captain (and no, co-captain isn't a real title; they only gave it to you so would stop whining - Megatron) they already have a fun dynamic. Plus, it has Whirl. That guy is insane. In the best way possible.

RID is okay. It's another "hey guys let's go back to earth" thing and welp, the human race is done with transforming alien robots. Not a bad read. Thundercracker is still cool.
Prowl being a dick to the max is somehow... addicting to read.

But... Magic isn't fun. She's just this brooding young woman an- zzzzzzzz...

Have to be honest though, no one of the X-girls aren't particular interesting right now.
I'll agree with that, the last X-book I really enjoyed was the Marvel Knights mini which featured Kitty and Rogue.

Although X-Force is shaping up nicely.

Who wants todo a Zero Year reread with me this weekend? I pulled them all last night but fell asleep at 10:15 last night. Starting tonight.

Zombine

Banned
Who wants todo a Zero Year reread with me this weekend? I pulled them all last night but fell asleep at 10:15 last night. Starting tonight.

I think it would be nice if we did something like this once a month. ComicGAF Book Club or something. It could get people to experience new books, or possibly make someone read a bit more (which is never a bad thing.) Maybe Spike will help set something up.

I think it would be nice if we did something like this once a month. ComicGAF Book Club or something. It could get people to experience new books, or possibly make someone read a bit more (which is never a bad thing.) Maybe Spike will help set something up.

We tried it with new threads, didn't work for too long.

My friend gave me his digital code for that 100th X-men book, because I didn't believe him it could be that terrible. I was wrong, I was painfully wrong.

I should have trusted Comic Gaf on this one, and my friend.

Zombine

Banned
We tried it with new threads, didn't work for too long.

That's unfortunate. It could be a lot of fun.

My friend gave me his digital code for that 100th X-men book, because I didn't believe him it could be that terrible. I was wrong, I was painfully wrong.

Brother you got that for free. I actually walked into my comic shop and said "golly, I sure do love X-Men. This will totally be worth it. Look at that awesome cover! Here's $4 Marvel."

Arksy

Between Y The Last Man and Saga, I think BKV has catapulted to the top tier of my favourite writers. Now I'm just hungry for more awesome series. I tried trasmet, but found it very difficult to get into.

About Baltimore. I've got a bud who has the "The Plague Ships" singles so I can give this a try. He says it's more horror than the rest of the Hellboy stuff so I'm immediately intrigued.

Hum. See, I've always considered some of the Mignola books creepy at times, sometimes kooky, even sci-fi-ish at time, but I've always had a hard time calling them horror. But honestly, I would have a hard time calling anything horror in comics, so that's really on me. I do agree with your friend though that it definitely is a liiittle bit harder edged than Hellboy or BPRD. You see in one of the pics below, the kid watching in horror, some of the stuff involving the inquisitor can be quite brutal, and they don't really push the vampires etc. in a folklorish way, the way hellboy does, it is more just horrible things. Don't go in expecting something like Severed but in a general sense, I do agree, it's more than the other stuff. Maybe not quite where BPRd wasteland was at, that's probably one of the msot horror-ish stuff I've read out of all the mignola stuff. I think it's the artstyle they go for, most are fantastic at drawing the most grotesque monsters, but it's not a harsh look either, sometimes quite cartoony. Campbell though, Patric Reynolds, that stuf fis probably more horror-esque in style and thus gives the stories that push when those guys are pencilling. Definitely check it out though haha!!

I'd like to see some pics, please! And thanks for the write-up, you've piqued my curiosity :)

Haha, these are so bad man, I apologise in advance but I tried. I don't want to clog up the thread with images so I'll just do some links :)

Front Cover
Under the Dust jacket
Choice interior #1
Choice interior #2
The whole series of trades has a nice uniform style to the covers, by Mike
As do the spines, so they look great on the shelf
And finally, you can see all the HCs have sewn binding, which is nice!

So there you go. Pulled out the other books for a few illustrative purposes. Basically they are real nice pieces of kit. They have a real nice consistent look, both on front and back, and spines. You can see the dustcovers aren't baggy or anything horrible like that. Sewn binding which puts them a good notch above the average dark horse trade in my book. I know I didn't put too many picture son the insides there, which you probably wanted most, but I feared spoiling things, but you can see, the art is really really great, good printing, paper quality is real nice, no horrid waviness. It occurs that I should have snapped too that every one of them has a real nice lengthy intro, and conceptual art stuff at the back. Dark Horse charge a bit much for their trades often, but I think they really bring it with these!

I'd love to read along with you guys for the first trades worth man :) that's all that's out in book form so far, but I loved it, can't wait for more.

Jorge Jimenez is so much fun.

Qd0EDlc.jpg

eoQccQl.jpg

Yeah I just like his Detective Comics run much better, just so atmospheric.

Jock and Francesco added a lot to that. I think it was easier for Snyder to find the voice of Dick as Batman than Bruce as Batman. Like I said, in Zero Year, they found their Bruce.

Psssshh, Zero Year is one of the best Batman stories ever told.

I think this is Synder's best story since he started his run with Capullo. He did a really good job re introducing Bruce his supporting cast and Gotham for the New 52. Plus Capullo's art is goregous. I remember when fans were hesistant when he got the job I knew from his work from Spawn his art would fit in well.

Parch

That's unfortunate. It could be a lot of fun.
Yeah, the comic book club didn't really work. Some people get a bug up their ass about spoilers, but how can you have a book club and not talk about the book? So you get a lot of posts of nothing but "it's good". Unfortunately, it was a waste of time IMO.

That sounds like a good Idea. I got the kid tonight but I will start tonight
I agree korupt,, Zero Year is amazingly great. Just my opinion tho.

C.O.W.L. #1 is currently free on Comixology. I enjoyed it, and it's worth trying for nothing.

And I literally just deleted Zero Year off my tablet two days ago. I'll download them again and read it over the weekend. I haven't read the last few chapters.

Bii

I'm just glad that I didn't pick it up myself. I flipped through it while I was at my LCS and saw absolutely nothing that caught my eye. I think I flipped through the entire book and still couldn't find a reason to pick it up.

Zombine

Banned
I'm just glad that I didn't pick it up myself. I flipped through it while I was at my LCS and saw absolutely nothing that caught my eye. I think I flipped through the entire book and still couldn't find a reason to pick it up.

I was so stupid. I usually do a tiny bit of skimming through my books I purchase blindly, but this one I just picked up and didn't bother. It wins my WBOTM Award.

Big fan of Shazam, huh?

Yeah Shaq is a really good actor.

Also, I like the idea of the comic club being within the OT. Each of the regulars could get a session, be it weekly or monthly, to pick a comic run of their choice (within reason, I'm not reading any 100+ issue runs in a week).

Cutting a good portion of comics out of my pull list is like a weight being lifted from my shoulders. More time reading better comics, and reading more trades when I have the time.

Ms. Marvel is once again the best thing I've read this week. She-hulk could be the next thing to go if the artist or writing doesn't get better.

Zombine

Banned
Cutting a good portion of comics out of my pull list is like a weight being lifted from my shoulders.

Number 1 rule that most good comic shops follow is that you should only pull what you like. Never feel obligated to pulling a character just because you are a fan. I have recently gone through a pull list transition myself.

Now you just need to floppies for all of Remender's Captain America and you'll definitely be tumblr famous

guys post your tumblr urls I want more friends :(

I don't have a tumblr, but I feel like it's become a go-to site for the comic community.

Between Y The Last Man and Saga, I think BKV has catapulted to the top tier of my favourite writers. Now I'm just hungry for more awesome series. I tried trasmet, but found it very difficult to get into.

I followed Y: The Last Man back when it was a monthly release, and he's been my favorite ever since. Check out Runaways, Pride of Baghdad, and Ex Machina.

People who criticize Saga fail to realize it's better than anything else on the market right now, including their favorite comic. There are maybe two or three other books that even approach it in terms of quality. Five years from now, nobody will be talking about the current runs of All-New [Insert Marvel Character Name Here] or any of the 10+ monthly Bat [Insert Modifier Here] releases. But we will be talking about Saga.

Signed,
A BKV Fanboy

Vibranium

Banned
I just read Y: The Last Man....The whole thing, 1-60....In two sittings.

11/10...except the last issue was a bit weird.

It was excellent, though I did feel the Conservative crazy women running loose was a bit much. I'd like to think that the good ladies out there would be able to hold back and police the stupid.

The last issue did get weird, but I got really sad and emotional since I really liked Yorick and completely understood his self-loathing. Great book.

Wool

I followed Y: The Last Man back when it was a monthly release, and he's been my favorite ever since. Check out Runaways, Pride of Baghdad, and Ex Machina.

People who criticize Saga fail to realize it's better than anything else on the market right now, including their favorite comic. There are maybe two or three other books that even approach it in terms of quality. Five years from now, nobody will be talking about the current runs of All-New [Insert Marvel Character Name Here] or any of the 10+ monthly Bat [Insert Modifier Here] releases. But we will be talking about Saga.

Signed,
A BKV Fanboy

Sandman Overture isn't on a very consistent release schedule, but the two issues we've gotten are some of the highest quality things I've ever read. Dark Horse Presents, Black Beetle, Manhattan Projects, and some other Image books are all up there in quality but don't come close to Saga in sales. IDK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom